"Official" Onkyo TX-SR806 Reciever thread - Page 62 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1831 of 1841 Old 04-28-2014, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Dr.2K, did you ever get your receiver fixed? If so what did you end up doing? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1841 Old 04-28-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioElChingon View Post

Dr.2K, did you ever get your receiver fixed? If so what did you end up doing? 

What I ended up doing was replacing ALL the 22u capacitors as well about 13 100u capacitors (I looked closer and I did find the rest of the 100u's). However, it did not work and I also do not have audio anymore as well. I am going to just go ahead and replace the unit with a new receiver. I don't want to waste anymore time on this fix. I do appreciate everyone's posts in this thread as the was a great learning experience!
post #1833 of 1841 Old 05-05-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 48

Uggghhh... My son's perfectly functioning 806 went up in flames (literally!) yesterday dues to an errant screw piercing the SR speaker cable.  Now it fires up with normal display for about 10 seconds then goes into protection mode.

That's the bad news... the silver lining is that I have been seriously contemplating an upgrade to my (also perfectly functioning) 876, so now I have more incentive knowing that the 876 might have a good home as a replacement for his 806.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #1834 of 1841 Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 PM

Here is my "Official" TX-SR806 tale of woe:

I bought my 806 in December of 2009 from Crutchfield. Right away I gave up trying to use the HDMI switching as my Motorola STB did not like it and the signal would be fine for about 10 minutes, then nothing. After a couple of hours with Comcast techs, I was told the box had compatibility issues with Onkyo and to run the HDMI directly to the TV so that the signal would be "purer". So much for upscaling! I was able to connect my Sony Bluray through the 806 and this allowed me to do on-screen setup. After reading about the HDMI failures due to heat, I installed cooling fans at the unit and at an exhaust vent in the cabinet. All was well until I decided to go to a Samsung Plasma Smart TV.

The move required a whole new approach, since to use the apps on the TV you had to bring the audio back to the receiver. I ran digital audio out from the TV to the 806. That worked like a champ and I was a happy camper. I had to rewire the front right speaker, and after doing so I decided to recalibrate the 7.1 setup with the Audessey microphone. It completed the calculations and showed no subwoofer installed. Wrong!

I pulled the subwoofer cable from the receiver and when I did, it hummed, telling me that the subwoofer and cable were operating. I went into the setup menu and manually turned the subwoofer back on, then turned up the gain to +12db and did a speaker check. Nothing.

So now I am totally bummed. I planned to upgrade this receiver next year as I am not impressed with the 828 (a step backwards from the 818). I want to get a feel for the 838 before seriously considering it. As an alternative I am looking at the Yamaha lineup of 9.2 models, such as the 2020 or 2030, Which would give me comparable power, but perhaps better reliability.

In the meantime, I need to try to get the subwoofer out jack to work so I don't have to listen to sound that reminds me of cheap TV speakers. My question is this: Have any other 806 owners experienced a similar problem, and if so, were you able to correct it?

I hope so. Otherwise I have a 40lb. boat anchor.

post #1835 of 1841 Old 05-06-2014, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieK View Post
In the meantime, I need to try to get the subwoofer out jack to work so I don't have to listen to sound that reminds me of cheap TV speakers. My question is this: Have any other 806 owners experienced a similar problem, and if so, were you able to correct it?

This may or may not apply to your 806, but it's free and relatively easy enough to try...

Twice in the 5 years I've had it, my 876 has had it's center channel output go away.  In both cases, doing a factory reset restored the center channel output.  You'll have to redo your Audyssey setup, and reconfigure any listening mode presets, input reassignments or input labels you had.  Also, it's a good idea to disconnect the unit from AC power for a minute or so both before and after the factory reset.

With just about any misbehaving piece of microprocessor controlled electronics these days, a factory reset should always be tried before relegating it to boat anchor status. 

Good Luck!

post #1836 of 1841 Old 05-06-2014, 06:02 AM

I will certainly try to do a reset, but I'm not sure how to do it other than unplugging the receiver and reconnecting it. Has anyone done a factory reset on the 806?

post #1837 of 1841 Old 05-06-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will certainly try to do a reset, but I'm not sure how to do it other than unplugging the receiver and reconnecting it. Has anyone done a factory reset on the 806?

806 Manual... Page 117 "Troubleshooting":

...again, no guarantees... but if you have tried everything else and are about to give up, it can't hurt to try. 

post #1838 of 1841 Old 05-06-2014, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the info. Did the factory reset and unfortunately, it did not restore the subwoofer output. Any other ideas?
post #1839 of 1841 Old 05-08-2014, 09:14 PM

Solved the problem with a pair of pliers.

I tested the cable, but not the connector. After giving up and ordering a Yamaha RX-A3030 as a last resort I took a pair of electrician pliers and gently clamped the ground ears on the connector. I fired it up and away it went. Now I have a perfectly good 806 with nowhere to go. It's always the simplest thing, go figure! :)

post #1840 of 1841 Old 05-16-2014, 06:38 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Solved the problem with a pair of pliers.

I tested the cable, but not the connector. After giving up and ordering a Yamaha RX-A3030 as a last resort I took a pair of electrician pliers and gently clamped the ground ears on the connector. I fired it up and away it went. Now I have a perfectly good 806 with nowhere to go. It's always the simplest thing, go figure! smile.gif

My subwoofer not working was one of the first symptoms of my 806 needing the capacitors replaced. Eventually the sub would hardly ever work and then the receiver would send static and crazy signals through all the speakers and the sub, scared the crap out of my wife and kids when it would do it in the middle of the night if I forgot to turn it off. All the problems went away after I replaced the capacitors. I hadn't soldered anything since high school, but it was easier than expected, only took about 45 minutes. If your sub starts not working you may want to look into replacing those. It also solved my HDMI issues.

Stu
post #1841 of 1841 Old 05-30-2014, 05:03 AM

Hi Guys,
My AV is not passing the HDMI signal when the device is in standby it has to be on. Is there any way to do a firmware update?
TIA
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page