post #271 of 757 Old 11-25-2009, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

I have the same basic setup. My HT is good, but not great. I havr an Onkyo SR-806 with Audyssey but it is not Pro or anything like that... I want to step up and make it as good as I can. I am running PSB Synchrony One towers and CC along with two HSU ULS-15 subs... I do have great speakers, just need the equipment to be on the same level so I can have the best possible HT in my home that is possible for me.

Nice set up.

I think your 806 has MultEQ XT, and that's the same platform the Pro in the NAD would work off of, (unless they've changed something.)

The Pro application gives you more accurate mic and the ability to do more measurements, customize target curves, save measurements for re-loading plus the ability to defeat its' midrange compensation, but it still works off the XT platform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 757 Old 11-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
SO, it wouldn't be that much of an upgrade? It does NOT have the XT. Just the MultiEC and Dynamic EQ :http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=f

Does this make a difference without the XT?
post #273 of 757 Old 11-26-2009, 07:44 AM

Liked: 10
Happy Thanksgiving to all M15HD thread readers!

"No one can have an idea once he really starts listening" - John Cage
post #274 of 757 Old 11-26-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SO, it wouldn't be that much of an upgrade? It does NOT have the XT. Just the MultiEC and Dynamic EQ :http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=f

Does this make a difference without the XT?

There is definitely an improvement to be had going from the basic MultEQ to the MulEQ XT platform. Higher resolution and Pro capability.
post #275 of 757 Old 11-27-2009, 02:42 AM

Anyone have a picture of the new remote control? How is it? Does it do the job as an universal remote control?
post #276 of 757 Old 11-27-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loooogical View Post

Anyone have a picture of the new remote control? How is it? Does it do the job as an universal remote control?

The HTRM is a really nice universal remote. That being said, I have/use a Logitech Harmony One + the TiVo "peanut" but I wouldn't be giving up much (read: activities and large, color touchscreen) by going with the HTRM and Tivo remotes...

The HTRM has a nice solid feel: I think it's an all-aluminum body. Also, the buttons are nicely back-lit and the LCD gives you some basic info. You can program it using your PC too...

HR pic of both controllers (note: that's a vinyl sleeve, not a CD, they're on):

The Surround/Center (Dialogue)/Sub level controls at the bottom are really cool and useful. I have them on the first screen of my programmable, "soft buttons" on my Logitech Harmony.

post #277 of 757 Old 11-27-2009, 09:40 PM

Update: MC 2105 looks like it's going to be my new amp for my front L/R

Blown Away!

post #278 of 757 Old 11-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

There is definitely an improvement to be had going from the basic MultEQ to the MulEQ XT platform. Higher resolution and Pro capability.

Bottom line for me is: I need to have something that will help me with my horrible room. The best room correction I can get (afford) will probably be golden. After that, I am not sure how much different an Onkyo pre would be -vs- the NAD...

However, this really should put the M15HD on par with the likes of Anthem and Classe then? The new processing power of the HD model must make a huge difference. Now I just need to figure out what amp(s) I need for my HT. (PSB Synchrony One Towers and CC) Been looking at the Emotiva Stuff. Anyone think those would be good with the NAD processor and PSB Speakers?
post #279 of 757 Old 11-28-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bottom line for me is: I need to have something that will help me with my horrible room. The best room correction I can get (afford) will probably be golden. After that, I am not sure how much different an Onkyo pre would be -vs- the NAD...

However, this really should put the M15HD on par with the likes of Anthem and Classe then? The new processing power of the HD model must make a huge difference. Now I just need to figure out what amp(s) I need for my HT. (PSB Synchrony One Towers and CC) Been looking at the Emotiva Stuff. Anyone think those would be good with the NAD processor and PSB Speakers?

Like I said earlier, try to figure out some passive room treatments too, because there's only so much any EQ'ing can do.

Don't know much about the Emotiva's except they're pumped pretty hard here, no doubt because of their price and internet exposure.

That's a very nice system you're putting together, and if I was amp shopping for that gear I'd be looking at a D-Sonic 2500-7 or the M15's mate the NAD M25.

The M25 is a real sleeper, and probably the best value of the Master Series products IMO.

The D-Sonic is a modular design that is the same as having three Bel Canto Ref e1000's and four M300's in one chassis. Pretty close to top of the food chain for an amp and at mid level pricing, and enough power for whatever you may throw at it down the road.
post #280 of 757 Old 11-28-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm in the market for a pre-pro for 2CH (Dynaudio Towers) and HT use (5.1 only). The M15HD is on my short list of options but it's more than I'm willing to spend right now. I'm well aware of the Onkyo/Integra offerings, not so aware of what falls in-between, price-wise. Would anyone that either owns the M15HD or is considering it mind sharing the alternatives they're considering?

The Parasound C3 looks promising but it's availability date is still in question.

JohnNY-C - You can save your fingers because I put you on my ignore list back on page 7.
post #281 of 757 Old 11-28-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post

I'm in the market for a pre-pro for 2CH (Dynaudio Towers) and HT use (5.1 only). The M15HD is on my short list of options but it's more than I'm willing to spend right now. I'm well aware of the Onkyo/Integra offerings, not so aware of what falls in-between, price-wise. Would anyone that either owns the M15HD or is considering it mind sharing the alternatives they're considering?

The Parasound C3 looks promising but it's availability date is still in question.

JohnNY-C - You can save your fingers because I put you on my ignore list back on page 7.

There's a bit of a gap there isn't there? I think the only thing in that gap is maybe the Marantz 8003, but as I posted somewhere earlier, I'm leery of why it got discounted so early in its' life cycle and would suggest doing some homework.
Denon is supposed to be coming out with one in that price range too. If they get it as right as the AVP, it could be one to check out.
post #282 of 757 Old 11-28-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's a bit of a gap there isn't there? I think the only thing in that gap is maybe the Marantz 8003, but as I posted somewhere earlier, I'm leery of why it got discounted so early in its' life cycle and would suggest doing some homework.
Denon is supposed to be coming out with one in that price range too. If they get it as right as the AVP, it could be one to check out.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of a sibling to the Denon AVP.
post #283 of 757 Old 11-28-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

There's a bit of a gap there isn't there?

Between the NAD and the Parasound C3?

Or between the NAD and the Onkyo/Integra?

I'm thinking you meant the latter, but just checking--thanks.

Dave

post #284 of 757 Old 11-28-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Between the NAD and the Parasound C3?

Or between the NAD and the Onkyo/Integra?

I'm thinking you meant the latter, but just checking--thanks.

Yeah, the latter, I don't recall where the C3 is going to be priced...
post #285 of 757 Old 11-28-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, the latter, I don't recall where the C3 is going to be priced...

It was announced at $3500, but who knows now with all the delays.

A full list of shipping pre/pros and MSRP is here.
post #286 of 757 Old 11-29-2009, 03:16 PM

My Audyssey Installer's Kit is here so, see below!

Have a relaxing week!

Best Regards,
John

RDY:

post #287 of 757 Old 12-02-2009, 05:04 PM

Okay, here's a quick preview: 3 measurements - lots of background noise during measurements but decent results. Sound: [edit: ] WOW. I'm going for 6 more measurements later tonight.

In the end, with 24 positions available: I'll have to make a grid like a crime scene and keep the mic moving for a few hours. I'll have my entire apartment covered... 12x18x9

Will update with more results later...

Update: No more measurements tonight: I'm enjoying this right now. It's amazingly holographic, detailed (hauntingly realistic) and it gave my room, door-bending bass - "the-down-low." Like listening for the first time... Some of the curves look like they could be massaged more but so far, sounds good.

For the sake of brevity* etc...

*and me getting my butt back to my chair.

Current Set-up:

... and one of the little beast nearly causing room lock:

post #288 of 757 Old 12-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone else have this and feel the same way as JohnNY-C?
post #289 of 757 Old 12-02-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Anyone else have this and feel the same way as JohnNY-C?

From the looks of my serial number (<20) and the fact that only dealers have the kits+M15HDs (night-and-day compared to no ARC) you'll be hard pressed to find many end-users as far along with the prepro as I am...

...Soon...

post #290 of 757 Old 12-02-2009, 07:15 PM

5 positions, flat target, no midrange compensation:

post #291 of 757 Old 12-02-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Yes, IMO it's correct to a large extent. There's only so much RC's can do for a really bad room, but they will do more good than harm. If you can incorporate passive room treatments, you'll obviously get even better results. It doesn't have to expensive or ugly acoustic panels to make a difference either, sometimes even a strategically placed throw rug or bookshelf can make a positive difference.

Have a read over on the Audio Setup and Theory threads re; room acoustics and treatments. Once you get the general concept, you can bring out your creative juices to find some high WAF options.

If you do get an Audyssey equipped unit, go to the Audyssey thread and find the link to giomania's excellent Audyssey setup guide. It's got a lot of good tips & tricks to make sure you get the most out of it when you do use it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check giomania's Audyssey setup guide and report back.

Also note that at very high volumes, when I start to raise it more, it just makes the "room/venue" seem larger - can't crank out any more detail I presume.

post #292 of 757 Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Does room correction have any effect when you just have a 2.0 system? I will be running my NAD M15 HD in a 2.0 system the first months (until I can afford more speakers), and was wondering if there is any point in buying the Audyssey kit right away?
post #293 of 757 Old 12-03-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does room correction have any effect when you just have a 2.0 system? I will be running my NAD M15 HD in a 2.0 system the first months (until I can afford more speakers), and was wondering if there is any point in buying the Audyssey kit right away?

I use Audyssey no matter what the source is. What it does for the bass is so valuable IMO that regardless of the amount of speakers it's an asset.

I haven't run 2.0 for a long time and that's because Audyssey is so good at blending the subs and mains that 2 channel sounds better using sub/s. Even with my full range Signature S8 v.3's I run 2.2 and cross them over at 40hz and use Audyssey "Flat" for 2 channel music. While there's not a lot of info below 40hz, there is harmonics that low which come from bass instruments above, having that reproduced accurately in-room just adds to the naturalness of of the entire soundstage.

Audyssey's fuzzy logic is designed to do as little correction as possible so if the top end is fine it won't touch it really..
post #294 of 757 Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNY-C View Post

5 positions, flat target, no midrange compensation:

Check your sub's volume level.

I think -12db is the maximum amount of level cut per channel that Audyssey can do, and you could be loosing some headroom that way - especially since it's boosting a few frequencies on the sub channel. Try running it again with the subs' volume turned down so it sets it at -9db or less.
post #295 of 757 Old 12-03-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

Does room correction have any effect when you just have a 2.0 system?

Yes.

Quote:

I will be running my NAD M15 HD in a 2.0 system the first months (until I can afford more speakers), and was wondering if there is any point in buying the Audyssey kit right away?

Depends on two factors.

1) How bad are your acoustics now? Even (or especially) for two channel REQ will have an ameliorative effect but the magnitude depends on what you have.

2) Will you be buying the kit anyway in the foreseeable future? If so, why not buy it now because you can make use of it immediately and because prices will probably not go down. Besides, you will develop skill with it as you go, so better start now.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #296 of 757 Old 12-03-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Check your sub's volume level.

I think -12db is the maximum amount of level cut per channel that Audyssey can do, and you could be loosing some headroom that way - especially since it's boosting a few frequencies on the sub channel. Try running it again with the subs' volume turned down so it sets it at -9db or less.

Already noted but thanks for the careful look. Also, I apologize to you for any ill will in the past - my fault.

John

post #297 of 757 Old 12-03-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:

It made a noticeable difference for me (not as much as the bass integration helped but now you're speaking 2.1).

post #298 of 757 Old 12-03-2009, 11:37 AM

Kal,

Do you think I should switch to the midrange-adjusted curve or keep shooting for this perfectly flat response?

To be honest, that first 3-mic-placement EQ with midrange compensation sounded more pleasant to listen to for long periods of time... To clear the deck, I know that what sounds better to me is what's recommended, but I'm going to re-run measurements and I want to pick a direction soon and start down that path...

Thanks in advance for your input.

Best Regards,
John

P.S. used the 6 bad measurements and fitted them to a midrange adjusted target curve and I like that better than flat too. I'm going to remeasure to fix my sub's gain issue and report back.

post #299 of 757 Old 12-03-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does anybody know the differences between the M15HD and the T175HD? Does the M15HD use the T175HD's AM200 and VM200 cards, or does it use different cards with higher grade parts, DACs, etc? Just trying to understand what the extra cost of the M15HD buys over the T175HD besides a nicer chassis.
post #300 of 757 Old 12-03-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNY-C View Post

Kal,

Do you think I should switch to the midrange-adjusted curve or keep shooting for this perfectly flat response?

I've never cared for the midrange compensation with my system but I think it may be preferable in some.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Nad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page