Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

You might need some speakers with that set up

Djoel

yeah, what's that about? Unless....he's using the brand whose name can not be said.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1841 Old 12-24-2008, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by katana1100 View Post

I have been following this thread for a while, and it looks like some owners are quite happy, and others are having problems. Despite all the problems I have read here about the new Onkyo 806's, I took the plunge anyway and will try my luck. Hopefully no blue dots or hums! My setup will include:
Onkyo TX-SR806
Samsung LN-52A860 52" LCD
Panasonic DMP-BD35K
Xbox 360
DishNetwork ViP622
D-Link DSM320 Media Streamer
Sony DVP-CX985V 400 DVD Player
Harmony 880 refurb (looked brand new when it arrived )

I'll post an update on how everything turns out!

Just in case you werent, id suggest using HDMI on that Dish reciever...the component outs have a tendency to go in and out, drop audio, pixelate, and do any number of other crappy things...

Be careful of the people around...they might know how to use their pinky in the worst of ways...
post #183 of 1841 Old 12-24-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

yeah, what's that about? Unless....he's using the brand whose name can not be said.

Hmm the one that rhymes with lows!

DJoel
post #184 of 1841 Old 12-24-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hey Guys, enjoy reading all your inputs regarding the 806. I've had mine for over a week now and still making new discoveries on it daily.

I had the blue dot issue, which I don't see discussed here at all. I switched out the 10' monoprice hdmi cables for a run of the mill 6' ones (a Dynex one and one that came from the Direct TV) and problem gone. Of course, it was said that setting the PS3 to 1080i would fix it too. Maybe these "cheap" HDMI cables have the same effect of going to 1080i. So, anyboyd else have these blue dot issues?

Also, I've always just kept the sound selection to THX Cinema (naively thinking that may be the best option). I was watching I, Robot last night (which has DTS MA) and switched to DTS on the 806. What a difference!!

So, am I fine to assume that setting to what the blu-ray is set to is the best way of interpreting the sound? Also, did I read right that PS3 doesn't output in True HD or DTS MA?

Thanks in advance!

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #185 of 1841 Old 12-24-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Sorry about that! I had a feeling I was forgetting something but was too tired to figure it out at the time. Kinda like being at the grocery store and forgetting why you're there.

I switch set-ups depending on what type of listening:
HT and light listening:
Wharfedale Modus x 5
DCM Subwoofer

Wake the neighbor listening:
Cerwin Vega! AT-12 x 2
DCM Half-Times x 2
DCM Subwoofer

I have been very happy with this setup in the past, with an Onkyo TXSV-70 Pro receiver. Hopefully the TX-SR806 will have enough umph for them.
post #186 of 1841 Old 12-24-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCGrunt0307 View Post

Just in case you werent, id suggest using HDMI on that Dish reciever...the component outs have a tendency to go in and out, drop audio, pixelate, and do any number of other crappy things...

Thanks for the tip! The Dish guy is coming out this Saturday.
post #187 of 1841 Old 12-25-2008, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

Hey Guys, enjoy reading all your inputs regarding the 806. I've had mine for over a week now and still making new discoveries on it daily.

I had the blue dot issue, which I don't see discussed here at all. I switched out the 10' monoprice hdmi cables for a run of the mill 6' ones (a Dynex one and one that came from the Direct TV) and problem gone. Of course, it was said that setting the PS3 to 1080i would fix it too. Maybe these "cheap" HDMI cables have the same effect of going to 1080i. So, anyboyd else have these blue dot issues?

Also, I've always just kept the sound selection to THX Cinema (naively thinking that may be the best option). I was watching I, Robot last night (which has DTS MA) and switched to DTS on the 806. What a difference!!

So, am I fine to assume that setting to what the blu-ray is set to is the best way of interpreting the sound? Also, did I read right that PS3 doesn't output in True HD or DTS MA?

Thanks in advance!

Ive not heard of the blue dot issue...whats that about?

I like to put a lot of programming in the THX Cinema mode also because I like that sound over the 5.1 original from my Sat. box.

As far as settings go...yes, you wanna use the same audio out setting as whats being streamed from your blu player. I usually set my to Direct for that and then the receiver doesnt do any audio processing, just sends out the exact signal it is getting from the other end of the cable, i.e. If your watching a show that is only sending 2-channel audio then your only gonna get 2 channels of audio (Front Left and Right), adversly if your watching a DVD that has Dolby Digital 5.1 then your reciever will light up the DD logo and you'll get 5.1 channels of audio goodness.

The PS3 does not BITSTREAM TrueHD or DTS-MA. It does decode that signal internally and sends it to the reciever as PCM. PCM is the format that all audio devices know how to read. If the PS3 could bitstream, the signal would go untouched from the PS3 to the reciever to be decoded into PCM and then processed and sent out to the speakers. If you look around you'll find conflicting opinions about how bitstream doesnt sound any better then PCM or vice versa. I've never heard bitstreamed audio so I cant comment.

Basically...when your playing a TrueHD/DTS-MA soundtrack the appropriate logo isnt going to light up on the display of your reciever but you'll be getting all the audio at ABOUT the same quality (Again...never heard bitstream so I cant say its the same or better).

Be careful of the people around...they might know how to use their pinky in the worst of ways...
post #188 of 1841 Old 12-25-2008, 09:56 AM

Happy Holidays everyone. I picked up an Onkyo 706 a few days ago and am busy w/ reading, learning and set-up. So far so good.

I am visiting this forum/thread, because some folks in the 706 thread expressed concerns about possible overheating. Are 806 owners experiencing any difficulty with this issue? Anything that is actually causing problems or failure?

The 706 manual recommends a good 8" clearance for ventilation. Short of putting the receiver on an open shelf/stand arrangement, this will be tough to accomplish. My wife has been eyeing more furniture console options. She just doesn't think like a bachelor sometimes.. go figure

I know receivers can run quite hot. My last receiver, an NAD, ran very warm.

So, what is the 806 consensus around here?

Thanks in advance.
post #189 of 1841 Old 12-26-2008, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need a new receiver to help manage my HT gear a little better. Currently I have an Onkyo 503 and it did a great job for apartment style housing, but now, as a homeowner I want more.

I currently have my television and projector ( both 720P) running off of a 4x2 HDMI splitter which I plan to continue using. I run all of the inputs to it then 1 output to each display. I have my projector screen pull down in front of my TV so it works well. What I will do with an HDMI receiver is run 1 output straight to the tv and then other to the receiver and to the projector from there. I just don't need maybe even want the whole system on all of the time. Not much different than how it's running now with the exception of running through the receiver first and then to the projector, plus, I get to clear out some of the rats nest by getting rid of several TOS cables.
Here are my ?

Will running everything in 720p work with the 806? Sounds like there are some issues with video pass through, but, I don't really understand what they all mean.

How is the phono input? I still spin quite a bit of vinyl and my current pre-amp is not so great.
post #190 of 1841 Old 12-26-2008, 09:06 PM

So far so good, All hooked up and running. Audyssey was spot on. (saw a tip about setting the sub volume for 75db using my SPL meter before the setup)

Harmony 880 remote

Via HDMI..
PS3
Toshiba HD-A1
DirecTV HR20-700

Via Component & Optical
PS2
Wii

HDMI/DVI to my Toshiba 57hx83 Cinema Series

Ancient Fisher Fronts (About 20 years old), JBL E25 Center, JBL E20 x 4 Surrounds. JBL 250w Sub.

After several hours powered up temp is @ 47/116

Buckle up and hold my beer I wanna try somethin'
post #191 of 1841 Old 12-27-2008, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker2 View Post

Happy Holidays everyone. I picked up an Onkyo 706 a few days ago and am busy w/ reading, learning and set-up. So far so good.

I am visiting this forum/thread, because some folks in the 706 thread expressed concerns about possible overheating. Are 806 owners experiencing any difficulty with this issue? Anything that is actually causing problems or failure?

The 706 manual recommends a good 8" clearance for ventilation. Short of putting the receiver on an open shelf/stand arrangement, this will be tough to accomplish. My wife has been eyeing more furniture console options. She just doesn't think like a bachelor sometimes.. go figure

I know receivers can run quite hot. My last receiver, an NAD, ran very warm.

So, what is the 806 consensus around here?

Thanks in advance.

I doubt you'll see any differences temp wise between the 706 and 806. They have very similar specs so any differences in that regard should be minimal. I've had the 706 for about 2 weeks and have no issues with heat, but I have mine on the bottom shelf of an open rack with with about 5" clearance above, doesn't seem excessive compared to other receivers I've had.

Any analog receiver is going to need proper airflow. As far as the 8" the Onkyo manual specifies that's standard in all their manuals down to the 5 series and is pretty much standard industry wide. Pioneer specifies 10 or 12" in the manual for the 1018 and it never gets talked about with heat issues. They do that to cover their butts. Bottom line is, use common since and don't stick it in an enclosed space, if you have to put it in a less than ideal location you can usually mod the area for some extra airflow and you have inexpensive external cooling options to keep the fresh air circulating.
post #192 of 1841 Old 12-27-2008, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

^Agreed^
My 806 gets warm but never too hot to touch but ive also got it on an open air shelf with about 3-4 inches of headroom. I would recommend not putting it in an enclosed area...if I close the door to the room my reciever is in, it will heat the room up about 1-2 degrees after 30-45 minutes when im watching a movie or something (Room is 12x12 tho...not real big)

post #193 of 1841 Old 12-27-2008, 06:43 PM

I've had my 806 since the end of August and I am very pleased with the Audio side of things, the video however is giving me some issues.

I am seeing "stuttering" when feeding a 720p source over HDMI. Upconverting to 1080P seems to help this issue, but it will still occassionally stutter a couple frames.

Blue dots, yes I have them and Call of Duty: World at War has quite a bit of the particular grey shade that seems to induce this.

When upconverting 480P (component) to HDMI (regardless of output resolution) the screen will sometimes go blank entirely.

Any solutions to any of the above issues would be helpful, otherwise I am going to have to send this thing back to Onkyo or sell it on eBay.
post #194 of 1841 Old 12-27-2008, 11:46 PM

Here is my set-up;
Onkyo 806
Paradigm studio 40's atlantic tech. surrounds
Panasonic 58pz800 tv
Panasonic bd-35 blu ray player
motorola 3416 Cox cable DVR
Everything hooked up thru HDMI
Upgrading from a Denon 3801. This is my first stab at Onkyo and overall pretty underwhelmed. Its light, feels cheap, and runs entirely too hot sitting at the top of my open audio stand. The fact that it still runs warm while on standby mode passing an HDMI signal says alot. It's so cheap i feel like it could die within a year.

My biggest issues so far;
I like neo6 cinema for cable sources that aren't Dolby digital. Unless I'm missing something the Onkyo is too stupid to remember when to swap from neo6 to DD and vice-versa correct? It's a pain when i do a tuner swap on my DVR and multi-channel dsp pops on. I loved that the Denon would never let me alter DD.

2nd issue may be related to 1st...audyssey set my LFE at a +10.5db which is way too hot so I've had to tone it down to 4.5db. The problem is it never remembers my settings and defaults back to 10.5db. EVERYDAY lol

3rd blue dots from my xps m1530 laptop connected using HDMI. I'm seeing blue "sparkles" watching quicktime HD trailers. Judging from this thread, this doesn't look to be an isolated problem.

All in all, I am totally dissapointed and regret buying Onkyo.
post #195 of 1841 Old 12-28-2008, 12:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quicksilver,

Item 1, are you making your changes within listening modes menu and its not sticking?

Item 2, on my brother new system, I found that Audyssey set things to be a bit anemic sounding. Did better changing the equalizer to "none" and setting speaker levels manually with an SPL meter.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #196 of 1841 Old 12-28-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Quicksilver,

Item 1, are you making your changes within listening modes menu and its not sticking?

Item 2, on my brother new system, I found that Audyssey set things to be a bit anemic sounding. Did better changing the equalizer to "none" and setting speaker levels manually with an SPL meter.

I'm using the "listening mode" buttons on the remote. On my Denon, it had an auto-detector that would automatically switch DSPs. Example, I would turn to MTV and the Denon knew to change to neo6 cinema, but once I turned to HBO-HD it knew to swap to dolby digital. Now on the Onkyo, I just changed HGTVHD from neo6 to dolby digital. I turn to Food network HD (another dolby digital channel) and it goes back to neo6. What am I doing wrong?

As far as audyssey goes, I lost my radio shack spl meter and can't be bothered to look for it at the moment lol.
post #197 of 1841 Old 12-28-2008, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post

I'm using the "listening mode" buttons on the remote. On my Denon, it had an auto-detector that would automatically switch DSPs. Example, I would turn to MTV and the Denon knew to change to neo6 cinema, but once I turned to HBO-HD it knew to swap to dolby digital. Now on the Onkyo, I just changed HGTVHD from neo6 to dolby digital. I turn to Food network HD (another dolby digital channel) and it goes back to neo6. What am I doing wrong?

As far as audyssey goes, I lost my radio shack spl meter and can't be bothered to look for it at the moment lol.

lol re spl meter.

As to the listening modes, your Onkyo is doing exactly what its suppose to be doing. Go into the menu under speaker setup and change the default setting.

What speakers are you using?

post #198 of 1841 Old 12-28-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Here is my set-up;
Onkyo 806
Paradigm studio 40's atlantic tech. surrounds
Panasonic 58pz800 tv
Panasonic bd-35 blu ray player
motorola 3416 Cox cable DVR
Everything hooked up thru HDMI
Upgrading from a Denon 3801. This is my first stab at Onkyo and overall pretty underwhelmed. Its light, feels cheap, and runs entirely too hot sitting at the top of my open audio stand. The fact that it still runs warm while on standby mode passing an HDMI signal says alot. It's so cheap i feel like it could die within a year.

My biggest issues so far;
I like neo6 cinema for cable sources that aren't Dolby digital. Unless I'm missing something the Onkyo is too stupid to remember when to swap from neo6 to DD and vice-versa correct? It's a pain when i do a tuner swap on my DVR and multi-channel dsp pops on. I loved that the Denon would never let me alter DD.

2nd issue may be related to 1st...audyssey set my LFE at a +10.5db which is way too hot so I've had to tone it down to 4.5db. The problem is it never remembers my settings and defaults back to 10.5db. EVERYDAY lol

3rd blue dots from my xps m1530 laptop connected using HDMI. I'm seeing blue "sparkles" watching quicktime HD trailers. Judging from this thread, this doesn't look to be an isolated problem.

All in all, I am totally dissapointed and regret buying Onkyo.

Is your subwoofer level on the subwoofer at 50%?

As far for your DSP problem, the receiver won't switch from DTS to Dolby automatically. If you were using Pro Logic and switched to a Dolby digital source I think it will then automatically switch to Dolby digital. You have to set wat setting you want with each source.

I think the previous poster mentioned the same thing. I'm getting my 806 delivered tomorrow, I'm hoping everything goes smoothly.
post #199 of 1841 Old 12-29-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4805 View Post

Is your subwoofer level on the subwoofer at 50%?

As far for your DSP problem, the receiver won't switch from DTS to Dolby automatically. If you were using Pro Logic and switched to a Dolby digital source I think it will then automatically switch to Dolby digital. You have to set wat setting you want with each source.

I think the previous poster mentioned the same thing. I'm getting my 806 delivered tomorrow, I'm hoping everything goes smoothly.

My subwoofer level is infact set at 50%. Where should it be?
As far as DSP goes, I've decided I'd had enough of the Onkyo and save on the electric bill by foregoing the receiver altogether for cable viewing and just use the tv speakers.
post #200 of 1841 Old 12-30-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:

My subwoofer level is infact set at 50%. Where should it be?
As far as DSP goes, I've decided I'd had enough of the Onkyo and save on the electric bill by foregoing the receiver altogether for cable viewing and just use the tv speakers.

I gotta agree that the subwoofer auto set up with audyssey is not perfect. At 50% volume it set my sub to -15 and distance of 17 feet. I sit 8ft from the sub. I readjusted it myself and everything is fine now. You need to change the Sub level in the setup menu and not the quick audio menu if you want the changes to stay.

The listening modes works for me also. As long as you have Dolby Digital set for Dolby Digital it should always switch to that when the source channel sends Dolby Digital.

Why don't you use an optical cable from the Cable box/DVR to the 806 for cable viewing and only switch it on when you really want surround sound? I have two TV viewing modes on my Harmony remote: TV Receiver and Watch TV.
post #201 of 1841 Old 12-30-2008, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

HDMI is just as good as optical under these circumstances...better if he were talking about codecs such as TrueHD or DTS-MA, HDMI is the only connection type that can transfer those signals in bitstream.

Question though....your able to get the video signal to pass through the reciever and to the tv with the reciever on standby...how? When I shut my reciever off, I get nothing on screen.

post #202 of 1841 Old 12-30-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCGrunt0307 View Post

HDMI is just as good as optical under these circumstances...better if he were talking about codecs such as TrueHD or DTS-MA, HDMI is the only connection type that can transfer those signals in bitstream.

Question though....your able to get the video signal to pass through the reciever and to the tv with the reciever on standby...how? When I shut my reciever off, I get nothing on screen.

I do not need the 806 to process the video from my DVR so it is connected straight to the TV. The DVR is then connected through digital coax to the receiver. The DVR outputs audio through HDMI and digital coax at the same time. (I'm not sure if all DVR's do this). When I want to use the receiver with the DVR I just mute the TV.

I was a bit worried at first about buying this receiver but, as of one full day of use I have no problems yet. I am only doing minor level adjustments but all seems well.
post #203 of 1841 Old 12-30-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4805 View Post

I do not need the 806 to process the video from my DVR so it is connected straight to the TV. The DVR is then connected through digital coax to the receiver. The DVR outputs audio through HDMI and digital coax at the same time. (I'm not sure if all DVR's do this). When I want to use the receiver with the DVR I just mute the TV.

I was a bit worried at first about buying this receiver but, as of one full day of use I have no problems yet. I am only doing minor level adjustments but all seems well.

Happy with mine too, Minor tweaks can take a long time from past experience, My sub has been overly active so I'm currently tweaking that down a bit.

This is a tremendous upgrade from the Sony DG800 it replaced, even my 15 y.o. daughter keeps raving about how much more detail comes through compared to the old setup.

Buckle up and hold my beer I wanna try somethin'
post #204 of 1841 Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is there a huge difference between the 806 and the 706? I was looking at both of these receivers and currently there's only a $60 difference between the two models. To me that seems like a very minimal difference so why would you choose the 706 over the 806? The 806 does have 5 HDMI inputs I believe so maybe that is why.

I was originally looking at the 606 but due to the lack of pre-outs I feel more comfortable stepping up to a different model.

Thoughts appreciated.
post #205 of 1841 Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 PM

Hi all, I finally moved from my trusty HK 325. Which was has been a very very good receiver to me. I was a little hesitant on the move to onkyo, but the 806 had all the bells and whistels at the right Price. I purchased from ecost of friday, got it on Tuesday. I purchased refurbed, but this receiver looks brand new. Ran Audyssey, perfect reading, even the crossover and full range fronts were spot on. Impressive.

Now for the comparison. For movies, The Onkyo is even with my old HK. Both have great separation, and power is even(although the hk is rates at 55 vs 130 for onkyo)
The increased surround clarity i experienced with onkyo i attribute to the ability of onkyo to except LPCM signals from my ps3 that i haven't been able to hear before.

Music. Its a mixed bag. My HK still natural vocals and silky smooth highs. But the onkyo's sound stage is huge. I've never heard the sound stage so open and airy as with this onkyo. Truley impressive. I'll call this one a draw.

Video. I ran all my Components(all HDMI) Thourough the receiver. At first all was well, no degrading at all, then i noticed, blue dots in dark scenes. Then I rewatchted part of both Batmans and it was unbearable. Looked as though the picture was silhouetted in blue dots. I was ready to box this thing back up. But i read the post on the dots and the fix of turning immediate display off and sure enough it worked flawlessly.

I dont regret my purchase, i get to enjoy all the latest codecs, and get to be lazy now with audyssey. And dont lose much at all when it comes to upgrading from my HK. I hand on to this one for a few years as well.

Components

Toshiba 57HM197 1080P DLP
PS3 80 Gig
XBOX 360 HD/DVD
Yamaha DVD S1500 SACD/DVD AUDIO PLAYER.
Scientific Atlanta 8300HDV HD PVR
Monster Cable Power Center 3500
Infinity Beta 40's Fronts
Infinity Beta C630
Infinty Beta 20's Rear.
post #206 of 1841 Old 12-30-2008, 09:25 PM

Hey Guys. Definitely your stereotypical newbie here. Just wondering if it is normal for someone to post when there is another deal to be had on the 806's. I missed the deal at the beginning of December, and would like to pick one up for around the same price, if possible. I Have ordered the Klipsch Quintet SL speakers, a 50" 720p Panasonic Plasma, and will be ordering a 12" Klipsch sub-12 receiver. After spending over 20 hours combing this forum, and although I'd like the NR906 -- It seems like the SR806 is a good system to start out on for a guy that is "tech savvy" but has never owned a component theatre system. That, and the 906 is $800-$1,000 more than the 806....

Thanks in advance.

-Lee
post #207 of 1841 Old 12-30-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePounds View Post

Hey Guys. Definitely your stereotypical newbie here. Just wondering if it is normal for someone to post when there is another deal to be had on the 806's. I missed the deal at the beginning of December, and would like to pick one up for around the same price, if possible. I Have ordered the Klipsch Quintet SL speakers, a 50" 720p Panasonic Plasma, and will be ordering a 12" Klipsch sub-12 receiver. After spending over 20 hours combing this forum, and although I'd like the NR906 -- It seems like the SR806 is a good system to start out on for a guy that is "tech savvy" but has never owned a component theatre system. That, and the 906 is $800-$1,000 more than the 806....

Thanks in advance.

-Lee

Awwww Heck. I spend hours upon hours researching amps, thinking I know what I want to get, and then wind up wondering for the 30th time whether I should get an 806 vs. an 876 vs. whatever. I must spend about weeks worth of wondering/researching/agonizing/pricing/etc. something before I buy it. I'm sure there are a few people like that on this forum......took me 3 weeks to decide on Onkyo vs. anything else.
post #208 of 1841 Old 12-31-2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobula View Post

Is there a huge difference between the 806 and the 706? I was looking at both of these receivers and currently there's only a $60 difference between the two models. To me that seems like a very minimal difference so why would you choose the 706 over the 806? The 806 does have 5 HDMI inputs I believe so maybe that is why.

I was originally looking at the 606 but due to the lack of pre-outs I feel more comfortable stepping up to a different model.

Thoughts appreciated.

Another difference is the 806 does upconverting through the component out and the 706 does not. i also like the door on the 806 that hides the other buttons.
post #209 of 1841 Old 12-31-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I gotta agree that the subwoofer auto set up with audyssey is not perfect. At 50% volume it set my sub to -15 and distance of 17 feet. I sit 8ft from the sub. I readjusted it myself and everything is fine now. You need to change the Sub level in the setup menu and not the quick audio menu if you want the changes to stay.

Juggy - your sub volume is WAY too high if Audyssey has to do a -15 on it to correct for it. May have something to do with your mic placement as well. Make sure you check out the FAQ from the Audyssey thread. Your mic should be on a tripod or stand and not resting on the back of a couch or on a flat surface. Then run Audyssey for one position and see what it sets the sub. If it corrects negative, like it did yours, turn the sub down and rerun Audyssey the first time again until you get the sub correction +/- 3db. Your sub distance may not be ruler accurate because Audyssey can add or subtract to the distance to make it blend correctly.

Audyssey did an AWESOME job on my SVS 20-39 PCi and it's set about 1/4 volume. It hits hard in movies and blends perfectly with the mains.
post #210 of 1841 Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 View Post

Juggy - your sub volume is WAY too high if Audyssey has to do a -15 on it to correct for it. May have something to do with your mic placement as well. Make sure you check out the FAQ from the Audyssey thread. Your mic should be on a tripod or stand and not resting on the back of a couch or on a flat surface. Then run Audyssey for one position and see what it sets the sub. If it corrects negative, like it did yours, turn the sub down and rerun Audyssey the first time again until you get the sub correction +/- 3db. Your sub distance may not be ruler accurate because Audyssey can add or subtract to the distance to make it blend correctly.

Audyssey did an AWESOME job on my SVS 20-39 PCi and it's set about 1/4 volume. It hits hard in movies and blends perfectly with the mains.

Yeah I had the mic at ear level but I didn't use a tripod. That may be my problem. All of the levels on the reciever were set really low however. My rears set were at -8 and my center and fronts were set between -6 and -5. My listening area I'm only 8 ft from everything so that may be why my levels are set so low.

I will retry the autosetup this weekend if I can get the wife and kid to leave. She doesn't understand the whole concept of autosetup and being quiet.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page