Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1841 Old 01-28-2009, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo2 View Post

I'd be interested to know who runs straight to the TV via HDMI from their cable/sat box, then uses optical out to the 806, versus cable/sat to 806 via hdmi and then 806 to tv via hdmi.

I use the latter setup and seems like my picture quality is just fine, but maybe I'm missing out?

Ive heard quite a few people run HDMI to tv then an optical line from the source device (not the tv) to the reciever.

The 806 seems to have some pretty crappy consistancy when it comes to who experiances what issues. For instance, I have yet to experiance any of the problems that people on here talk about, yet some people pull it right out of the box and have all the problems that we talk about here.

Be careful of the people around...they might know how to use their pinky in the worst of ways...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1841 Old 01-28-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:

I'd be interested to know who runs straight to the TV via HDMI from their cable/sat box, then uses optical out to the 806, versus cable/sat to 806 via hdmi and then 806 to tv via hdmi.

I use the latter setup and seems like my picture quality is just fine, but maybe I'm missing out?

I run HDMI from cable box to TV and digital coax from 806 to cable box. Works perfectly when I want to use the displays speakers. No problem.

I watched Pride and Glory in 1080p last night and had no issues either. I wonder if everyone that has the problem has had proper ventilation for the receiver. I have about 8 inches of open air above the 806 in an open shelf.
post #363 of 1841 Old 01-28-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4805 View Post

I run HDMI from cable box to TV and digital coax from 806 to cable box. Works perfectly when I want to use the displays speakers. No problem.

I watched Pride and Glory in 1080p last night and had no issues either. I wonder if everyone that has the problem has had proper ventilation for the receiver. I have about 8 inches of open air above the 806 in an open shelf.

juggy,
How did you watch Pride & Glory in 1080p? Through your blu-ray player, I assume? How do you have that hooked up to your system?

I run both my PS3 (for blu ray) and my sat box via hdmi into the 806, then hdmi out to my Samsung LN52a650.

Running the PS3 through the 806 first is a must for me, as I want to enjoy the 7.1 sound from blu ray discs that have it. So.....if there's a reality that the 806 is hosing up picture quality (which I don't perceive to be the case), then I've got a real problem. (Because the optical out on the Samsung won't carry 7.1, it will only carry a max of 5.1).

I invite USMC to comment as well.
post #364 of 1841 Old 01-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I could not connect the HDMI output of my Motorola 6208 Comcast DVR receiver to my 806, because the handshake connection with my projector would not be made.

My PS3, however, is going to the 806 so I can get take advantage of the multichannel lossless formats on Blu-Ray discs.

I have the HDMI output from the Onkyo and the HDMI out from the cable box going into a Monoprice HDMI switcher and that works, but it's one more button I have to remember to hit to set everything up.

Kurt
post #365 of 1841 Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

juggy,
How did you watch Pride & Glory in 1080p? Through your blu-ray player, I assume? How do you have that hooked up to your system?

I run both my PS3 (for blu ray) and my sat box via hdmi into the 806, then hdmi out to my Samsung LN52a650.

Running the PS3 through the 806 first is a must for me, as I want to enjoy the 7.1 sound from blu ray discs that have it. So.....if there's a reality that the 806 is hosing up picture quality (which I don't perceive to be the case), then I've got a real problem. (Because the optical out on the Samsung won't carry 7.1, it will only carry a max of 5.1).

If I come off as being a know it all I apologize, I am far from knowing everything...but this is the only post im active on right now in the forums so I see it quite often, lol.

Getting the 7.1 from the PS3 to the reciever im not sure about...I dont know the limits of the optical connection...being a max of 5.1 or 7.1 but according to the manual, if you put the reciever into Pure Mode, it supposed to shut off any video/audio processing done by the reciever and feed it striaght to the HDMI out.

Im working on getting a copy of Silicon Optix HQV to work to see if there really is any difference with MY 806 and if the Pure mode does bypass the processing if there is a difference.

Be careful of the people around...they might know how to use their pinky in the worst of ways...
post #366 of 1841 Old 01-28-2009, 12:04 PM

Location: Derby City, USA- a blue oasis in a sea of red-state insanity...
Liked: 15
I just read a review of the TX-SR876 in Playback Magazine, and the reviewer mentioned the unit having DSD Direct for SACD. I'm considering the 806 (or the 876, or a refurb Denon AVR-3808ci), and eventually the Oppo BDP-83 (as a potential replacement for my Pioneer DV-47Ai universal player, and as a "backup" BD player in case my PS3 ever poops out), and was wondering if the 806 also has this feature. If so, has anyone tried it with an SACD/universal player, and how does it sound? I know the 805 had this feature, but they seem to be getting scarce, and the price on Amazon.com is a grand or more, which seems a bit much for last year's model. Thanks for any info you can provide! Tom
post #367 of 1841 Old 01-28-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:

juggy,

I watched it thru HDMI to my PS3. I also use HDMI to get the HD audio.

The 806 does have DSD processing but the page does not have a check for direct.
post #368 of 1841 Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I did the former for a while because I thought the PQ was suffering, but then I'm not getting lossless sound. I mentioned it before that once I switched to shorter HDMI cables (just 6' each), I thought the PQ improved and now have the latter set up.

Obviously, the convenience of having just one cable per source and being able to switch audio/video with one button just follows. In fact, I even created a macro that turned each of the components off so I don't have to do individual button presses.

One question - does anybody know what the remote control code is for a PS3? It wasn't on my manual.

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #369 of 1841 Old 01-28-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

I did the former for a while because I thought the PQ was suffering, but then I'm not getting lossless sound. I mentioned it before that once I switched to shorter HDMI cables (just 6' each), I thought the PQ improved and now have the latter set up.

Obviously, the convenience of having just one cable per source and being able to switch audio/video with one button just follows. In fact, I even created a macro that turned each of the components off so I don't have to do individual button presses.

One question - does anybody know what the remote control code is for a PS3? It wasn't on my manual.

PS3 is bluetooth not infrared.
post #370 of 1841 Old 01-28-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4805 View Post

PS3 is bluetooth not infrared.

Ah, did not even cross my mind. So, I guess there is not a way to get the PS3 in on my macro.

Thanks.

post #371 of 1841 Old 01-28-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Ah, did not even cross my mind. So, I guess there is not a way to get the PS3 in on my macro.

Thanks.

There is, but you have to buy a BT to IR convertor first.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #372 of 1841 Old 01-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

There are third party IR remotes for the PS3 that you can use with an IR remote. The third part devices have a dongle that plugs into the usb port. However, every feature will not work with the IR remote. For example you cannot turn power on or off with the third party devices. Everything else should work ok.

It upsets me because my Harmony controls everything but the PS3.
post #373 of 1841 Old 01-28-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I wasn't clear. I do have the PS3 remote that was sold separately. Just wanted to program my normal IR Onkyo remote to control it as well.

Thanks for the info, guys!

post #374 of 1841 Old 01-28-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivas View Post

is there a fix for the blacker than black problem? I did a search but couldnt find anything.

+1

Xbox Live: LoftyStream
PSN: LoftyStream
post #375 of 1841 Old 01-29-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCGrunt0307 View Post

If I come off as being a know it all I apologize, I am far from knowing everything...but this is the only post im active on right now in the forums so I see it quite often, lol.

Getting the 7.1 from the PS3 to the reciever im not sure about...I dont know the limits of the optical connection...being a max of 5.1 or 7.1 but according to the manual, if you put the reciever into Pure Mode, it supposed to shut off any video/audio processing done by the reciever and feed it striaght to the HDMI out.

Im working on getting a copy of Silicon Optix HQV to work to see if there really is any difference with MY 806 and if the Pure mode does bypass the processing if there is a difference.

USMC,
I think you're referring to "Direct" mode. That's the mode that doesn't do any "enhancing" or "fltering" of your audio signal from your source, but just passes it through.
Pure Audio does the same, but it ONLY passes the audio signal, not the video. This mode's for use when listening to music and you want to hear exactly what the CD is putting out.

I've actually set my DVD input (which is where my PS3 comes in via HDMI to the 806) to "Direct" and the 7.1 passes right through.
Since optical digital doesn't have enough bandwidth to pass through 7.1, I wouldn't route my PS3 direct to my TV and then use optical digital out for the audio back into the 806.
post #376 of 1841 Old 01-29-2009, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

USMC,
I think you're referring to "Direct" mode. That's the mode that doesn't do any "enhancing" or "fltering" of your audio signal from your source, but just passes it through.
Pure Audio does the same, but it ONLY passes the audio signal, not the video. This mode's for use when listening to music and you want to hear exactly what the CD is putting out.

I've actually set my DVD input (which is where my PS3 comes in via HDMI to the 806) to "Direct" and the 7.1 passes right through.
Since optical digital doesn't have enough bandwidth to pass through 7.1, I wouldn't route my PS3 direct to my TV and then use optical digital out for the audio back into the 806.

Thanks for the clarification...I was a little confused about the two and what their differences were.

post #377 of 1841 Old 01-30-2009, 06:17 AM

Well I just got my system semi Setup.

Onkyo TX-SR806
Samsung PN50A460 50" Plasma
Samsung BDP-2500 BR Player
Toshiba HD-D3 HD Player
Tivo HD DVR
Premier Acoustic PA-8 Fronts,center,rears
Bic Acoustech H100 subwoofer

All my video sources are hooked up with 1' to 3' HDMI 1.3a mono price cables with a 10' 1.3a going to my plasma.

ATM I only have the Towers and center hooked up. Kind off topic but that PA 8" center channel is fairly huge but well worth it it must be best sounding center I have ever heard. I need to figure out how to run my rear speaker cabling I don't have a sub floor or basement below me.

My initial thoughts are that everything works well and using HDMI made everything so nice and simple and reduce the spagehetti nightmare. The only small issue I have so far is when the receiver tries to switch for different audio inputs and you get a little delay.

I was going thru the 876 manual versus that 806 for differences, because I wanted to know if I could bridge two channels on the receiver for just my fronts and according to the 876 it is an option but it is not documented as an for the 806. Has anyone tried bridging the channels to feed the fronts? This not really a big deal as later this year PA saids they will be releasing the fronts so that they are bi-ampable as well, however that is not for another 2-3 months.

I am still learning the receiver but I happy with it at first I thought I had made a mistake not getting the 876 but so far I havent' seen much gain in my case as my BR DVD player has the Reon-VX chipset in it as well.
post #378 of 1841 Old 01-30-2009, 06:27 AM

Does anyone use the listening modes?

I use Dolby PLIIx Movie for 5.1 sources from the Directv HD receiver, because it gives good separation and splits some content to my two back surround speakers in a 7.1 setup. This seems to give better separation of channels than the THX Ultra2 Cinema mode, but I'd be curious to hear other's opinions on the listening modes.

I just use "Direct" for watching Blu-Ray because the PS3 is already sending 7.1 to my receiver, but if I don't use one of the modes above for Directv, then I'm not ever going to get use out of the back surround speakers.
post #379 of 1841 Old 01-30-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosrg View Post

Well I just got my system semi Setup.

Onkyo TX-SR806
Samsung PN50A460 50" Plasma
Samsung BDP-2500 BR Player
Toshiba HD-D3 HD Player
Tivo HD DVR
Premier Acoustic PA-8 Fronts,center,rears
Bic Acoustech H100 subwoofer

All my video sources are hooked up with 1' to 3' HDMI 1.3a mono price cables with a 10' 1.3a going to my plasma.

ATM I only have the Towers and center hooked up. Kind off topic but that PA 8" center channel is fairly huge but well worth it it must be best sounding center I have ever heard. I need to figure out how to run my rear speaker cabling I don't have a sub floor or basement below me.

My initial thoughts are that everything works well and using HDMI made everything so nice and simple and reduce the spagehetti nightmare. The only small issue I have so far is when the receiver tries to switch for different audio inputs and you get a little delay.

I was going thru the 876 manual versus that 806 for differences, because I wanted to know if I could bridge two channels on the receiver for just my fronts and according to the 876 it is an option but it is not documented as an for the 806. Has anyone tried bridging the channels to feed the fronts? This not really a big deal as later this year PA saids they will be releasing the fronts so that they are bi-ampable as well, however that is not for another 2-3 months.

I am still learning the receiver but I happy with it at first I thought I had made a mistake not getting the 876 but so far I havent' seen much gain in my case as my BR DVD player has the Reon-VX chipset in it as well.

I'm currently bi-amping my front mains.

post #380 of 1841 Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 AM

Well, I finally decided to pull the trigger on a receiver that can decode the latest formats. I decided on the 806. I choose it mainly because it had 5 HDMI outputs, most everyone seems to be pleased and lastly the price was great! It will be replacing my HK AVR-7200...what a beast! The HK has been great over the past 4 1/2 years, but since I have a PS3 and a Toshiba HD-DVD player it was time to get on board with the new HD formats.

The main duty for the Onkyo is decoding because I also have 3 Outlaw monos for the fronts which leaves the receiver only powering the 4 surrounds. All the HDMI outputs will be going to a 1080P Mitsu 73"...wish me luck!
post #381 of 1841 Old 01-31-2009, 11:13 AM

So I still love my 806. I dont have any issues with mine. The only issue I have I am sure is my error. My problem is after running auddessy my sub wont work?? What did I do wrong. I have tried everything. Yes it did work before I did auddessy so I know the cable is good. It makes a little noise but not enough. Any help?
post #382 of 1841 Old 01-31-2009, 01:36 PM

I am also having trouble with the Audyssey Auto configuration. It will not recognize my left rear surround speaker . I don't know if it will recognize the sub because I get the error message. I am running 5.1 right now while I wawit my surround speakers to arrive. Should I reset the receiver and try again. I went into the manual setup and did the speaker calibration and sound does come out of the left rear surround and the sub. What am I missing here (no pun intended)?
post #383 of 1841 Old 01-31-2009, 03:44 PM

I think I'm going to send back my 806. I want to get an 805, because the lack of true video pass through is bothering me. It's making my picture look washed out.

post #384 of 1841 Old 01-31-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyefan View Post

Why are people not debating the 805-806 on this thread? The 806 is missing the Burr-Brown DACS, as well as almost 14 lbs. of heft.

The 876 (next step up) still weighs in at almost 51lbs (compared with the 875), but the 806 dropped 26% of it's weight compared to the 805. I'm guessing it's the transformer,which is a HUGE part of what separates an average AVR from a great one. Check out these differences:

The 805:
High Instantaneous Current Capability 36A
S/N Ratio (LINE IN) 110 dB
Power Consumption 9.5 A

The 806:
High Instantaneous Current Capability 60A
S/N Ratio (LINE IN) 110 dB
Power Consumption 7.8 A

The 806 lacks the following what the 805 had:

Dual PUSH-PULL Design
Independent Block Construction (Amp/Preprocessor)
Optimum Gain Volume
Linear Optimum Gain Volume
Non-Scaling Configuration
7 Band Multi-Band Speaker EQ
Back Lit Remote

What gives Onkyo?

perhaps because the 805 isnt available new anymore??
post #385 of 1841 Old 01-31-2009, 04:13 PM

you can still find a nice refurb.

post #386 of 1841 Old 02-01-2009, 01:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivas View Post

you can still find a nice refurb.

If you go the refurb route, be aware that you're taking some degree of risk that whatever problem it had was found and fixed.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #387 of 1841 Old 02-01-2009, 04:41 AM
etp

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegagen View Post

Well, I finally decided to pull the trigger on a receiver that can decode the latest formats. I decided on the 806. I choose it mainly because it had 5 HDMI outputs, most everyone seems to be pleased and lastly the price was great! It will be replacing my HK AVR-7200...what a beast! The HK has been great over the past 4 1/2 years, but since I have a PS3 and a Toshiba HD-DVD player it was time to get on board with the new HD formats.

The main duty for the Onkyo is decoding because I also have 3 Outlaw monos for the fronts which leaves the receiver only powering the 4 surrounds. All the HDMI outputs will be going to a 1080P Mitsu 73"...wish me luck!

Trying to deside on what to replace my 7200 with???
1900, 4400ES, 989/3809ci, etc // big bucks! or Onkyo 806 or 906!

This will be an all in one unit as I have no room for separate amps.

ETP
post #388 of 1841 Old 02-01-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy3 View Post

I am also having trouble with the Audyssey Auto configuration. It will not recognize my left rear surround speaker . I don't know if it will recognize the sub because I get the error message. I am running 5.1 right now while I wawit my surround speakers to arrive. Should I reset the receiver and try again. I went into the manual setup and did the speaker calibration and sound does come out of the left rear surround and the sub. What am I missing here (no pun intended)?

Finally got it working. I was using the left and right rear surround speaker inputs as opposed to just the surround speaker inputs.
post #389 of 1841 Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 AM

hate the idea of a refurb - issues are sure to follow eventually
post #390 of 1841 Old 02-01-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

if you look around you still should be able to get the onkyo tx-805 it's a matter of looking..

I know i can still get the 805 new, over my kneck of the woods they still fetch $2k for the amp
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page