Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 758 Old 05-01-2014, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddingle View Post

The M17 processor and M27 amplifier are due in July. They were on display at CES
Thanks for the great information.
Although this is great news, if they quit support and the concept/sale tactic of modulation on the current M15 and M25 this will make the news very sad indeed. Not a problem until our current units quit working, and at that time I expect that some will brand jump. I bought my M25 and M15 HD2 less than a year ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 758 Old 09-21-2014, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone know a good place to order an MV15 upgrade board online? (The one from the M15-HD2)

My HDMI inputs are dead (just outside warranty), and NAD/Lenbrook, plus the local Australian wholesaler are not interested in repairing the unit (said they will "look" at it if I freight it across the country at my cost, which is a few hundred dollars, but make no promises they'll actually FIX anything, and they won't let me take it to a local NAD Authorised Repairer for inspection instead because they refuse to pay for it...). Still, given the NAD-Authorised repairer previously held my unit for 11 months fixing a different issue (wouldn't turn on), I'd think I'd get an extra 11 months of warranty support, but apparently not. For now, I want to get this working as best I can on the cheap (unemployed ATM), but next time it comes to upgrade in few years, I am absolutely brand jumping. :/

Sooo, the cheapest option seem to be changing to the newer card. Also solves the problem of not being able to configure Audyssey without an installer kit (genius move there, NAD :/ ). Here in Australia they want $1500+ for the card though, but I've heard stories of US folks buying them online as low as $650. I couldn't order my Pre/Pro itself from the US due to wall voltage mismatch, but since these machines run the same voltage internally, for this component I intend to take advantage of some of that cheap, US-local, non-price-gouging-Australia action. I'm not spending an extra grand or so just to pay the "Australia Tax" unless I absolutely have to, and I don't think I have to here.

So, could some kind soul point me towards where I might find one that will ship internationally?

Or, possibly, maybe someone that's upgraded their unit to MV15 still has the old M15-HD input board they removed, with functioning HDMI?
post #753 of 758 Old 09-26-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amleth View Post
Still, given the NAD-Authorised repairer previously held my unit for 11 months fixing a different issue (wouldn't turn on), I'd think I'd get an extra 11 months of warranty support, but apparently not.
Have you considered reaching out to Lenbrook USA or Canada and inquiring about this, specifically? I would think they'd want to do everything they can to make it right since the authorized shop kept your unit for that length of time.
post #754 of 758 Old 09-26-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwaggy View Post
Have you considered reaching out to Lenbrook USA or Canada and inquiring about this, specifically? I would think they'd want to do everything they can to make it right since the authorized shop kept your unit for that length of time.
Every time I've ever asked them about anything directly, they've just sent a form response to contact my local supplier. Even when I asked for firmware that would work on my unit, as the Australia supplier insists a unit be shipped to them at user cost to perform an update, and won't let end-users do it because of "risk", whereas if you're a US or Canadian customer Lenbrook hands it out like candy. They don't seem to care about foreign markets at all. I was just hoping to be able to actually turn the crappy video processing properly off, but turns out there's no firmware that ever allowed that anyway, and I've had to run an additional HDMI to bypass the NAD just to prevent it banding up my nice, sharp Windows desktop (and anything I play, of course). Makes me wonder why I paid so much extra for the video processing "feature" that I (we) never got to actually use.

The lack of local support, though, is especially disgusting since this unit had a MASSIVE premium added to its Australian price, but the local supplier did nothing extra with the Masters unit v.s. the T175-HD to earn or justify any additional premium at all, let alone such a hefty one. In the US, the launch RRPs for the T175-HD and M15-HD were US$2499 and US$3999 respectively, so the M15HD cost 60% more than the T175HD. However, in Australia, launch RRP for the M15-HD was AU$9999(!) and the T175-HD at the time was AU$3999, so the M15HD cost 150% more than the T175-HD! To put it another way, the Aussie price at the time for the T175-HD at 1.6 times the American US$ RRP was in line with exchange rate differences plus a small hike, but the Masters Series product was two and a half times as expensive. If the T175-HD was a fair price conversion, then for the M15-HD to follow US pricing, it should only have cost around AU$6400 if its price converted at the same rate. If so, where did the additional THREE THOUSAND, SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS they added come from, other than straight out their arses? Where did it go besides their own greedy pockets? Thank you APG / Audio Products Group / Qualifi (all the same people) for consistently gouging us on any gear that isn't entry-level. This is why so many Aussies are grey-importing big-ticket Hi-Fi direct from Asia instead; because you charge the Earth extra for stuff for no reason, and yet local warranty support is barely any less frustrating than shipping your gear overseas for repair. You almost always come out well ahead, and even when you don't, you're only a little behind.

Also, that extra ((10000 - 6400)/6400 =) 36% added to the price of the M15-HD is truly massive when you consider it's all extra profit. I bet there's not that much margin reselling NAD gear in the US, Masters or not. Did the local supplier do anything extra to earn that bonus? In my experience, no. Once gear is moved out their warehouse they don't give a ****. :/

Now, add that to the fact NAD have upgraded the Masters Pre/Pro base unit to the new M17 now, but have only ever released one add-on card of the many upgrades promised for this platform at launch, and the whole mess borders on fraudulent, since it was (and still is) marketed as future-proof peace-of-mind with a big initial outlay but then cheap, regular upgrades. That's how they got me; I was never going to afford a flagship system if I knew it'd be obsolete in a few years (because I couldn't bear the replacement costs to keep the system current), so this sounded great, since I could afford flagship outlay once, then small board purchases every few years, but the unit is sure bordering obsolete now and there's no upgrade I can buy that brings it in line with many other current competing offerings, capability-wise. NAD have the time and budget to design a pretty new face for their base unit (looks good at CES, Cedia, retail floors, etc; clearly a marketing-driven decision), but not to make the cards that actually add new capabilities to the units?! Still no XT32 available for the platform, let alone Atmos, etc. The only real upgrade to capability we got, in the only upgrade board so far after five years, was 3D/HDMI 1.4 support, oh, and also the ability to finally stop the unit scaling everything to a fixed output res, and actually give the user the option to pass through sources unscaled and unmolested for the display to handle how it sees fit, which is not so much a feature as a bug fix.

So yeah, totally disillusioned with both NAD/Lenbrook, and the monopolistic retail environment for Hi-Fi in Australia.

Don't think I've ever gonna find that MV15 card, either. I've been looking hard and they seem scarce as hell. Is this because there's a different card in the M17 and that's about to come out as a replacement for M15-HD/HD2 owners, or is it some kind of controlled scarcity?
post #755 of 758 Old 10-13-2014, 06:01 AM

Well, I've exhausted all testing options now trying to get my HDMI inputs working on my M15-HD. Tried several cables and multiple input sources with no luck, and last night I finally tried the last ditch Hail Mary I'd been putting off. I pulled the pre-pro out of the cabinet (not a trivial undertaking), cleaned the HDMI sockets with contact cleaner, removed the HDMI MDC card and polished the contacts on the card connector, and still no luck. Still same situation as before, where HDMI out works, but only shows the OSD on a blue background. No matter what I plug in or in which of the three HDMI sockets, the unit just acts like nothing is connected at all.

Looks like an MV15, or at least an MDC replacement is my only option.

I wish I'd just bought the $750 used, plain M15 I had a chance to a few years back, as I'd have the same capabilities I do now (can't use HDMI, video processing or Audyssey, despite paying for all three with the M15-HD), but I'd be about six grand ahead. Argh.
post #756 of 758 Old 10-16-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amleth View Post
Well, I've exhausted all testing options now trying to get my HDMI inputs working on my M15-HD. Tried several cables and multiple input sources with no luck, and last night I finally tried the last ditch Hail Mary I'd been putting off. I pulled the pre-pro out of the cabinet (not a trivial undertaking), cleaned the HDMI sockets with contact cleaner, removed the HDMI MDC card and polished the contacts on the card connector, and still no luck. Still same situation as before, where HDMI out works, but only shows the OSD on a blue background. No matter what I plug in or in which of the three HDMI sockets, the unit just acts like nothing is connected at all.

Looks like an MV15, or at least an MDC replacement is my only option.

I wish I'd just bought the $750 used, plain M15 I had a chance to a few years back, as I'd have the same capabilities I do now (can't use HDMI, video processing or Audyssey, despite paying for all three with the M15-HD), but I'd be about six grand ahead. Argh.
Man, I feel your pain. If I were in your situation, I would seriously consider calling Bob Moran directly.
Without getting in to details, I will say that he worked some magic warranty for me a couple of times in the past.
post #757 of 758 Old 10-20-2014, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwaggy View Post
Man, I feel your pain. If I were in your situation, I would seriously consider calling Bob Moran directly.
Without getting in to details, I will say that he worked some magic warranty for me a couple of times in the past.
Sadly I don't think that would help any. He is out of USA/Canada, so Lenbrook will not do anything. (Well, maybe they are responsible of the NAD support website, but I have not found them very informative or helpful there either..)
post #758 of 758 Old 11-12-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I just bought an Nad M15HD2 and a M25 from a dealer for a good price. I hooked the unit up yesterday and ran in some problems. I connected one HDMI Monitor out to the beamer and the other to the tv. On the tv I just get a pictures but no sound. Is this normal? Another problem: If I switch the HD2 to standby I loose the pictures on the TV. According to the manual there should be HDMI passtrough for CEC sources. CEC seems fine, since I can control the HD2 and my Blu Ray player with the TV remote. Do I miss something or is there a problem with the unit?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Nad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page