Amplifier debacle -onkyo 805 vs 806 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 10-09-2008, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What was the end result? Did you get your $$ back? Did you get a new 906? Or did you let them repair it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 10-12-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
One of the biggest differences between the 805 and 806 is the weight. The 805 weighs around 51lbs. The 806 weighs 37.5lbs. That's almost 14lbs. which is astronomical!

The transformer in the previous generation 805 was toroidal, while the one in the 806 is not. There may or may not be a real world difference in the two, but note the new 876 continues to weigh around 51lbs.

It seams to be Onkyo is trying to save a few dollars on the 806, while separating the 876 and 906 from the pack.

Is it possible the 805 is that "needle in the haystack" and "best kept secret" in audio, and gone the way of the dinosaur in the sub $600 price range?

A man meets a genie. The genie tells him he can ask for whatever he wants, but his mother-in-law gets double of what he gets. The man says give me a million dollars and beat me till I'm half dead.
post #33 of 37 Old 10-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyefan View Post

The transformer in the previous generation 805 was toroidal, while the one in the 806 is not. There may or may not be a real world difference in the two, but note the new 876 continues to weigh around 51lbs.

The 805 does not have a toroidal transfomer. See here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-2.html

Toroidal are supposed to be better, but you can make a perfectly fine component without them.
post #34 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

mak,
Well in france the customer is always wrong... so after some talks with the dealer and onkyo... they are repairing it. Apparently the dealer had some 905's break and onkyo told him he had to test them before they went out the door. Normally that would be with the customer and kind of show them how to set up etc. since I was not there I just got the tested model and bing surprise. I told the dealer that I was not cool with his surprise testing and he should have asked/told me - he had nothing to say to that. He was not willing to give me a refund (small claims court in france = 3 years of time and money lost), had no other 905 to give, would not take a loss and give me a 906, and already had arranged for a fast repair. So it is sent in should be back this week, in theory, though I doubt it. I asked them to check the firmware and software also.
I will post again if there are any questions and when I get my amp back, install, configure and test it. I can also post my home theater pics

thanks for all the feedback... what a great forum.
post #35 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

putain de merde, il fait shi**, le con!

post #36 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post

I have also found from some serious listening and reading, the THX qualification really mean nothing. All it means is that the company paid the money to have THX take a look at it so they can justify a higher price. Most decent receievers could easily get THX certification if they paid to have thier receiver looked at.

If they all could, why don't they?
What's the certification process?
Do you know, or are you assuming it's a gimmick because you read that somewhere else?
Have you taken the courses before to understand what they do exactly?

Anyway, go with the 806.
post #37 of 37 Old 10-16-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

This just in....
So it turned out that the defect was a factory one, so Onkyo is replacing the 905 with a brand new 905. Groovy. ca alors...
It should be here monday.

as per the thread that never was here...
I think that you should get the 806 unless you get a good deal on the 805. Why? well without listening I would say that you would be hard pressed to get another 805 if the 805 broke.

That being said, when offered a refund (to which I refused since I had a great deal on my 905 for europe) - I asked for another 905... which was according to them impossible. But when the dealer and I got on them and demanded a new 906 .... well suddenly they found one. :P

alls well that ends well... lets see if this does.

Olias
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page