AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaloum View Post

Thanks for the feedback!

With your old AVR745 how was it set up and how is this different from the AVR7550HD?

Have you run the Ezset EQ ?
Are the parameters set the same way as they were with the AVR745?
(ie whether automatic or manual is the end result a match with the previous setup when you look at the actual settings...)
Can you actually look at the settings chosen by Ezset, or are the settings "invisible" unless set manually?

Just wondering whether the difference in sound is due to Ezset behaving differently... (in which case manual adjustment might tune it to the same settings)

It would be very sad to find out that the brand spanking new AVR7550HD takes a step back sonically from the flawed but great sounding AVR745!!!

Bye for now

David

From what I've read, the eq and L7 are both improved in the 7550HD to previous models, so I doubt it would a step back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1592 Old 10-04-2009, 11:27 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaloum View Post

Thanks for the feedback!

With your old AVR745 how was it set up and how is this different from the AVR7550HD?

Have you run the Ezset EQ ?
Are the parameters set the same way as they were with the AVR745?
(ie whether automatic or manual is the end result a match with the previous setup when you look at the actual settings...)
Can you actually look at the settings chosen by Ezset, or are the settings "invisible" unless set manually?

Just wondering whether the difference in sound is due to Ezset behaving differently... (in which case manual adjustment might tune it to the same settings)

It would be very sad to find out that the brand spanking new AVR7550HD takes a step back sonically from the flawed but great sounding AVR745!!!

Bye for now

David

I was able to figure out what was going on.

Even though i ran EzSet Eq, the Eq wasn't turned on automatically after the calibration, and unlike the 745 which shows an icon on the display to indicate Eq is on, the 7750 does not.

The tone control was also off; I set it to on and turned up the treble to +10. With these 2 settings turned on i am now getting the warm tight HK sound i am accustomed to. Applying Dolby Volume just adds icing on the cake.

All in all i am impressed with the unit. My initial concerns are unfounded.

EzSet Eq works a little differently than on the 745. There are no measurements for the surround speakers. I get consistent results each time i run EzSet. The speaker distances are reported consistently each time.

EzSet sets my front and center speakers as large, even though i have Klipsch RB-5 book shelf speakers as fronts and RC-3 II as center. I don't mind, having the fronts set to large, it allows the sub to be set to LFE+LR and the system sounds better this way. When the front speakers are set to small the sub can only be set to LFE. With the 745, i think i was able to set the sub to LFE+LR even when all the speakers were set to small.

Yes, i can view and edit the EzSet settings when EzSet is done automatically and manually.
post #213 of 1592 Old 10-04-2009, 12:07 PM

It appears when Bypass is set to "off" and the Video Mode is set to off the unit still applies processing to the video signal and messes it up.

To get the best picture out of my Pioneer 51FD to my Panasonic PT-AX 100 projector, i set bypass to on; The drawback to this is the Avr menu is not overlaid on what's playing.

I hope someone else with the unit can chime on this.
The unit also supports 1080P/24 in bypass mode and with the video mode engaged.
post #214 of 1592 Old 10-04-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCy View Post

It appears when Bypass is set to "off" and the Video Mode is set to off the unit still applies processing to the video signal and messes it up.

To get the best picture out of my Pioneer 51FD to my Panasonic PT-AX 100 projector, i set bypass to on; The drawback to this is the Avr menu is not overlaid on what's playing.

I hope someone else with the unit can chime on this.
The unit also supports 1080P/24 in bypass mode and with the video mode engaged.

When the BYPASS is ON the video signal goes straight through with no post-processing applied, but there will be no GUI/OSD available as this is done inside the Torino. If the BYPASS is OFF then the video signal goes through the Torino even if the video post-processing modes are OFF. Here every HD display can look different especially if it hasn't been calibrated...

Just my $0.015...
post #215 of 1592 Old 10-04-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

When the BYPASS is ON the video signal goes straight through with no post-processing applied, but there will be no GUI/OSD available as this is done inside the Torino. If the BYPASS is OFF then the video signal goes through the Torino even if the video post-processing modes are OFF. Here every HD display can look different especially if it hasn't been calibrated...

Just my $0.015...

When i have more time i will recalibrate my projector to the avr to see how good the video capabilities are. My display was initially calibrated to my Toshiba HD-A2 and when i got the 51FD i just connected it and the picture was as good as the calibrated A2.

The processor in the 7550 over saturates the colors. I know calibration will fix this.

Do you think I will get a better picture with the Torino compared to the processor in the 51FD?
post #216 of 1592 Old 10-04-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCy View Post

When i have more time i will recalibrate my projector to the avr to see how good the video capabilities are. My display was initially calibrated to my Toshiba HD-A2 and when i got the 51FD i just connected it and the picture was as good as the calibrated A2.

The processor in the 7550 over saturates the colors. I know calibration will fix this.

A calibration is suggested.

Quote:
Do you think I will get a better picture with the Torino compared to the processor in the 51FD?

The Pioneer 51FD uses a custom SoC & video processing chipset co-developed between Pioneer and Renesas. Renesas is basically the original Mitsubishi semi-conductor company. Some people really like this processor, others have said some negative things, and I have no experience with it so I can't comment further. The Torino chip is a pretty good performer but again the projector should be calibrated, in the meantime you may want to go into the 7550HD video sub-menu and try a couple of tweaks..

I have tried the 7550HD on my 50" Samsung (LED, 120Hz) and 46" Sony Bravia, both look incredible..

Just my $0.015..
post #217 of 1592 Old 10-06-2009, 11:24 AM

Found this NAS. Seems to be a nice (and quiet) one, but I canĀ“t really figure out if the 7550hd would be able to do network streaming from it. I guess it should be able to as the NAS supports lots of different protocols.
If someone has the knowledge, please share.
post #218 of 1592 Old 10-12-2009, 12:55 PM

Anyone compare the sound to the 8000? My 8000 recently died - I was going to skip HK becuase they don't have Audessey and becuase I've had quality issues on their newer receivers BUT I am currently borrowing an Onkyo from a friend and I am very unimpressed so I may be back to HK equip.

Any more details on the HK room correction in comparison to Audessey?

Sigh I really hate that its only 4 in and 1 out for HDMI. I can't be that much in the minority that I only need 1 or 2 "legacy" analog video connections anymore these days and need more HDMI in AND out instead. And NOBODY has room 2 hdmi - I may have to completly give up on that.
post #219 of 1592 Old 10-12-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrhon View Post

Anyone compare the sound to the 8000? My 8000 recently died - I was going to skip HK becuase they don't have Audessey and becuase I've had quality issues on their newer receivers BUT I am currently borrowing an Onkyo from a friend and I am very unimpressed so I may be back to HK equip.

Sigh I really hate that its only 4 in and 1 out for HDMI. I can't be that much in the minority that I only need 1 or 2 "legacy" analog video connections anymore these days and need more HDMI in AND out instead. And NOBODY has room 2 hdmi - I may have to completly give up on that.

Before tossing the 8000 off the Golden Gate..
Pop the top cover and check the fuses, they have a habit of opening up due to age and continuous stress due to surges...

The 8000 was 1 kick-butt AVR in its day..
But no HDMI , wasn't invented yet..

Just my $0.015...
post #220 of 1592 Old 10-12-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrhon View Post

I've been using HK's EZset/EQ for 4+ years and it does a good job. And the 7500HD, from what I've read, has an improved EZset/eq.
As to how it compares to Audessey, don't know.
And as to your thoughts on Onkyo, I'm not surprised.
post #221 of 1592 Old 10-12-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Before tossing the 8000 off the Golden Gate..
Pop the top cover and check the fuses, they have a habit of opening up due to age and continuous stress due to surges...

The 8000 was 1 kick-butt AVR in its day..
But no HDMI , wasn't invented yet..

Just my $0.015...

Yeah, I took the whole thing apart - its somewhere in the power section but I inspected the fuses etc and its not them. As far as no HDMI... Sigh I had just purchased an iScan for the HDMI + upscaling and a OPPO blu-ray player so I could do lossless via the analog. I had the oppo for all of one week before *poof* the reciever stopped turning on. Actually what it will do is turn on for about half a second and then turn off.

The 8000 was a great receiver if not for that center channel hum (my projector is louder so that wasn't a big deal for movies which was the bulk of its use, but was annoying for SACD).

LOL the thing is so heavy I am worried its going to cost a fortune to take to the dump.
post #222 of 1592 Old 10-12-2009, 02:03 PM

Also, whats the deal with the availability of the 7550HD? I can't find it anywhere that HK lists as distributers on their website.. only place I see are marketplace sellers on amazon. Everyone only has the x600 models while HK themselves say the x600 models are in addition to the 7550HD. The feature of the 7550 that intriques me most is the new EZSet/EQII that is not on any of the other models.
post #223 of 1592 Old 10-15-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Does the 7550hd have a toroidal transformer? Or is it an ecore?
post #224 of 1592 Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo View Post

Does the 7550hd have a toroidal transformer? Or is it an ecore?

Standard ecore..

Just my $0.015..
post #225 of 1592 Old 10-18-2009, 01:56 AM

Hi, a few questions:

- can you use upscale/de-interlace on HDMI inputs? E.g. deinterlace 1080i from HDMI cable box to 1080p? Somewhere I heard that Faroudja may have limitations here
- can you set-up individual video corrections and settings per input?
- can you use Dolby Volume for headphones as well or is it available for speakers only?
- can you predefine a max. volume limit (not to damage speakers / neighbors ) or the mute level (-20dB or -40dB etc.)?
- is DLNA and Flac (streamed from a DLNA meadia server) supported?
- how are the European 760/660 models different from this one? Do they also have the improved EzSet EQ?

Many thanks for your answers!
post #226 of 1592 Old 10-18-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitore View Post

Hi, a few questions:

- can you use upscale/de-interlace on HDMI inputs? E.g. deinterlace 1080i from HDMI cable box to 1080p? Somewhere I heard that Faroudja may have limitations here

The Torino chip is a good one, and you have access to many tweaks but they are deeper in the menu tree.

Quote:

- can you set-up individual video corrections and settings per input?

Yes.
Quote:

- can you use Dolby Volume for headphones as well or is it available for speakers only?

Yes
Quote:

- can you predefine a max. volume limit (not to damage speakers / neighbors ) or the mute level (-20dB or -40dB etc.)?

Not exactly..
One can set the Volume AVR Turn-On level.
Quote:

- is DLNA and Flac (streamed from a DLNA meadia server) supported?

DLNA is supported but the Flac codec is not included.

Quote:

- how are the European 760/660 models different from this one? Do they also have the improved EzSet EQ?

The 760 is the same as the 7550HD, except 230V and no XM Satellite Radio. The 660 is powered down by 10W/CH to the 760 except no 8-Channel Digitizer, no (2) subwoofer out and no video out for Zone II.

Quote:

Many thanks for your answers!

Just my $0.015...
post #227 of 1592 Old 10-18-2009, 10:38 AM

Thanks for your quick reply M Code!
Btw. do you know about any review of the Faroudja Torino chip or comparison with HQV Reon or ABT? I know Faroudja was always good with analogue signals and SD but not sure it still keeps up when processing 720/1080 HD. What's your experience when comparing HK with Denon's ABT chip?

Thanks again.
post #228 of 1592 Old 10-24-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 75
picked one up for $1100. good receiver for the price. went from the avr 645.

i do have an issue where the volume will get higher on the same source and at the same volume level if you turn off the receiver and turn it back on...this is even with dolby volume set to OFF.

i am thinking the dolby volume thing is a little hokey...
post #229 of 1592 Old 10-24-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Mind sharing where you found it at that price?

~kyle
post #230 of 1592 Old 10-24-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

ebay
post #231 of 1592 Old 10-24-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WTF...
$1,100..
Nice catch, sounds like you stole it thats $500 below dealer cost..
Was it a sealed box or a open demo special..

Quote:

i do have an issue where the volume will get higher on the same source and at the same volume level if you turn off the receiver and turn it back on...this is even with dolby volume set to OFF.

Check your GUI/OSD there is a command line for Volume Turn ON level. Sounds like you have this set too high..

Quote:

i am thinking the dolby volume thing is a little hokey...

I have had great sucess with Dolby Volume especially for my HD Tivo box, levels between channels is now balanced. Also works very well with the iPod (Bridge II) and Internet Radio..
I like the EZ SET and dual subwoofers, works incredibly well, for balancing the room's low frequency peaks/resonances. Much smoother than the Denon and Audyssey Multi XT I tried out previously. Plus with Logic 7, I have a very wide, sonic-pleasing soundstage with my Blu-rays.....

Just my $0.015...
post #232 of 1592 Old 10-24-2009, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Some guy has been selling 7550s on ebay dirt cheap. Most end up going for $1000-$1100 & if you dont win he ends up sending you a second chance offer.
post #233 of 1592 Old 10-25-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like the EZ SET and dual subwoofers, works incredibly well, for balancing the room's low frequency peaks/resonances. Much smoother than the Denon and Audyssey Multi XT I tried out previously. Plus with Logic 7, I have a very wide, sonic-pleasing soundstage with my Blu-rays.....

Just my $0.015...

So, you do have a 7550? I read back through this thread about a week ago, and don't remember you saying you did buy one, only that you had demoed them at Northridge.
post #234 of 1592 Old 10-25-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WTF...
$1,100..
Nice catch, sounds like you stole it thats $500 below dealer cost..
Was it a sealed box or a open demo special..

Check your GUI/OSD there is a command line for Volume Turn ON level. Sounds like you have this set too high..

I have had great sucess with Dolby Volume especially for my HD Tivo box, levels between channels is now balanced. Also works very well with the iPod (Bridge II) and Internet Radio..

Just my $0.015...

yeah it was brand new in a sealex box.

as far as the volume getting louder, it does it no matter where the auto volume is set at. for example, i have it at -34 and turn it off and turn it right back on and put it at -34 again and it is much louder. almost like some kind of a loudness feature kicked in. i have calibrated it with the ez set and a radio shack spl meter...
post #235 of 1592 Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah it was brand new in a sealex box.

Great deal!!
Either it was purchased through the HK accomodation program...
Or it came from a side door deal..

Quote:

as far as the volume getting louder, it does it no matter where the auto volume is set at. for example, i have it at -34 and turn it off and turn it right back on and put it at -34 again and it is much louder. almost like some kind of a loudness feature kicked in. i have calibrated it with the ez set and a radio shack spl meter...

Hmmm..
Haven't noticed that..
Does is it happen with all sources...

Just my $0.015...
post #236 of 1592 Old 10-25-2009, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great deal!!

Hmmm..
Haven't noticed that..
Does is it happen with all sources...

Just my $0.015...

yes, all sources. can you see if you can get it to do it? thx

also, why is this receiver not available anywhere? seems like H/K has gone to the 600 series now with their lesser receivers. what's the deal with that?
post #237 of 1592 Old 10-25-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you have the latest firmware..

Just my $0.015..
post #238 of 1592 Old 10-29-2009, 01:50 PM

Liked: 11
Just unpacked the reciever and installed everything. Once I turn it on from standby it says "3CH sensor failure" and shuts down after a few seconds. Search pretty much everything but haven't found anything about what this could be or mean. Any ideas?
post #239 of 1592 Old 10-29-2009, 03:38 PM

[quote=csterl;17442456]
Quote:

Great deal!!

Hi, I just found this forum doing some searches for the 7550HD. I am the guy selling them on eBay and just wanted to let it be known that they are brand new, sealed from the factory. They are not "side door deals" nor were they purchased through the HK acomodation program. Just wanted to put that out there.
Thanks,
Chad

Do you ship to Canada??
post #240 of 1592 Old 10-29-2009, 04:06 PM

[quote=csterl;17442943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_canada View Post

We do, just search for it on eBay or I have one listed here in the for sale section.

drechad??
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page