"Official" Onkyo TX-SR806 Reciever thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1841 Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Does the 806 have HDMI audio passthrough.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1841 Old 01-15-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Anyone read the Home Theater review? Not bad write up...Sorry if this has been mention on earlier posts.

DJoel

Link?

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #273 of 1841 Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrhBah View Post

Hello,

Does the 806 have HDMI audio passthrough.

thanks

Yes, it does.
post #274 of 1841 Old 01-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo2 View Post

Most of the dvd's output dolby 5.1, so i use the listening modes to expand that signal to also output from my rear surrounds (7.1). You could just choose "direct" listening mode and it's just going to pass through whatever sound signal your input source sends.

I use a PS3 as my blu-ray, and it decodes all of the DTS and TrueHD onboard, then sends it as Linear PCM, so it's not going to light up the rear surround speakers on the display. It's just going to say multichannel input.

That last part is not quite true. The PS3 is very capable of sending 7.1 PCM audio out via HDMI, assuming the source material has been encoded in that format. When it does that, the rear surround speakers do light up on the receiver's display. Granted, there's not many Blu-rays currently encoded at 7.1, but Price Caspian is, and I did confirm that with that disk all 8 speakers were "lit up".

I don't know what the THX modes do to a 7.1 input signal.
post #275 of 1841 Old 01-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

I just got my 806 a couple days ago and so far so good. Everything looks great and sounds great. I do need to replace my 2 rear old speakers for my 5.1 setup. I got some Klipish speakers a few days after getting my Plasma and while I've been using the 3 front speakers, I haven't had a change to mount the 2 rear. Maybe I'll get around to it this weekend. My Setup so far is,
Panasonic TH-50PZ85u 50" 1080P Plasma
Onkyo TX-SR806
Comcast HD Duel Tuner DVR
Toshiba HD-A30 HD DVD Player
Panasonic BD-35 Blu-Ray Player
Xbox 360/HD DVD player
Philips TIVO Series 1, OLD.

I have everything plugged in using HDMI other then then my TIVO which is using a S-Video connection and Red/White Audio hookup.

I have a similar source list to you bit I'm having problems keeping HDMI sync with both my Comcast DVR and my HD DVD player (Toshiba A1).

I had assumed that the problem with the DVR was due to known difficulties with Comcast Motorola DVRs and HDMI repeaters, but your success leaves me wondering if the problem is not with my Onkyo itself.

Originally my HD DVD player worked fine but then it failed the HDMI handshake and i was not able to get it back. Now, even bypassing the Onkyo and going back to my old "dumb" HDMI switcher does not work, despite that configuration having been stable for a year. Only thing that works is a direct connection with my projector. I guess I can't blame the Onkyo for that, although the problem only surfaced when i tried to go through the Onkyo.

My PS3 on the other hand has been rock solid through the Onkyo.
post #276 of 1841 Old 01-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyone read the Home Theater review? Not bad write up...Sorry if this has been mention on earlier posts.

DJoel

My mag came in the mail yesterday. Looking at the bit on the video processor it mentions two items of interest:

1. Full Video resolution is maintained in Through" mode, but only when the OSD is turned off. However, they do not say if the resolution loss that accompanies the OSD occurs with all input resolutions or just 1080. Also, they did not measure whether the OSD adds any resolution loss when converting from 1080 to 720 (something i'd like to do). In other words it may be that the OSD imposes some limit on resolution that prevents full 1080 resolution but is fine with a 720p HMDI output.

2. Going component HD in to HDMI output results in a significant loss in output resolution. Again they do not say if this is only with a 1080i component input to 1080i/p output. When i tested I did not see any loss in resolution but i was going 720p component in to 720p HDMI out.
post #277 of 1841 Old 01-16-2009, 04:09 AM

Quote:

DJoel

I was impressed with 7 channels driven continuously @ 79 watts. I now truly feel this receiver offers more than enough power. Just gotta fix the little quirks with video processing and it would be perfect.
post #278 of 1841 Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 AM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

Link?

Since it just came out in print, it could be some time before they post it for free.

Here's their site for the recent additions. It appears as if it's not present, yet.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/recentadditions/
post #279 of 1841 Old 01-16-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoolsie View Post

My mag came in the mail yesterday. Looking at the bit on the video processor it mentions two items of interest:

1. Full Video resolution is maintained in Through" mode, but only when the OSD is turned off. However, they do not say if the resolution loss that accompanies the OSD occurs with all input resolutions or just 1080. Also, they did not measure whether the OSD adds any resolution loss when converting from 1080 to 720 (something i'd like to do). In other words it may be that the OSD imposes some limit on resolution that prevents full 1080 resolution but is fine with a 720p HMDI output.

2. Going component HD in to HDMI output results in a significant loss in output resolution. Again they do not say if this is only with a 1080i component input to 1080i/p output. When i tested I did not see any loss in resolution but i was going 720p component in to 720p HDMI out.

so basically to get the best resolution, I have to turn off the feature that allows me to see the options menu on the screen? Thats not really a problem because once its completely tuned and setup, I don't think I will need the menu... i just want to verify this is what osd is you reffering to...
post #280 of 1841 Old 01-16-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKfromLA View Post

so basically to get the best resolution, I have to turn off the feature that allows me to see the options menu on the screen? Thats not really a problem because once its completely tuned and setup, I don't think I will need the menu... i just want to verify this is what osd is you reffering to...

Exactly.
post #281 of 1841 Old 01-16-2009, 07:15 AM

Does the 806 have HDMI video pass through.

thanks again
post #282 of 1841 Old 01-16-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Century Frac View Post

Wow I ran the Audyssey setup and my 806 sounds amazing! This feature alone was worth the switch from my Harmon/Kardon 354! Honestly if your amp has an issue it must be a bad one. I do not have a single problem with mine. I am using HDMI from my Satellite and DVD player without an issue. Have not tried my Wii yet but I am sure it will be good. Its only 4 days old but has impressed me so much. I was never a fan of Onkyo but I am now! I hope I can help anyone out that has a Question. Thanks for all the other info on this thread that has steered me in the right direction!

I did the same thing...HK 354 kept losing the video signal from the Blue ray player and the Wii...

the 806 has been really sweet though and I've had no problems with it unlike the HK which frustrated me. The Audyssey setup was pretty kick ass too.
post #283 of 1841 Old 01-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKfromLA View Post

so basically to get the best resolution, I have to turn off the feature that allows me to see the options menu on the screen?

Not quite.

You have to turn on the OSD, which is the text that gets superimposed over the video image.

Once you turn off the OSD you will not see the volume level displayed on screen, nor will you be able to know which audio and THX mode you have selected.

The set-up menu, however, is not superimposed over the video. The menu instead replaces the video, until it is exited. So even with the OSD turned off you can hit "Setup" on the remote and bring up and see the menu.

I will say that, on my 720P projector, I do not see any loss of resolution that comes with turning on the OSD. Nor do I see any loss of resolution with setting a fixed output resolution (720P in my case) rather than relying on the "through" setting.

I also haven't seen any "blue dot" issues but then again I haven't tried to force a 1080p output.
post #284 of 1841 Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 AM

Can anyone help me with this?

I am having problems with the color display. I have a ps3 hooked up to the 806 and when i hit display on my tv it says 30 bit, but if I hook the ps3 straight to the tv it says 36 bit. Does the 806 not output 36 bit color? I have x.v. color enabled.
post #285 of 1841 Old 01-16-2009, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4805 View Post

I was impressed with 7 channels driven continuously @ 79 watts. I now truly feel this receiver offers more than enough power. Just gotta fix the little quirks with video processing and it would be perfect.

Yup that was something that immediately pop in my mind when I read it, pretty robust amp even though I'm using my 806 for it's PRE section.

This will be my back up AVR for some time I almost ant to throw out the box, big phobia, and a bit step for me

Djoel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #286 of 1841 Old 01-16-2009, 02:53 PM

How would you all compare this 806 unit to the Denon 2309CI?
I'm a current Denon owner, looking to upgrade to a unit with HDMI and have had great luck with Denon and was about to get the 2309, till a friend who is also shopping showed me this one...which is priced better or close to it, and now I'm trying to determine the major differences?
post #287 of 1841 Old 01-16-2009, 04:21 PM

Hey guys have a question. I using Tveristy on my Ps3 with onkyo 806. Everthing is locked into 7.1. So when i stream mp3's i cant used Prologic II OR Dts Neo. Has anyone else experienced this?
post #288 of 1841 Old 01-16-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Hope you fellas can help me troubleshoot something. I'm starting to notice more that my center speaker is much softer in volume than other speakers. How can I figure out if it's the center channel coming from the 806? I currently have a 5.1 set up.

I've run Audyssey numerous times so it "should" be tuned. I still notice however that it's quite low. Audyssey usually sets it at -5.0db, but I've now upped it to 0db and it still sounds like it's really low and drowned out by the other speakers.

Anything else I can try to determine where the problem may be? I watched My Best Friend's Girl last night with the volume a bit low, but the center just seems drowned out by the other channels.

I suspected it may be the speaker, but shouldn't Audyssey detect this during set up and adjust accordingly? Even during Audyssey setup, I can tell that the center is the weakest of the 5 speakers.

Thanks in advance!

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #289 of 1841 Old 01-16-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bww3818 View Post

I did the same thing...HK 354 kept losing the video signal from the Blue ray player and the Wii...

the 806 has been really sweet though and I've had no problems with it unlike the HK which frustrated me. The Audyssey setup was pretty kick ass too.

I am about to do the same thing (buy a 806), unless HK can pull together and fix my 354. Is there anything you miss or that does not match HK performance? I lose video over Blu-ray and that suck especially when you want to show some how awesome you setup is......damn.

Deltasun: keep turning up you center until you get what your looking for. Turing down the other speakers should help a bit too.
post #290 of 1841 Old 01-17-2009, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Deltasun: Go in to speaker distance setup and make sure all those distances are correct...thats not gonna raise the volume, its just going to keep the speakers in sync so where you sit is the "sweet spot" after that just go into speaker levels and up the center speaker level a couple decibels and then watch tv and continue to adjust till you get what you want. If you want to adjust the other speakers and bring them down instead of bringing then center up just make sure you lower all of them down equal amounts or your gonna throw the Audyssey tuning off.

Ginwea: Im not sure that the reciever is deep color compatible so that might be the reason. Have you tried setting video processing to through on the reciever...in my brain is seems like that might allow you to get the full 36-bit.

DrhBah: As was stated earlier, yes the 806 does support audio pass-through.

Jodeci4l: Have you looked into Tversity's settings? There might be something there that is making the reciever think it is 7.1 source material. Otherwise, you might have a problem with the reciever because I have yet to be "locked out" of the DSP setttings.

ChrisMC73: I've never owned a Denon but it seems like they might be a bit more reliable then Onkyo's but for the money, and I think most people here will agree, this is a great little reciever.

Be careful of the people around...they might know how to use their pinky in the worst of ways...
post #291 of 1841 Old 01-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post

How would you all compare this 806 unit to the Denon 2309CI?
I'm a current Denon owner, looking to upgrade to a unit with HDMI and have had great luck with Denon and was about to get the 2309, till a friend who is also shopping showed me this one...which is priced better or close to it, and now I'm trying to determine the major differences?

on certain sites, if you select compare, it will even let you hide similar features. the site is usually overpriced...but has great information. back in october I paid about 650 for the onkyo 806 at amazon and is still right around there on amazon. the 2309 looks like around 750 everywhere.

so major differences in the specs (other than dimensions):
806 has more preamp outputs, more HDMI inputs, more power, more digital coaxial inputs
2309 has a digital optical output and more component inputs

so I guess it depends on what you need, but to me, the 806 had a major plus with the preamp outputs...that keeps me much more future proof for upgrading the system without replacing the receiver
post #292 of 1841 Old 01-17-2009, 10:19 AM

can someone tell me why my 806 does not save my last output. For example I'm watching cable/satellite and when I turn it off and than turn it on it doesn't stay on cable/satellite. It goes back to vcr/dvd. And all my settings are set to last valid. Everytime I turn on my tv and receiver it always goes to vcr/dvd and i have to manually change to cable/satellite to watch my satellite. Any help or info on this?
post #293 of 1841 Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

on certain sites, if you select compare, it will even let you hide similar features. the site is usually overpriced...but has great information. back in october I paid about 650 for the onkyo 806 at amazon and is still right around there on amazon. the 2309 looks like around 750 everywhere.

so major differences in the specs (other than dimensions):
806 has more preamp outputs, more HDMI inputs, more power, more digital coaxial inputs
2309 has a digital optical output and more component inputs

so I guess it depends on what you need, but to me, the 806 had a major plus with the preamp outputs...that keeps me much more future proof for upgrading the system without replacing the receiver

Thanks WannaBe Actuary, that helps. Can I ask you how you would/will use the preamp outs in the future? Like provide me with a good example for what those features will be good for?
post #294 of 1841 Old 01-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCGrunt0307 View Post

Deltasun: Go in to speaker distance setup and make sure all those distances are correct...thats not gonna raise the volume, its just going to keep the speakers in sync so where you sit is the "sweet spot" after that just go into speaker levels and up the center speaker level a couple decibels and then watch tv and continue to adjust till you get what you want. If you want to adjust the other speakers and bring them down instead of bringing then center up just make sure you lower all of them down equal amounts or your gonna throw the Audyssey tuning off.

Ginwea: Im not sure that the reciever is deep color compatible so that might be the reason. Have you tried setting video processing to through on the reciever...in my brain is seems like that might allow you to get the full 36-bit.

DrhBah: As was stated earlier, yes the 806 does support audio pass-through.

Jodeci4l: Have you looked into Tversity's settings? There might be something there that is making the reciever think it is 7.1 source material. Otherwise, you might have a problem with the reciever because I have yet to be "locked out" of the DSP setttings.

ChrisMC73: I've never owned a Denon but it seems like they might be a bit more reliable then Onkyo's but for the money, and I think most people here will agree, this is a great little reciever.

Thanks USMCGrunt, I agree with you for sure, its got lots of bang for the buck! Thats my delima though, I trust Denon for sure, and for a few bucks more I'm wondering if my "trust" is worth that or the more features, if I need them for the little less money? I think my friend might pull the trigger on this 806 today so after helping him set it up, I will see how I feel!

Appreciate everyone's inputs here!
post #295 of 1841 Old 01-17-2009, 12:05 PM

So I got my Onkyo 806 in yesterday and finally got around to setting it up today. Uverse works fine, PS3 works fine, the only thing I am having a problem with is my HTPC. Currently I am just using the Onkyo to pass everything through and use the television speakers, should be getting speakers in a couple of weeks.

I get video to pass through just fine, but no audio. My current HTPC specs are: Gigabyte 780g, 4850e, 2gb of memory, Vista Ultimate 32bit. Both the Uverse box and PS3 pass audio just fine, but not the HTPC, I have tried a few different HDMI ins on the receiver and nothing.

Any thoughts?
post #296 of 1841 Old 01-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Its an issue with the ATI drivers, check out the EDID Override thread for information on one workaround.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1091403
post #297 of 1841 Old 01-17-2009, 12:58 PM

Thank you, one other question, will I have to worry about this when I get speakers also?
post #298 of 1841 Old 01-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

If you connect your HTPC directly to your display you should get sound. When going through the 806 CCC will report your monitor as a DVI connection and you will get no sound no matter what speakers your using.

With the 606 you can use HDMI port 1 however on the 806 none of the HDMI ports will work with sound unless you use the EDID override or a DVI detective or similar device. Its possible ATI may also fix the issue in an upcoming release...
post #299 of 1841 Old 01-17-2009, 01:28 PM

Sounds good then, will do the override since I will be keeping the 806 and using HDMI for my video/audio. Thank you.
post #300 of 1841 Old 01-17-2009, 07:16 PM

hey guys, just to give an update, I am very happy to say that the problem i was having seemed to have been related to my hdmi cables. My cables came in from monoprice and when I reconnected everything, the weird problem with my tv speakers going crazy is gone.

i am just curious, but what level is everyone running their receiver at when watching movies? I find myself at least in the high 70s and I have very efficient speakers (klipsch icon series)...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page