Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 5068 Old 12-19-2008, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skvinson View Post

I started off the day leaning toward a Denon 2809. After reading some comparison threads, I'm now going to get an 876. I've just read through this whole thread. Some issues, but still seems like the best option.

One "issue" - just a week ago someone cited a great price at J&R (using Live.com). The price I get now is $200 more. I know we're not supposed to post anything other than MSRP. So, if there are others out there shopping, please PM me with the best prices you're finding. I'll do the same.

Wow, I just saw this too. I got it last week and the 'sale' was still on (from J&R). I looks like you missed it. Hopefully it goes back on sale for you soon!

Speaking of which, my 876 has been "out for delivery" since 5am. HURRY UP UPS!!!

Oh and can any one (thanks russdog for the mic answer) answer my above questions 4 posts up? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5068 Old 12-19-2008, 07:11 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapeas View Post

Wow, I just saw this too. I got it last week and the 'sale' was still on (from J&R). I looks like you missed it. Hopefully it goes back on sale for you soon!

Speaking of which, my 876 has been "out for delivery" since 5am. HURRY UP UPS!!!

Oh and can any one (thanks russdog for the mic answer) answer my above questions 4 posts up? TIA

F.Y.I. I got mine about a week off amazon for $915. I saw that its back up $999 but I'd keep an eye on that
post #543 of 5068 Old 12-19-2008, 11:18 PM

Ok...we got everything set up and man, it sounds great!

3 quick questions that I hope are easy to answer:

1) Since we're using a PS3 as our Blu-Ray player, I've learned that the PS3, internally, has TrueHD decoder, therefore, we won't get the "TrueHD" light to light up on the Onkyo. Ok, cool, I get that. With that said, running a 5.1 system, what 'mode' = TrueHD then? Is it the "THX Movie" one? I hope that question makes sense.

2) We have our Direct TV HDDVR hooked up thru the 876, but can't find the right remote code for the Onkyo remote to control the DTV DVR. The 11 or so codes that came in the manual no workie.

3) In regards to XM radio...we've had a subscription for quite some time and we also have the Delphi SKYFi2 Home Adaptor Kit. How do we go about getting that to run/play thru the 876? Do we need something else as well? The XM connection on the back of the 876 is unlike anything we have, so what am I missing here?

That's it for one night's worth of playing around. Thanks and we can't wait to play around w/ it more!
post #544 of 5068 Old 12-19-2008, 11:52 PM

Eapeas,

As far as the sound modes for your high-res sound formats through the PS3, I have a little input for you. The other things, not so sure. You mentioned that the PS3 decodes TrueHD, and you'd be correct. Did you also know that it now, through a firmware update, decodes DTS-HD? Anyway, I like to use "Direct". With this mode, the receiver outputs the signal with "minimal processing". Of course, "THX Cinema" can be used as well. It's up to you. I like to do movies at higher volume levels. At those levels, I don't like the way the THX modes sound.

Enjoy!

Ronman

I feel thin...sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread. I need a holiday...a very long holiday. - Bilbo B.
post #545 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 12:32 AM

I finished reading the thread but didn't see the following situation mentioned before.

I have an Oppo 980H universal player and a Panasonic BD35 connected to my 876 via only HDMI cables. When I play a CD on the BD35, and press Display with the 876 remote, I see that the audio sent to the 876 is PCM with fs: 44.1 KHz, and consequently only the FL and FR speaker lights are lit, and the audio sounds fine. However when I play a CD on the 980H, the 876 says that the audio is MCH PCM 5.1, and six speaker lights are lit (FL, C, FR, SL, LFE, SR), although of course in the Stereo listening mode I hear music from only the FL and FR speakers.

In the Oppo Audio Setup, the Digital Output is Raw, and the HDMI Audio is Auto.

Is there some reason why the 876 displays that it is receiving a multichannel track from a 2-channel CD? Is this an 876 issue or an Oppo issue or both or neither? I thought of hooking up a digital optical cable at least temporarily, to see if the 876's display reads differently, but I thought I'd ask here before I get back behind my cabinet.
post #546 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tao View Post

Can the newly shaped Audessy mic on the Onyko 876 used to calibrate an 805, I understand the 876 mic is more accurate?

That question is comes up now and then in the Audyssey thread and
the answer has always been a big NO from Chris at Audyssey.
You should only use the mic that came with the product.
The mic is calibrated and the correction is applied to the measurements as they are being taken. It is important to use ONLY the designated microphone that comes with the product as the calibration curve built-in to the product is specific to that microphone. Any other microphone will have different characteristics and thus will not produce the right results.
post #547 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 08:05 AM

Hi guys,

Small question:

can the subwoofer be linked to zone 2?
Or is it dedicated to zone 1 no matter what? ;(

Porto
post #548 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm currently considering an 876. Have had Denon receivers in the past, but the price/feature comparison has me looking at the Onkyo.

Right now, the 876 is selling at the same price as the Denon 2809. Yet the 876 seems to have a feature set more in line with the 3808 (which sells for $500 more).

Question is... what are the major differences in these models (specifically the 876 vs the 2809)? Anything I should be aware of making the jump from Denon to Onkyo?

Also, I currently have a PS3 and a HD Cable box with HDMI out. My TV (Mitsubishi RP) only has component in. I will be upgrading to a HDMI flat panel in the next few months. I understand the 876 can upconvert video signals for output on the HDMI out.

However, will it send the HDMI in signal to the component out? If not, can I still take advantage of the audio from the HDMI in (i.e. PS3 with blu-ray movies) and use the component in/out for the video signal? This will not be an issue once I upgrade the TV, but it would be nice to have until then.

Finally, I have my TV across the room from my components. Everything is wired through the wall/floor. Are there any issues with a 40ft HDMI run? I would use something like the Blue Jeans cable rated for longer runs. Just want to make sure that it works "in practice" as opposed to "in theory."

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
post #549 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post

However, will it send the HDMI in signal to the component out? If not, can I still take advantage of the audio from the HDMI in (i.e. PS3 with blu-ray movies) and use the component in/out for the video signal? This will not be an issue once I upgrade the TV, but it would be nice to have until then.

It looks like it won't convert from HDMI to component out.

Your plan to do use the component out for video and HDMI for audio depends on whether the PS3 will output component and HDMI at the same time (many devices don't). If it does, you'll get it to work if you run the PS3 component straight to the TV. Getting it to work with the component cables hooked to the receiver from the PS3 would be more iffy.
post #550 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I continute to have a totally screwed up picture via hdmi with this reciever. Thought maybe heat releated but seriously this thing isn't that damn hot. It's currently 29c, now come on, that by no stretch is F'ing hot.

What temps are your recievers running at everyone. To check hold display button , hit power on off switch, then hit tone button in drop down panel on front of unit. Make sure to do it in a timely fashion or it reverts back to normal display on the front.

I've even done a vcd/power reset and it STILL F'ing does it. Time to call onkyo.

DONT BUY REFURB.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #551 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapeas View Post

Ok...we got everything set up and man, it sounds great!

3 quick questions that I hope are easy to answer:

1) Since we're using a PS3 as our Blu-Ray player, I've learned that the PS3, internally, has TrueHD decoder, therefore, we won't get the "TrueHD" light to light up on the Onkyo. Ok, cool, I get that. With that said, running a 5.1 system, what 'mode' = TrueHD then? Is it the "THX Movie" one? I hope that question makes sense.

2) We have our Direct TV HDDVR hooked up thru the 876, but can't find the right remote code for the Onkyo remote to control the DTV DVR. The 11 or so codes that came in the manual no workie.

3) In regards to XM radio...we've had a subscription for quite some time and we also have the Delphi SKYFi2 Home Adaptor Kit. How do we go about getting that to run/play thru the 876? Do we need something else as well? The XM connection on the back of the 876 is unlike anything we have, so what am I missing here?

That's it for one night's worth of playing around. Thanks and we can't wait to play around w/ it more!

One time bump here fellas...please?
post #552 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

1. Well it isn't a mode it should go right into multichannel pcm mode soon as the movie starts. Least that's what mine does. I don't add any processing to it I leave it in multichannel, if you wanna put it in thx that's on you.

post #553 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post

1. Well it isn't a mode it should go right into multichannel pcm mode soon as the movie starts. Least that's what mine does. I don't add any processing to it I leave it in multichannel, if you wanna put it in thx that's on you.

Multichannel pcm mode = PLII Movie? If so, then I'm good. I just am not up on what = what (ie. TrueHD decoded from the PS3 = what mode exactly).

Thanks.

Anyone have any answers to #2 or #3 above though? TIA
post #554 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

No multichannel pcm should not be showing plII, you sure you have the ps3 set correctly for audio out.

post #555 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:

No multichannel pcm should not be showing plII, you sure you have the ps3 set correctly for audio out.

Then what 'mode' should be showing when the PS3 movies start up?

Also, another question:

With everything being input thru the 876 (DTV DRV, PS3, 360, Wii) and being output via a single HDMI output, I'm wondering which video settings take effect: The 876's or my Mits WD-65831. I'm talking about brightness, color, tint etc. Should I bother setting up the 876's settings or are they 'over-ruled' by what I already have set up w/ the Mits TV?

Thanks again for being patient and answering guys!
post #556 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm fairly certain the 876 just says multichannel below the input name when you're listening to a blu ray via the ps3. Movies usually start in pro logic for intro of studio names and whatnot. But when you get to the film it should switch on it's own. You sure you have the lossless tracks selected. Make sure the ps3 is set to hdmi audio in audio options and in video setting near bottom there is option for blu ray bitstream or pcm. You want pcm, not that it matters I think it goes into it automatically anyway since it can't bitstream.

post #557 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Ok, I just went downstairs and 'fiddled' with it a bit. Here is where I'm at right now:

The PS3 settings are correct as far as everything is set to "Auto" (BD/DVD Dynamic Range, Video Output Format (HDMI), etc), and the BD/DVD Audio output Format (HDMI) is set to Linear PCM.

Then on the Onkyo, I went "Setup" ---> 5. Listening Mode Preset ---> "Aux 2" (which is the PS3) ---> all the modes are defaulted to "Last Valid".

Everything from Analog/PCM down thru DSD and everything in between is set to "Last Valid". Talk about a bit overwhelming...umm...

So the Mulichannel PCM is what is output from the PS3 to the Onkyo (which is the TrueHD, right?)...so that's the 'mode' that I need to configure on the Onkyo. Ok, so which of the choices is it that is the TrueHD (or the uncompressed digital PCM)?

Pure Audio
Direct
Stereo
PLII Movie/Music/Game
Neo:6 Cinema/Music
Neural THX 5:1
PLII THX Cin
Neo:6 THX Cin
Neural THX Cin
TV Logic
All Ch Stereo
Theater - Dimensional

???

I'm going to go try and read up on all this myself, but if anyone can throw me a bone here, I'd greatly appreciate it.

And hopefully, lastly, is there any way to change the remote so that it doesn't have to be pointed DIRECTLY @ the Onkyo to get it to work? Thanks again.
post #558 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:

I'm fairly certain the 876 just says multichannel below the input name when you're listening to a blu ray via the ps3. Movies usually start in pro logic for intro of studio names and whatnot. But when you get to the film it should switch on it's own. You sure you have the lossless tracks selected. Make sure the ps3 is set to hdmi audio in audio options and in video setting near bottom there is option for blu ray bitstream or pcm. You want pcm, not that it matters I think it goes into it automatically anyway since it can't bitstream.

When I went down and threw in "The Dark Knight" just a minute ago and fired up the PS3/Onkyo, I double checked that the "TrueHD" track was selected in the movie and it still stayed on the "All Ch Stereo" since that was what it was set to the last time I had it on. So, unless I'm a total idiot (and I'm not ruling this out since I'm a total neophyte on these things), it's (the 876) is not automatically switching the audio whatsoever.

post #559 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 04:22 PM

Yay! I got it to come up "Multichannel" now. Had to play around w/ the PS3 settings but I got it now. FINALLY. So that takes care of that now. I was confused. The "PCM" is the uncompressed signal and any of the modes are just 'tinkering' with that signal. I get that now...was confused, sorry. But thanks again for the patience to get me to understand that. :thumbup:

Now the other questions:

1) In regards to XM radio...we've had a subscription for quite some time and we also have the Delphi SKYFi2 Home Adaptor Kit. How do we go about getting that to run/play thru the 876? Do we need something else as well? The XM connection on the back of the 876 is unlike anything we have, so what am I missing here?

2) With everything being input thru the 876 (DTV DRV, PS3, 360, Wii) and being output via a single HDMI output, I'm wondering which video settings take effect: The 876's or my Mits WD-65831. I'm talking about brightness, color, tint etc. Should I bother setting up the 876's settings or are they 'over-ruled' by what I already have set up w/ the Mits TV?

3) Is there any way to change the Onkyo remote so that it doesn't have to be pointed DIRECTLY @ the Onkyo to get it to work?
post #560 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I was just gonna say it has to be a ps3 setting. Because the 876 just automatically goes to multichannel for me. Glad you figured it out.

as for
1. dont know
2. Both, they'd both affect the resulting picture which is why you should use one. 876 makes it easy because it has options per input , per source, per output. Making it very easy to calibrate any signal.
3 Probably not. I bounce mine off wall on the side instead of pointing it right at the unit but basically bout as good as it gets.

I'm dealing with some screwed up video issue I can't resolve and now at this point has been giving me screwed up picture all day long. Making the entire unit worthless.

Here is my thread about it. Even though I mentioned it as well in this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1098327

post #561 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:

I was just gonna say it has to be a ps3 setting. Because the 876 just automatically goes to multichannel for me. Glad you figured it out.

as for
1. dont know
2. Both, they'd both affect the resulting picture which is why you should use one. 876 makes it easy because it has options per input , per source, per output. Making it very easy to calibrate any signal.
3 Probably not. I bounce mine off wall on the side instead of pointing it right at the unit but basically bout as good as it gets.

I'm dealing with some screwed up video issue I can't resolve and now at this point has been giving me screwed up picture all day long. Making the entire unit worthless.

Here is my thread about it. Even though I mentioned it as well in this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1098327

Yeah, thanks!

Noted on #2. I'll look around for various settings others use and go from there. Good luck w/ your color issue. Nothing like that here

One other thing that we just noticed while watching the football game on the satellite...the commercials are quite a bit louder than the game itself. Is there a setting w/o the 876 that levels the commercials w/ the programs? I understand there is a 'night mode', but that's for when you're watching movies only.

Anyone?
post #562 of 5068 Old 12-20-2008, 06:04 PM

i just bought a Denon AVR-2809CI ($1100 CAD before tax = $900 USD)

but i havent opened it yet
now im debating if i should return it and get the 876 instead
someone please help me decide!!

i keep going back and forth...

one thing i learned about denon is that they dont offer feature upgrades thru firmware for free for this model
does Onkyo do it for 876?
post #563 of 5068 Old 12-21-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Techie View Post

one thing i learned about denon is that they dont offer feature upgrades thru firmware for free for this model
does Onkyo do it for 876?

No, the Onkyo 876 isn't software-upgradeable like that.
post #564 of 5068 Old 12-21-2008, 04:24 PM

I have a question about how to hook up the subwoofer with this unit. Right now the sub i have only has r/l speaker hookup (bare wire) yet I see on this receiver you have to have a plug through the pre-out to work? Is that correct or am I reading something wrong? Can someone correct me or tell me how I can get my current sub to work with it?
post #565 of 5068 Old 12-21-2008, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMaench1 View Post

I have a question about how to hook up the subwoofer with this unit. Right now the sub i have only has r/l speaker hookup (bare wire) yet I see on this receiver you have to have a plug through the pre-out to work? Is that correct or am I reading something wrong? Can someone correct me or tell me how I can get my current sub to work with it?

you need a sub with a amp on it.
post #566 of 5068 Old 12-21-2008, 07:52 PM

I have the 876 and my biggest complaint is problems connecting to devices.
Example sometimes I have to cycle the power off and on for it to connect to the satellite signal from dish network.
Another disappointment if you think this receiver will make 480i feeds look better with HQV don't buy it. Absolutely no change with crappy tv signals over satellite.
The last disappointment I have is reaching tech support is near impossible.
I waited almost 2 hours twice with no success.

The good is awesome sound and picture. Since I have not owned any other av recieviers I really can't compare.
Don't buy it just for the Reon HQV you will be disappointed.
post #567 of 5068 Old 12-21-2008, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer101 View Post

I have the 876 and my biggest complaint is problems connecting to devices.
Example sometimes I have to cycle the power off and on for it to connect to the satellite signal from dish network.
Another disappointment if you think this receiver will make 480i feeds look better with HQV don't buy it. Absolutely no change with crappy tv signals over satellite.
The last disappointment I have is reaching tech support is near impossible.
I waited almost 2 hours twice with no success.

The good is awesome sound and picture. Since I have not owned any other av recieviers I really can't compare.
Don't buy it just for the Reon HQV you will be disappointed.

I feed it HDMI 480i from my DVD and I am more than happy with the upscaled picture from the Reon HQV.
HDMI switching to my cablebox can take a few handshakes to get right but
that is problem with my cablebox, not the receiver.
post #568 of 5068 Old 12-22-2008, 06:59 AM

Mine does a fine job with the dvd 480 also. I was hoping it would do something with the 480i signal on the sd tv channels and was disappointed in that.
Apparently the satellite signals are so compressed that no upscaling can help.
post #569 of 5068 Old 12-22-2008, 02:32 PM

I'm seriously considering upgrading my Onkyo TX-NR 801 to an AVR that has HDMI, Audyssey, and the new HD audio formats. I do not necessarily need video upconversion capabilities (that I know of), but I do want the best audio the rest of my system is capable of delivering. I'm debating whether the Onkyo TX-SR 876 is worth close to $400 more than the 806. My other equipment is as follows:
DirecTV HR21-700 HD DVR
XBox 360 w/HD-DVD add-on (component only)
Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player
Samsung HL-T6187S DLP TV
Ascend Sierra 1 LR/C, Ascend CBM-170 surrounds/rear surrounds
Hsu VTF-3 Mk2 sub
in a 13' X 22' room that opens into kitchen/dining room/hallway.

Bottom line-876 worth $400 more than 806? What do you think? Thanks.
post #570 of 5068 Old 12-22-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menglish View Post

I'm seriously considering upgrading my Onkyo TX-NR 801 to an AVR that has HDMI, Audyssey, and the new HD audio formats. I do not necessarily need video upconversion capabilities (that I know of), but I do want the best audio the rest of my system is capable of delivering. I'm debating whether the Onkyo TX-SR 876 is worth close to $400 more than the 806. My other equipment is as follows:
DirecTV HR21-700 HD DVR
XBox 360 w/HD-DVD add-on (component only)
Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player
Samsung HL-T6187S DLP TV
Ascend Sierra 1 LR/C, Ascend CBM-170 surrounds/rear surrounds
Hsu VTF-3 Mk2 sub
in a 13' X 22' room that opens into kitchen/dining room/hallway.

Bottom line-876 worth $400 more than 806? What do you think? Thanks.

876 has...

Better power section.
Better video processing & ISF features.
Different DACs.
Has XT version of Audyssey.

There are some other differences, but those are the biggies. Worth the extra money? To me, yes.....but I'd hold out for another sale (they were $899 a couple weeks ago). Or you might even consider getting an 805 if you can find one.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page