Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1841 Old 02-07-2009, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbob View Post

DB2 -> Onkyo claims that it does a true video pass through, I beg to differ though because I see "stutters" when passing through 720P material. It still passes 1080P 24Hz to my TV beautifully with no issues, but it is touching it in some way, at least with 720P sources.

That's a big issue for me because I have my picture set exactly how I want it. Just the thought of the receiver possibly affecting the picture quality would bother me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1841 Old 02-07-2009, 09:25 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccoboy View Post

Good to know. So if order one hopefully I get the "s" on the serial number.

I wonder how much the different video chips used in the 806 and the 876 affect the price gap between the two units? I really don't care about video processing; I just want a clean pass-through on the video.

Hi eccoboy,
Then, go with the 805, if you can find one. Or the 705.
Or if you are really looking between the 806 and the 876, even if you don't care about the Reon video processor, found a good price and go with the 876.
Because the 876 is a "Much" better receiver, build wise, features wise, Audio wise and parts quality wise, period!
Good day to you.

Bob
"Play with that"
post #453 of 1841 Old 02-07-2009, 10:34 PM

Hi everybody,

i am new to this avsforum, i just purchase the 806 4 days ago, the seriel # has no letter at the end.
post #454 of 1841 Old 02-07-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2007 View Post

Hi everybody,

i am new to this avsforum, i just purchase the 806 4 days ago, the seriel # has no letter at the end.

Hi tony,

You've got yourself an 806 "letter free" receiver!
post #455 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr123 View Post

Hey guys,

Been having some issues with the 806 for a couple of weeks now.

I have a Sony S350 Blu-ray player connected via HDMI
A Motorola DCT 6200 HD Cable box connected via component
and then HDMI out to a Samsung LN52A850 TV

Each time we're watching cable, there will suddenly be a drop out and the TV will say "searching for signal". This never happens when we watch a Blu-ray or DVD, but only while watching TV. I've swapped out the component cables a few times and this now leads me to believe that it's definitely the receiver.

Any ideas/help?... please

???
post #456 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr123 View Post

???

Have you checked around to see if its a firmware issue with your tv? I have a sammy too (not the same model though) and certain firmware versions have issues with that same thing happening with the PS3.

Be careful of the people around...they might know how to use their pinky in the worst of ways...
post #457 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post

Hi tony,

do you think it`s an older production or newer !
post #458 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbob View Post

My Wii is even worse, connected by component cables, feeding 480P into the receiver. Disc Channel, Wii Shopping Channel both display for a split second then go black never to return. This is occurring with any pass through or upconvert settings I try in the HDMI and regardless of whether I have the Wii feeding 480p or 480i into the receiver. The way it is acting, I'm almost thinking this may be a problem with the signal the Wii is sending, I may try to fins a better set of cables to see if that makes a difference.

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with the Wii display issue, OK, maybe not really glad as I was just hoping this was all just a bad dream or something. At least I can rule out it's 1) Not the Wii and 2) Not the Wii component cable. So if I understand all the posts since this one the only way currently to not lose video when the the Wii is connected via component is to use the component out on the Onkyo and connect it to a component in on my TV. Am I on the right track here?
post #459 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:

I think it's a "s"ilver case designation instead of black.
post #460 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOSteel View Post

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with the Wii display issue, OK, maybe not really glad as I was just hoping this was all just a bad dream or something. At least I can rule out it's 1) Not the Wii and 2) Not the Wii component cable. So if I understand all the posts since this one the only way currently to not lose video when the the Wii is connected via component is to use the component out on the Onkyo and connect it to a component in on my TV. Am I on the right track here?

That is exactly what I did and I have never had a problem since. Wii>component cable>806>component cable>tv is the way to go.

The 806 upconversion of Wii component to hdmi is hosed up. No longer worth the aggravation just to have the one hdmi cable from 806 to tv.
post #461 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 01:52 PM

me serial doesnt have a letter either... it's black. No blue spots either.

Xbox Live: LoftyStream
PSN: LoftyStream
post #462 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo2 View Post

That is exactly what I did and I have never had a problem since. Wii>component cable>806>component cable>tv is the way to go.

The 806 upconversion of Wii component to hdmi is hosed up. No longer worth the aggravation just to have the one hdmi cable from 806 to tv.

You know I thought about this the past few hours and to have to use the Wii this way is f*cked up. This received is supposed to be able to display WHATEVER is connected to it through the HDMI output. That's the way I read it on Onkyo's site and that's the way I read it in the manual, period. I have found no reference in the manual that says component input should be output as component as well.

The whole reason I bought this receiver was to connect all my equipment to one receiver and be able to output it through one HDMI connection (my Panasonic TV has only one HDMI input). Having four HDMI devices (PVR, HD DVD, Blu-ray and XBOX 360) this receiver seemed my best option, and with 5 HDMI inputs it gave me one spare (who knows what other toys are down the line).

So in this situation I will actually have to change the output on the receiver manually from HDMI to Component just to use the Wii, and then back again for all my other devices. I sure hope I can automate that with my Harmony XBOX 360 remote...
post #463 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Why would you have to change anything manually? This isn't 1980. The receiver is smart enough to know to switch to component for the Wii, provided you set it up that way.
post #464 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Why would you have to change anything manually? This isn't 1980. The receiver is smart enough to know to switch to component for the Wii, provided you set it up that way.

Not according to the user manual: you either output via HDMI or via component (ANALOG is the actual setting name), not both and there is no "AUTO" setting. If someone more experienced with this receiver knows more about this, please let me know. I never expected to have to deal with this kind of "tweak".
post #465 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:

To be honest, I don't have a single clue.
And frankly,Tony, I don't think it have any important relevance.
I will just enjoy it.

Greetings

Bob
post #466 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 PM

I got my 806 last Tuesday. I just got it hooked up to the following: XBox360(HDMI), PS3, Toshiba A35 HD-DVD & cable box. Here's my problem I can't get the receiver to "light-up" True HD when viewing a TrueHD DVD, i.e., The Dark Knight(TDK), I am Ledgend(IAL). I'm using the PS3 for the TDK and the Toshiba for IAL. I've made output changes on both. I've assigned the formats to each input. After all this it only shows PCM Multichannel...I can't even get THX Ultra2 to light up!

I thought I understood all this stuff...Guess not!!! HELP!!!!!
post #467 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Not according to the user manual: you either output via HDMI or via component (ANALOG is the actual setting name), not both and there is no "AUTO" setting. If someone more experienced with this receiver knows more about this, please let me know. I never expected to have to deal with this kind of "tweak".

I'm with you, TMO. Program t he Harmony to do what you need. That's what I did. mn_hokie, what device exactly did you think was "auto sensing"?

Program your Harmony remote for when you want to "play game" to switch on your tv, switch the 806 to "game". Your "game" input on the 806 can be through the tv/game component inputs.
post #468 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegagen View Post

I got my 806 last Tuesday. I just got it hooked up to the following: XBox360(HDMI), PS3, Toshiba A35 HD-DVD & cable box. Here's my problem I can't get the receiver to "light-up" True HD when viewing a TrueHD DVD, i.e., The Dark Knight(TDK), I am Ledgend(IAL). I'm using the PS3 for the TDK and the Toshiba for IAL. I've made output changes on both. I've assigned the formats to each input. After all this it only shows PCM Multichannel...I can't even get THX Ultra2 to light up!

Being that your using an HD-DVD player its probably the same as the PS3 in that the players can not send out TrueHD or DTS-MA in bitstream format. What that means is that the players themselves decode the bitstream signal themselves then pass the signal along to the reciever as PCM. The only differance really is that your not getting a light on the front of the reciever and that the PS3 is doing the work instead of the reciever.

There is an arguement that having a reciever doing the decoding is better then the player but since ive never heard bitstreamed audio in either of those formats I cant comment. Last I knew, there were only about 3-4 bluray players that do send out TrueHD and DTS-MA in bitstream format.

Be careful of the people around...they might know how to use their pinky in the worst of ways...
post #469 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:

You know I thought about this the past few hours and to have to use the Wii this way is f*cked up. This received is supposed to be able to display WHATEVER is connected to it through the HDMI output. That's the way I read it on Onkyo's site and that's the way I read it in the manual, period. I have found no reference in the manual that says component input should be output as component as well.

The whole reason I bought this receiver was to connect all my equipment to one receiver and be able to output it through one HDMI connection (my Panasonic TV has only one HDMI input). Having four HDMI devices (PVR, HD DVD, Blu-ray and XBOX 360) this receiver seemed my best option, and with 5 HDMI inputs it gave me one spare (who knows what other toys are down the line).

So in this situation I will actually have to change the output on the receiver manually from HDMI to Component just to use the Wii, and then back again for all my other devices. I sure hope I can automate that with my Harmony XBOX 360 remote...

I use Wii s-video into onkyo s-video, then the onkyo successfully upconverts to 1080i via hdmi out. Looks fine on my 94" projection screen. Sometimes the proper aspect ratio cuts off the top and bottom 4% of Wii output, but 16:9 setting includes the full graphics, even though the aspect stretches the screen.
post #470 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCGrunt0307 View Post

Being that your using an HD-DVD player its probably the same as the PS3 in that the players can not send out TrueHD or DTS-MA in bitstream format. What that means is that the players themselves decode the bitstream signal themselves then pass the signal along to the reciever as PCM. The only differance really is that your not getting a light on the front of the reciever and that the PS3 is doing the work instead of the reciever.

There is an arguement that having a reciever doing the decoding is better then the player but since ive never heard bitstreamed audio in either of those formats I cant comment. Last I knew, there were only about 3-4 bluray players that do send out TrueHD and DTS-MA in bitstream format.

I think it's the other way around. Most blu ray players can bitstream HD audio, and will not send out over pcm. I only own two, the panny bd-30, and the sony s350, and they both lack the ability to decode, but they will bit stream.

post #471 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post

Hi tony,

Ok, can someone please explain to me why it's importance to get a letter free receiver?

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical.
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Dark Knight Saga - 072012
post #472 of 1841 Old 02-08-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEEVIPER View Post

Ok, can someone please explain to me why it's importance to get a letter free receiver?

It was simply my sense of humor that got the best of me..Couldn't resist.

Sorry FCEEVIPER for mistracking you. I apologise.

I ow you one, Bob
post #473 of 1841 Old 02-09-2009, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivas View Post

I think it's the other way around. Most blu ray players can bitstream HD audio, and will not send out over pcm. I only own two, the panny bd-30, and the sony s350, and they both lack the ability to decode, but they will bit stream.

I dont think so...i read a lot of reviews before purchasing this reciever that put the HD audio support into question because there were only a handful of BD players that supported bitstreaming to the reciever. I know the PS3, still considered the best BD player for now, cant bitstream HD audio formats. They all support the audio formats by internally decoding them into PCM format but not taking the exact signal off the disc and pumping it down the line.

FCEEViper The recievers that have an S in their number indicate that they have been refurbished and SHOULD be blue dot free.

post #474 of 1841 Old 02-09-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegagen View Post

Someone in the Toshiba HD-DVD forum solved my delima with my A35. It does bitstream HD formats, but I had to turn ON "Digital Direct" and BINGO! While demo'ing I am Ledgend the Onkyo showed Dolby TrueHD. Guys, I tell ya that Toshiba A35 is the bomb! I HATE that HDDVD lost out to Blu-Ray. If you can score one used...get it! Even the upconverting ability is good!

As for the PS3 I turned off all the PCM selections and was able to get THX Cinema. It seems more enveloping...IMHO. Mulichannel PCM was good, but I can't say it was "all that".

While demo'ing Gears 2 on my Xbox 360 I assigned THX Games for it and man it was MUCH better than the HK AVR7200. I heard sounds in that game I never noticed.

Still learning my TX-SR806, but so far I am satisfied.

Thanks for all your Help!! Because you all have helped me hopefully I can return the favor to someone less knowledgable than me.
post #475 of 1841 Old 02-09-2009, 07:04 AM

Well - there is no audible difference between PCM and bitstream as this post describes...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=32961

When you bitstream an HD codec to your receiver, the DSP's in the reciver change it to LPCM. So really the only benefit you get from bitstream is the warm fuzzy from seeing "TrueHD" or "DTS-MA" on your receiver instead of "Multich". There is no audible difference.
post #476 of 1841 Old 02-09-2009, 08:08 AM

Liked: 11
THXUltra2 question - if i'm running my PS3 through PCM, and i'm playing a game......will I be able to display THX Cinema on the front (assuming I toggle through the options and select that listening mode)? Or will it just display Multichannel PCM?

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

Den: LG 55LX9500, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, DirecTV, AppleTV v3

post #477 of 1841 Old 02-09-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:

I dont think so...i read a lot of reviews before purchasing this reciever that put the HD audio support into question because there were only a handful of BD players that supported bitstreaming to the reciever. I know the PS3, still considered the best BD player for now, cant bitstream HD audio formats. They all support the audio formats by internally decoding them into PCM format but not taking the exact signal off the disc and pumping it down the line.

FCEEViper The recievers that have an S in their number indicate that they have been refurbished and SHOULD be blue dot free.

I wouldn't say the PS3 is the best blu-ray player. I sold my ps3 recently to get some stand-alone players. My panny, and sony dominate it in picture quality, and they're easier to calibrate.

The ps3 is the only one on the top of my head that can't bitstream. All the pannies, denons, sonys, pioneers,lgs, oppos, etc will bit stream.

post #478 of 1841 Old 02-09-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:

So what your saying, when I receive my new 806 in the mail and if it doesn't have an S in the serial I should return it??

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical.
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Dark Knight Saga - 072012
post #479 of 1841 Old 02-09-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdaleHokie View Post

THXUltra2 question - if i'm running my PS3 through PCM, and i'm playing a game......will I be able to display THX Cinema on the front (assuming I toggle through the options and select that listening mode)? Or will it just display Multichannel PCM?

You can use any mode you want. THX cinema, game or music. They all work with a PCM input.
post #480 of 1841 Old 02-10-2009, 01:12 PM

I just pulled the trigger on this one, and look forward to setting it up tonight.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page