Arcam AVR600 - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the app run the AV888 surround processor?

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this is an old post but hopefully you guys still monitor it for new users. I just ordered an Arcam AVR 600, going from NAD T175HD and NAD 975 amp. Was and still am concerned about bugs and unreliability with Arcam but took a leap of faith due to it`s superior sound quality when it does work. Read a great post on an Australian forum where a guy tested AVR 600 vs NAD master series stuff and he was happier with Arcam. My speakers are Paradigm Signature 6 L/R, C3 ADP1 and sub 25 (all Paradigm speakers). I guess my question to everyone is, Has the bugs been worked out and did I make a good decision?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Turk 182,

I've had my AVR-600 for about three years. From a strictly hardware perspective, it has been a reliable component. The firmware is another story but other than the occasional HDMI handshake hiccup, I think it is performing pretty well. It is a pain to update the firmware via RS-232 port and null modem cable but once you do it the first time, it is easier on the second go round. I bought the ARCAM becuase of its reputation for great sonics and on that note, it hasn't disappointed. I am concerned about ARCAM's lack of corporate support as of late- they won't respond to a simple question via email or even give me an automated response but all-in-all, I think you made a good decision. U r welcome to PM me with specific questions.

Update: WRT to ARCAM support, I did finally receive a response from ARCAM UK as well as ARCAM's stateside rep and my issue was resolved. I understand that ARCAM UK was in the process of moving to new office space. If my understanding is correct, that would explain the lack of timely response.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowicrt View Post

I'm working on an iPhone/iPad remote control app for the Arcam 500/600/888 series. This will contain most of the controls you have on the rc5 remote, and will have a working display which will be realtime (!) synchronized to the actual display on the receiver itself, even if you use the infrared remote

One drawback, since command functionality over the ethernet port of the AVR500/600/888 is broken (all references to it are now officially being removed from the documentation by Arcam) you will need an tcp/ip-to-rs232 converter (e.g. like Global Cache's IP2SL) to get this working.

Anyway, the prototype is working, i have some details and bugfixes to do, so it will be at least a couple of weeks before this will be available in the Apple AppStore. I hope you like it

LL

LL

LL

I certainly appreciate your efforts but to be able to use the app, I will need to buy this converter plus cables? If so, it would not be cost effective for me as the converter is not cheap by any means.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:37 PM

Liked: 21
I picked up an AVR600 a few months ago based on sustained positive comment about audio quality. It replaces CARY 300SE monoblock valve amps and drive my original Amarro speakers. This change came about as I converted a stereo-only outfit to a home theatre, but with strong bias still towards audio quality

I have an OPPO 105 BluRay player as primary source and let he OPPO do the video processing ( bypass the Arcam for video) while the AVR600 does the surround sound processing as well as acting as power amp for the analogue stereo output of the OPPO.

I couldn't be happier with audio quality for either processed surround sound or purist stereo performance.

Irritations are:
1. Loud pops thru speakers when changing sources and other actions.
2. HDMI foul-ups around the system which I think are caused by the Arcam. Note that the video panel is a Samsung 55ES8000.
3. Lip-sync issues. How can I make the Arcam not mess with audio delay?!

As part of the deal on the AVR600 (it was a store demo it) the shop threw in an Arcam BDP100 BluRay unit. It make a nice sound but is flaky with BluRay playback....not to mention SLOW!!! Certainly the OPPO is the choice as AV source.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Is yours made in the UK? Firmware up to date?

1. Rarely happened with mine when using HDMI. You can mute it first before switching. Or use MCH analogue inputs.

2. No issue with mine. Not sure what foul-ups you mean but since the 600 is bypassed for video it can't be responsible for any issues on the TV.

3. Don't notice it with mine. Usually it's the other way round. Set lip-sync to -5. Any settings on player and TV? Or use MCH analogue inputs or route video through it and see what difference it makes.

The BDP100 is a botched job and only worth it as a CD player.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwillia33 View Post

I picked up an AVR600 a few months ago based on sustained positive comment about audio quality. It replaces CARY 300SE monoblock valve amps and drive my original Amarro speakers. This change came about as I converted a stereo-only outfit to a home theatre, but with strong bias still towards audio quality

I have an OPPO 105 BluRay player as primary source and let he OPPO do the video processing ( bypass the Arcam for video) while the AVR600 does the surround sound processing as well as acting as power amp for the analogue stereo output of the OPPO.

I couldn't be happier with audio quality for either processed surround sound or purist stereo performance.

Irritations are:
1. Loud pops thru speakers when changing sources and other actions.
2. HDMI foul-ups around the system which I think are caused by the Arcam. Note that the video panel is a Samsung 55ES8000.
3. Lip-sync issues. How can I make the Arcam not mess with audio delay?!

As part of the deal on the AVR600 (it was a store demo it) the shop threw in an Arcam BDP100 BluRay unit. It make a nice sound but is flaky with BluRay playback....not to mention SLOW!!! Certainly the OPPO is the choice as AV source.

How are you bypassing video on the Arcam? Are you physically bypassing? I know the Arcam did not have a passthrough option.

It's been several years for me since I had the 600 but I recall the popping was a real concern at the time. I assumed that should have been resolved by now. As Kilian stated, make sure you have the latest firmware installed.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

How are you bypassing video on the Arcam? Are you physically bypassing? I know the Arcam did not have a passthrough option.

It's been several years for me since I had the 600 but I recall the popping was a real concern at the time. I assumed that should have been resolved by now. As Kilian stated, make sure you have the latest firmware installed.

Firmware: I asked the retailer to ensure latest firmware was installed,, which he assured me. I checked and it is version 2.1

I run the HDMI#1 out directly from the the OPPO105 to the Samsung TV and the OPPO's HDMI#2 output to the ARCAM600 "AV input". The OPPO is "smart" about configuring this setup and ensures HDMI audio is carried to the ARCAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

Is yours made in the UK? Firmware up to date?

1. Rarely happened with mine when using HDMI. You can mute it first before switching. Or use MCH analogue inputs.

2. No issue with mine. Not sure what foul-ups you mean but since the 600 is bypassed for video it can't be responsible for any issues on the TV.

3. Don't notice it with mine. Usually it's the other way round. Set lip-sync to -5. Any settings on player and TV? Or use MCH analogue inputs or route video through it and see what difference it makes.

The BDP100 is a botched job and only worth it as a CD player.

I mute the ARCAM during changes (generally have to be reminded by a pop or two). Given that I use the AVR600 only to manage audio from the OPPO then the only issue I have had were when switching speakers off and then trying to resume playing of a disc - the AVR600 often would refuse to manage the digital feed and I would have to cycle it off to resume. I don't do this much any more because the centre speaker I had made up to match the front L/R speakers seems to have settled in (burned-in?) so I do not flip-flop from 5.1 to 4.1 when I want best audio output.

On video side, I occasionally use the Arcam BDP100 for play disks: never have a problem with SD DVD disks, but ran into freezing difficulties a number of times with BluRay disks. I used the settings menu to force the BDP100 to output 1080p and that seems to have fixed the HDMI handshake problem.....but I'll stick with the OPPO and sell the BDP100.

On lipsync, I have capability to manage this with the OPPO (where there are several firmware upgrades recently to address lip-sync on specific types of AV hardware which can be fed thru the OPPO).
Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Fw 2.1 is very old, at least 2-3 versions out of date.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:52 AM

Oh terrific!

I checked the manual - not much help: have PC and RS232 port and upload something..... No source of firmware on arc am website from what I can see.

Any way to do this using a Mac computer?
Old 08-23-2013, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have been away a little while, have a quick question. Sometimes when I turn my AVR 600 on, the sound is so low, have to turn it up. Other times, it is super loud, and have to turn it down. Anyone else have this issue? It's happens alot. I do not mess with the sound settings, just driving me crazy. Don't know if its going to be loud or soft when I turn it on. Is there something I can do with this?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post

I have been away a little while, have a quick question. Sometimes when I turn my AVR 600 on, the sound is so low, have to turn it up. Other times, it is super loud, and have to turn it down. Anyone else have this issue? It's happens alot. I do not mess with the sound settings, just driving me crazy. Don't know if its going to be loud or soft when I turn it on. Is there something I can do with this?

Brickyardz,

My primary source for my AVR 600 is a Motorola HD DVR. Oftentimes, when I power up my AVR600, I find the sound to be loud or a little boomy and I am not just referring to commercial ads. My firmware is up to date. My solution is to toggle the Direct button, which I believe resets the DSP. In any case, my ARCAM returns to a more appropriate sound level and the workaround only takes a few seconds. I can then relax and enjoy my programming.smile.gif

Ken
Old 08-25-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hello Ken,
Thanks for the reply, I have Verizon Fios. It happens every once in awhile. Let me ask you this, did you upgrade your firmware yourself? Mine needs to be done, but I do not have a pc, I have a Macbook Pro. Thanks again, I just tried what you mentioned. john
Old 08-25-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post

Hello Ken,
Thanks for the reply, I have Verizon Fios. It happens every once in awhile. Let me ask you this, did you upgrade your firmware yourself? Mine needs to be done, but I do not have a pc, I have a Macbook Pro. Thanks again, I just tried what you mentioned. john

I have FIOS as well. I updated the firmware using a null modem cable and USB to serial converter connected to a Windows laptop. I reset my ARCAM to factory defaults per ARCAM's instructions after the update.. Be sure to record all of your settings. Not nearly as simple as devices that update themselves over the internet. The process was intimidating the first time but less so the second. Now that ARCAM has an updated version of the AVR 600 with the 3D board, you want to select the right firmware from the ARCAM website or you can always ask them to email you the right firmware for your 600. I hope the Direct toggle trick works for you.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:51 AM

I purchased a HDMI 1.4 version AVR600 in early November. The outside of the box stated “Software version 3.10 Updated 11/4/2013”. Checking Menu/Info confirms this.

This is a pretty complex piece, at least to me. On initial setup I had picture but no sound. A reset to factory defaults and rerunning set up cured this.

Getting HDMI to output to two displays simultaneously proved difficult but I did finally get that resolved.

I am extremely pleased /thrilled with the sound. No pops, HDMI handshake or other issues save one. My guess is the current firmware actually has a mute routine written into the code, as the sound does mute briefly when changing inputs or even when adjusting one of the mode parameters. (Adjusting the treble for instance)

I did purchase the rControl app for iPad and iPhone along with the ethernet-to-RS232 converter. This app works very well and has a cool feel to it.

Thus far the unit is proving quite reliable.

The “Net” input is with its internet radio is a neat feature and the ability to browse and select favorites (at this site http://www.arcamradio.co.uk/setupapp/arc/asp/AuthLogin/SignIn.asp ) from among 27,000 stations helps to improve the somewhat clunky feel of this interface.

Home network streaming is an important feature for me as I have ripped most of my CD collection to my home PC in WMA Lossless format. The Arcam plays this file type perfectly.

My one issue is even though Arcam clearly states it will play FLAC, mine does not. My unit recognizes the album, artist, file type, "flac" and then the screen shows “File Format Error” and does not play.

Interestingly my Oppo BDP-93 will not play WMA Lossless, but does play streamed FLAC files. So, I can play both file types, but with some inconvenience.

I have been downloading several 24/96 hi rez FLAC files from HD Tracks lately. They sound great but I have to play them through the Oppo, whereas my ripped CD’s need to be streamed through the Arcam. Obviously I would like one unit to play both WMA Lossless and FLAC

May I ask anyone with a HDMI 1.4 AVR600 either with software version 3.1 or earlier to attempt playing a FLAC file and let me know what happens?

I have corresponded with the very cordial Tom McGhee, Arcam's U.S. tech Rep, but at this point do not have a resolution.

My guess/hope is this is a software issue and not related to the HDMI 1.4 board and hope at some point a software update will resolve the issue. If someone with a HDMI 1.4 Arcam board can play FLAC with a different software version, then it is likely software. If they can play FLAC with the same 3.1 software, I probably have a hardware problem.

I will appreciate any reply.
Thanks,
Old 04-14-2014, 12:53 PM

Hey JDeaton!
I have exactly the same version of AVR600 bought in Dec 2012, that came with 3D and HDMI 1.4 on board and FW 3.10. I can play FLACs through the built-in Network app using Synology NAS as a DLNA streamer. It does not play hi-res FLACs though, unless I enable transcoding in NAS. My AVR however does not play hi-res stereo PCM through HDMI or digital COAX, I tried my PC as well as Pioneer blu ray player. It does play hi res multichannel PCM or DTS-HD MA without any problem though, which is really weird and I suspect a faulty board...
Old 04-14-2014, 05:53 PM

Hi centor,

Here is what I think I know.
As it turns out, the AVR600 does play streamed flac files but only up to CD (44.1 KHz) resolution. It will recognize but not play high resolution 96K or 192K files whether streamed from your network or stored on a thumb drive. Not sure I can offer any details regarding PCM via HDMI or coax through PC or Pioneer Blu-ray player. However, I can confirm the AVR600 will play resolutions up to an including 192K over my home network via HDMI through my Oppo BDP-105D.
What it doesn’t like however is changes in resolution. It does fine if all the songs in your playlist are 44.1K or 96K or 192K, but if one mixes resolutions the receiver (chip/board/whatever) gets confused and either emits silence, or worse, digital noise which is rude and potentially destructive.

From corresponding with Arcam’s very helpful tech rep, Tom McGhee, allow me to offer a couple suggestions.

1. Consider JRiver Media Center rather than Windows Media. Media Monkey is good too but for me more complicated than JRiver.
2. Use another device to stream to. In other words, stream to a Blu-ray player like an Oppo BDP 103 or better still a BDP 105; then HDMI to the Arcam. (or in the case of the 105 analog out to the Arcam)
a. In my case, my older BDP-93 will accept up to 96K but not 192K. My new Oppo 105D will accept and play all including 192K over HDMI to the Arcam (Listening to 192 via HDMI as i write this)
3. The ultimate digital solution is to invest in a dedicated audio PC connected via USB to an outboard DAC, then stereo analog out to the Arcam. (Any current PC will work, but for what it’s worth, I bought a tiny little, 1TB, Lenovo Idea Center Q190 for about $350 and a Meridian Director DAC, about $700.) You will be shocked by how good the sound is. This combination makes 44.1K CD’s sound like Hi Rez, and Hi Rez 96 and 192K sound like magic!) For about the same price, and more connection options look into the Arcam irDAC.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:51 PM

Really? I wouldn't expect an audible difference from external DAC as I thought that AVR600's DAC was already pretty good. I will consider this option, thanks for the hint. Now back to my problem. I really think I have a faulty board. It plays everything through HDMI except for hi-res stereo PCM. Despite Arcam recognizing the format and showing a 2.0 88 kHz or 96 kHz. Just no sound. I tried over PC and BD player with the same result. Anyways I don't really feel like demanding a warranty repair just for this small drawback, but on the other hand a product for such a price should be flawless...
Old 04-15-2014, 03:07 PM

Sorry, I might have moved the focus away from your original issue by emphasizing my problem. So you can't play FLACs at all through the AVR's network client, right? Well my AVR does that pretty well but the format has to be up to 44-24 bit stereo. Neither 48 kHz, nor multichannel. With one exception, though. DTS-CD format, which is DTS 5.1 44-24 encapsuled in WAV format (or even FLAC alternatively). I already helped a lot of guys wanting a straight multichannel playback from their NAS/DLNA servers with this hint. From Arcam, Marantz or even older Sony AVRs that carry the DTS decoder flag. Just in case you're interested in playing multichannel just with the built-in Network client...
Old 04-15-2014, 03:10 PM

If you are attempting playback of higher than 44.1K flac files using the AVR600 via the network client or via the USB input as a source the receiver is not capable. Tom McGhee from Arcam investigated with the Arcam engineers in England and confirmed this. (This fact was somewhat surprising to Tom and disappointing to me.) As I mentioned, I can stream high rez 96k and 192K to my Oppo BDP-105 and output to the Arcam over HDMI successfully. (Just don't mix resolutions as I think it could/will confuse the 600.) My old 2006 vintage Marantz SR9600 with HDMI version 1.1 plays varying resolutions but only up to 96K back to back with no issues.
I appreciate and shared your skepticism, regarding outboard DAC’s. Bits are bits right? Until I actually heard what a high quality DAC can do I thought what could possibly be different regarding digital playback. I suggest you look at this review from Sound and Vision magazine. http://www.soundandvision.com/content/meridian-director-usb-dac
I would say the Arcam’s internal DAC’s are OK, (certainly not the best there is) but the unit’s real strength is the class G amplification, a very fine preamp section, and its ability to sound really good considering it is after all a receiver.
Then again, I can't argue considering the Arcam prices the experience should be flawless.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:21 AM

Centor,

I think I can confirm your original issue of the AVR600’s inability to play hi-rez PCM. As an experiment, from the set-up menu of my Oppo BDP-105, I changed the audio output from “Auto” to “PCM”. (The other option of course is “bit stream”.) I then tried to play CCR’s 20 greatest hits downloaded from HDTracks at 96K over my home network streamed to the Oppo. The result was silence. When I get a chance I will try the same experiment in the living room where I use my old Marantz (with HDMI 1.1) and an Oppo BDP-93.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:03 PM

JDeaton
Yes please try that. I am extremely interested in revealing whether it's a general functionality gap or a failure. Thanks for letting me know. Anyways, I think that bistream in case of stereo hi-res material is still PCM, so Arcam shouldn't play those files through HDMI either way. It doesn't in my case so I would be surprised if yours would.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:41 PM

OK, forget what I said in my previous post. Just for fun I turned the AVR600 and the Oppo on, changed the audio output from bit stream to LPCM on the Oppo, and then turned everything off. After a minute or two, I turned the equipment on again. Now with the Oppo set to LPCM, I’m getting Hi-Rez 96K (with LPCM selected on the Oppo) via HDMI as confirmed by the rControl app loaded on my iPad. (Listening to “Band on the Run at 96K right now)

Why, it’s now outputting PCM over HDMI and would not previously is beyond me. My observation is the AVR600 acts like a computer and needs to be re-booted when it sees certain changes. In other words it can be a little flakey.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:02 PM

Hmm. Interesting. I just can't seem to get the sound here. Too far away from you though - Central Europe :-) Numerous restarts, PC or Bluray feed to HDMI, no sound of hi-res stereo. It works for much more bandwidth-demanding hi-res PCM 5.1 though! Very strange. Anyway, if external DACs overbeat the sound of internal Arcam DAC, I tend more to consider this option and gain even more of it. Not much we can help each other with now I guess... :-)
Old 04-17-2014, 05:13 AM

Hi Centro,
I just assumed I was corresponding with someone here in the USA. So the name “Centro” corresponds to your central European location? How interesting. My wife and I have been to France, (really Paris only) and a partial tour of Italy but have never been to Germany, Austria, Poland, The Czech Republic, Slovakia or Hungry. Our European vacations are some of our fondest memories and we intend to see much more of Europe when I retire in a couple of years. If I may ask, in which of the central European countries do you reside?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:59 AM

Centor is actually a nickname from my teenage years when I experimented with composing electronic music. In some very old English dictionary I borrowed from a school teacher I found a word 'cento' standing for 'unclassifiable music style' probably of Latin origin. So I just added 'r as a man doing it. I like your interpretation derived from center though! Very funny and true in a way too, for I live in Prague, Czech Republic which is often referred to as 'The center of Europe' for its geographic position :-) I never thought of my nickname in this context, thanks for inspiration! Also I thought you would have recognized me already by now as a non-native US/UK speaker from the way I write and my grammar errors, so thanks for the compliment. Yes, come visit CZ, the country of Vaclav Havel, Jagr, Pilsner beer and friendly bohemian people!