Question about HTR-5790 and PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-06-2008, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all, I don't know much about all these receivers. I bought this Yamaha HTR-5790 about 3-4 yrs ago when HDMI and HDTV weren't all that common. I have a simple 5.1 set up.

Over the weekend, I bought LN52a650 and a PS3. My problem is with PS3 audio output to the receiver. Since I don't have HDMI in my receiver, I connect the HDMI out from PS3 to the TV and the digital audio out to the receiver. My intention is to mute the TV speakers (which suck) and use my receiver for audio. But, even though the receiver tells me that it is getting PCM input, I donot hear any thing from the speakers. I did a similar thing with my HD cable receiver. Connected the HDMI out to TV and digital audio out to receiver and instantly I get the 5.1 blaring in my room.

So I am assuming that the audio output from PS3 is in a format which receiver does not understand? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-07-2008, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK I figured this out and it was as usual user error. And I am noting this here if some one else faces this problem. In PS3, by dafault your audio out is set to HDMI, which makes sense. But to get output on the diigtal out, you have to enable it in your audio settings.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page