NAD M15HD Surround Sound Processor - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 751 Old 09-27-2013, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The HDMI connectors are really finicky. =(
There are various hacks to try and get them to stay put (though usually behind equipment the cables don't move and they aren't too much of a problem). E.g.: hd EZ lock.

On top of that, the connection should not be made when the units are powered on. I broke one input board on my projector once doing that..

I too have the Audyssey kit, and to my knowledge have been enjoying it with the movies. I don't use it for 2ch music.. (Actually I an external 2ch DAC connected to 7.1 inputs, so I really am not using it for music.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 751 Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I took the card out and inspected it with a 10x loupe. I can see that HDMI1 had something that went across all pins, HDMI2 not as bad, and 3 and 4 were clean.
I had to use a whole can of contact cleaner to leave them clean.
Re-install card and... I only have HDMI3 and 4.
So I called up Spirit and Sound and got the upgrade MV15 card, it was the last one on sale for $650
The original card is $1950!
So once it comes in, Ill install it and then do a firmware update on the unit.

Worst case scenario, if power goes out while doing a firmware update, is there a way to re install it? or does the unit become brick?
I know that with Pioneer Navi system, all I have to do is rename the firmware to newer, higher, number and they go back in.

I hope nothing happens.
post #723 of 751 Old 09-30-2013, 08:24 AM

I think that there is an cmd line / ini file option to forcibly run the FW update. At least that is what I remember from Tx95 thread. (What that value is, IDK.)
post #724 of 751 Old 10-02-2013, 07:59 PM

Back up and running 100%
Very easy install for the MV15 and firmware update.
Love the new interface now, just like M15HD2's
And $300 off!
post #725 of 751 Old 10-04-2013, 06:46 AM

Nice! .. Too bad it is so expensive vs. the other MDC-modules and for what it offers.
post #726 of 751 Old 01-26-2014, 11:44 AM

Help needed again.
I have a Nad M15HD upgraded to HD2
I have the audyssey pro kit installer but i dont know where the mic input is in the back of the M15HD, I know the HD2 in in audio 1 left
but i cant find any info on HD1
Its the RCA output from the Audyssey preamplifier.
post #727 of 751 Old 01-26-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo2k View Post

Help needed again.
I have the audyssey pro kit installer but i dont know where the mic input is in the back of the M15HD, I know the HD2 in in audio 1 left

Generally, the AudysseyPro app will tell you after you have linked it to the prepro.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #728 of 751 Old 01-26-2014, 04:10 PM

Thank you, I just went for it (couldnt wait anymore lol)
For anyone looking for the answer:
its just like the M15HD2, the mic goes in audio 1 left channel.
I cant believe there is no information about this anywhere.
post #729 of 751 Old 01-27-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Quote:

Help needed again.

Generally, the AudysseyPro app will tell you after you have linked it to the prepro.

True, but proceed with caution. The Audyssey 'internal help' isn’t always 100%  accurate unfortunately. For example, I had a hard time when I first bought my Pro kit because the online instructions say to connect the mic preamp to the AUX Left input on the Onkyo 5509. Unfortunately, they meant to say the PC Left input. It took the guys on AVS to get me up and running. Pro documentation is 'patchy'.

post #730 of 751 Old 01-27-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

True, but proceed with caution. The Audyssey 'internal help' isn’t always 100%  accurate unfortunately. For example, I had a hard time when I first bought my Pro kit because the online instructions say to connect the mic preamp to the AUX Left input on the Onkyo 5509. Unfortunately, they meant to say the PC Left input. It took the guys on AVS to get me up and running. Pro documentation is 'patchy'.

I am not sure we are speaking of the same thing.  I was not referring to any online documentation but, rather, the on-screen information in the AudysseyPro application running on your PC.  After recognizing your prepro, the app instructs you how to connect the mic.  Was there a problem for you at that point?

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #731 of 751 Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

I am not sure we are speaking of the same thing.  I was not referring to any online documentation but, rather, the on-screen information in the AudysseyPro application running on your PC.  After recognizing your prepro, the app instructs you how to connect the mic.  Was there a problem for you at that point?

Kal

We are discussing the same thing, Kal.  Yes - the problem was that the in-program help for the Onkyo 5509/5010/3010 is incorrect, as mentioned above. It tells you to connect to AUX Left instead of PC left.

post #732 of 751 Old 01-27-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

We are discussing the same thing, Kal.  Yes - the problem was that the in-program help for the Onkyo 5509/5010/3010 is incorrect, as mentioned above. It tells you to connect to AUX Left instead of PC left.

OK.  This is a surprise to me as all my uses of Pro (which did not include the devices you name) had correct instructions.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #733 of 751 Old 01-27-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

OK.  This is a surprise to me as all my uses of Pro (which did not include the devices you name) had correct instructions.

Kal this would be typical for me - the one time the instructions are wrong is the one time I want to use them :) 

post #734 of 751 Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:

Hello Nad owners.
I have a M15HD... ...lost all hdmi inputs, the hdmi output was still ok.

Same thing just happened to me. Just got my M25 back after the longest repair process ever (out of warranty), and during that time my M15HD ran out of warranty too, and now that I go to hook it up again in place of the temp Denon receiver I've been using, none of the HDMI inputs work, but the output does.

And in my case, jiggling does not seem to help. :c
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNetRunner View Post

Is your unit USA / Canada bought unit? Bob ins't able to provide firmware for units (like mine) that have been purchased elsewhere.

I've always thought this rule sucks, as the local distributor here in Australia just plain won't give out firmware at all (they insist you ship your hardware to them and pay them to install firmware), which means I'm stuck using original firmware (I bought one of the first batch of units shipped into Australia). I wanted to be able to disable the VP competely so it would just pass through HDMI untouched, so I could send 24p, etc (and also because I was always getting mild banding in the picture that wasn't present if plugged straight from source to projector). Supposedly one of the later firmware revisions does allow you to actually disable processing completely, even though it doesn't add any config options, like edge-enhancent strength (it's just on or off), etc. I can't get my hands on it, though, and don't know if the 120v firmware would be happy on a 240v unit, or I'd ask someone to email me it. It would be nice not to have to run a separate, cloned HDMI output to my pre/pro just so I can use LPCM audio without mangling my video or losing the ability to switch frame rates.

So basically, with the M15-HD, I paid a fortune extra for a high-end video processor that I couldn't ever use as it interfered with image quality (and I couldn't configure any options to make it look better), and couldn't even disable, either. So, you can effectively only use it to actively degrade the picture, and can't NOT use it without bypasing the M15-HD entirely for the video, which means no OSD, and thus no config menu (and thus ability to change unit settings), because that stuff ONLY shows on the OSD, not the unit 's VFD display. Bloody stupid. I could look into the MV15 card I guess but here in Treasure Island I bet it costs something silly like $3K. Given that the Gennum VXP in the original supposedly accounted for like a grand to the unit's original US$4k cost, they should offer all HD owners a substantial discount on the upgrade to the HD2's MV15, I feel. (The M15-HD sold for $7500 RRP here, and $AU are within 10% of $US...)

It's lucky it sounds nice as it's an ergonomic nightmare full of short-sighted decisions. :/

Also, given this thing was supposed to be a platform you could just keep upgrading instead of replacing, going with a two line VFD instead of a four line seems like pretty false economy. The top one is always source so if you want to see voume, you can't see input format, and if you see input format, you can't see channel breakdown, etc, etc. Having three configurable lines on the display instead of just one could let you have volume, input format/channels, and listening mode displayed at all times, which would be nice, especially when you can't plug your HDMI source into the unit and thus have no OSD...
post #735 of 751 Old 02-07-2014, 06:42 AM

Pm me your email.
post #736 of 751 Old 02-07-2014, 08:38 AM

Amleth: Would be good if a newer FW would help in the video processing area.

I just enquired NAD support if the MV15 passes through 4k signals: the answer is no. mad.gif Therefore I'm starting to look at HDMI matrix switches to try and circumvent the unit as much as possible. No way am I going to pay 900 Euros for the MV15. (Support said the price is set by the distributor.. Just the opposite what my distributor basically says.)

When I asked if they have anything new in the pipeline, I only got a generic reply: something is planned, but no details can be released yet.
post #737 of 751 Old 02-09-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Pm me your email.

Did you mean me?

Quote:

Amleth: Would be good if a newer FW would help in the video processing area.

I just enquired NAD support if the MV15 passes through 4k signals: the answer is no. mad.gif Therefore I'm starting to look at HDMI matrix switches to try and circumvent the unit as much as possible. No way am I going to pay 900 Euros for the MV15. (Support said the price is set by the distributor.. Just the opposite what my distributor basically says.)

When I asked if they have anything new in the pipeline, I only got a generic reply: something is planned, but no details can be released yet.

I'm not overly concerned about 4K support just yet, but that's only because I won't be able to afford such a display for a few years (and there's basically no content yet, either). Still, I'd expect this capability to be added eventually with an MDC module. I'd be more interested in seeing Audyssey XT32 support added by module first, personally.

Except, I just got off the phone with the local NAD distributor, and apparently the HD2 has been discontinued?! NAD are apparently working on a replacement, but the supplier doesn't know any specs, only that it's "going in a new direction" (whatever that means, they didn't know either, but thought it was something to do with the new digital amps). If this is true, I wonder what's going to happen to MDC module support? They only ever released one for the original M15-HD, and that was just the stock card in the HD2, and there's never been any for the now-discontinued HD2. I was sold on this platform as a "pay a big outlay once, then keep it current with small upgrades", but if they're already abandoning it after just four years, I'll feel pretty betrayed. For something that was supposed to be a fixed platform updated by upgradeable cards, when this successor pre/pro comes out, they'll have updated the "fixed" platform three times, and the cards only once, which seems a bit backwards. And that's assuming the new platform still supports the same MDC modules the HD and HD2 do. It might be a different standard like the non-masters MDC units, or might abandon MDC altogether. :/

Worrying. And for the prices we've paid for this equipement, worrying is something we shouldn't have to do, especially when it was sold to us as future-proof security.
post #738 of 751 Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 AM

I too heard about NAD not making any more MV15 HD2 or M25 amps some four months ago from my distributor. Then he was anticipating NAD to publish something new at CES. Nada, though..

Sure, they have been slow to make any MDC modules, for the MV15 HDs or for the other T-series units. frown.gif I'm still pretty hopeful that they keep making those in the future. For one, not doing so would be such an major blow to their reputation, I'm not seeing them being that eager to shoot their own foot.
post #739 of 751 Old 02-12-2014, 08:39 AM

guys how do I do a firmware upgrade on the M15 HD2? I noticed my firmware is outdated when I installed the iphone app (more out of curiosity than anything else) ... and it threw this message:
"Firmware version is too old, please see your nearest dealer to upgrade your AVR's firmware to the latest version" ... of course my dealer will probably charge me an arm and a leg to do this... and I am 99.99% sure I can do it my self, but can't find the software or the procedure anywhere... I saw some folks in the thread have done it but couldn't find any links or documentation on how to...

Can you guys provide any guideline on this?

Thanks ! smile.gif
post #740 of 751 Old 02-15-2014, 03:19 AM

Doesn't anyone have the latest FW?

xpat78: In the States you should be able to get it from Bob @ Lenbrook (whom provide support for NAD in North America). The FW comes with a pdf instructions on how to execute it. You'll likely need USB-to-RS232 converter; though, you e.g. already have one if you have the Audyssey Pro Kit.
post #741 of 751 Old 03-02-2014, 02:40 PM

Please, anyone?
post #742 of 751 Old 03-11-2014, 04:50 PM

Hello M15HD owners.

I got the M15HD, and use it togehter with a M25 driving bi-amped Dali Mentor 8's.. Sound is awesome! :)

Eather way, Ive been looking into upgrading the M15HD with Audyssey.

Anyone know how much this will cost? Do I need the HD2 upgrade for it to run Audyssey?

I searched around abit on this forum, but there is so much info, and some of it is just half-explained.

I found it easier just to ask here on a M15HD thread.

Thanks for any info :)

post #743 of 751 Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impsak View Post

Hello M15HD owners.

I got the M15HD, and use it togehter with a M25 driving bi-amped Dali Mentor 8's.. Sound is awesome! :)

Eather way, Ive been looking into upgrading the M15HD with Audyssey.

Anyone know how much this will cost? Do I need the HD2 upgrade for it to run Audyssey?

I searched around abit on this forum, but there is so much info, and some of it is just half-explained.

I found it easier just to ask here on a M15HD thread.

MIght be better to ask NAD.  This was originally sold for use with the AudysseyPro kit but I find no mention of it in the User's Manual now.  Check the AudysseyPro thread for price info.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #744 of 751 Old 03-12-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Either way, Ive been looking into upgrading the M15HD with Audyssey.

No, you don't need to purchase the (bloody expensive) MV15 MDC module or change to M15HD2 just to use the Audyssey Pro kit. Not sure about the price of the actual kit nowadays (maybe $500), but the license cost for one unit to be calibrated with is $150.

PS. no wonder NAD has stopped mfg'ing these: didn't sell well - based on all of the activity here. (Well, lack thereof).. rolleyes.gif
post #745 of 751 Old 03-12-2014, 08:15 PM

Ok, cool.

I'm really happy with the M15 HD / M25 setup, its had alots of hours by now, never had any problems, and its still squeezing out some pretty nice sound through the mentor 8's.

So it time to contact Audyssey then and see what the price is.

Thanks for info :)

post #746 of 751 Old 03-13-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:

So it time to contact Audyssey then and see what the price is.

Online I only know this web shop that sells it: Perfect Home Theater. $550 but not currently in stock (though, probably that is so always).

I really like the M15 + M25 combo too. cool.gif
post #747 of 751 Old 03-29-2014, 01:52 PM

Bump. Still waiting for FW update from some kind soul. redface.gif

NAD's online support does nothing for me.
post #748 of 751 Old 03-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I too heard about NAD not making any more MV15 HD2 or M25 amps some four months ago from my distributor. Then he was anticipating NAD to publish something new at CES. Nada, though..

Sure, they have been slow to make any MDC modules, for the MV15 HDs or for the other T-series units. frown.gif I'm still pretty hopeful that they keep making those in the future. For one, not doing so would be such an major blow to their reputation, I'm not seeing them being that eager to shoot their own foot.

NAD had new processor on static display at CES. If you look around the web you can find mention of it. 99.5% sure it used the same format MDC modules.
post #749 of 751 Old 05-01-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I heard that the M15 HD2 and the M25 are here to stay. They did add two extensions to the Masters Family. The M12 and the M22. I think they are both 2 channel, but I may be wrong.
post #750 of 751 Old 05-01-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The M17 processor and M27 amplifier are due in July. They were on display at CES
iNetRunner likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Nad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page