1Likes

post #631 of 5086 Old 12-30-2008, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi All,

I finally ordered my 876 from Amazon (they had just gotten 3 back in stock)and it should be here next week, so I won't have to bother you guys with my questions (or maybe I'll have more questions now).

Thanks,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5086 Old 12-30-2008, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I didn't have any luck getting an answer on the 906 thread so I thought I would try the 876 thread as they're close to the same receiver.

876 owners, is it possible to watch video from one source while listening to audio from a different source (e.g. PS3 game on video while listening to CD's)?

thanks
post #633 of 5086 Old 12-30-2008, 05:38 PM

Liked: 10
Guys quick question, do the ISF video adjustments that you make through this reciever also stay in effect when vieweing 24p/1080p material sent via bluray?

Thanks!
post #634 of 5086 Old 12-31-2008, 01:29 AM

Just jumped on the bandwagon the other day with the 876. I got j+r to match a sale price they had a couple weeks back of 900 bucks! Of course they made me pay 59 for shipping but it still seems like a deal. Unfortunately, I'm still building the cabinets that will be built into the wall for the electronics and CD/DVD storage. Will take me a week or two to finish and then paint before I hook it up to my Mythos 3/2/GemXL/Supercube2.

Anyone else have the Mythos speakers? How's it sound?
post #635 of 5086 Old 12-31-2008, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by grisch View Post

I didn't have any luck getting an answer on the 906 thread so I thought I would try the 876 thread as they're close to the same receiver.

876 owners, is it possible to watch video from one source while listening to audio from a different source (e.g. PS3 game on video while listening to CD's)?

thanks

Yes, for my "CD" input, I take the video from my cablebox, component video so
while listening to music, I can zap through channels if I want to.
You can only assign one HDMI input once but you can "reuse" component video
inputs.
post #636 of 5086 Old 12-31-2008, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kevin- View Post

Guys quick question, do the ISF video adjustments that you make through this reciever also stay in effect when vieweing 24p/1080p material sent via bluray?

Thanks!

I don't have a 1080p/24 source myself but from what I have read,
the video adjustments are not available.
Unsure if the adjustments made for plain 1080p for the same input
are in effect or if the video is passed through untouched when
you feed it 1080p/24.
post #637 of 5086 Old 12-31-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

Yes, for my "CD" input, I take the video from my cablebox, component video so
while listening to music, I can zap through channels if I want to.
You can only assign one HDMI input once but you can "reuse" component video
inputs.

Thanks!

So I'm clear, if I use an HDMI input from the Directv receiver I can only assign to one input but if I use component I can assign to multiple inputs?

I suppose the 1080p upconversion still works from a component source through the HDMI output on the receiver?
post #638 of 5086 Old 12-31-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:

I don't have a 1080p/24 source myself but from what I have read,
the video adjustments are not available.
Unsure if the adjustments made for plain 1080p for the same input
are in effect or if the video is passed through untouched when
you feed it 1080p/24.

Thanks rickardl. Does anyone have any experience with how the 876 handles 1080p/24 sources?
post #639 of 5086 Old 12-31-2008, 06:19 PM

Hi Im new here I just got this receiver a few days ago and have just started messing around with it. My problem is the video and audio lag.This is straight through with composite connections and converted to s-video. I don't even run an hdtv. My roomate and I ran the RockBand calibration and it came back as 47 ms on the video and about 72ms on the audio! This is with the video game mode turned on. Without it its even worse. Rockband will compensate for this but other games will not. It makes playing games, especially Call of Duty 4 or 5, very difficult and frustrating. Has anyone had this problerm? Will this just be a way of life for any component that does video processing? Id hate to see the delay if an HDTV is thrown in.

Straight into the tv there is about 4 ms of video lag. Is there anyway of bypassing all the internal processing and still output on the s video? Thanks for any help.
post #640 of 5086 Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 AM

I am a total noob to the 876 - got one for Christmas. I wired it up for a Powered Zone 2 configuration but I cannot figure out how to get my Harmony 880 remote to set Zone 2 first and then select an input on the A/V Receiver. I assume I'm missing something simple but does Has anyone got a solution for this?
post #641 of 5086 Old 01-01-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisch View Post

Thanks!

So I'm clear, if I use an HDMI input from the Directv receiver I can only assign to one input but if I use component I can assign to multiple inputs?

I suppose the 1080p upconversion still works from a component source through the HDMI output on the receiver?

Yes. I use the HDMI output from my cablebox to the CABLE/SAT input
and use the component output from the same cablebox to both AUX1
and the CD input.
The AUX1 input also gets optical sound from the cablebox.
post #642 of 5086 Old 01-01-2009, 04:00 PM

rickardl,
Thanks, Happy New Year
post #643 of 5086 Old 01-01-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedavet View Post

I am a total noob to the 876 - got one for Christmas. I wired it up for a Powered Zone 2 configuration but I cannot figure out how to get my Harmony 880 remote to set Zone 2 first and then select an input on the A/V Receiver. I assume I'm missing something simple but does Has anyone got a solution for this?

For those of you who may be hunting an answer to a similar question: You can set up a 2nd device on the Harmony Remote for use of Zone 2. Just put "(Zone 2)" after the TX-SR876 model # when setting up the device.
post #644 of 5086 Old 01-02-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman79 View Post

Archer,

Do you have HD with dish, or just SD? Because, most of us really love the Onkyo, but there IS a delay when switching from one channel of one format, to a different format on another channel. For example, if you're watching CNN HD, and then you switch to standard def ESPN. It takes a while to lock on to the change.

Hi Ronman yes I have HD and primarily watch HD channels, I love it.
There is no delay beyond 2 seconds at most. It is no different than when I was directly hooked to TV. I have two HD tv's and go through a GefenTV 1:4 Splitter for HDMI 1.3 prior to the 876 receiver and the delay is no more than 2 seconds.
One thing I've done is set everything to 1080p. Could be everything from dish is over hdmi cable also but I have no delay beyond normal changing channels.

Switching components like to a blue ray player it is taking about 10-15 seconds.
post #645 of 5086 Old 01-02-2009, 06:21 AM

Speaking of delays...

Currently I have a cheap DVD player hooked up (toshiba upscaling that ran about 65 bucks at CC) and I am using it as a CD player also.

Hooked up via HDMI.

When I skip from song to song I get a 1-2 second delay where the beginning of the song is "snipped" and I miss those first few seconds, probably only 1-3 seconds.

Anyone's thoughts on if this is the DVD player, or because it is hooked up via HDMI.

When I had a pioneer DVD player hooked up via coaxial - no problems.

This leaves me to think it is one of two things.

1. HDMI delay

2. Cheap DVD player delay.

I don't have the option of hooking up the pioneer via HDMI because it doesn't have HDMI.

If this is HDMI that is a bummer!
post #646 of 5086 Old 01-02-2009, 12:39 PM

Has anyone stumbled onto discreet IR codes for Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume?
post #647 of 5086 Old 01-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Temperature monitoring on the display.

I tried pressing the display button then pressing the Standby while pressing the display button, releasing both and quickly hitting the Test tone button, but the only thing that happens is I get a test tone. Go figure.
I did this while listening to the tuner if that matters.

How do you get the temps to show on the display???

Nevermind. I was using the remote. Where's my banjo?

"They that would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #648 of 5086 Old 01-02-2009, 04:04 PM

Hey do any URC remote users out there have this on their editor when setting it up? All I see in their selection is the 875.
post #649 of 5086 Old 01-02-2009, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Most Harmony remotes have the 876 in the database.

"They that would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #650 of 5086 Old 01-03-2009, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGiant View Post

Speaking of delays...

Currently I have a cheap DVD player hooked up (toshiba upscaling that ran about 65 bucks at CC) and I am using it as a CD player also.

Hooked up via HDMI.

When I skip from song to song I get a 1-2 second delay where the beginning of the song is "snipped" and I miss those first few seconds, probably only 1-3 seconds.

Anyone's thoughts on if this is the DVD player, or because it is hooked up via HDMI.

When I had a pioneer DVD player hooked up via coaxial - no problems.

This leaves me to think it is one of two things.

1. HDMI delay

2. Cheap DVD player delay.

I don't have the option of hooking up the pioneer via HDMI because it doesn't have HDMI.

If this is HDMI that is a bummer!

I am using my Pioneer DV-600 as DVD , CD, DVD-Audio and SACD player
and it does show that behaviour when connected through HDMI.

Try connection your Toshiba through optical, coaxial or analog cables for CDs
to the CD INPUT and HDMI for DVDs to the DVD input.
The very good side effect of the above is that you can have different Listening Mode Presets
for CDs (such as Stereo, Dolby Prologic IIx Music) vs DVDs (Dolby Prologic IIx Movie, THX Ultra2 Cinema, etc).
post #651 of 5086 Old 01-03-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:

I am using my Pioneer DV-600 as DVD , CD, DVD-Audio and SACD player
and it does show that behaviour when connected through HDMI.

Try connection your Toshiba through optical, coaxial or analog cables for CDs
to the CD INPUT and HDMI for DVDs to the DVD input.
The very good side effect of the above is that you can have different Listening Mode Presets
for CDs (such as Stereo, Dolby Prologic IIx Music) vs DVDs (Dolby Prologic IIx Movie, THX Ultra2 Cinema, etc).

That is what I suspected... HDMI issues. HDMI is nice, but not quite ready for Prime Time... Not big deal, just one more cable to add back in. I'll just get a short coax run I suppose.
post #652 of 5086 Old 01-03-2009, 08:03 AM

I got my 876 the other day and spent last night setting it up. So far, so good!

It does run hot though. A lot hotter that the Pioneer Elite it replaced. But thankfully no functional issues.

I have it hooked up to a PS3, AppleTV, Xbox 360, and DirecTV HD-DVR.

One thing I am confused about is what listening mode to use for each input. I currently have a 6.1 in-wall speaker setup. The speakers came with the house -- so I have no idea what ohms they are. I left the setting at 6 ohms -- hopefully that is correct. I want to upgrade the speakers at some point.

What is the best setting for the PS3 to play Blu-Ray and what listening mode should I use on the 876?

Should I use passthrough or 1080p for upconversion? My TV supports 1080p.

Thanks!
post #653 of 5086 Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 AM

Anybody using the optical out on their 876? It's my first Onkyo receiver (was a Denon lower-end model user), and still feeling my way around. I have everything set up ok (4 HDMI inputs: XBOX 360, Bluray, dvd, NMT output to an LCD tv). I only want to use the optical out to hook up to a 5.1ch headphone that takes in optical (has its own decoder) for late night gaming. I could've sworn I saw a bright red light when I tried hooking up just a cable to the receiver's optical out before, but when I finally connected it to the headphone decoder today, no luck. Unplugging the cable from the decoder, noticed there was no light, so for sure there would be no sound. Is there any setting I have to set on the Onkyo receiver for it to output via optical the audio it's getting from the XBOX (via HDMI)? Went through the manual a couple of times but it looked like the optical out should be constantly sending out signal? Or will it only send out signal if the input is via optical as well? Any help appreciated. Thanks!
post #654 of 5086 Old 01-03-2009, 12:30 PM

I'd like to get some opinions as to which way to hook up some of my Dad's equipment. He's an older guy, (can't bend down to do the hookups anymore, he's 80 I'm 60! He has some very good AV pieces in a nice dedicated HT room. He's always had connection and interface issues with his Sony DR7100 A/V receiver and his Mitsubisi DLP 73" TV. Seems the HDMI output on the receiver won't communicate with his TV. Many have tried to get the handshake including an ISF tech and ALL have failed. So of course he worked around the problem, Sat Box, Panny DMP 10AK and Toshiba A3 all go directly to the TV via HDMI and then opticals out to the receiver for DD & DTS garden variety only. He also has an Oppo DH 981 that he uses via HDMI directly into the Sony receiver so he can play his SACD's and DVD-A's only. I might add he never even heard the Sony's built in 7.1 Ch 170W amps because he's using an Outlaw Audio 7.1 Ch 100W amp, I think it's model 7125 and Outlaw Bass Mgt. unit to power up his Polk LSi15's and RT80 rears and his (2) Polk DSW 10" subs. He also has a Polk Center Ch. and 2 small Infinity on the sides to complete his 7.1 system. A very nice setup.

OK that was the build up now the issue. He's thinking of buying an Onkyo 876 and wants to know if he should keep the Outlaw Amp in the loop or just go with the 876 to power everything and of course get the 876's HDMI's to connect everything up as it should be with this new system. The Sony receiver has terrible user interface and connectability issues. Dad just wants to keep it all simple (all digital) and elimintate the wire clutter. Would the 876as the new power source equal or better in sonic qualities his current set up?
post #655 of 5086 Old 01-04-2009, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post

Well it is for sure the reciever causing the problem. Just switched 2 a different display and it still does it. So both hdmi 1 and 2 out results in this red dot distorted picture. Hooking it up direct it doesn't do it at all. Only when running it through the reciever.

Well DON'T BUY REFURB from onkyo I guess is the lesson learned here folks. Now to deal with this non sense with onkyo's awful support. Not to mention shipping 61 pound moster back I'm sure on my F'ing dime.

Did you try cooling down the 876, as most, so not all, problems concerning picture or picture quality come from the 876 running to hot.
I had also picture problems and when i started to use 3 fans on top (see pictures) and closing (yes, closing !) the vent opening on top to create a better air flow, my temp dropped more the 15 C to a nice 31-32 C and no more picture problems :-)
My fans are running on 7.5 volt and are around 4 dB as sillent as they can be and still pull air........
I do run on 4 Ohm, 6 Ohm will increase temp by 3-4 C.
The Reon scaler is working hard as i use all the filters and let it upscale all my content to 1080P.
With no fans the top is almost to hot to put your hand on, now its cold :-))

I started a topic on the 876 running to hot:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1101952

PS. the most strange part is that the little brother of the 876, the 875, has 1 cooling fan inside !
But no space in the 876 to do that so Onkyo took a gamble with putting this amp on the market without forced cooling, and we get the problems :-(

So get fans !!!!
LL
LL
post #656 of 5086 Old 01-04-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamyers View Post

I have it hooked up to a PS3, AppleTV, Xbox 360, and DirecTV HD-DVR.

You don't say how you are connecting each of the source devices to the 876;use HDMI if you can. It impacts the answer to one of your other questions.
Quote:

One thing I am confused about is what listening mode to use for each input. I currently have a 6.1 in-wall speaker setup.

It depends upon the program material, your connection type and your preferences. The 876 detects and displays the nature of any digital input, and you have to decide which processing mode/soundfield to apply, and whether to set a default mode or use "last valid".

Quote:

The speakers came with the house -- so I have no idea what ohms they are. I left the setting at 6 ohms -- hopefully that is correct. I want to upgrade the speakers at some point.

You can get a rough idea of the nominal impedance by using an inexpensive digital multimeter and measuring the DC resistance. Disconnect the speakers from the 876. Set the lowest resistance scale on the meter and measure by touching one of the probes to one wire and the other to the remaining wire (the color of the wires does not matter). 8 Ohm speakers usually have a DC resistance of < 8 Ohms--usually about 6 Ohms. 4 Ohm speakers will have a resistance of <4 Ohms. Unless you have exceptionally long wire runs or are using exceptionally small guage wire you can ignore the added resistance of the wire. If you are concerned about that search on the net for resistance of wire to find a table or calculator. You will have to know the wire guage though.

Quote:

Should I use passthrough or 1080p for upconversion? My TV supports 1080p.

If your display is a true 1080p panel and the source is BD then use through. You can still make color and filter adjustments if needed.

If your display is not natively 1080p then some conversion must take place. By using test disks, calibrated eyeballs, or letting users vote, you should try various settings so as to let the source device do it, the Reon do it and the display do it. Hopefully one of them will look better to you.

The same goes for 720p and 480i material.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #657 of 5086 Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Did you try cooling down the 876, as most, so not all, problems concerning picture or picture quality come from the 876 running to hot.
I had also picture problems and when i started to use 3 fans on top (see pictures) and closing (yes, closing !) the vent opening on top to create a better air flow, my temp dropped more the 15 C to a nice 31-32 C and no more picture problems :-)
My fans are running on 7.5 volt and are around 4 dB as sillent as they can be and still pull air........

So get fans !!!!

CB, what fans do you have that only run at 4db. The best I have ever found are Noctua fans that run at that voltage and are still 8db. Was your 4db comment an educated guess or did you measure your sound with a db meter?

Thanks.....
post #658 of 5086 Old 01-04-2009, 01:47 PM

Well, after only a day with the 876 it appears to be defective. When watching the DirectTV HD-DVR receiver last night, the Onkyo powered off and the red standby light is flashing. I was assuming that it overheated.

I unplugged the until for several hours and plugged it back in. When I powered it up again, it appeared fine. I got the temp display on the front so I could note the temperature --- about 35 - 45 C. I went and got a temporary small desk fan to blow on the top of the unit. This cooled the temp back down to 30 or so.

Then, when I switched inputs (from Tuner to CBL/SAT), the Onkyo powered off again with the red blinking standby light.

So, it appears that it may not be a temp problem. Any ideas on what it could be? I got the unit from Newegg -- which will be fun getting an exchange.

Sad day. Was really liking the 876.
post #659 of 5086 Old 01-04-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwarrior View Post

CB, what fans do you have that only run at 4db. The best I have ever found are Noctua fans that run at that voltage and are still 8db. Was your 4db comment an educated guess or did you measure your sound with a db meter?

Thanks.....

How the devil did you even measure a 4dB or 8dB noise level? That is close to the noise of a ticking wristwatch at a meter or so. Once a good means of testing the hearing of the young.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #660 of 5086 Old 01-04-2009, 07:58 PM

Does anyone know what X.V color means? It's found after you click on hardware. Thanks for any input.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page