The "Official" Denon Feature Pack Upgrade Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For anyone that has done the upgrade, IS it worth it????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG33 View Post

UPDATE: something really weird happened - which is hard to reproduce:

I programmed the SAT settings to reflect the component / coax (audio) settings I was using and managed to get both video and audio. When I then reprogrammed the TV/CBL to reflect these same settings (which it did before !), normality was restored....

According to Denon: To assign HDMI inputs for TV, HDMI control must be set to OFF in the setup menu of your unit.

illegitimi non carborundum
post #363 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

No, you must run the Audyssey setup to get the Dynamic EQ and Volume controls.

Thanks ... ken
post #364 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&MRick View Post

Just wanted to let everyone know that an addendum to the owners manual, to cover the new functions, has been posted to the usa.denon.com website on the respective 3808CI and 4308CI product pages.

Two suggestions:

1) Place this important manual update in the Owners Club for each of these AVRs;
2) Place the upgrade information in the Support Menu>Update/Upgrade Menu item.

These are the locations that those of us with these AVRs are to look for these documents.

Thanks,
bwclark
post #365 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeborgdot View Post

For me I can say that there is some frustration along with the upgrade. Does it work--AB-SO-BLUMEN-LUTELY. But when I was accustomed to running reference levels about -17, it is now about -12 to -10. BUT that could be just me because, since I last did the Audyssey setup I changed my sub to the VTF3 MK3 HO Turbo.

How does it sound? As others have stated with DEQ the bass can be a little "flabby" at higher listening levels. But, if you need to listen at "lower" levels, it fills in nicely. There is now no "thinness" at lower levels.

As far as DV is concerned, I have it only on my FiosTV input, and have only listened to a couple of different channels. It appears to keep everything level. So if you are going to watch a movie with a lot of dynamic range, you would want to turn it off.

Another thing that I learned-- I figured out (all by myself) that the way to tell if DV is on is that on the 3808 display the Audyssey Dynamic EQ light will have a BOX around it. If DV is OFF then there is NO box. DV is never on alone is always requires DEQ.

There is much more to learn and tweak--and since I have XM the Sirius is meaningless, I have a Monster universal remote control so the HDMI is not used, and I am not into paying for Rhapsody--but I knew that going in. Therefore I paid $100 for these 2 features, but I am happy & think that it will get better as we learn better how to utilize these features. Hope that helps.

Classico
post #366 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 11:49 AM

I got it working last night and ran Audyssey; sub is a bit boomy for some reason. will fine tune tonight hopefully. Thanks for calling me today Rick; I appreciate the follow up.
post #367 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I had similar experiences with the bass initially a bit boomy (partly because of ambient noise outside...had to run it twice to get it right). Looks like DEQ is enabled by default, and I find it too much for CD and Multi-Channel audio listening. It also seems to increase the overall volume, which accounts for the difference in reference levels that you're used to.

I'm hoping that it's more useful for tv viewing, which is what I'm hoping to use it for most (in combination with DV). However, for music I find it a bit too much like a "Loudness" button, which artificially inflates certain frequency ranges.

Brad
post #368 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 12:24 PM

Well, my update stop on Ether WP 03min and it says updating failed.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Nevermine, just had to turn it of and on and it resume the upgrade.

Just want to say thanks to Rick from Denon for all the help!
post #369 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, finally got this downloaded, ran Audyssey and was able to fool around with it last night and today. DV works great with both SAT TV and DVD (keeps volume close in level). DEQ worked well also, there was more detail to the sound and also to the surrounds and the sub was more lively.
There was a big difference in the settings between Audyssey before and after the update. The sound levels dropped drastically with DEQ. Before the setting were in the +'s but with DEQ, my fronts were set at -2.5, center at -3.5, rears were R/-5.0 L/-4.5 and the sub was set at -4.0. Fronts were set at large and cross overs were set at 40hz. At this point the only changes I have made were to the cross overs (changed to 60hz). This made an improvement in the sound because it toned down the surrounds and cleaned up the sub.
I'm wondering if I should raise the sound levels,so I don't have to raise the volume higher to compensate or should I just leave it alone? I think I will have to ask this on the Audyssey forum.
I think it was worth the $100 IMO and if it matters I have two pairs Monitor Audio GS10's with the matching center with a Epik Caliber sub.
post #370 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 03:15 PM
GMC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
D&MRick,

Will the RS232 command set be updated to reflect the changes applied with the new feature pack?

Greg
post #371 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 04:03 PM

To your point #1 I have one work "VISTA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley View Post

1. If we get to the point that QA is so bad that everyone expects the first version of everything to be a disaster, then we're in for some very bad times.

2. That being said, minor glitches have come to be expected. But you're forgetting that most of us are human beings and have very different natures. Why do people wait in line when a blockbuster movie comes out? They could wait a few weeks and avoid the lines. Why do people wait in line to get new hardware (PS3, iPhone, etc)? Why do some wait for the initial problems to be ironed out? It's human nature and we're all different.

You can't expect everyone to see things as you see them. And neither approach is right or wrong. This should be very obvious to you and you should be able to answer your own question.

post #372 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 04:19 PM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzw50 View Post

I know what you mean. I wish Vista was like that new Windows Mojave they are releasing. THAT is a great system...everyone who has seen it has liked it.
post #373 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 04:21 PM

I felt the system was a bit too bassy as well, so I turned that down a bit. I also like the rears to be more pronounced, so I turned them up. Personal preference here, though.

I am SOOO happy my TV now both turns ON and turns OFF my Denon receiver. I can put away one of my remotes and I am back to only using the Windows MCE Remote for all my needs. It takes about 10 seconds to turn the Denon on, which I think is a bit long, but I will take it.

The WAF is much higher now.
post #374 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 05:18 PM

I've run into a little problem. My credit card's been charged, but for whatever reason, there was no place to provide my upgrade ID, etc. So my receiver still has no idea that I have an upgrade to go.

Now what???
post #375 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzw50 View Post

Well anything Microsoft, especially Vista, is the one exception to point #1. That's why I use a Mac.
post #376 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schtebie View Post

I've run into a little problem. My credit card's been charged, but for whatever reason, there was no place to provide my upgrade ID, etc. So my receiver still has no idea that I have an upgrade to go.

Now what???

ok a little confused, CC info comes after you input the ID. If your CC has been charged then you must have put in the ID already because you can't purchase the upgrade without the ID.
Have you tried to see if you have "new upgrades" on the receiver yet?
post #377 of 930 Old 10-03-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB View Post

ok a little confused, CC info comes after you input the ID. If your CC has been charged then you must have put in the ID already because you can't purchase the upgrade without the ID.
Have you tried to see if you have "new upgrades" on the receiver yet?

Technically not if he used the link posted earlier in this forum before the real launch. That bypassed the inputting of receiver information and took you straight to billing.
post #378 of 930 Old 10-04-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post

Technically not if he used the link posted earlier in this forum before the real launch. That bypassed the inputting of receiver information and took you straight to billing.

That's exactly what happened. I've sent an email to Denon. Hopefully they'll respond Monday morning. Thanks!
post #379 of 930 Old 10-04-2008, 03:33 AM

Could someone tell me when this upgrade will be available in the uk. The denon uk website's just allow you to register your email address for further info..
post #380 of 930 Old 10-04-2008, 06:25 AM

I phoned Denon UK last week and got a very uninterested guy in tech support saying "sometime in October". I couldn't get anymore out of him and he really didn't sound interested in passing on my "comments" to the marketing people.

As usual, UK gets it last and for the most money.

Peter Galbavy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #381 of 930 Old 10-04-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley View Post

Well anything Microsoft, especially Vista, is the one exception to point #1. That's why I use a Mac.

Oh, sorry. I did not realize that. I will type in smaller words for you from now on.

post #382 of 930 Old 10-04-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Galbavy View Post

I phoned Denon UK last week and got a very uninterested guy in tech support saying "sometime in October". I couldn't get anymore out of him and he really didn't sound interested in passing on my "comments" to the marketing people.

As usual, UK gets it last and for the most money.

Take solance in knowning that Sweden will pay more than you, if only because of their insane taxes.
post #383 of 930 Old 10-04-2008, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Hi,
Does anyone know for sure yet whether the On/Off settings for Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume are saved on a per input basis on the 3808?

In other words, will I be able to set these to be "On" only for the "TV" input or will I manually have to turn them on & off?

Thanks,

--M--
post #384 of 930 Old 10-04-2008, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

It is input specific, at least on my 3808CI.
post #385 of 930 Old 10-04-2008, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
n/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

It is input specific, at least on my 3808CI.

post #386 of 930 Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 AM

Denon's customer service is absolutely incredible. I emailed late on a Friday night and checking my email first thing this morning, I already have a response saying my upgrade is ready to go.

Upgraded and I'm quite happy with the results. I've watched some ESPN and have yet to try watching a movie I'm familiar with. Will report back.
post #387 of 930 Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeborgdot View Post

post #388 of 930 Old 10-04-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeb View Post

yes

Right now for me, its a big NO. I was really looking forward to DEQ/DV, but both have fallen short of my expectations.

When using DV on TV shows I have to turn up the volume a good 6dB or more just to restore normal listening volume. Normally everything I watch is -10dB, but it's -3dB with the DV day setting. Plus it seems to over compress the dynamics during a normal TV show, even talk shows. I was expecting DV to only kick in during very loud blasts during commercials.

I've turned DEQ on and off, and quite frankly, can't hear much any difference. This is with playing Blu-Rays at -10dB. I did quick A/B tests during a few program scenes and if there was any difference, it was quite small.

Yes, I fully re-calibrated my system after the firmware upgrade using all eight positions in the AVS "oval" around the primary position. The room is cozy, at 10x12 with lots of acoustical treatments.

I'll play with it more, but so far I'd say its a bust. Thankfully because of the web site problems they never charged my credit card.
post #389 of 930 Old 10-04-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post

I've turned DEQ on and off, and quite frankly, can't hear much any difference. This is with playing Blu-Rays at -10dB. I did quick A/B tests during a few program scenes and if there was any difference, it was quite small.

If you're listening at close to reference levels, Dynamic EQ isn't going to do much, if anything. Its purpose is to adjust the relative amplitudes of the frequencies when you are below reference levels, and the lower the volume, the more adjustments it makes. Did you try listening at -15 or -20 with DEQ on and off?
post #390 of 930 Old 10-04-2008, 01:08 PM

I just began downloading the upgrade when my power went off for a few minutes Now when I try to turn the unit on, all I get is the red standby light.

I tried a hard reset, but no luck

Suggestions?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page