AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Hey everyone, sorry to quote an old post but I too have an issue with my TX-SR876 producing very low volume. Currently in stereo mode as I'm in a new house and haven't run 7.1 yet. Just front towers and a sub. The chap I quoted simply reset his as it was a 2nd hand unit whereas mine is brand new out of box (sat in storage for 4-5 years )

When I play with db settings, the tone out of my JBL Studio 10 towers is very loud and my subwoofer literally shakes my house. However, when I watch tv or listen to music on my cable box I can literally crank it all the way to +4 and it doesn't produce anything like my Harman Kardon did. I couldn't hear lyrics over my wife's vaccuuming a couple of rooms away Is +4 the max volume, or is that where my problem lies?

I'm sure there is something I can do since this is quite a complex unit. I did use the Audyssey mic to set it up, can tell the receiver and my speakers are able to produce a lot of sound, and have checked my blu ray HDMI input and the output is also quiet.

Any help would be appreciated!
Some settings to check:

1. IntelliVolume - For your sources (each individual one): Page 110 in your manual.
2. Volume Setup (Volume Display - Muting Level - Maximum Volume): Page 115 in your manual.
3. Adjusting Speaker Levels: Page 71 from your manual.
4. Using the Late Night Function: Page 109 (manual).
(5) Rerun Audyssey.

* You couldn't hear lyrics...wife's vacuuming? --> An audio cable may be picking up interference.
Try re-positioning your cables.

Good luck & Bienvenu @ AVS Forum.
punkwax likes this.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NorthSky; 07-25-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5072 of 5097 Old 07-26-2014, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for the reply.

Did all of those and while it helped a little, there is still no way I'm hearing what this receiver is capable of. As previously mentioned, my receiver maxes out at +4 and the manual says it should reach +18 - that said, I don't think the extra 14 is going to make a big difference..

There has to be something else I'm missing?? I wanna crank it up!
post #5073 of 5097 Old 07-26-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Rerun Audyssey. ...That's why your Relative Volume (Master Level) maxes out @ +4.0 dB instead of +18.0dB.

Audyssey right now in your 876 is most likely set to counter-balance the amount of +EQ it has done (in your previous place?).
You have to follow the Audyssey settings: proper mic positioning, subwoofer(s) level, etc. ...Many important rules to follow in order to get the best sound performance.

* When I had my 876 my max volume was about +11.0dB, but I was never going over +3.0dB in normal listening.

Anyway check that, and if you have more to share that you forgot, it would help.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #5074 of 5097 Old 07-27-2014, 07:45 AM

Ok, I will run again for the 3rd time later today. I was following proper direction the other two times except for using a tripod as I dont have one. Just used a box to get proper height.

Not forgetting anything else, I opened the box for the first time the other day after sitting in storage so no prior settings to deal with.

Thanks again.
post #5075 of 5097 Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There is a setting in your receiver for limiting the max volume. Perhaps it is set to +4?
post #5076 of 5097 Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Ok, I will run again for the 3rd time later today. I was following proper direction the other two times except for using a tripod as I dont have one. Just used a box to get proper height.

Not forgetting anything else, I opened the box for the first time the other day after sitting in storage so no prior settings to deal with.

Thanks again.
You should never put the mike on a box... The flat surface of the box will affect the acoustic Audyssey response big time in a bad way...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #5077 of 5097 Old 07-28-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again.
That's a problem for sure right there. Putting the mic on top of a box is not the proper way.
At the very least use a camera tripod, and a microphone stand is the very best for top measurement performance.
* A mic stand (with a boom); you can get for $15-25 only. ...Get one, it's worth it.

<<>> I am quite sure that using that box to put your mic on is your main issue. Please, correct that.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

Last edited by NorthSky; 07-28-2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: On (not 'in') - typo
post #5078 of 5097 Old 07-29-2014, 08:23 PM

Thanks all - I will invest in a tripod and update the thread.

Appreciate the feedback!
post #5079 of 5097 Old 08-13-2014, 06:08 PM

Took a while (busy summer) but finally got the tripod and ran Audyssey again... it helped a little, volume can go to +11 but still not getting anywhere near the performance I would expect when cranked.

Read through NorthSky's response quickly the first time and didn't notice a mic boom is best. Will return the camera tripod and try that I suppose. Going to call Onkyo support first. My Harman Kardon is sitting in the garage.. don't want to give up on the Onkyo but this is getting a little silly!
post #5080 of 5097 Old 08-13-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't expect it to go above +11.0dB, it is perfectly normal. That's what pro EQ does. ..."Relative" volume.
Turn the Audyssey off and you're back to +18.0dB without any EQuing.
Check it out, but without the music playing, or when muting (full muting).

And yes, a mic stand with a boom, and the mic two or three inches above ear level is good for the soul of the music.

* The maximum reference master volume level (control) depends of your speaker's sensitivity, the music or movie medium/recording playing, the size of your room (total cubic space), the source playing, and all that jazz.

But as a good general rule, it is somewhere between minus 4dB and plus 4dB. ...Safe area too.
...Some stuff it could be a little more, but proceed with extreme caution.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #5081 of 5097 Old 08-15-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aharami View Post
My 876's front left channel is not working. Anyone manage to repair it themselves? Wondering how hard it is. I'm fairly proficient at soldering. Just need to know what/how to fix. Thanks.
any thoughts on this? is this fixable?
post #5082 of 5097 Old 08-19-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm a six year owner of the 876 and it has run flawlessly until today. I was watching TV (though my xbox) when a loud pop rang out. The receiver turned off and the red (I believe it is the stand by) light started to blink. I was able to turn the receiver on and it is still able to pass through a video signal through all inputs, however there is no audio.

Any ideas?

Thanks
post #5083 of 5097 Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 140
A loud pop commonly means a capacitor blew. Any smoke or smell? If it's just a cap it should be repairable by a reputable electronics service center. It'll cost you plenty though, might be time to consider upgrading?
post #5084 of 5097 Old 08-20-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the response! There was a Strange ozone type smell. I am definitely thinking of upgrading, prob to a x4000 or 929. The funny thing is that I bought the 876 right before the 1.4 hdmi spec and now I'm probably going to buy my next one before the 2.0 (2.2) upgrade.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
A loud pop commonly means a capacitor blew. Any smoke or smell? If it's just a cap it should be repairable by a reputable electronics service center. It'll cost you plenty though, might be time to consider upgrading?
post #5085 of 5097 Old 08-20-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I just did a factory reset with no joy. The strange thing is I can get a little but of audio out of the headphones, although I can't control it with the volume controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 View Post
Thanks for the response! There was a Strange ozone type smell. I am definitely thinking of upgrading, prob to a x4000 or 929. The funny thing is that I bought the 876 right before the 1.4 hdmi spec and now I'm probably going to buy my next one before the 2.0 (2.2) upgrade.....
post #5086 of 5097 Old 08-20-2014, 03:18 PM

One other thing, you might want to check the fuses, I think there's at least 5 of them. You'll have to take off the hood(9 screws, then pull the hood back 1/4 inch before lifting) and check the various boards. If you have some kind of meter, use the continuity test to see if there is an open on the fuse, some may be the solid type.
post #5087 of 5097 Old 08-28-2014, 06:39 PM

I bought the receiver in 2009 and had a problem with it and was sent another. Since then it has been working fine. My remote started working funny like it was low on battery. I opened it and noticed one of the batteries had leaked. I tried to clean it and replaced them but the remote would not work right. Some buttons worked some did not. I tried to do factory reset of the receiver and remote but that didnt help. I guess the remote is no good so I did a search for a replacement and found nothing.

I searched all over and was shocked to find the RC-690M remote is not available anywhere.

Does anyone have any help here?
post #5088 of 5097 Old 08-28-2014, 07:39 PM

Yep, buy one of those all-in-one remotes, Harmony makes some. Or maybe you could buy an Onkyo remote on ebay.
post #5089 of 5097 Old 08-29-2014, 07:00 AM

Well I didn't want an all in one as i want to be able to use all the features. As for ebay i looked and searched the web and had no luck finding that model remote. I am so bummed as I spent a good amount of money on this.
post #5090 of 5097 Old 08-29-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone73 View Post
Well I didn't want an all in one as i want to be able to use all the features.
Actually, having a programmable remote would give you access to the ~100 commands the receiver is capable of responding to that the OE remote does not support. These would include Audyssey, DSP modes, ISF, output switching, tuning and other commands that the OE remote doesn't support. I'd be lost if I had to use the OE remote.

If you're interested in seeing what those available commands are, you can look at the Onkyo spreadsheet I posted HERE a while back.

Commercial AV Design Engineer,

TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #5091 of 5097 Old 08-29-2014, 09:29 AM

Thanks jcalabria for the reply and as you probably can tell I have never owned a programmable remote. I didn't know they can to all the commands as the oe let alone more. After doing some research I think I am going to replace this perfectly working receiver with a Denon-x3100. I like the added features this has that mine does not and i really like the eco standby power usage. I had no idea how much my onkyo was taking up in standby.
post #5092 of 5097 Old 08-29-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Thanks jcalabria for the reply and as you probably can tell I have never owned a programmable remote. I didn't know they can to all the commands as the oe let alone more. After doing some research I think I am going to replace this perfectly working receiver with a Denon-x3100. I like the added features this has that mine does not and i really like the eco standby power usage. I had no idea how much my onkyo was taking up in standby.
Denons also support a wealth of commands not available on their OE remote. I believe you will find posts by member Batpig regarding this topic in the Denon world.

Commercial AV Design Engineer,

TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #5093 of 5097 Old 08-29-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Bit of advice, do NOT use alkaline or carbon-zinc batteries on expensive remotes. If they leak, you are screwed. I always use Eveready Lithium-Ion batteries for almost everything. They cost a lot more (~$6-9 for 4-AA or 4-AAAs) but they also last a lot longer. Some Li batteries will last you 9x longer than alkaline. Plus the benefit is that they don't leak.

The only issue you may encounter is the low voltage. They are only 1.2 volts vs 1.5 for regular batteries. So if your device uses 4 cells, you only get 4.8 volts iso 6 volts, which may be too weak for the device. So far, I have not encountered that problem but you never can tell....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #5094 of 5097 Old 08-29-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another dying TX-SR876

After almost 5 years, my 876 seems dying. 2 years ago i noticed there was no "Onkyo" logo anymore at startup, and HDMI handshaking increased from 3 seconds to 8 to 10 seconds.
Completely unaware of the HDMI heat board problems, I kept running the 876, even with a DuneHD player on top of it, handshaking sometimes takes like 15 seconds, but i could still live with that.
Recently, i went on a 3 week holiday, and like always, i disconnect the power of every electrical device in my house. I reconnected my AV setup, and the HDMI handshaking of my 876 is taking forever now. Waited 2 minutes, still no sound or picture.

So, i guess it's time to replace all the caps right ?

However tho, is there somewhere a 'shopping' list of the cap's i need to order ?
I checked most of the 170 pages on this topic, but found none.

I've found similar lists for the 606, but as i understand the 876 have more cap's to replace. And since i need to order them online, having a list of required components and their specifications would make things a lot easier

Anyone still have their old shopping list somewhere ?
post #5095 of 5097 Old 08-29-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
I bought the receiver in 2009 and had a problem with it and was sent another. Since then it has been working fine. My remote started working funny like it was low on battery. I opened it and noticed one of the batteries had leaked. I tried to clean it and replaced them but the remote would not work right. Some buttons worked some did not. I tried to do factory reset of the receiver and remote but that didnt help. I guess the remote is no good so I did a search for a replacement and found nothing.

I searched all over and was shocked to find the RC-690M remote is not available anywhere.

Does anyone have any help here?
I bought one on ebay a couple of months back for $20.00

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #5096 of 5097 Old 08-29-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Well I didn't want an all in one as i want to be able to use all the features. As for ebay i looked and searched the web and had no luck finding that model remote. I am so bummed as I spent a good amount of money on this.
$29.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-remote...item19f2cfe7d7

brand new
for the 805,875,876

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #5097 of 5097 Old 08-29-2014, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madshark View Post
After almost 5 years, my 876 seems dying. 2 years ago i noticed there was no "Onkyo" logo anymore at startup, and HDMI handshaking increased from 3 seconds to 8 to 10 seconds.
Completely unaware of the HDMI heat board problems, I kept running the 876, even with a DuneHD player on top of it, handshaking sometimes takes like 15 seconds, but i could still live with that.
Recently, i went on a 3 week holiday, and like always, i disconnect the power of every electrical device in my house. I reconnected my AV setup, and the HDMI handshaking of my 876 is taking forever now. Waited 2 minutes, still no sound or picture.

So, i guess it's time to replace all the caps right ?

However tho, is there somewhere a 'shopping' list of the cap's i need to order ?
I checked most of the 170 pages on this topic, but found none.

I've found similar lists for the 606, but as i understand the 876 have more cap's to replace. And since i need to order them online, having a list of required components and their specifications would make things a lot easier

Anyone still have their old shopping list somewhere ?
Before attempting repairs, check and see if your 876 can be repaired via Onkyo's extended warranty. The warranty applies to units manufactured in 2009 forward. If like my 876, you purchased your 876 prior to 2009 and the warranty won't apply. But, can't hurt to check. Let us know whether it's covered. Here's the thread with the link:

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page