Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5067 Old 02-14-2014, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

My 876 is not sending audio to the left front channel. I have swapped out speakers and cables, and done a factory reset... still no sound on left channel.
Any ideas on what would cause this issue?

Sorry if this has been covered before, but a search didn't yield any relevant results.

Thanks for the assistance.
post #5043 of 5067 Old 03-09-2014, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Here's a Youtube video on repairing a Onkyo 606 HDMI board. Excellent video on how to repair the board and the techniques to use. Repairs to a 876 will be somewhat different, especially the number and location of the capacitors compared to a 606 HDMI board. But, shows how easy it is to make the repair.
post #5044 of 5067 Old 03-22-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahulec View Post

Were you able to fix your problem? Our power went out last night, and when power came back on, the sound no longer worked. I get the same uninformative DSP1st ?????? ?????? in Debug mode.

Krahulec, I have the same issue after a power outage. My 876 has no audio and it displays DSP1st ?????? ??????. Did you managed reinstall the DSP firmware? Have you been able to find a solution?

post #5045 of 5067 Old 03-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I purchased my 876 second hand, and noticed that the HDMI switching is much slower than on my 607 -- can some of those who bought it new comment on whether this is normal or is it due to capacitor deterioration on the HDMI board? I replaced all the 100uf caps but of course the others could be bad as well.
post #5046 of 5067 Old 03-30-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 67

I can say that my 876 has never been fast, an HDMI handshake takes up to 8 seconds.

post #5047 of 5067 Old 03-30-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post

I can say that my 876 has never been fast, an HDMI handshake takes up to 8 seconds.

Mine is about the same.
post #5048 of 5067 Old 03-31-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys, no need for me to fiddle with it then! A minor annoyance but one that I can live with.
post #5049 of 5067 Old 04-07-2014, 03:33 PM

Dear all,

I have an Onkyo 876. All of a sudden lost all connectivity to HDMI ports while I still have OSD visualized on the TV .

There are no "clicks" from the relay, while I switch between the different ports and "No signal" is displayed.

The 100mf capacitors were exchanged as described. Unfortunately this brought no results.

What may I try next? There is no official Onkyo support in my area.

Thanks for your help in advance.

post #5050 of 5067 Old 04-28-2014, 05:58 AM

Anyone able to help with this?

Quote:

Hi new user and need help if possible?

My HDMI board of my 876 has been acting oddly takes ages to sync video and occasionally I get sparklies then the output goes to just a noisy grey screen so I have to switch inputs or turn amp off and on.

Anyhow I decided to change the caps to see if that would work and in my haste I've managed to lift the tags from the board with the old cap so now have nowhere to solder to (yes I feel a complete fool) is there anywhere I could solder another one to or make a repair or have I just broken it?

The cap taken off is on input 1, it still works but there is video noise on the picture.

Hopefully

post #5051 of 5067 Old 04-28-2014, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

You can probably just scrape the top of the trace past where you lifted it and solder to that. A pic would help greatly with the assessment.
post #5052 of 5067 Old 04-28-2014, 08:50 AM

Thanks for replying, will get a photo up when I get home.

Here's a picture of my stupidity 

and now I'm at work with a good magnifying lens and the zoomed in picture I've fixed it.

post #5053 of 5067 Old 04-29-2014, 06:11 PM

I have an Onkyo 876 that I bought a few years ago. This summer I am moving from the US to Europe. Will the Onkyo work over there if I use an adapter for the plug? How about the speakers? If the Onkyo will not work overseas, would the speakers work with a european AV receiver?
post #5054 of 5067 Old 04-30-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorhouse View Post

I have an Onkyo 876 that I bought a few years ago. This summer I am moving from the US to Europe. Will the Onkyo work over there if I use an adapter for the plug? How about the speakers? If the Onkyo will not work overseas, would the speakers work with a european AV receiver?

IIRC the amps are not multi voltage so yours will be 110v only.

I'm based in Europe but work world wide and carry one of these with me which would work for you http://salestores.com/powerb41.html#.U2DVZeZdVUs as would this http://salestores.com/powerb33.html#.U2DV5OZdVUs only thing I don't know if it would work would be the HD radio tuner.

Speakers will be fine with a European amp

post #5055 of 5067 Old 05-01-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeevers View Post

IIRC the amps are not multi voltage so yours will be 110v only.
I'm based in Europe but work world wide and carry one of these with me which would work for you http://salestores.com/powerb41.html#.U2DVZeZdVUs as would this http://salestores.com/powerb33.html#.U2DV5OZdVUs only thing I don't know if it would work would be the HD radio tuner.
Speakers will be fine with a European amp

Thank you for the response. Looking at the links you provided, they appear to only have one 110V output. Would I be able to plug a standard US pronged, six plug power strip into it and connect more than one device to the transformer?

In a perfect world, I would plug in the following...

1. Onkyo 876
2. Samsung 40" LCD
3. Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player
4. Infinity 10" sub

Obviously, I would need to confirm the combined wattage is less than the wattage provided by the transformer.

Thanks for the advice.
post #5056 of 5067 Old 05-02-2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorhouse View Post

Thank you for the response. Looking at the links you provided, they appear to only have one 110V output. Would I be able to plug a standard US pronged, six plug power strip into it and connect more than one device to the transformer?

In a perfect world, I would plug in the following...

1. Onkyo 876
2. Samsung 40" LCD
3. Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player
4. Infinity 10" sub

Obviously, I would need to confirm the combined wattage is less than the wattage provided by the transformer.

Thanks for the advice.

You could and as you pointed out you would have to look at the combined wattage, I use the one in the first link which has a little grub screw for bringing the voltage up if needed.

You would need to check that your TV is multi region too in that after a factory reset it will tune to the frequencies of the european country your going to but I would advise to get a european model as it will work over all of europe if you move around plus they'll generally play NTSC material.

post #5057 of 5067 Old 06-09-2014, 09:18 AM

My 876's front left channel is not working. Anyone manage to repair it themselves? Wondering how hard it is. I'm fairly proficient at soldering. Just need to know what/how to fix. Thanks.
post #5058 of 5067 Old 06-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

I apologize in bringing up an old thread, but looking for some information for my Onkyo TX-SR876 that has been rocking since 2008 when I purchased it 'Open Box' from Newegg.com...

#1 . What is the latest firmwares for the TX-SR876 and would anyone be able to point me to them? I believe it's 1.07 and since I haven't updated it since I received the unit back in 2008, also looking through the thread it looks like I need to update to at least 1.04/1.05 before updating to 1.07.

#2 . There has been no firmware update that allows HDMI 1.4 (3D) to work through the HDMI switcher. Correct?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Kermee

Cheers, Kermee
post #5059 of 5067 Old 06-29-2014, 08:41 AM
dea

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Here's a Youtube video on repairing a Onkyo 606 HDMI board. Excellent video on how to repair the board and the techniques to use. Repairs to a 876 will be somewhat different, especially the number and location of the capacitors compared to a 606 HDMI board. But, shows how easy it is to make the repair.
Thanks for that link, I replaced all of my 876's 100uf caps with 105C rated 100F10V ones and it works flawlessly again. No longer waiting for hours to be able to get image through HDMI, it is instant as it should be.
post #5060 of 5067 Old 06-29-2014, 10:41 AM

Glad it helped. I'm lucky..., my 876 is continues to work as designed. But, I'll probably need repair it one day.
post #5061 of 5067 Old 07-04-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've had an Onkyo 876 for a few years and now I'm looking into buying a projector. I intend to connect it to the HDMI-SUB output of the Onkyo.

Is there a discrete command for switching HDMI outputs with a single button press? Currently the only way I know to switch outputs is to go through the menus with several button presses, and having to power on the TV first so I can navigate the menus.
post #5062 of 5067 Old 07-04-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi4ever View Post
I've had an Onkyo 876 for a few years and now I'm looking into buying a projector. I intend to connect it to the HDMI-SUB output of the Onkyo.

Is there a discrete command for switching HDMI outputs with a single button press? Currently the only way I know to switch outputs is to go through the menus with several button presses, and having to power on the TV first so I can navigate the menus.
Absolutely... along with dozens of other discrete commands not available with the OE remote. I attached the Onkyo spreadsheet with the discrete Pronto hex codes at the bottom of the post you can find here:

Onkyo PR-SC886P Pre/Pro Official thread

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #5063 of 5067 Old 07-05-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
Absolutely... along with dozens of other discrete commands not available with the OE remote. I attached the Onkyo spreadsheet with the discrete Pronto hex codes at the bottom of the post you can find here:

Onkyo PR-SC886P Pre/Pro Official thread
From that thread, it appears that you got the Harmony folks to include those codes in their database, including the HDMI Out switching. Is that correct?

I don't have a Harmony remote, but was planning on buying one now that my old remote by URC is frustratingly flaky. If they really have a discrete HDMI Out selection in their database for the Onkyo 876 and it is available to the under-$100 Harmony remotes, problem solved.

Last edited by hdmi4ever; 07-05-2014 at 08:22 PM.
post #5064 of 5067 Old 07-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi4ever View Post
From that thread, it appears that you got the Harmony folks to include those codes in their database, including the HDMI Out switching. Is that correct?

I don't have a Harmony remote, but was planning on buying one now that my old remote by URC is frustratingly flaky. If they really have a discrete HDMI Out selection in their database for the Onkyo 876 and it is available to the under-$100 Harmony remotes, problem solved.
Careful -- URC remotes are much more powerful, so be sure the Harmony provides the functionality that you currently have.
post #5065 of 5067 Old 07-06-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
Careful -- URC remotes are much more powerful, so be sure the Harmony provides the functionality that you currently have.
I have all the remotes for my devices, and those remotes have all the important functions I want (except HDMI Out switching which isn't on the Onkyo remote), so as long as the Harmony can learn from existing remotes I should be fine as far as existing functionality is concerned.

It looks like the Harmony 650 has learning capability, and it's under $100, so it's at the top of my list right now.

Last edited by hdmi4ever; 07-06-2014 at 10:41 AM.
post #5066 of 5067 Old 07-17-2014, 01:55 PM

Liked: 0
Hi All,

My 5 year old TX-SR 876 has been acting up. It doesn't seem to be exactly like the HDMI problems I've been reading, although it probably is the caps on the HDMI board. On occasion, the sound goes out. This is usually while watching TV, but that's because it's usually in that setting. At times hitting all the selections (tuner, DVD, Aux, etc.) will fix it. Sometimes just shutting it down and powering back up will do it. Not having HDMI handshake problems (long delays), just the usual few seconds to connect.
This weekend the sound was off and I couldn't get it to work. This was the longest stretch ever with no sound. I took the cover off just to see what everyone was talking about, but so no bulging caps at all on the HDMI board. I blew out the dust while I was at it. I also did a reset to no avail except make more work for myself.
Last night it all came on again and was fine for several late night viewing hours. Same this morning. I have left it on now for over 6 hours and it's still playing!

Yesterday I call Onkyo and they are saying it's not a known issue and suggested either I send it to the regional authorized repair center in Lincoln Park, NJ. (I live in NYC). All Tech is the repair center and they quoted $75 for the estimate (applied to repair if I choose to). It'll cost about $35 to ship UPS ground as this is about a 55 lbs unit. That's not including the box and packing material that I'll have to pay the UPS store to do. I don't own a car in NYC so I'd have to rent a car if I wanted to send it in person. They also told me that an HDMI board is about $500 for this receiver! If it's caps, it would of course be less.

The other option Onkyo offered is trading it in for a refurbished one.
Here are the prices for the refurb with trade in:

TX-NR 626 - $270
TX-NR 929 - $600

There's also the TX-NR 1010 and TX-NR 3030, at around $$900 and $1400; but I'm not sure exactly as I scribbled it down.
I would have to of course still ship my old unit to them at my cost. The units would have a warranty of either 1 or 2 years.

I haven't researched any receivers in 5 years and really don't want to spend too much time on it at this time.
I paid just under $1000 for the TX-SR 876 five years ago and don't know if the technology has gotten cheaper, or if the two units mentioned first would be a downgrade.

I also looked at the Sony STR-DN840 which Costco has for $369.99 with free shipping, although this unit doesn't have phono jacks.

What would you do? Your expert advice would be appreciated!

Fab
post #5067 of 5067 Old 07-17-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I would seriously consider another brand over Onkyo... Every generation of Onkyo has been having some sort of widespread issue of one sort or another... Bad HDMI boards, bad IDE connectors, bad display boards... Buying another Onkyo would be a gamble right now. It appears Onkyo has been pushing newer models packed with features but sacrificing reliability.

Another issue is that Onkyo is no longer using Audyssey (sic?) to calibrate the surround sound channels. They are using their own calibration system to avoid paying royalties to Audyssey. To be fair, they are not the only ones; Pioneer uses MCACC, Yamaha uses YPAO, Sony uses their own unnamed one. I think only Denon and Marantz are the only big sellers that are still using Audyssey.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page