post #391 of 752 Old 04-21-2010, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_himey View Post

Another +1 for the M15HD over the T175.

Thus far, no HDMI anomalies have been encountered. All bangs, cranks, pops and relay clicks have been eradicated - including PS3.

Unit functions AS IT SHOULD.

Now for NAD to release a firmware update with a 1080P24 pass-through option. In most cases quality up-conversion to 1080P60 is great. BUT, having to manually change it for every Blu-Ray played is poor. Especially when this option is about three menus deep and takes confirming and saving every time.

IDEALLY : An extra video-setup menu that lets the user specify what the unit does with different video material. There's an audio menu to set user specified defaults for different codecs and audio source type. So, in a high end AV preamp, why not put one in for the video side of things? NAD have made a big deal of the video processing capabilities of its new pre-amp so why not let the user take propper advantage of it?

That way one could specify that, YES, please up-convert my 480i or 576P or even 720p sources to 1080p/60 but leave alone everything 1080i or 1080P/24. A menu title 'advanced' or 'up-conversion' under video setup with a whole lot of yes/no next to source variants would make me a very happy customer. Perhaps take a look at Sony's Playstation 3 and the way they let the user choose exactly what is streamed or down/up converted in their audio setup menu. It takes about 30seconds longer to setup but, once done, one never has to change a thing.

This kind of for-thought or lack-there-of is annoying.

Other than that, the sound is still as strong as ever and anyone previously impressed by NAD Master gear should not be disappointed.

Great sound, great build, software implementation questionable.

is this still a problem with the M15HD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 752 Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 AM

anyone? please help
post #393 of 752 Old 05-16-2010, 06:38 PM

Liked: 10
Would anyone be able to tell me if the M15HD can store multiple Audyssey filters and assign them to specific listening modes? I use my system for both stereo and HT and don't want to recalibrate it every time I change the listening mode. It would be great if I could store a filter for stereo music with my front speakers only and then store another filter for home theatre with everything enabled.

If it's not possible to store multiple filters, is the only option to just leave Audyssey MultiEQ off for certain listening modes?
post #394 of 752 Old 05-16-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-unknown View Post

Would anyone be able to tell me if the M15HD can store multiple Audyssey filters and assign them to specific listening modes? I use my system for both stereo and HT and don't want to recalibrate it every time I change the listening mode. It would be great if I could store a filter for stereo music with my front speakers only and then store another filter for home theatre with everything enabled.

There is no need to recalibrate when changing the number of speakers with modes. The EQ adjustments consider each speaker as a separate entity.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #395 of 752 Old 05-16-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

There is no need to recalibrate when changing the number of speakers with modes. The EQ adjustments consider each speaker as a separate entity.

If my understanding is correct, if I calibrated the system for HT with crossover enabled for the front speakers, wouldn't the filters be incorrect for stereo use as the front speakers are now handling the full range instead of sending lower frequencies to the sub? I'm no expert on the matter but it was mentioned when I asked questions in the Audyssey thread (see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=26999).
post #396 of 752 Old 05-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am contemplating about upgrade from T175 (original) to M15HD. I am sick and tired of the continual popping and audio dropouts that my unit has with several HDMI and S/PDIF sources. Also the better analog section would be nice since I listen to a lot of 2ch music using an external DAC. (Sure feels somewhat risky to go with NAD again. The support has not been stellar; pretty far from it really.)

Has anyone upgraded from T175? Have you been happy with the change?

On another note, has the 24 vs. 50/60 fps issue been resolved yet?
post #397 of 752 Old 05-22-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-unknown View Post

If my understanding is correct, if I calibrated the system for HT with crossover enabled for the front speakers, wouldn't the filters be incorrect for stereo use as the front speakers are now handling the full range instead of sending lower frequencies to the sub? I'm no expert on the matter but it was mentioned when I asked questions in the Audyssey thread (see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=26999).

Your original question was about 2-ch vs 5.1 channel playback needing different EQ. Now you are asking about changing between full range vs bass managed playback. These are independent matters. What I explained was you can change the number of playback channels without affecting the EQ calibration.

If you mess with the crossovers, that will affect playback quality for every speaker configuration. Not recommended.

If your system needs a sub for 5.1, it needs a sub for 2.0. Why turn it off?

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #398 of 752 Old 05-23-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNetRunner View Post

I am contemplating about upgrade from T175 (original) to M15HD. I am sick and tired of the continual popping and audio dropouts that my unit has with several HDMI and S/PDIF sources. Also the better analog section would be nice since I listen to a lot of 2ch music using an external DAC. (Sure feels somewhat risky to go with NAD again. The support has not been stellar; pretty far from it really.)

Has anyone upgraded from T175? Have you been happy with the change?

On another note, has the 24 vs. 50/60 fps issue been resolved yet?

Upgrading to an T175HD and firmware 1.24 eliminated our customers complaints about the T175. Still some pops and clicks surfing the menus on Bluray titles,but none during playback.The clicks are probably associated with switching from PCM to Dolby Digital or Dolby HD. Once locked in it works fine.
He is very pleased overall.
We have installed a couple of the M15HDs. Recently updating the firmware to 1.09. M15HDs definitely sound better than the T175s! Sound quality would be the reason to upgrade.
Be interesting to compare an M15HD with a comparable Anthem preamp. Anthem would seem to be the competition for high value high end preamps.
post #399 of 752 Old 05-23-2010, 08:24 AM

ddingle: Thanks for the reply! I already have the 1.24 fw, so only help would be to get the AM200 and VM100 (I don't have video sources that would really benefit from VM200). But they are very expensive! My T175 should work as it is, I don't need the extra features offered in AM200. The cap removal wouldn't help, though the resistor change could be for the better. Still feels like a flimsy band-aid.

Sorry, of course it is no fault of anyone here. *Though if NAD doesn't read these threads, I would be very surprised..*

Yes, big part of the wish to upgrade would be the better analog section. Just hoping it will not be such an lemon..
post #400 of 752 Old 05-23-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ddingle: Thanks for the reply! I already have the 1.24 fw, so only help would be to get the AM200 and VM100 (I don't have video sources that would really benefit from VM200). But they are very expensive! My T175 should work as it is, I don't need the extra features offered in AM200. The cap removal wouldn't help, though the resistor change could be for the better. Still feels like a flimsy band-aid.

Sorry, of course it is no fault of anyone here. *Though if NAD doesn't read these threads, I would be very surprised..*

Yes, big part of the wish to upgrade would be the better analog section. Just hoping it will not be such an lemon..

I forgot to mention the HD upgrade boards provide a "remarkable" improvement in sound quality too! My T785 at home is way better with the new boards. Not free,but still highly recommended!
post #401 of 752 Old 05-31-2010, 04:48 AM

I upgraded - begrudgingly. The M15HD has no clicking or popping problems. But it mutes the first part of every song, it's expensive video board has poor software implementation and NAD still don't seem to care about any of their customers' problems.
I feel your best option is to get the AM200 board. The VM200 offers no pass-through option, doesn't convert frame-rates correctly and offers no setup features to counter any of this.
This way you'd have a working T175 with HD decoding onboard and the ability to pass any HDMI video source un-molestered. But, you are right, it should have worked from the get-go.
post #402 of 752 Old 06-02-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddingle View Post

I forgot to mention the HD upgrade boards provide a "remarkable" improvement in sound quality too! My T785 at home is way better with the new boards. Not free,but still highly recommended!

I also have a T785 upgraded with AM200 & VM200. The sound is just fantastic.
Then AVR is the center for all components I have .
Agree with ddingle; Highly recommended upgrade!!
post #403 of 752 Old 06-02-2010, 10:34 AM

I'm going with the M15HD. Will have it at the end of this month. Hopefully it will be more transparent on analog signals.

big_himey: How have you got your cd-player connected? S/PDIF and optical or coax?

BTW if someone is wondering whether to believe the data sheet or the manual about the signal to noise ratios and other specifications, the correct values are in the manual. And they are the worse numbers of the two..
post #404 of 752 Old 06-06-2010, 07:17 PM

CD/DVD-Video - S/PDIF via Coax
SACD/DVD-Audio - Anaolog 5.1
Blu-Ray - HDMI
post #405 of 752 Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Upgrading to an T175HD and firmware 1.24 eliminated our customers complaints about the T175. Still some pops and clicks surfing the menus on Bluray titles,but none during playback.The clicks are probably associated with switching from PCM to Dolby Digital or Dolby HD. Once locked in it works fine

good to know there have been successful T175-T175HD conversions. Seems many on the T175 forum have spoke of many issues upgrading to new cards. I've been usining a T175 going on two years now, it has operated mostly clean and error-free (although I had my share of "popping" issues when brand-new)[/quote]

But I'm a little hesitant to buy new HD cards and upgrade fearing un-solveable problems. I'm more apt to just buy a complete new T175HD or a M15HD.

Quote:

M15HDs definitely sound better than the T175s! Sound quality would be the reason to upgrade

are you referring to analog sound here? I would expect M15HD to have slightly more refined analog characteristic due to higher-end (discrete) components used.
post #406 of 752 Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

really, via-HDMI? Is it really noticeable?
post #407 of 752 Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Yes AM200 & VM200 are startling improvement over original boards; really no probs, plus they decode HD audio which is awesome. Very pleased overall.
post #408 of 752 Old 06-13-2010, 03:48 AM

Nice little review in Home Cinema Choice (Here is a link to TechRadar "re-print" of the same). At least if you are not planning on purchasing the M56.. Of course they stay quite firmly in generalities and use with movies. (One can also buy the original issue of the magazine online at zinio.com etc.)

In that review they also "disclose" some MDC details to come: "boards with greater HDMI inputs/outputs, home automation boards integrating Control 4 protocol, and a board that offers bi-directional multimedia streaming over Wi-Fi" /HCC. Well, that Control4 board was pretty known thing and the HDMI 1.4 is pretty much given..
post #409 of 752 Old 07-06-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiske View Post

i also have a t785 upgraded with am200 & vm200. The sound is just fantastic.
Then avr is the center for all components i have .
Agree with ddingle; highly recommended upgrade!!

leave m15hd alone.mine is dead after warrany expired and no call back from bob moran of nad.
post #410 of 752 Old 07-06-2010, 11:07 AM

Contacting bob moran is a joke. He'll talk to you if you have a warranty but only then.my m15 went out christmas of 2009 and was delivered to service center where they could not figure it out. At first they thougt circuit board went out but they were wrong and i find out that the audio and video are tied into the osd and their lies the problem.
post #411 of 752 Old 07-09-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarceneaux View Post

Contacting bob moran is a joke. He'll talk to you if you have a warranty but only then.my m15 went out christmas of 2009 and was delivered to service center where they could not figure it out. At first they thougt circuit board went out but they were wrong and i find out that the audio and video are tied into the osd and their lies the problem.

Just curious, did you end up getting the M15 repaired for free or a cost?
post #412 of 752 Old 07-09-2010, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

leave m15hd alone.mine is dead after warrany expired and no call back from bob moran of nad.

wow, you have (essentially a brand new) M15HD and they won't fix it? Was it functioning fine before it failed?
post #413 of 752 Old 07-09-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:

He means his M15 is dead. An HD model would obviously be under warranty.

This guy has whinged everywhere possible.

Facts:
1. The M15s were an excellent sounding product and worked.
2. He got a dud which happened to die out of warranty.
3. The M15HD is not an M15 with different cards. It is a completely new design.
4. No one that I am aware of, and I know five owners, have had a problem with their M15 or M15HD.
5. I'm sick of this guy's bitching.

He doesn't own an M15HD. He's probably never heard one. And now he's looking at Denon.

It's one thing to be unlucky with a dud and to mention one's unhappiness with a slow return or repair. But logging on and bitching endlessly about a problem with one product and then bagging other products the company makes because of a glitch in something purchased previously is pathetic. NAD make plenty of great gear and their Master Series all sound better than the Denon stuff this guy is now thinking about buying.

He needs to stop telling people what products to "leave alone" when he has no experience with them.
post #414 of 752 Old 07-10-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_himey View Post

He means his M15 is dead. An HD model would obviously be under warranty.

This guy has whinged everywhere possible.

Facts:
1. The M15s were an excellent sounding product and worked.
2. He got a dud which happened to die out of warranty.
3. The M15HD is not an M15 with different cards. It is a completely new design.
4. No one that I am aware of, and I know five owners, have had a problem with their M15 or M15HD.
5. I'm sick of this guy's bitching.

He doesn't own an M15HD

I see (I missed his point there).

Yeah, the M15 is an exceptionally good sounding product (analog). However NAD really missed, and cut-short, the HDMI (audio) implementation, it was practically useless in that context. From this stand-point, combined with much of what I've read about the M15HD so far, I would love to have one (although a little pricey). I've been very happy with my (original) T175 going on two years now.
post #415 of 752 Old 07-10-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Have they fixed the T175? I thought it had probelms?

My Media Room Photos:

post #416 of 752 Old 07-10-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

Have they fixed the T175? I thought it had probelms?

my unit has operated pretty good despite some initial problems which many other were experiencing (ie. popping/transients etc.,...). After a few firmware upgrades I was mostly happy. Although some units (mostly first production run) were worst-off than others and could'nt be corrected.
post #417 of 752 Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

No further confirmation other than NAD's audio-video format document, which says no can do. It also shows that when MultEQ is on, the surround processing (PLII, Neo, etc) modes can only work with 48 kHz sources. Apparently the DSP runs out of gas and cannot do 96 kHz MultEQ and surround processing at the same time. According to NAD's doc, anyway. No movies are made at 96 kHz, so not a big issue I suppose.

Just to clarify, I checked with NAD and they state that the M15HD can handle decoding 5.1 96KHz Dolby TrueHD + Audyssey, but not 5.1 96KHz Dolby TrueHD + Audyssey + DPL2x.

- Tim

post #418 of 752 Old 08-04-2010, 04:38 PM

Apparently M15HD was designed to for pretty much digital input signals only! Only the 7.1 analog input allows the analog signal to go through the processor without any A/D/A-conversions. 7.1 input is the only one input that even has the sound mode "Analog Bypass".

Sure, the A/D-conversion could be pretty good in M15HD, but still I would like to have options.. (Or should I sell my external DAC, eh? I'm not convinced yet..)
post #419 of 752 Old 08-04-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apparently M15HD was designed to for pretty much digital input signals only! Only the 7.1 analog input allows the analog signal to go through the processor without any A/D/A-conversions. 7.1 input is the only one input that even has the sound mode "Analog Bypass".

Sure, the A/D-conversion could be pretty good in M15HD, but still I would like to have options.. (Or should I sell my external DAC, eh? I'm not convinced yet..)

I'm pretty much convinced that DACs have become a commodity and that good ones are easy and cheap to make. But there are many people in the hobby that still place a lot of value on high-end DACs. The only way to know where you stand is to listen to the NAD DAC vs your premium DAC in a blind test. Have a friend do the switching between the two and pick the one that sounds best. My guess is that you will like both about half the time.

- Tim

post #420 of 752 Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone been able to compare this processor to the Anthem D2V? I am really curious to see how it would stack up.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Nad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page