"Official" Onkyo TX-SR806 Reciever thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > "Official" Onkyo TX-SR806 Reciever thread
LansdaleHokie's Avatar LansdaleHokie 12:56 PM 03-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by manathome98 View Post

I have no idea if anyone can help me, but ill give this a try, i have an 806 with a panny bd30 connected with Hdmi, i have the setting on the bd30 set for bittstream, but my 806 true hd light doesn't go on,all that comes on is the digital light but the bd30 says its putting out True HD, i've tried another make blue ray player and True HD light comes on, any suggestions, i'm pulling out my hair over this and i don't want to be bald before i am 46....

the BD30 doesn't bitstream the HD audio codecs. There are plenty of posts here explaining it, but basically your BD player processes the audio internally instead of allowing the 806 to perform the decoding. Most will tell you that there is no difference between the BD player doing the decoding compared to having the AVR perform the decoding. If you want to see the little light pop on on the AVR, you will need to get a BD player that bistreams the HD audio codecs. FYI - the PS3 has the same "problem". If you want to get HD audio from your current setup, set your BD player to PCM, and the AVR will output in HD, you just won't get the light on the front indicating as such.

subiefast's Avatar subiefast 01:13 PM 03-02-2009
The bd30 does bitstream hd-audio. I have one, and can attest to it. My dts-hd light comes on.
LansdaleHokie's Avatar LansdaleHokie 01:14 PM 03-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiefast View Post

The bd30 does bitstream hd-audio. I have one, and can attest to it. My dts-hd light comes on.

not per cnet it doesn't......

http://reviews.cnet.com/video-player...?tag=mncol;lst

scratch that..........back to the drawing board....
LansdaleHokie's Avatar LansdaleHokie 01:17 PM 03-02-2009
Quote:

I have no idea if anyone can help me, but ill give this a try, i have an 806 with a panny bd30 connected with Hdmi, i have the setting on the bd30 set for bittstream, but my 806 true hd light doesn't go on,all that comes on is the digital light but the bd30 says its putting out True HD, i've tried another make blue ray player and True HD light comes on, any suggestions, i'm pulling out my hair over this and i don't want to be bald before i am 46....

have you checked that the BD that you are watching has the HD audio option selected in the audio menu of the disc? I know that a lot of BD's don't default to that option.
crussell1492's Avatar crussell1492 01:20 PM 03-02-2009
CNET says:

The bad:
No built-in decoding for high-resolution audio formats; no Ethernet jack for firmware upgrades or future interactive content

which means you can only Bitstream the adv Codecs.
LansdaleHokie's Avatar LansdaleHokie 01:32 PM 03-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

CNET says:

The bad:
No built-in decoding for high-resolution audio formats; no Ethernet jack for firmware upgrades or future interactive content

which means you can only Bitstream the adv Codecs.

that's what i thought at first, but if you read the review it does state:

"Panasonic's DMP-BD30 is one of the first Blu-ray players that can output both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks in bitstream format, to be decoded by compatible receivers."
subiefast's Avatar subiefast 02:29 PM 03-02-2009
The bd-30 does bitstream the HD codecs, for the AVR to decode. Whiich is why my DTS-HD, and Dolby True-HD lights come on. The bd30 does not internally decode the HD codecs.
manathome98's Avatar manathome98 04:31 PM 03-02-2009
i have selected the HD audio option on the Batman movies and I am legend but no light,
subiefast's Avatar subiefast 04:43 PM 03-02-2009
Make sure bd-video secondary audio is set to off, and that all digital output options are set to bitstream. Also make sure pcm down conversion is set to off. This is in the home setup menu of course.
manathome98's Avatar manathome98 04:49 PM 03-02-2009
Ive done that
kplex's Avatar kplex 04:57 PM 03-02-2009
Quote:

Ive done that

Does your display support 1080p inputs? I know it's a weird seemingly unrelated question, but if it doesn't there may be a connection.
subiefast's Avatar subiefast 05:01 PM 03-02-2009
Just to verify, you are running an hdmi cable to the receiver correct?
manathome98's Avatar manathome98 05:05 PM 03-02-2009
yes I am, and i bought a new Hdmi cable as well, because i thought that was the problem, so now i have a monster 1000 cable
Zefram's Avatar Zefram 05:07 PM 03-02-2009
Quote:

i have selected the HD audio option on the Batman movies and I am legend but no light,

Also, I know the Dark Knight isn't set to default at True HD audio. You have to change that in the disc menu audio section.
manathome98's Avatar manathome98 05:13 PM 03-02-2009
i did that also, i always make sure i have selected HD audio
subiefast's Avatar subiefast 05:14 PM 03-02-2009
Quote:

yes I am, and i bought a new Hdmi cable as well, because i thought that was the problem, so now i have a monster 1000 cable

Listening mode preset, what is it set on in the receiver?
manathome98's Avatar manathome98 05:20 PM 03-02-2009
i have that set on true hd
manathome98's Avatar manathome98 05:40 PM 03-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

Does your display support 1080p inputs? I know it's a weird seemingly unrelated question, but if it doesn't there may be a connection.

my display is 1080i but i have the bd30 outputting 1080i also
Unseenthings's Avatar Unseenthings 02:14 PM 03-03-2009
Picked up a demo 806 from Circuit City, didn't have a manual, I've been reading a pdf copy. I can't get my ps3 to work over HDMI. I did a av reset on it, no luck, move the hmdi cable to my tivo, tivo works, PS3 works over composite output by hdmi, any ideas? HDCP handshake issue?
Thanks
Brian
sanjoseskater's Avatar sanjoseskater 04:03 PM 03-03-2009
Reset your PS3 so it will output hdmi.
Onkyoman's Avatar Onkyoman 06:38 PM 03-03-2009
Quote:

Update your firmware. I have a Panasonic BD35 (this year's player) and it wouldn't play DTS-HD tracks through the Onkyo until I updated the firmware. This is a likely culprit.
manathome98's Avatar manathome98 06:50 PM 03-03-2009
i have done that, everybody pulling out their hair yet!!!
Unseenthings's Avatar Unseenthings 07:32 PM 03-03-2009
To clarify, i did a av reset on both the onkyo and the ps3, i can pull the hdmi cable out of the hdmi out on the onkyo and plug it into the ps3 and it works fine, I went and dug out my toshiba HD DVD player and tried it, no dice, so I'm really thinking HDCP issue. FYI, on the ps3 the onkyo said it had the signal, on the HD it kept bouncing between signal and no signal
tabularasa's Avatar tabularasa 08:48 PM 03-03-2009
.02 cents. I have an enclosed setup due to having small children who like to mess with things. I have a server, HTPC, UPS, in my entertainment center. It used to get very hot. The i bought a couple of the fans from hometheatercooling.com, which blow away computer fans. Made a large tempature difference.

I am planning on getting an 806, and will make sure I position it accordingly.

Great thread btw, thanks for all who have contributed.
radz282003's Avatar radz282003 02:00 PM 03-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseenthings View Post

To clarify, i did a av reset on both the onkyo and the ps3, i can pull the hdmi cable out of the hdmi out on the onkyo and plug it into the ps3 and it works fine, I went and dug out my toshiba HD DVD player and tried it, no dice, so I'm really thinking HDCP issue. FYI, on the ps3 the onkyo said it had the signal, on the HD it kept bouncing between signal and no signal

Stupid question, but did you set your output on the PS3 to HDMI? If not, do that, and then make the according adjustments in the audio settings so that it sends HD signals to the 806. I don't know where you started reading on this thread, but know (if you don't already) that you can't bitstream the HD signals from the PS3 to the 806, therefore, you won't see te DTSHD/DDHD indicators light up on the 806. You can set the PS3 to bitstream but the 806 won't see it. It seems like you get about the same quality sound as you would if the indicators were on, but don't expect to see them, because you won't. JVHO. I'm no expert, so I'm only suggesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabularasa View Post

.02 cents. I have an enclosed setup due to having small children who like to mess with things. I have a server, HTPC, UPS, in my entertainment center. It used to get very hot. The i bought a couple of the fans from hometheatercooling.com, which blow away computer fans. Made a large tempature difference.

I am planning on getting an 806, and will make sure I position it accordingly.

Great thread btw, thanks for all who have contributed.

This thread saved my thoughts on buying the 806. I spent a lot of a day reading it before sending the confirmation to buy.

I, too, have a semi-enclosed cabinet with doors and an open rear panel. Right now, I have my 806 on the bottom rack with about 5-inches of open space above it. I have to industrial 120mm fans (that are WAY too loud, but move more than 200 cfm of air, LOL) one of which that I use to point directly into the vents and one next to it to pull the hot air out; I also have a 90* thermostatic switch that turns off at 80*. It works well and I can feel the exhaust fan push air out of the cabinet. It comes on pretty frequently because I run in 6 ohm mode (with 4 ohm front speakers) so she runs pretty warm, but all seems well for now. I think you're going to be okay with your set-up.
whorunit's Avatar whorunit 04:18 PM 03-04-2009
Is this receiver worth the upgrade from a 605?

I need more power to my RTi10 fronts, CSI5, & RTi8 rears.
Or is something better for the ~600 price?

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!
Unseenthings's Avatar Unseenthings 05:08 PM 03-04-2009
Yes, the ps3 is set for HDMI out, if I bypass the onkyo the ps3 works fine over HDMI
USMCGrunt0307's Avatar USMCGrunt0307 07:22 PM 03-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorunit View Post

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!

As many others have said, you cant beat the 806 at its price point.
subiefast's Avatar subiefast 07:23 PM 03-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorunit View Post

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!

I did exactly that.
whorunit's Avatar whorunit 08:39 PM 03-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiefast View Post

I did exactly that.

Thanks for the replies!

Can you be more specific on what you thought was improved from the 605 to 806?

How about the video pass through?? Is this an issue because from what I have read there are differing reports.
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop