Just set up my 806 with a 5.0 channel setup (no sub but large front speakers) and HDMI to my Blu-ray player.
My question is aboout how to assign listening modes to sources. I know how to do it, looking more for advice on the actual selections.
For CD, tuner, and iPod, I prefer to listen in 2-channel stereo mode. This is a fairly easy setup to make using the "Listening Mode Preset" menu--basically, I've set all of the options to "stereo" for the CD, tuner, and iPod inputs.
My questions is how best to do this for the DVD setup?
My old Sony had an "AFD" mode where it would determine the source material and set the right listening mode. If it found Dolby 2.0, it would set to a 2-channel stereo mode. If it found Dolby 5.1, it would set to the 5.1 mode. If it found DTS, it would set to DTS. Etc.
I'd like to set up the Onkyo to choose the right listening mode based upon the material it receives. Unfortunately, for my setup, I'm not exactly sure which selections I should make.
Here's what I was thinking (working off the manual, not the unit, so I may not have all the options correct); again my DVD connection is HDMI exclusively, bitstreaming everything from a Panasonic BD-35K; I use the DVD almost exclusively for DVD, but will occasionally drop a CD in:
- Analog/PCM:? not sure what would come in over this; just CDs if I play them in the DVD player? or would I expect to see this encoding on a DVD?
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus? (not sure if I set it to "plus" if it will downconvert if it gets a DD source, or if it even lets me select plus over the standard)
- DTS: DTS or DTS 96/24? (again, not sure if it will downconvert)
- D.F.2ch: stereo or ProLogic II?
- D.F.Mono: mono or ProLogic II?
- Multich PCM: ? not even sure what would come in as this source
- 192k/176.4k: ? again, not sure what would come in as this source
- Dolby TrueHD: Dolby True HD
- DTS-HD MA: DTS-HD HR or DTS-HD MA (again, not sure if it will downconvert)
- DSD: ?