post #181 of 1286 Old 04-25-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Is there an rs-232 command list published for these units? Someone mentioned that the volume control level feedback was amiss. Id be very interested to confirm one way or another.

Thanks

Here you go..

http://www.gaia-technology.com/sites...R600-RS232.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1286 Old 04-25-2009, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice review on the AVR600 if anyone is interested...

http://guidetohometheater.blogspot.c...m-avr-600.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #183 of 1286 Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Nice review on the AVR600 if anyone is interested...

http://guidetohometheater.blogspot.c...m-avr-600.html

Good find. Surely, more reviews are coming.
The AVR600 sounds nothing like a receiver, and more like the higher end processors. I've owned quite a few as you know, and this thing sounds even better! Still can't believe it's just a receiver...
Can't wait to hear what the AV888 brings to the table a month or so from now.

Jose.
post #184 of 1286 Old 04-26-2009, 12:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Thanks adidino.

post #185 of 1286 Old 04-26-2009, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
anyone have a AVR600 and previously had an AV9 ?

just wondering how much of a jump there is with standard D.Digital/DTS/ 2 channel AV9 vs AVR600 ?
post #186 of 1286 Old 04-26-2009, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

anyone have a AVR600 and previously had an AV9 ?

just wondering how much of a jump there is with standard D.Digital/DTS/ 2 channel AV9 vs AVR600 ?

There was a side by side done with the AV9. I need to find it.. I think it might be on the first or second post on this thread?

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #187 of 1286 Old 04-26-2009, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

ok thanks

why not much mention of the new EQ ?

should be the business ? everyone seems quiet about it ?
post #188 of 1286 Old 04-26-2009, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok thanks

why not much mention of the new EQ ?

should be the business ? everyone seems quiet about it ?

Good point. I spent some time with the eq last night. It did a very nice job... It seemed to filter out any resonating frequencies and the sub output is fantastic. Sounds much tighter and more accurate than with the eq off. Top end had lot's of sparkle and detail. My room is pretty well treated so I don't think the eq had to make too many adjustments to compensate. Except maybe in the lower freqencies.

Many have complained that the Audyssey tamed the bass too much and results were poor. However, eq engaged with the Arcam, bass was tight and powerful.

I wouldn't use it for two channel music though. For some reason, 2 channel was a mess with the eq engaged. The nice thing is you can select eq on or off for each input.

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #189 of 1286 Old 04-27-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Sounds much tighter and more accurate than with the eq off. Top end had lot's of sparkle and detail. My room is pretty well treated so I don't think the eq had to make too many adjustments to compensate. Except maybe in the lower freqencies.

I agree
post #190 of 1286 Old 04-28-2009, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't use it for two channel music though. For some reason, 2 channel was a mess with the eq engaged. The nice thing is you can select eq on or off for each input.

Just wanted to add that I spoke to Arcam yesterday regarding the EQ in 2 channel. He agreed the eq had issues in 2 channel and they were working on it. He also mentioned the eq is very basic in it's current state and future firmware updates will add lots of settings and flexibility. He claimed although the eq was not fully operational in it's current state, it was working well enough to include for launch.

I think this is great news and I look forward to future updates.

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #191 of 1286 Old 04-28-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to add that I spoke to Arcam yesterday regarding the EQ in 2 channel. He agreed the eq had issues in 2 channel and they were working on it. He also mentioned the eq is very basic in it's current state and future firmware updates will add lots of settings and flexibility. He claimed although the eq was not fully operational in it's current state, it was working well enough to include for launch.

I think this is great news and I look forward to future updates.

Any indication that future upgrades would bring measurements for multiple positions? I think this is one area of the EQ which needs improvement.
post #192 of 1286 Old 04-28-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_av View Post

Any indication that future upgrades would bring measurements for multiple positions? I think this is one area of the EQ which needs improvement.

Didn't think to ask. I guess I should've...

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #193 of 1286 Old 04-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

I've had the AVR600 for about a week now. Overall very happy with the sound but I have an issue with the center channel presentation. Does anyone else find the dialogue a bit forward sounding?
I was watching Sin City BD last night and my eyes were unusually drawn to the center channel. I've seen the movie before and with my previous other processors, this was not the case.
Room EQ is engaged as it is a better overall presentation.

Jose.

Jose.
post #194 of 1286 Old 05-01-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post

I've had the AVR600 for about a week now. Overall very happy with the sound but I have an issue with the center channel presentation. Does anyone else find the dialogue a bit forward sounding?
I was watching Sin City BD last night and my eyes were unusually drawn to the center channel. I've seen the movie before and with my previous other processors, this was not the case.
Room EQ is engaged as it is a better overall presentation.

Jose.

Jose - How did you make out with the center channel issue? For me, the tweek you suggested works great.

Just spoke to Arcam support again. The next firmware update (1.08) is due in about 2 weeks or so. The advanced version of the eq software should follow shorly.. Looking forward to that most of all.

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #195 of 1286 Old 05-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jose - How did you make out with the center channel issue? For me, the tweek you suggested works great.

Just spoke to Arcam support again. The next firmware update (1.08) is due in about 2 weeks or so. The advanced version of the eq software should follow shorly.. Looking forward to that most of all.

The Eq was somehow boosting the center by about 3-4dbs. That's why my eyes were unusually drawn to the center. Backed it a few dbs and everything is smoother.
Did you mention anything to Arcam about the center boost with the EQ? I brought it up in an email, but they said it might have been some nulls in my room. Funny, another guy in AVForums must have the same null.

Jose.
post #196 of 1286 Old 05-01-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

do you guys get paid/discounted product as beta testers ?!!
post #197 of 1286 Old 05-01-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No... we're just crazy.

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #198 of 1286 Old 05-01-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I had an AVR350 and loved it

If I had the money I'd get a 600 - but I'd be a bit narked with these issues - theres teething and releasing too early...

Quote:

No... we're just crazy.

post #199 of 1286 Old 05-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope. Wish that was the case.

Jose.
post #200 of 1286 Old 05-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had an AVR350 and loved it

If I had the money I'd get a 600 - but I'd be a bit narked with these issues - theres teething and releasing too early...

Besides the center/EQ issue, there's not much I would complain about. In fact, none. Sound quality is as good as I've heard and I've heard/owned quite a few including the Krell S1000(for about a year), HTS 7.1, Cary 11a....
A receiver should not sound this GOOD!

Jose.
post #201 of 1286 Old 05-09-2009, 05:03 PM

FYI,
The new issue of Widescreen Review has a Peter Moncrieff review of the AVR600, and he basically says it sounds better than anything he has heard at any price, receiver or separates. Redefines state of the art.
I recently replaced an Arcam 700 preamp with a Marantz AV8003...maybe I should have waited.
Paul
post #202 of 1286 Old 05-09-2009, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Any news on the new Arcam Processor based on the AVR600? Waiting to hear on monday.... woot.
post #203 of 1286 Old 05-09-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

Any news on the new Arcam Processor based on the AVR600? Waiting to hear on monday.... woot.

Arcam claims by the middle of June. I plan to trade up my AVR600 for AV888. I love this unit so much that the av888 can only be better (if that's possible). I use it as a pre with a Theta amp but I prefer a true prepro solution. However, the avr600 has done well for me so far.

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #204 of 1286 Old 05-10-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I posted this on best prepro's thread but I thought I should post it here as well since people lurking on this thread are curious..

For those interested, I've spent some considerable time with my new AVR600 with both movies and music and I must say I'm very impressed so far. I'm currently using the preouts with my Theta Dreadnaught II as the AV888 pre is not available yet.

I've spent years looking for ultimate audio performance and I can honestly say I finally found it with the Arcam. Prior to the Arcam I've owned the Lexicon MC1, Anthem AVM20, Anthem D1, D2, Adcom GTP888, Parsound Halo C2 and spent some considerable time with the Integra 9.8 (didn't own it) and as some of you may know, I recently owned the Cary 11a. The AVR600 significantly outperformed all these units in every way.

As I prefer a true prepro solution, I will more than likely trade up for the AV888 pre when it's finally released. Arcam really created something special with the AVR600. I'm assuming the AV888 should perform as well or possibly better (if that's possible) but we shall see.

If anyone has the means to audition one at your local dealer, I highly recommend it.

Incredible piece...

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #205 of 1286 Old 05-12-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The latest issue of WSR reviewed the AVR600 (Peter Moncrieff) and gave it glowing reviews... actually sounded more like an infomercial. I've read many reviews in my time but I've never read a review like this where the reviewer was just gushing over the product and made a full out claim this was the best bar none, even when compared to separates or dedicated 2-channel electronics. The way this review was written made me doubt the objectivity he claimed to have but either way, I think Arcam hit a home run with this one. I just have to convince my wife I "need" it. Here are some quotes.

Quote:

The new Arcam AVR600, at the hub of my lab's reference system, gives me the finest sound I have heard in my life, from any system. Ever. Anywhere. Regardless of price. Period.

Quote:

Thus, for such a huge sonic advance beyond the state of the art to be achieved in any product, let alone a modestly priced product, let alone a receiver instead of perfectionist separates, is mind-boggling.

Quote:

The margin of the AVR600's superiority in sonic performance is so huge, so dramatic, that it belongs at the heart of every modest system that can possibly budget for it, since it will elevate the rest of your system to sonic heights beyond what you ever in your fondest dreams imagined it could achieve. And the AVR600 also belongs at the heart of virtually all high-end perfectionist systems (whose budget could afford far more than the AVR600's modest $5,000 price), since it will elevate your system's sonic performance even beyond what your present expensive electronic spearates are doing.

Quote:

But when we experience something like that, like the AVR600, goes far beyond what we have heard (or seen) before, it expands our horizons of what is possible, and it literally re-defines the state of the art.

post #206 of 1286 Old 05-12-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I'm sure it's a great piece, but the guy's a little nutty. He wrote a similar review for the AVR300 a few years back.

Dave

post #207 of 1286 Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Well I got the same impression from the Guide To home Theater's little review, I'm wondering now how much of a difference the Pre/Pro will have now that the bar has been set up so high... It's going to be very interesting summer.

Can someone point me the way to the manual for either one..

Thanks

Djoel

post #208 of 1286 Old 05-12-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Well I got the same impression from the Guide To home Theater's little review, I'm wondering now how much of a difference the Pre/Pro will have now that the bar has been set up so high... It's going to be very interesting summer.

Can someone point me the way to the manual for either one..

Thanks

Djoel

Hey Dan,

Here is a link for the AVR600, there is a pdf of the manual on the product page. http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,fmj,...ers,AVR600.htm

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #209 of 1286 Old 05-12-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocoloco View Post

The latest issue of WSR reviewed the AVR600 (Peter Moncrieff) and gave it glowing reviews

Which issue# is that? I cant see it online, the latest i see is #139.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #210 of 1286 Old 05-12-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
It's issue number #140 May/June 2009

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page