1Likes

post #3361 of 5107 Old 12-13-2009, 04:08 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Curious, I'm getting a new set of speakers (Paradigm Sig S2's v2) and if I wanted to a/b them against my current speakers (Mirage OM9s), can I hook up one pair via the Zone 2 and the other as they are and flip back and forth?

Edit: I.e., will this work, say using analog CD inputs and Pureaudio mode) or will some processing be applied to the mains which wouldnt' be to the Zone 2s that I need to factor in to the consideration? I'll also need to adjust the volume so that the db's are the same given the speakers I'm sure have different efficiency ratings.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 5107 Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Curious, I'm getting a new set of speakers (Paradigm Sig S2's v2) and if I wanted to a/b them against my current speakers (Mirage OM9s), can I hook up one pair via the Zone 2 and the other as they are and flip back and forth?

Edit: I.e., will this work, say using analog CD inputs and Pureaudio mode) or will some processing be applied to the mains which wouldnt' be to the Zone 2s that I need to factor in to the consideration? I'll also need to adjust the volume so that the db's are the same given the speakers I'm sure have different efficiency ratings.

Funny you ask this- I was wondering the same thing after noticing the A/B feature is only on the 906 (which is really lame... my ancient Onkyo 484?? 5.1 receiver did A/B).

Anyways, I think the answer should be yes as long as you run Zone1 in stereo.
post #3363 of 5107 Old 12-18-2009, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been following many of the threads on this forum trying to decide which AV Receiver to purchase. Finally made the call, based on many of the comments from users here, to purchase the Onkyo TX-SR876. Just finished hooking it up and I couldn't be happier!

The information posted here was very helpful in my final decision. I'm sure I'll have questions, and when I do, I know where to post them.
post #3364 of 5107 Old 12-18-2009, 06:07 AM

Liked: 11
Long time owner here of the 876 (well for me). I jumped to the 3007 and after a quick torrid love affair WISH I HAD MY 876 BACK. The 3007 is really nice but the "clicking" on the audio side has gotten unbearable to me and I have it behind a cabinet pretty far away from me. My 876 never had this. So, a word to those not wanting to mess with the newer height or width speakers...stay with the 876!
sigh...
Chris
post #3365 of 5107 Old 12-18-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0093 View Post

I've been following many of the threads on this forum trying to decide which AV Receiver to purchase. Finally made the call, based on many of the comments from users here, to purchase the Onkyo TX-SR876. Just finished hooking it up and I couldn't be happier!

The information posted here was very helpful in my final decision. I'm sure I'll have questions, and when I do, I know where to post them.

I pretty much have done the same thing. I was very nervous, this is my first home theater setup, I had not bought any equipment for about 25 years, was still listening to my Carver Receiver and Polk 7 speakers. It looked like the Onyko 876 was going to be hard to setup and there were issues with the software in some of the receivers. I have not had the time to get everything hooked up the way I want to yet, but the sound is better than anything I have heard in and shop. I am using the Polk 7's for the front with some cheap Theater Research speakers, in the rear, I bought at a auction for $70. The sub is not working,but I am not sure how it hooks up, so that will be my next purchase, but the Polk's do pretty well. I have no problems with heat, it does get warm but not hot.. I have the upconverting set to 1080i, my Sony Plasma is a 1080i and it has really inproved my non HD channels.Thanks for all the info on this thread.
Dennis
post #3366 of 5107 Old 12-18-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

Long time owner here of the 876 (well for me). I jumped to the 3007 and after a quick torrid love affair WISH I HAD MY 876 BACK. The 3007 is really nice but the "clicking" on the audio side has gotten unbearable to me and I have it behind a cabinet pretty far away from me. My 876 never had this. So, a word to those not wanting to mess with the newer height or width speakers...stay with the 876!
sigh...
Chris

Well Chris, you big knucklehead that's what you get for selling that 876 before using the 3007 for a while. I tried selling it for you in several threads and don't know if it helped or not. Now what? Maybe there will be a firmware upgrade to fix that little problem, if not you can sell it and go back to the 876. Good prices on 'em at tigerdirect(especially the beautiful silver one). If not I'll sell you mine for $1500. That what it would take to replace it with one of equal value at this time.
post #3367 of 5107 Old 12-18-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

sigh...
Chris

Hey, Chris...

Not familiar with the 3007, but the 876 will do the same thing if you are not careful in selecting your listening mode presets... for instance, you need to make sure for your regular TV watching that, for that input, all the listening modes you select for the various input formats you might find on different channels/programs/commercials (PCM 2.0, DD2.0, DD5.1, etc) all default to a mode that has the same number of speaker channels active.

You may have thought that through, and it may not be your issue, but I wanted to mention it just in case.

Joe

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #3368 of 5107 Old 12-18-2009, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Hey Chris...

Not familiar with the 3007, but the 876 will do the same thing if you are not careful in selecting your listening mode presets... for instance, you need to make sure for your regular TV watching that, for that input, all the listening modes you select for the various input formats you mind find on different channels/programs/commercials (PCM 2.0, DD2.0, DD5.1, etc) all default to a mode that has the same number of speaker channels active.

You may have thought that through, and it may not be your issue, but I wanted to mention it just in case.

I also went to the 3007 from the 876 and I don't experience any relay clicks when I don't expect them.
Channel surfing from a channel with 2.0 audio (with PLIIx Movie) to a channel with 5.1 audio (THX Ultra2 Cinema) does not cause any click for me.
But going back, from 5.1 to 2.0 causes two relay clicks.
Maybe it the North American version is causing more clicks than the European?
post #3369 of 5107 Old 12-18-2009, 10:59 AM

#1 - and the more annoying of the 2 - From time to time I hear a soft crackling noise coming from just one of my speakers. it's more annoying than anything, and only audible when the sound is fairly low. I've tried swapping cables and speakers to no avail. I called Onkyo but they said there's not an Onkyo support dealer anywhere near me and I'd have to ship the unit to New York or Denver for it to be fixed - which scares me since I no longer have the original box (my fault). I upgraded the firmware a while back to 1.05 but never upgraded the DSP - not even sure what the DSP does (sorry) or if it would possibly help my issue.

#2 - when switching between inputs - specifically using my directv HD receiver (HD20) i believe - the screen will sometimes freeze up. I can switch inputs but when returning to Directv the screen is still locked. At that point i have to restart the receiver. Any thoughts?

Beyond that thanks to everyone in this forum as the 876 is a wonderful receiver, just would like to work out these two bugs and call it "perfect."
post #3370 of 5107 Old 12-18-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 510
If #1 is associated with just that one particular speaker output from the receiver, than I fear it's a problem internal to the receiver.

The DSP is the Digital Signal Processor -- it's the engine that applies the various sound processing features to the audio -- sound equalization in your room and decompressing the various digital DD and DTS audio formats, for example. I doubt that updating its code would make any difference to this problem.

#2 is most likely a problem in the HDMI/HDCP protocol -- the language that the devices use to send status and command packets to one another. In principle, it should be fixable by updating firmware in all of the devices -- in your DirectTV box, in the receiver and in your TV. A bug in any of them can affect all of them since HDMI/HDCP is a bi-directional protocol.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3371 of 5107 Old 12-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

sigh...
Chris

Not that I could afford the 3007, but that issue was one thing that kept me from seriously considering the 1007, and confirmed my decision to go with the 876.

Mine arrived yesterday, I haven't even opened it yet.
post #3372 of 5107 Old 12-19-2009, 04:22 AM

Thanks for the posts guys and I am really trying to get to the bottom of the clicking but it really has a lot to do with the source I have determined. While watching a recorded episode of FRINGE, the dam thing will click EVERY time we cut to a commercial, then to another commercial, then to another commercial, until we get back to the show. During the recorded show all is fine.
NOW, while watching a recorded episode of CSI: Miami, No clicks the entire hour at all. I can't comment on channel surfing as I gave that up longggggg ago and only watch stuff from a dvr or disc, well also hard drive now for my Dune 3.0. It really has to do with the source material, I am 99% sure but it sure as hell is annoying. I am still working on it but I NEVER had this issue with my beloved 876.
Best,
Chris
post #3373 of 5107 Old 12-19-2009, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekbud View Post

#1 - and the more annoying of the 2 - From time to time I hear a soft crackling noise coming from just one of my speakers. it's more annoying than anything, and only audible when the sound is fairly low. I've tried swapping cables and speakers to no avail. I called Onkyo but they said there's not an Onkyo support dealer anywhere near me and I'd have to ship the unit to New York or Denver for it to be fixed - which scares me since I no longer have the original box (my fault). I upgraded the firmware a while back to 1.05 but never upgraded the DSP - not even sure what the DSP does (sorry) or if it would possibly help my issue.

#2 - when switching between inputs - specifically using my directv HD receiver (HD20) i believe - the screen will sometimes freeze up. I can switch inputs but when returning to Directv the screen is still locked. At that point i have to restart the receiver. Any thoughts?

Beyond that thanks to everyone in this forum as the 876 is a wonderful receiver, just would like to work out these two bugs and call it "perfect."

You can almost assuredly blame this on the Direct TV HD box. They can't keep up with the different versions of HDMI. Have you tried connecting the cable box by component cables and optical and out by HDMI? If not try that to determine if it is indeed the Direct HD box and not the 876. Handshake issues with ALL cable boxes with different brands of AVR's are not uncommon. This site and others are full of these problems. Most of the time component and optical connections cures. You will not notice a difference in the picture or sound. It will however in most cases stop what you are experiencing. Good luck and hope it works for you.
post #3374 of 5107 Old 12-19-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the posts guys and I am really trying to get to the bottom of the clicking but it really has a lot to do with the source I have determined. While watching a recorded episode of FRINGE, the dam thing will click EVERY time we cut to a commercial, then to another commercial, then to another commercial, until we get back to the show. During the recorded show all is fine.
NOW, while watching a recorded episode of CSI: Miami, No clicks the entire hour at all. I can't comment on channel surfing as I gave that up longggggg ago and only watch stuff from a dvr or disc, well also hard drive now for my Dune 3.0. It really has to do with the source material, I am 99% sure but it sure as hell is annoying. I am still working on it but I NEVER had this issue with my beloved 876.
Best,
Chris

You can still get a 876 at tigerdirect for an excellent price. Newer is not always better. Maybe there will be an update to cure this problem. Sometimes though as you know its very hard for a manufacturer to admit that there is a problem to begin with.
post #3375 of 5107 Old 12-19-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

You can still get a 876 at tigerdirect for an excellent price. Newer is not always better. Maybe there will be an update to cure this problem. Sometimes though as you know its very hard for a manufacturer to admit that there is a problem to begin with.

Yeah, I was leaning towards trying a Denon, but am scared about losing my REON. It really cleans up my DirecTV and cable. Decision decisions...
post #3376 of 5107 Old 12-19-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I was leaning towards trying a Denon, but am scared about losing my REON. It really cleans up my DirecTV and cable. Decision decisions...

You can that Denon as long as its one with the ABT 2010 processor. I believe that the same one that the DVDO Edge uses. Of course you can always go for a lower end Denon and get the DVDO Edge and it will work as its supposed to. You know that sometimes its not the chip in the AVR's problem, its the way its implemented. The DVDO Edge of course does just what its supposed to do. That Denon 2310 and Edge should do the trick. Don't know what your budget is but that Denon 4308CI on sale at Onecall is a beast and the DVDO edge added to that would seem to make one heck of a system. Then of course there's always going back to the 876 and be done with it, for far less money. Have you contacted Onkyo about the 3007's problem? Maybe they have a fix in the works and then you'll be set to go for nothing else.
post #3377 of 5107 Old 12-19-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Chris, look at this below. Add the DVDO edge and you could have the best of both worlds for around 1K.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbcla...do=ad&id=12241
post #3378 of 5107 Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Hey, Chris...

Not familiar with the 3007, but the 876 will do the same thing if you are not careful in selecting your listening mode presets... for instance, you need to make sure for your regular TV watching that, for that input, all the listening modes you select for the various input formats you might find on different channels/programs/commercials (PCM 2.0, DD2.0, DD5.1, etc) all default to a mode that has the same number of speaker channels active.

Joe

I get this with my Onkyo 906 as well, using Broadcast "free" HD signals for TV viewing, the codec the AVR selects for most channels is Dolby, and I get 5.1 audio, but when "SOME" commercials come on, some are NOT Dolby and then the AVR switches to the listening mode I have selected which is PLIIx Movie. Not sure what you mean by finding a listening mode that matches speaker channels, but the audio codec source is what causes the "clicking" here as I can see the AVR's LCD screen and when the clicking occurs it shows the listening mode change every time.
post #3379 of 5107 Old 12-19-2009, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

I get this with my Onkyo 906 as well, using Broadcast "free" HD signals for TV viewing, the codec the AVR selects for most channels is Dolby, and I get 5.1 audio, but when "SOME" commercials come on, some are NOT Dolby and then the AVR switches to the listening mode I have selected which is PLIIx Movie. Not sure what you mean by finding a listening mode that matches speaker channels, but the audio codec source is what causes the "clicking" here as I can see the AVR's LCD screen and when the clicking occurs it shows the listening mode change every time.

I will only get the clicking if I have, for instance, set the default listening mode for PCM and/or DF 2 CH to Stereo, while Dolby Digital is set to Dolby Digital. If it's set that way, when it goes to a 2 ch commercial, the relays will click. However, if its set for PLII for the 2ch sources, then when there's a cut to a 2.0 commercial, it synthesizes the missing channels and no clicks at all. The relays are on the speaker outs... if the same number of speakers are called for, regardless of how they are derived, then I get no clicks.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #3380 of 5107 Old 12-20-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed View Post

Has anyone experienced the failure of one amplifier channel on the 876? I’ve had mine since April of this year, and last week the left surround amp went dead. I verified that the problem was the amp and not a speaker by swapping speakers (easy since I have everything hooked up with banana plugs), and the surround left output is completely dead. There isn’t even the faint hiss that can be heard on the working channels with an ear close to a speaker.

At Onkyo’s instruction, I took the unit to a local repair facility in Pittsburgh this past Monday. I was just wondering if anyone experienced a similar problem, and if so how long it took to get the repair completed. Other than the dead output, everything has been working just fine.

Thanks,

Shed

Same exact thing happened to mine. It was the surround left as well. Very strange, I am still waiting on the repair.
post #3381 of 5107 Old 12-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

I will only get the clicking if I have, for instance, set the default listening mode for PCM and/or DF 2 CH to Stereo, while Dolby Digital is set to Dolby Digital. If it's set that way, when it goes to a 2 ch commercial, the relays will click. However, if its set for PLII for the 2ch sources, then when there's a cut to a 2.0 commercial, it synthesizes the missing channels and no clicks at all. The relays are on the speaker outs... if the same number of speakers are called for, regardless of how they are derived, then I get no clicks.

Good info, my own problems here are Broadcast HD signals themselves, being weak. So I have "compounded" problems with the signal fading and jumping around. What's odd, is my monitor has a signal strength meter, and I have a Radio Shack HD antenna, that rotates internally. When I get the audio "hits", the signal does not show a jump either plus or minus. Disregard my own issues if you have a cable of Fios connection, as your signal should almost always be the same and not effect this "clicking" issue, just thought I'd mention it for those grabbing the HD airwaves.
post #3382 of 5107 Old 12-22-2009, 09:25 AM

http://emotiva.com/et3.shtm + Ungrounded Extension/Expansion Cord (like 4$ at lowes for a 3ft) + 110v AC to 12v DC Power Supply with 4 Pin Molex(They have more powerful ones if you need them) + http://emotiva.com/xpa3.shtm + quiet computer fan of your choice, works reeeaaaallly nicely
post #3383 of 5107 Old 12-22-2009, 07:38 PM

I have used my 876 for several weeks with no problems. Now, whenever I try to turn up the volume a bit, not really that loud, the 876 shuts down and the standby light blinks.

Any suggestions?
post #3384 of 5107 Old 12-22-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg010 View Post

I have used my 876 for several weeks with no problems. Now, whenever I try to turn up the volume a bit, not really that loud, the 876 shuts down and the standby light blinks.

Any suggestions?

Never mind, the very tightly fitting banana plugs to my center channel had become detached and they were actually shorting on each other behind the center channel.

Why I could actually not tell that my center channel was not playing is beyond me. Now that it is plugged back in it was easy to tell something was missing.

Please note that the protection circuitry function on the AVR worked exactly as it should and saved me from a potentially costly user error.
post #3385 of 5107 Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

You can that Denon as long as its one with the ABT 2010 processor. I believe that the same one that the DVDO Edge uses. Of course you can always go for a lower end Denon and get the DVDO Edge and it will work as its supposed to. You know that sometimes its not the chip in the AVR's problem, its the way its implemented. The DVDO Edge of course does just what its supposed to do. That Denon 2310 and Edge should do the trick. Don't know what your budget is but that Denon 4308CI on sale at Onecall is a beast and the DVDO edge added to that would seem to make one heck of a system. Then of course there's always going back to the 876 and be done with it, for far less money. Have you contacted Onkyo about the 3007's problem? Maybe they have a fix in the works and then you'll be set to go for nothing else.

I was a betea tester for the edge for quite awhile and when it worked, it worked well! BUT, it had issues as well. I found the REON in the 876 to be the equal for my viewing. The Faroudja, not so much...
I don't know what the heck to do know!
Thanks for the ideas guys!
Chris
post #3386 of 5107 Old 12-23-2009, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Scratch that - apparently if you have the HDMI board removed it takes away a lot of the audio as well =]
post #3387 of 5107 Old 12-23-2009, 07:55 PM

I've been trying to configure my 876 for zone 2 powered operation and am currently stuck with a fixed, very low volume in the zone 2 speakers. The reciever is set for zone 2 "act" with "variable" selected and signal being fed from CD player through analog outputs and speakers fed by zone 2 assignable jacks. What am I missing?
post #3388 of 5107 Old 12-24-2009, 02:27 PM

Hey guys this is my first post. I have read thru page 92 and have copied and pasted to word pad all of the great info here. I got the 876 2 weeks ago from Tiger Direct to replace My TX DS 797 and have been pleased for the most part. I do have a couple of issues though.

1. Sometimes when I switch between my Scientific Atlanta CBL/DVR and my PS3 I will lose the video. Sometimes it freezes and sometimes it goes black. If I put the reciever on standby and turn it back on the problem is fixed.

2. Also When listening to FM radio on some channels the signal will disappear and reappear. Usually there will be a loss of 1 second or so.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I hope I didnt miss these questions during my reading. Oh I have firmware 1.05.

Thanks Monroe
post #3389 of 5107 Old 12-24-2009, 06:09 PM

is there a HDMI update for the 876 to alleviate the slow as mollasses source switching?
post #3390 of 5107 Old 12-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonroeBobo View Post

Hey guys this is my first post. I have read thru page 92 and have copied and pasted to word pad all of the great info here. I got the 876 2 weeks ago from Tiger Direct to replace My TX DS 797 and have been pleased for the most part. I do have a couple of issues though.

1. Sometimes when I switch between my Scientific Atlanta CBL/DVR and my PS3 I will lose the video. Sometimes it freezes and sometimes it goes black. If I put the reciever on standby and turn it back on the problem is fixed.

2. Also When listening to FM radio on some channels the signal will disappear and reappear. Usually there will be a loss of 1 second or so.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I hope I didnt miss these questions during my reading. Oh I have firmware 1.05.

Thanks Monroe

1. Possibly an HDMI handshake issue ?

2. Appears to be a problem with the 876. Discussed earlier in this thread. Here is a similar report in the 906 thread.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page