The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR876 Owners Thread - Page 171 - AVS Forum
First ... 169  170  171
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR876 Owners Thread
PashaF's Avatar PashaF 05:30 PM 10-06-2014
According to Onkyo's website (https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA), "This Serial/Unit does not need this update." WTF!? I clearly do, if my receiver is not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by PashaF View Post
I need to get my Serial # to see if I qualify for the Onkyo's Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program....

eaayoung's Avatar eaayoung 05:59 PM 10-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PashaF View Post
According to Onkyo's website (https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA), "This Serial/Unit does not need this update." WTF!? I clearly do, if my receiver is not working
I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat with my 876. I believe the availability of parts is the reason I just missed the cut-off date.

There's a thread if your interested:
Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018
jcalabria's Avatar jcalabria 10:29 AM 10-27-2014
Bittersweet weekend... I handed down my perfectly functioning 876 to my son for his new man-cave theater. His (also perfectly functioning) 806 that was scheduled to go into the theater met an untimely death when it went up in flames (quite literally) due to an errant screw placed into a wall. I know that others have not been so lucky with their 876s, and I won't pretend that Onkyo didn't have some issues with them, but my 876 has over 20,000 hours of use on it (based on the cumulative hours of the three TVs it has functioned hand-in-hand with) and it's never given me the slightest bit of trouble. I kept it cool with a dual fan Comcool set up that kept it running in the low 30°C range rather than the low 60°C range it ran at without the external fans.

I've replaced the 876 with a TX-NR1010... so far so good. Love the network audio features, the simplified HDMI cabling for 3d sources, and the MultEq XT32 and dual sub setup. I'm less impressed with the addition of height channels to my system. The 1010 also does not give me the 876's option to run my fronts in BTL mode even though my SB channels are still sitting unused. The other "downgrade" in the 1010 is the lack of a switched outlet to power the cooling fans. I can only hope for as good a reliability record as the 876 gave to me, and my even older TX-NR801 is still giving to me.
hdtv00's Avatar hdtv00 09:58 PM 11-11-2014
Mine also died years ago I still have it as the amp section was killer, as we all know now to killer. Mine did not qualify for fixing either after entering serial number. I got it Jan 09.

My 809 unit that replaced the 876 also now has issue but after entering serial # it is covered. So only out $1000 instead of $2000...Denon from now on I think.
dalumart's Avatar dalumart 12:39 PM 11-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dea View Post
Thanks for that link, I replaced all of my 876's 100uf caps with 105C rated 100F10V ones and it works flawlessly again. No longer waiting for hours to be able to get image through HDMI, it is instant as it should be.
I watched the video for replacing the capacitors on a 606 and it states that locations and numbers will be different for a 876. How do I know which ones to replace on my 876? I want to try the repair because a new HDMI board is $674 from Onlyo and not worth buying. Please help!
eaayoung's Avatar eaayoung 08:34 PM 11-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalumart View Post
I watched the video for replacing the capacitors on a 606 and it states that locations and numbers will be different for a 876. How do I know which ones to replace on my 876? I want to try the repair because a new HDMI board is $674 from Onlyo and not worth buying. Please help!
I would replace all of them. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
audio4life's Avatar audio4life 11:32 AM 11-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalumart View Post
In this thread, post 5017 has some pics illustrating the needed caps. The last pic shows how to solder a cap across a regulator. This is a second set of caps that should also be installed. You need to do some googling, there are other posts in this thread and others showing these regulators. It can be done, but you need a proper soldering iron for this type of work and solder that has a lower melting point. For all the help of other posters, they never mentioned these 2 facts, which are a big help.
First ... 169  170  171

Up
Mobile  Desktop