"Official" Onkyo TX-SR806 Reciever thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1841 Old 02-15-2009, 02:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
most speakers that have an 4-8 ohm rating tend to be a straight 8ohm speaker, while your amp can calibrate to a lower ohm you still face feed back from the speakers when in use for a long period in time....

this is why the amp overheats because speaker isn't rated for the amp...

the speaker itself is likely pulling to much power, this why the amp gets get because the amp can't drive the speaker the way it should...

while changing to the lower ohm setting has dropped the heat, you still need to face the fact that the speaker you're using is likely to much for the amp, over time you will become part of 6-18 month users club with your speakers and amps, because some people are complete idiots and don't listen to what people tell them, in no way this is a personal attack...

I base my opinions from the simple fact I frequent a few HT forums and I commonly see the same mistake over an over again where people employ systems into a living space that isn't designed to go into and even when it is a dedicated room for it don't mean jack if you got the wrong setup to begin with...

in some cases component a doesn't go with component b and so forth and people don't learn this hard fact of life... this common issue is the bane of industry for the home installers as well.. most just connect the dots and shouldn't be installing equipment they don't know how to handle this is also including the speakers you wish to use, some installer might of been in the industry for years installing ht in homes though how qualified are they actually, anyone can swing around a sound and electrical multi meter doesn't mean they should be doing so...

this is a common misconception when people start buying amps and speakers, any decent commercial installer will likely tell you the same thing i've been saying...

last time i checked the 806 specs, only the fronts support 8 ohms. for HT it's pretty much 4-6ohms..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1841 Old 02-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Started setting up my 806 yesterday. Still have to get all of my new speakers mounted before I start any heavy calibration. My current speakers are 96db and the new ones are 83 so I can't "play it by ear" on this one.

My first task was getting it to play nicely with my EP2500 and I think I've got that accomplished. It's doing much better than my old 503 model. Currently I'm trying to figure out how to get the rear channels active while watching something that's just in 5.1. In another thread somebody mentioned putting in DPLIIX but the lights for the 2 rear channel's does not come on. On my old receiver, I had it set to do auto EX, same with this one but they just don't come in in the THX modes. Any way to "trick" them into coming on? I really like the additional ambience even if it is just matrixed in.
post #543 of 1841 Old 02-15-2009, 08:04 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadci View Post

Started setting up my 806 yesterday. Still have to get all of my new speakers mounted before I start any heavy calibration. My current speakers are 96db and the new ones are 83 so I can't "play it by ear" on this one.

My first task was getting it to play nicely with my EP2500 and I think I've got that accomplished. It's doing much better than my old 503 model. Currently I'm trying to figure out how to get the rear channels active while watching something that's just in 5.1. In another thread somebody mentioned putting in DPLIIX but the lights for the 2 rear channel's does not come on. On my old receiver, I had it set to do auto EX, same with this one but they just don't come in in the THX modes. Any way to "trick" them into coming on? I really like the additional ambience even if it is just matrixed in.

I don't think that all 7 speaker lights will come on unless something is being sent to the receiver in 7.1 bitstream, but I could be wrong. I have a 6.1 setup, and if I select any of the matrixed listening modes, I get sound from all 6 but have yet to see the 6 speaker lights lit up. Again, I may be wrong.....

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

Den: LG 55LX9500, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, DirecTV, AppleTV v3

post #544 of 1841 Old 02-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Thats correct, the lights show the incoming channels not outgoing.
post #545 of 1841 Old 02-15-2009, 09:28 AM

I have both an Onkyo TX-DS787 and TX-SR806. They each have Optical OUT's. I'm thinking they are for Bose or Bose type 5.1 speaker systems, but not being a Bose guy, am not sure... (I think their overpriced and underwhelming). ANYWAY, what do YOU do with your Optical Out ports on these guys?

Thanks! JJC
post #546 of 1841 Old 02-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thank's guys.
post #547 of 1841 Old 02-15-2009, 09:35 PM

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone here can really help me out. I am really frustrated and frankly kind of disappointed. With that out of the way, here is my current situation.

52" Aquos > HDMI>Tuner
PS3 > HDMI>Tuner
HD Tivo> HDMI > Tuner

I haven't monkeyed with a lot of the settings on the Onkyo, so I am really looking for verbatim (click here, then there, etc) instructions.

Basically, I am watching the Tivo, maybe for 20-30mins, then all of the sudden the audio drops. If I switch to another input and then go back, it comes back on. Two things I am hoping. Either it's a setting I am overlooking and it's a quick fix, or the tuner itself it bad (brand new) and I won't have to pull the remaining 4 hairs I have left, out. Any and all advice would be beyond appreciated.
post #548 of 1841 Old 02-15-2009, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumzerocom View Post

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone here can really help me out. I am really frustrated and frankly kind of disappointed. With that out of the way, here is my current situation.

52" Aquos > HDMI>Tuner
PS3 > HDMI>Tuner
HD Tivo> HDMI > Tuner

I haven't monkeyed with a lot of the settings on the Onkyo, so I am really looking for verbatim (click here, then there, etc) instructions.

Basically, I am watching the Tivo, maybe for 20-30mins, then all of the sudden the audio drops. If I switch to another input and then go back, it comes back on. Two things I am hoping. Either it's a setting I am overlooking and it's a quick fix, or the tuner itself it bad (brand new) and I won't have to pull the remaining 4 hairs I have left, out. Any and all advice would be beyond appreciated.

I don't know if I'm much help as I don't own a TIVO, but some suggestions:

1) It sounds like a compatibility issue between the TIVO and the Onkyo. You would have to talk to another TIVO owner to confirm this. However, if you can update the firmware on the TIVO, I'd try that first. Check the back of the unit for an Ethernet connection or do a quick google search for updates.

2) If it is not something correctable by firmware, try another connection method. The TIVO doesn't output in 1080P, I assume, so you could get by using component cables and sending the audio to the Onkyo via a digital optical cable. HDMI is still a very finicky technology and compatibility issues are very common.

3) Check to make sure your TIVO settings are correct: audio out via HDMI; sound output in Dolby Digital, etc. Then make sure you have configured something strange in the listening mode preset menu on the Onkyo: Setup> 5. Listening Mode Preset.

By chance, have you noticed if the sound drops out when switching audio formats, e.g., going from 5.1 television programming to stereo commercials. I have seen that happen on other Onkyo receivers with a satellite cable box.
post #549 of 1841 Old 02-16-2009, 06:09 AM

I started a general receiver thread on how I chose my receiver, what was important to me, etc. I wasnt trying to sell anyone on the 806 but that was the receiver I ended up choosing. Some Q&A from readers followed so I thought the thread would be helpful or interesting to some who frequenet this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=chose
post #550 of 1841 Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 AM

First time post, but long time reader. I have an Onkyo 806, bought it 1 week ago. I am having troubles with the sound from digital channels from my HD cable box and the Resident Evil 5 Demo on my PS3. It displays Dolby Digital on the reciever and the sound goes in and out with both the cable box and PS3. It seems to only happen with dolby digital sound. Regualr analog channels are okay and Blu-rays are fine. Everything is hooked up with HDMI cables. It drives me absolutely nuts!! I have emailed Onkyo's customer support with no reply yet. Any ideas or thoughts?
post #551 of 1841 Old 02-16-2009, 10:23 AM

Super, sounds like the same problem. Onkyoman, thanx, but it also cuts out when the PS3 is on. Game or BluRay, doesnt matter. So the consistency is that it does cut out from both devices. Hopefully this catches someone's eye and it's a lame setting. thx
post #552 of 1841 Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 AM

Both of your audio problems sound suspiciously like an Onkyo problem I'm familiar with. Monitor when the audio cuts out. Does it occur when the sound format switches from Dolby Digital 5.1 to 2-channel stereo (such as a commercial break, for example)? This switch in audio formats tripped up a couple of last year's models.

I don't know if this was a fault of a few bad units or a larger issue. There are plenty who own PS3's, however, they should be able to comment on whether they are experiencing similar issues.

P.S. Onkyo customer service sucks. I sent support a question asking for the spreadsheet of Pronto Hex codes for this receiver and did not receive any response whatsoever. I then went to the Integra website and asked for the same spreadsheet for the Integra equivalent (DTR-7.9) and received a response within a couple of days. They sent the wrong spreadsheet the first time (they me the 7.9 DVD player spreadsheet) but at least they acknowledged my question. If you can't get through Onkyo customer service, try the Integra site. The DTR-7.9 is the identical equivalent to 806 and would likely be afflicted by the same issues. Just tell them you own an Integra DTR-7.9.
post #553 of 1841 Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

I know this may sound strange to try but, i'd recommend:

Check to make sure the power outlet is fine...some electronic devices are A LOT more sensitive to electrical disturbances than others and can cause a variety of "anomalies"

Try using a different type of connection...if your using HDMI trying going with optical and see if it still happens. If it stops cutting in/out go back and try a different HDMI cord. It could be the wire, or a bad HDMI out port, or if it still occurs there is an audio processing failure in one of the units.

As for the PS3 issues...the only time ive ever had audio cutting in and out is when the audio feed changes from one format to another...I have yet to experiance that in the middle of a game though.

Be careful of the people around...they might know how to use their pinky in the worst of ways...
post #554 of 1841 Old 02-16-2009, 04:14 PM

Thanks all. Onkyoman, if that is the problem (switching 5.1, etc) what's the fix? Turn monitor off?
post #555 of 1841 Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumzerocom View Post

Thanks all. Onkyoman, if that is the problem (switching 5.1, etc) what's the fix? Turn monitor off?

Don't know. You'd have to go to customer support with that one. If that is the issue, they should at least have a sniff as to what you are talking about. It is a more specific support question than "My audio cuts out."
post #556 of 1841 Old 02-17-2009, 07:15 AM

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ca...vels-xvycc-rgb

I was just reading this article and had a thought about the 806 clipping BTB. If xvycc is set to on, technically the receiver should allow the pass through of BTB. From reading the article enabling xvycc will allow a full range signal of 0-255 to pass thru the receiver. What other reason would the 806 have this feature for?

Does anyone have xvycc enabled on their receiver?

The option is called xv color on the receiver.
post #557 of 1841 Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Tell me how to turn it on and I'll give it a whirl.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #558 of 1841 Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Tell me how to turn it on and I'll give it a whirl.

Menu-> Hardware setup -> HDMI -> XVcolor

I'm not sure if it works but from the reading I did it should. Sony camcorders and LCD tv's call it XV color which sends 0-255.
post #559 of 1841 Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 AM

I was shoppping around for a new 7.1 receiver with HDMI inputs, and happened to find an open-box 806 for ~$500. Based on reviews, I had originally been deciding between a 606, a 706, and an 805 and was on the hunt for a good price when I found the 806 deal. This is what really sealed the deal for me.

I don't listen to music outside of XM, and movies and games via the PS3 and Xbox360 take up most of the receiver's time. So, being that XM quality sucks and I don't need upsacaling, Price and movie sound decoding were the biggest factors. The price on the 806, and the formats it supported made it a winner.

After setting it up, I have to say that I am very happy with my choice... as is my g/f. Usually she gives me the look when I make big purchases, but this time she was happy. She even approves of my shopping around for surround speakers to match the Infinity Primus 362s I put up front.

I'm slowly making the transition away from the equipment I have been using. I have been using an RCA 5.1 HTiB with a Celestion S20 8" sub for years, and still use the speakers for surrounds and center, but the difference is like night and day. The sound is now very crisp and clean, and with the addition of a Polk PSW12, the sofa now shakes when something explodes.
post #560 of 1841 Old 02-17-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4805 View Post

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ca...vels-xvycc-rgb

I was just reading this article and had a thought about the 806 clipping BTB. If xvycc is set to on, technically the receiver should allow the pass through of BTB. From reading the article enabling xvycc will allow a full range signal of 0-255 to pass thru the receiver. What other reason would the 806 have this feature for?

Does anyone have xvycc enabled on their receiver?

The option is called xv color on the receiver.

RGB is full range... you shouldn't need to have xvycc to pass BTB. Alot of displays don't even support xv color. I've never turned it on on my plasma, and it has always been able to display BTB. xv color is just a marketing gimmick. BTB is 16 which is in the regular Ypbcr range.

Xbox Live: LoftyStream
PSN: LoftyStream
post #561 of 1841 Old 02-17-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivas View Post

RGB is full range... you shouldn't need to have xvycc to pass BTB. Alot of displays don't even support xv color. I've never turned it on on my plasma, and it has always been able to display BTB. xv color is just a marketing gimmick. BTB is 16 which is in the regular Ypbcr range.

I am just wondering what it will look like if everything is compatible with XV color. Would you be able to see all shades of colors in a test pattern that displays BTB.
post #562 of 1841 Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:

I am just wondering what it will look like if everything is compatible with XV color. Would you be able to see all shades of colors in a test pattern that displays BTB.

You should be able to see BTB whether xv is on or off. Not really any movies use xv color anyways. I can see every range without xv anyways.

post #563 of 1841 Old 02-17-2009, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the input. The sound really doesn't skip going from a 2 ch source to a 5.1 source. Whenever I am wathcing anything 5.1 during the program it cuts on and off. However I thought it didn't have enough room to dispense of the heat, so I moved the receiver to a different shelf and when I let it cool down and start up again I didn't have any problems playing games in DD with my PS3. Thought it solved the problem. When I was watchin "House" in DD 5.1 it cut in and out during the program. Should I place a small fan next to the unit? I might try switching from a HDMI Cable to an optical with my cable box.
post #564 of 1841 Old 02-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermandan80 View Post

Thanks for the input. The sound really doesn't skip going from a 2 ch source to a 5.1 source. Whenever I am wathcing anything 5.1 during the program it cuts on and off. However I thought it didn't have enough room to dispense of the heat, so I moved the receiver to a different shelf and when I let it cool down and start up again I didn't have any problems playing games in DD with my PS3. Thought it solved the problem. When I was watchin "House" in DD 5.1 it cut in and out during the program. Should I place a small fan next to the unit? I might try switching from a HDMI Cable to an optical with my cable box.

My receiver also cut out a bunch of times during the broadcast. I think it's a broadcast problem and not a receiver problem.
post #565 of 1841 Old 02-17-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:

You should be able to see BTB whether xv is on or off. Not really any movies use xv color anyways. I can see every range without xv anyways.

Very true.
post #566 of 1841 Old 02-17-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:

My receiver also cut out a bunch of times during the broadcast. I think it's a broadcast problem and not a receiver problem.

It only cuts out during HD broadcasts. I can go between different HD channels broadcast in DD and it cuts out. Analog channels it works fine. I am going to try an optical cable. I hate to, but it is worth trying. I tried all 5 HDMI inputs.
post #567 of 1841 Old 02-17-2009, 06:22 PM

So I finally took the plunge, I purchased it from Amazon. I should have it by Friday, I'll be installing it this weekend.

Wish me luck!

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical.
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Dark Knight Saga - 072012
post #568 of 1841 Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermandan80 View Post

It only cuts out during HD broadcasts. I can go between different HD channels broadcast in DD and it cuts out. Analog channels it works fine. I am going to try an optical cable. I hate to, but it is worth trying. I tried all 5 HDMI inputs.

I had that problem a few days ago, it turned out to be a bad hdmi cable

post #569 of 1841 Old 02-17-2009, 08:53 PM

I just bought my first concert Blu-Rays a couple of days ago. I now truly understand what lossless audio is all about. I thought I knew already, but I didn't. If you haven't stepped into the HD realm, I suggest diving with both feet in.

The Dark Knight, Black Hawk Down and Ironman are films I've seen that look and sound leagues better than their DVD counterparts, but listening to Nine Inch Nails and Dave Matthews for the first time made the hair on my arms stand up - and this with mere mid-fi PSB speakers! I think I've found my new addiction. I know I can't live without an HD audio processor, and may there be many more great concert discs.
post #570 of 1841 Old 02-18-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:

I had that problem a few days ago, it turned out to be a bad hdmi cable

The programs start fine when the reciever is first turned on, but 20 to 30 mins into the program it starts cutting out. I switched HDMI cables around and still the same result. It seems it is only upon the reciever getting hot and only with Dolby Digital programs. I have one other HDMI cable I could switch around. Haven't tried the optical to see if that works yet. Try it tonight when I get home.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page