AVS Forum banner

Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD (2008 announcement)

237K views 2K replies 178 participants last post by  snickers01 
#1 ·
I just heard about this new flagship Harman Kardon receiver model on engadget and other websites. The only info I have is that it is MSRP $2799 and features Dolby Volume control (normalizes volume from different sources).

So, does this mean the 755 and 754 have been renamed or is this a different beast all together.

Here are the links:

Engadget Article
CE Pro Article

Excerpt from the CE Pro article includes the following info:

Quote:
7.2 Channel Harman Kardon 7550HD Offers HDMI 1.3a

Harman Kardon's 7550HD is a 7.2 channel receiver that features Texas Instruments' DA710 audio digital signal processor (DSP) in a dual-DSP implementation.

Other capabilities include:

Dolby TrueHD lossless

HDMI V1.3a

1080p upscaling

an HD on-screen menu system

7 x 110 watts of power output (into 8 ohms)

MSRP

$2,799 in January 2009

#4 ·
And here are the links to the upcoming Harman/Kardon AVR-7550 HD Audio/Video Receiver.

THE FRONT!!!!

http://bitstream.soundandvisionmag.c...imgp2823_2.jpg

AND.......

THE REAR!!!!!!

http://bitstream.soundandvisionmag.c...8/imgp2824.jpg

From what I understand, the Harman/Kardon AVR-7550 HD will be available come January 2009 (and I hope they don't play the delay game like they did the Harman/Kardon AVR-354 back during the summer), and will be priced at $2800.00.

I love the product, but it's a LITTLE too rich for my blood.

Anyone wants to check out this puppy when it finally hits the market in another month and a half or so???

--Charles--

#5 ·
I have my sites set on buying this receiver when it comes out. Several years ago I bought an HK AVR-7200 and loved it. I still have it and it works like new but it does not support HDMI or any of the HD audio formats. Since HK was in between receiver lines last June I bought an Onkyo 875 against my better judgment. It has all the fancy bells and whistles but it just does not have that warm and rich HK sound I desire. Kind of hard to trade up after just buying the Onkyo but if it does not sound the way I want it will drive me nuts forever. I bought the 875 at such a discount its not a huge loss anyway. Plus I can recoup some loss by reselling it.

#6 ·
I bought my HK AVR 745 refurb for under $800. If and when this one gets to that price, consider me in!! I love the 745 but it cannot do 7.1 PCM and has only 2 HDMI inputs and can only pass through 1080i video. I have compensated for some of the short comings by using a HDMi switcher/splitter and am able to get 5.1 PCM and 1080p24 audio for PS3 content.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse /forum/post/15141233

Instead of licensing for dolby volume, thx2 or dynamic eq would be better money spent. Dolby kinda limit yourself to certain sources, considering many blurays are PCM and DTS.

Dolby Volume is an IP that can applied to any incoming source stream, analog or digital, stereo or multi-channel. Its primary function is to balance the dynamic range, a source could be:
a. A compressed stream from Satellite Radio be it XM or Sirius
b. A compressed stream from an iPod or Internet
c. A stream from a TV set-top box be it cable, Sat or off-air, think about when surfing the channels some may be loud while others are lower in volume level
d. Can be used as a nite mode as well

There are 2 parts of Dolby Volume, 1st part is for controlling the source's dynamic range (volume) and the 2nd part is for frequency response tailoring. Also it works independently for each channel. The Dolby demos done @ CEDIA were incredible.

Just my $0.02..

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/15141165

"I love the product, but it's a LITTLE too rich for my blood."

Then you're fine; HK can typically be had for at least 25% off MSRP

I am interested, just as long as it is not as buggy as the 745
Anyway, they will screw the buyers in the first year with an excessive MSRP, and then you will be able to buy it after a 1.5 year for around or under 1k.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 /forum/post/15140547

I have my sites set on buying this receiver when it comes out. Several years ago I bought an HK AVR-7200 and loved it. I still have it and it works like new but it does not support HDMI or any of the HD audio formats. Since HK was in between receiver lines last June I bought an Onkyo 875 against my better judgment. It has all the fancy bells and whistles but it just does not have that warm and rich HK sound I desire. Kind of hard to trade up after just buying the Onkyo but if it does not sound the way I want it will drive me nuts forever. I bought the 875 at such a discount its not a huge loss anyway. Plus I can recoup some loss by reselling it.

I wish my AVR7300 had the Warm Sound
By the way, I have never seen you ask for help on the Audyssey thread. I have seen allot of people complain about the sound of their receiver with Audyssey. Then after going to the thread for help they end up really liking it and state they would never go back to a receiver that didn't have Audyssey room correction
I would give it a try before making statements like you did

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs /forum/post/15612359

We're in the second half of January already - anybody has seen the 7550HD for sale yet ?

It also seems that it will have a slightly less complete and considerably less costly companion with the 6550HD.

Thank you for contacting Harman Kardon. Please note that the AVR7550HD is scheduled to be available in the early summer of 2009. It will appear on our website within a few months, closer to the release date of the product.

oh well, the yamaha is looking better by the minute.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswelter /forum/post/15625910

Thank you for contacting Harman Kardon. Please note that the AVR7550HD is scheduled to be available in the early summer of 2009. It will appear on our website within a few months, closer to the release date of the product.

I talked to Harman Germany today and here the new models are scheduled for a mid May to End of May release.

And - I had a hard time not to laugh out loud on the phone - the new models are now called AVR 660 and AVR 760 here in Europe
Here is a link to the Harman Russia site that already lists them with their new names (and the old European names, too):
http://www.harmansound.ru/catalog/40-1.html

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs /forum/post/15629282

I talked to Harman Germany today and here the new models are scheduled for a mid May to End of May release.

And - I had a hard time not to laugh out loud on the phone - the new models are now called AVR 660 and AVR 760 here in Europe
Here is a link to the Harman Russia site that already lists them with their new names (and the old European names, too):
http://www.harmansound.ru/catalog/40-1.html

I think this is going to be a nice rcvr. I cant wait til summer though.

the logic 7 is a nice dsp option.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswelter /forum/post/15630001

I think this is going to be a nice rcvr. I cant wait til summer though.

the logic 7 is a nice dsp option.

I have used the 745 and the 645 and they are nice but they also have several problems with HDMI audio and do not accept 1080p 24 either.

I would prefer for Harman to stick to a 2 year product cycle in the price bracket of the 660/ 6550HD. To release new models only every 2 1/2 years is problematic.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswelter /forum/post/15625910

RSWELTER, where did you get this information from? I have seen two different news releases from Harman... one says January 2009, then other winter 2009...

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/15141165

"I love the product, but it's a LITTLE too rich for my blood."

Then you're fine; HK can typically be had for at least 25% off MSRP

The 3550HD is identical to the 7550HD, or so it would seem, but with only 75wpc and a lot less money, I've seen $699. If anyone is using a separate power amp, as I am, then paying for the 110w version is a waste of cash.

#22 ·
Hi All,

guess what? the HK AVR 655 and 755 will not be released in US,UK nor Australia.

They are bringing in a another model "HK AVR 660 and 760" and the price will be over $3000 Aus for the AVR 660.

Harmon Kardon US released this announcement in the December 2008 season.

I had a chat to the HK rep and he mentioned provided the above information to me.

the new products AVR 660 and 760 will be on market by May or June 2009.

on their HK site they have listed the release dates as Feb 09 2009. http://www.mediaaudio.hr/site/upload...20.10.2008.pdf

good luck guys, I have to wait for this new model till June now.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adumadu /forum/post/15874422

As per HK rep, AVR 7550 HD will be released in late spring 2009. Keep your fingers crossed :)

Yea...lets keep are fingers crossed that it comes out under $1999. So the loyal HK fans don't get as hosed for when you can buy it under $1k a year later.
H/k sell it for what it is worth

#25 ·
Still nothing from Harman Kardons Website ... who knows when this is actually going to come out ... giving HK HDMI issues and other kinks in the past I am curious as to when exactly this will be released. You can't put out a 2 Grand flagship AVR with any issues. I guess Harman has finally decided to follow everyone elses strategy of high end AVRs with the latest tech and then have everything eventually trickle down. Its far easier to get things to work right when you have a huge budget to do it with the first time i suppose.

Anyway, hopefully this can all put Harman Kardon on the right track and catch up to everyone else.

#26 ·
I just purchased a new AVR 3550HD, I tried it with my NAD power amp, I gotta say I feel the straight 3550HD amp sounds warmer even at 75 watts (35 amps) compared to 150 watts of the power amp offers. It is just a differnent kind of sound it was clean with the power amp onboard but the AVR's amp is cleaner to me. I plan to purchase the 7550HD when it drops below $1300, probabally in 2010 I can't see it dropping any sooner, if you want to see large images of the 7550HD goto my website: JG HK Fan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.