post #2971 of 3106 Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester aldrid View Post

Is there anything special I would need to do to hook up a Rega P1 turntable to the 9.9?

It depends a lot on what type of cartridge you intend to use with the turntable.

If you are using a MM cartridge, no nothing special is needed, it would pretty much be plug and play.

But if you are using a very low output MC cartridge, then no, you would also need something to boost up the output level of the cartridge. Although there are some high output MC cartridges available, that can be used without needing something else to boost up their output level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3106 Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
john how would i boost the out put? My wife bought this turntable for me but it did not say what kind of cartridge it had or any real directions for the unit.

chester
post #2973 of 3106 Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If it has a MM cartridge, which I'm kind of thinking it does, you will not want to boost the output. If your wife bought it for you, then I would guess that she probably did not get you something that came with a MC cartridge. And if so, just plug your turntables RCA cables right into the phono inputs on the 9.9. Only if it has a low output MC cartridge, (which I'm thinking it probably don't) then you would need a MC step up transformer.

What's the brand and model number of the turntable? Might be able to figure out what cartridge you have just from that info, because there is a chance that it was sold as a preconfigured/combined setup.

For some info on the differences between MM and MC cartridges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_cartridge
post #2974 of 3106 Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester aldrid View Post

Is there anything special I would need to do to hook up a Rega P1 turntable to the 9.9?

chester

No. Just use the phono input. The P1 comes with a MM cartridge and the processor is ready for that. If you get finicky about it, you may want to get a better phono pre-amp. The one in the processor is serviceable but sort of thin sounding. But it will work 100% with your nice new table.

post #2975 of 3106 Old 09-22-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadhammer View Post

I'm using an ATI 4850 with the DVI to HDMI dongle to output DVD-A, (ripped to 5.1 .flac), but for some reason all audio is displayed as MCH PCM 5.1 - fs: 192kHz on the Integra, even when it's 48kHz 5.1, or even just straight stereo 44.1kHz.

Anyone have similar issues? I'm using the latest ATI video drivers + HDMI audio drivers(10.6). Cheers.

In the Windows control panel sound area, check the properties of the HDMI Audio out, and make sure they match what you are trying to output...

Also check things like the "Exclusive" vs "Shared" settings - if the drivers are shared then windows chooses the rate and does resampling to adjust (!).
If it is "exclusive" then in theory your software player can (if written right!) reset the rate on the fly.

Best thing to do to check is manually set the rate in there to the same as your audio file and see what the unit reports as being received... it should be received as MCH PCM - but the rate should be whatever you set.

The Joys of Software.... (not as much fun as the other books in the Joys series)
post #2976 of 3106 Old 09-22-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

It depends a lot on what type of cartridge you intend to use with the turntable.

If you are using a MM cartridge, no nothing special is needed, it would pretty much be plug and play.

But if you are using a very low output MC cartridge, then no, you would also need something to boost up the output level of the cartridge. Although there are some high output MC cartridges available, that can be used without needing something else to boost up their output level

I have a Benz Micro high output MC and it works fine. (plug and play!) - although it is a little quiet.

Just make sure you pick a cartridge that works well with your arm type (check whether you need high or low compliance).

In terms of selecting cartridge:
1) Moving Magnet (MM)- Plug and play, range from cheap and nasty to very very good - lowest price bracket and easy changeable styli
2) Moving Iron (MI)- same requirements as MM - so plug and play - bottom of these tend to be much better than bottom range MM, top range are competitive with the best of the MC's
3) Moving Coil (MC) - because they have so little mass moving they are very sensitive and resolving beast - as a result of which they have very low voltages, which require additional amplification - which in turn can introduce colouration and distortion. - Lots of excellent and EXPENSIVE high end stuff in this category
4) Moving Coil (MC) High Output. - Still a moving coil, but by using more coils/metal length in the system they achieve higher output and are therefore Plug and Play just like the MM's and MI's (although their output is a little lower so they will sound somewhat quieter) - due to additional moving mass as a result they are theoretically slightly less resolving than Low Output Moving Coils. - On the other hand they don't require and additional amp stage, with its associated drawbacks - so what you lose on the swings you may gain on the roundabouts. - Price range is similar to other MC's as is the Quality range.

Good luck with your choice.... you might also want to look at:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/daveyw/cartridges/
post #2977 of 3106 Old 09-22-2010, 01:23 AM

Has anyone out there done a direct comparison of one of the top end Onkyo / Integra AVR/Propro's vs a good to top standalone stereo DAC?

How good are the Onkyo/Integra's when working as "Pure Audio" DAC/Pre's?

(I have a TX-SR876 but am posting in the related AVR threads as well)

Thanks
post #2978 of 3106 Old 09-22-2010, 01:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaloum View Post

I have a Benz Micro high output MC and it works fine. (plug and play!) - although it is a little quiet.

Yes, but there is a big difference between a low output MC and a high output MC. In that the the high output MC usually are also designed to be, and can be used on a otherwise MM only input. Try to do that with a low output MC without also using step up transformer would be a waste of time, and pretty much also a waste of what is quite likely a rather expensive cartridge.
post #2979 of 3106 Old 09-22-2010, 02:02 AM

That's why I stressed that it was High Output (and then gave a brief list of the different types)

Mind you there are also the Medium Output types.... just to confuse and bewilder!
post #2980 of 3106 Old 09-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Hi folks,

I just picked up a 9.9 from a dealer-friend - really like it so far.

Question about the display while watching/listening to HD-audio codecs.

Will the front panel display of the 9.9 indicate "Dolby TrueHD" or "DTS Master" when it is decoding that audio?

I have a PS3 sending PCM via bitstream to the 9.9, and was expecting to see "TrueHD" while viewing the newest Star Trek video on BR.

Oddly, the 9.9 only showed DD or DD-EX on the display, even though I went into the disc menu and selected TrueHD.

Am I doing something wrong - should the 9.9 show "TrueHD" on the display when it decodes the hd-audio?

Thanks for your help - I look forward to getting this resolved....

Best,

Stieger

We Make Home Theater A Reality
post #2981 of 3106 Old 09-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

subscribed...

post #2982 of 3106 Old 09-24-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If you have the older PS3, it won't bitstream advanced audio; it decodes and sends PCM. If you have a newer PS3 "slim", then you should be able to bitstream TrueHD and DTS-MA and the display on the 9.9 should say so.

Welcome to the thread!

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #2983 of 3106 Old 09-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

seriously? I have the 40gig PS3 from probably 2 years ago?? I can't believe this thing wouldn't send bitstream in an unaltered state. That kills me!

Stieger

post #2984 of 3106 Old 09-24-2010, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Seriously. You can thank Sony for that.

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #2985 of 3106 Old 09-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if I should even trade-in my current PS3 for the new slim, difference seems to be lower than what I'd pay to purchase a non-PS3 BR player. Ironically, although I have a dedicated room and nice speakers, and obviously the Integra, I'm not sure I'd "hear" the difference between DD and the hd-codec "version."

Best,

Stieger

post #2986 of 3106 Old 09-24-2010, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

If you set the PS3 to output PCM you will get the full HD audio version -- just as decoded PCM and not as a bitstream.

post #2987 of 3106 Old 09-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, that's what I see occurring now that I changed the PS3 to LPCM from bitstream. It now shows TrueHD vs. what it showed earlier when using bitstream, which indicated DD.

So, I am getting the hd codec. So not sure what the big deal is, although the $$ I just spent on the Integra 9.9 was not worth the price of admission for the "processor" to decode the audio.

I wonder then, if I did get the PS3 slim, if the TrueHD from the Integra would be any "better audio" than the PS3 decoding the TrueHD..... I would assume it's exactly the same??

Best,

Stieger

post #2988 of 3106 Old 09-24-2010, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

I wonder then, if I did get the PS3 slim, if the TrueHD from the Integra would be any "better audio" than the PS3 decoding the TrueHD..... I would assume it's exactly the same??

It would be the same. Decoding lossless audio is like uncompressing a .ZIP file on your computer. It doesn't matter if you use WinZip, 7-Zip, WinRAR etc. to actually do the job... you get the same files out of it.

There may be a slight difference in volume level depending on which device does the decoding, but the actual audio is identical.
post #2989 of 3106 Old 09-26-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post

It would be the same. Decoding lossless audio is like uncompressing a .ZIP file on your computer. It doesn't matter if you use WinZip, 7-Zip, WinRAR etc. to actually do the job... you get the same files out of it.

There may be a slight difference in volume level depending on which device does the decoding, but the actual audio is identical.

Well that's what theory states anyway! - However PCM transfer over HDMI is ver jitter prone, and there is a question mark over how well the processor then handles that issue....

With TrueHD the transmission is very much like a ZIP file and not prone to Jitter - it is unpackaged within the processor and Jitter is then dependent on internal setup within the processor and not affected by transport mechanism.

However I know of no way to do a proper comparison/test to see which one is better .... other than your ears!

My own testing of my unit (a close cousin - Onkyo TX-SR876) has shown that the SPDIF PCM stream at 24/96 seems to be the best sounding - in contrast to the same stream via PCM HDMI.

Of course that is of no assistance for TrueHD - which I can only receive over HDMI. But I now keep all my 2 ch music on SPDIF as a result.
post #2990 of 3106 Old 10-11-2010, 05:49 PM

Liked: 11
Hello
I have been enjoying the dhc for almost a year now..my Mac mini is connected thru spdif to the pre amp .

When I switch to stereo I get the sub also engaged..is there any mode to disengage the sub and use the dac of dhc?(not using direct since my files are mp3 and do need a good dac of the 9.9)

Cheers
Ks

Minimac=>iTunes+AudirvanaPlus=>Peachtree x10 USB to SPDIF=> MRX 510=>Sonus faber Auditor M
post #2991 of 3106 Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaloum View Post

In the Windows control panel sound area, check the properties of the HDMI Audio out, and make sure they match what you are trying to output...

Thanks for your reply, sorry for being so late to respond. I'm using Windows XP and although in Win 7 I can see where to adjust frequencies, I can't see how to do it in XP. I can do it with my soundcard's control panel, but there's nothing in Catalyst Control Center, or 'sound & audio devices' that I can see.

Quote:

Also check things like the "Exclusive" vs "Shared" settings - if the drivers are shared then windows chooses the rate and does resampling to adjust (!).
If it is "exclusive" then in theory your software player can (if written right!) reset the rate on the fly.

Cheers, I'll make sure 'use only default devices' is checked

Quote:

Best thing to do to check is manually set the rate in there to the same as your audio file and see what the unit reports as being received... it should be received as MCH PCM - but the rate should be whatever you set.

The Joys of Software.... (not as much fun as the other books in the Joys series)

Tell me about it.
post #2992 of 3106 Old 11-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Hi fellow dhc9.9ers....

Recently encountered whilst playing the Staten Is BRay movie on my Oppo bp83 a strange phenomenon that only affected my VMPS Larger Sub.
About 20 mins into the movie, the star is perched in a tree in the midst of a thunderstorm.
You hear a loud clap of thunder and when that happens my sub sounds as though I turned it up all the way and I thought it was gonna explode. I backed up the disc and started over and ditto-it occurred again. Almost all of my other BRay discs and reg DVD's do not have that problem no matter what volume I am enjoying the movie/cable/8 track (haha)/etc on. There has been one or 2 other BRay discs that I have momentarily 'heard' the woofer screaming...but right now I cannot remember which one. (Over 50 ya know).
I have all calibrated with Audyssey. Sounds great on 99% of everything.
Any suggestions ?
post #2993 of 3106 Old 11-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

hi everone...got it Stan
post #2994 of 3106 Old 11-10-2010, 03:43 PM

alan,
got the same problem. sounds like a loud CLAP, as tho the speaker bottomed out.
stan
post #2995 of 3106 Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 AM

I am not sure where to post this(posted on wyred thread too)..Since I got my MC5(500*3,250*2),after running Audyssey my trims have been set low(-8.5db LCR)I guess that is ok since there is more power going to the speakers.The thing that baffles me is that the crossover for my fronts have been set higher to 100HZ.It used be around 70Hz when I had the sunfire amps..Monitor Audio GS20's go lower than 70Hz..The crossovers for the Center and surrounds are being set at 60HZ

Can the crossover be influenced by providing 500watts of power instead of 225W before?

Regards
Vidya
I use a DHC9.9 as pre-amp.

Minimac=>iTunes+AudirvanaPlus=>Peachtree x10 USB to SPDIF=> MRX 510=>Sonus faber Auditor M
post #2996 of 3106 Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidya46 View Post

Can the crossover be influenced by providing 500watts of power instead of 225W before?

Hard to imagine a scenario where that is likely. Much more likely is a change in measurement position or speaker position or both influenced the measurements since the room's influence on the sound is a big factor.

post #2997 of 3106 Old 11-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidya46

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Hard to imagine a scenario where that is likely. Much more likely is a change in measurement position or speaker position or both influenced the measurements since the room's influence on the sound is a big factor.

I will re-run audyssey tonight..This might be a DUH moment>:::I recently purchased a subdude for my svs sb12 and ran audyssey again..could that affect my measurements?
The subdude stops the vibrations from reaching the floor and decouples the sub from the floor...

post #2998 of 3106 Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 PM

I have read that some have had freezing issues. Mine occasionally freezes when I switch between inputs. The previous screen will remain while the audio and everything else switches over. Has anyone been able to fix this? or sent there unit in? I also have version 1.05 (it was also doing it before the firmware upgrade) because eventually I'd like to get a Pro install but would sending it in affect the firmware update? I can accept the fact that it's an HDMI thing, I'm just wondering if anybody has a fix for it or if there even is one, Thanks.
post #2999 of 3106 Old 12-08-2010, 02:16 AM

It's the HDMI board - time to send it in I hate to say....

Mine has already been in once for HDMI replacement, and the problem has started happening again..... so I am due for another trip to the service centre (not too bad as it is only a 30min drive....)
post #3000 of 3106 Old 12-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1nels View Post

I have read that some have had freezing issues. Mine occasionally freezes when I switch between inputs. The previous screen will remain while the audio and everything else switches over. Has anyone been able to fix this? or sent there unit in? I also have version 1.05 (it was also doing it before the firmware upgrade) because eventually I'd like to get a Pro install but would sending it in affect the firmware update? I can accept the fact that it's an HDMI thing, I'm just wondering if anybody has a fix for it or if there even is one, Thanks.

You may want to see my post on this issue with the Onkyo PR-SC886 (Onkyo version of the 9.9):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=886

The SC886 and 9.9 are electronically the same unit. I was able to verify that by doing a binary compare of the 1.05 firmware files, one copy supplied by Onkyo for the SC886 and one from the AVSForum for the 9.9, they are identical. As per my post I continue to use 1.03 which will occasionally lose the volume display, entering and exiting setup recovers the volume display. I do not know if 1.03 will support Audessy Pro. As the kit and license cost about $700 I am going to put the money toward a newer pre/pro.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page