The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR876 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 5065 Old 01-09-2009, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
<<I am using 2 120mm sitting on top of my 906. I use velcro dots to keep them in place and vibration isolate them a bit from the receiver.>.

what power supply are you using?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5065 Old 01-09-2009, 06:12 PM

Is anyone with this receiver using an Oppo dv-983H? If so, is anyone else getting audio dropouts over HDMI with the Oppo dv-983H and this receiver? It doesn't matter if I'm playing dvds or cds. The dropout occurs for about 1 second (after watching or listening to cds for 20 minutes). I tried the official Onkyo firmware and the beta firmware on Oppo's website. My Onkyo firmware is 1.01/088018A on the TX-SR876. I tried a number of different HDMI cables, and I tried various HDMI inputs on the Onkyo receiver. Nothing helped. Video is fine (and set to "Through" on the receiver).

Other devices appear to work fine with my Onkyo TX-SR876 over HDMI.
post #723 of 5065 Old 01-09-2009, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've got a couple of setup questions.

1) After you run the Audyssey calibration it asks you to save it. Is it possible to recall the saved settings?

2) What is the proper way to setup the video on a PS3? I would like to turn off upscaling on the PS3 but that is giving me problems. I can't get the zoom mode to work consistently if I turn off upscaling.

If upscaling is off and Zoom mode on the 876 is at Normal, everything is pillarboxed (4:3 DVD, PS3 menu, and BD's.

If upscaling is off and Zoom mode on the 876 is at Full, everything is fullscreen (4:3 DVD, PS3 menu, and BD's.

So with upscaling turned off, I have to switch Zoom mode on the 876 all the time because at least one of the source formats will be wrong.

If I set upscaling on the PS3 to either Normal or Full Screen the the Zoom mode on the 876 is consistent across all source formats. So I just set it and forget it.

But then, the PS3 is doing the upscaling of DVD's rather than the Reon in the 876 which I would assume should do a better job.

Am I doing something wrong with the PS3 setup?
post #724 of 5065 Old 01-09-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post

Is anyone with this receiver using an Oppo dv-983H? If so, is anyone else getting audio dropouts over HDMI with the Oppo dv-983H and this receiver? It doesn't matter if I'm playing dvds or cds. The dropout occurs for about 1 second (after watching or listening to cds for 20 minutes). I tried the official Onkyo firmware and the beta firmware on Oppo's website. My Onkyo firmware is 1.01/088018A on the TX-SR876. I tried a number of different HDMI cables, and I tried various HDMI inputs on the Onkyo receiver. Nothing helped. Video is fine (and set to "Through" on the receiver).

Other devices appear to work fine with my Onkyo TX-SR876 over HDMI.

Actually, other people are having similar issues with the Oppo dv-983H. The thing is that the dv-983H works perfectly fine with other receivers. So this situation allows Onkyo and Oppo to point fingers at each other without anything being resolved.

Also, I was looking forward to the new Oppo Blu-ray player, but now I'm a little scared.
post #725 of 5065 Old 01-09-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejk01 View Post

I am using one of these but almost any 12 volt DC wall wart will do. You need a minimum of 200ma (0.2 amp) per fan. Red wire is positive (white stripe on wall wart wire) and black is negative. Ignore the white wire on the fan.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=120-1085
post #726 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

<<I am using 2 120mm sitting on top of my 906. I use velcro dots to keep them in place and vibration isolate them a bit from the receiver.>.

thanks

You can play around with various volts.
I have a converter that starts at 3 then 4.5 - 6 - 7.5 - 9 and 12 volt.
The lower you go, the more sillent a fan will be, just like the U.L.N. trick some brands use, putting less volts to the fan makes it sillent, but also a drop in CFM !
So you need to monitor you Onkyo temp and get the lowest volts possible.
I found that every 1.5 volt drop will get me 1 to 1.5 C. more heat.
Not all fans can start at 3 volts, some need at least 4.5 or 6 volts.
post #727 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post

I've had good results with these very quiet magnetic bearing fans:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...08&cp_id=10804

I am using 2 120mm sitting on top of my 906. I use velcro dots to keep them in place and vibration isolate them a bit from the receiver.

Hi, the velco dots will also make the fans pull less air.
With the dots you have a gap between the fan and the Onkyo case, and the fan will pull air also from that gap and so lowering the CFM to pull air from the case.
I connected my 3 fans with glue together, and they are loose on top of the case and can not hear any vibrations (yet), on 7.5 volt.
I also covered to air vents, that the fans do not cover, to create the highest possible air flow, this covering gave me a 4-6 C. DROP in temp !!
I am going to test if the temp can go further down by covering some vent holes on the bottom also, to create even more powerfull air flow inside the case.
post #728 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CBdicX-

What material did you use to seal off the vents on the top of the receiver?

Hi, i used silver self adhesive vinyl, but any color to your liking will do...............
Leave the side vents open, behind these vents sit the Onkyo fans !
post #729 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 02:14 AM

CB,
Not sure if you had a chance to explore one of the previous posters comment on the
Enermax Marathon fan. Again, I thought he may have found the holy grail of fans, with the cost as low as it was, but I researched their specs and they fall short in several places. What doesn't make sense is why. These fans use a unique mag-lev design that should create no noise due to the bearing. However, the fan is rated at 17db (A weighted). I can only surmize that it has to do with their blade design. Also, the life was only slightly better than your Scythe fans. They do have two other series of fans (Cluster and Everest) that have much less noise, use a different "twister" bearing technology, and have those goofy LED lights, but they cost what the Noctua costs and they do not list the life. The Noctua is still front runner in life, and low noise, but definately not price. Now, if we could only find those fans for a reasonable price........
post #730 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwarrior View Post

CB,
Not sure if you had a chance to explore one of the previous posters comment on the
Enermax Marathon fan. Again, I thought he may have found the holy grail of fans, with the cost as low as it was, but I researched their specs and they fall short in several places. What doesn't make sense is why. These fans use a unique mag-lev design that should create no noise due to the bearing. However, the fan is rated at 17db (A weighted). I can only surmize that it has to do with their blade design. Also, the life was only slightly better than your Scythe fans. They do have two other series of fans (Cluster and Everest) that have much less noise, use a different "twister" bearing technology, and have those goofy LED lights, but they cost what the Noctua costs and they do not list the life. The Noctua is still front runner in life, and low noise, but definately not price. Now, if we could only find those fans for a reasonable price........

I seen a review today of the Noctua 800 RPM, but.................
They also start to make the ticking noise i get with Scythe !!
This was one of the negs in this review that Noctua starts to make noise when the voltage is lowered.
So i will take a $7 fan over a $19 fan with the same ticking noise at 6 or 7.5 volt, and better looking, as the Noctua color is BAAAAAAAAAD...... ;-)
I mailed Noctua to ask if they will come with a all black version, but NO.
So i will stay with Scythe as they look great on the Onkyo, and see when they will give up life, but think thats some years from now.
post #731 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedUser View Post

The ISF Calibration features of the latest series of Onkyo's appear quite extensive. I have an Excel spreadsheet which I found from one of these threads which documents all the Video adjust parameters - including the Blue Only Mode.

It states to turn blue mode on/off: From the front panel - push and hold "HDMI OUT" then push "MEMORY".

It also states how to change the "DAY", "NIGHT" locked modes.

I am quite impressed by the thinking that has gone on the video adjustments - while they are not at the level of a dedicated video processor and no CMS - they remove the need to connect all the video directly to the TV, Projector.

Unfortunately, I don't have two display devices (yet) to test, but I like the logic behind the ability to combine the input (Source based settings) and output (Monitor Out) adjustments. Especially as there are 2 HDMI + 1 Analogue Monitor Out adjustments. Reading the document, it appears, changes can be implemented cumulatively, that is, if the Projector has more contrast than the TV then the changes can be made on the Output side without affecting the Source Device (DVD, Set top box etc.) calibration settings.

Although I have a Pioneer TV with ISF calibration capabilities, I believe these video adjustment features give any Video Display device connected via Component or HDMI (be it Sony, Panasonic, LG etc.) ISF calibration capability. Would be interested to get some feedback from some calibrators who have used this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Great!! I just tried the Blue Only mode and it works!
No more looking through blue filters!
post #732 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Just got a brand new 876 and checked the firmware:

Serial # 2471MP18X*******

Main 87 1.01 08801A
SR9061 08919A
SR9062 08605C
SR9063 08506A
HDMI__ 1.00 / 08627A
Video__ 08703E01293

One guy took his 876 to an Onkyo service point for an update a few days ago because of a popping issue and got a main firmware upgrade to
Main 87 1.02 08X23A

To manage firmware infos here on the thread I would suggest, that those posting firmware versions do also add the left side of the serial no as I did, so others can correlate serial and software versions and find the latest releases in store.
Encoded in the left side of the serial are the hardware and software versions
post #733 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeo your main and dsp1 is newer version than mine and at least one other new owner from just a month ago. Of course your one guy whoever he is has newer main than you even. So that makes most of us 2 firmware version behind at least.

My onkyo was sent back for exchange. Hope the send newer unit, but at this point I'll take any unit. I have ZERO audio in my house from anything until then send me a new reciever. They got my unit yesterday, still waiting to hear from them.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #734 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Hi, the velco dots will also make the fans pull less air.
With the dots you have a gap between the fan and the Onkyo case, and the fan will pull air also from that gap and so lowering the CFM to pull air from the case.
I connected my 3 fans with glue together, and they are loose on top of the case and can not hear any vibrations (yet), on 7.5 volt.
I also covered to air vents, that the fans do not cover, to create the highest possible air flow, this covering gave me a 4-6 C. DROP in temp !!
I am going to test if the temp can go further down by covering some vent holes on the bottom also, to create even more powerfull air flow inside the case.

The fans I am using are very quiet at 12 volts so I did not see any point in reducing their CFMs by running at a slower speed.
I am hesitant to cover the top slots because if for some reason the fans aren't working you will have crippled the OEM passive cooling system.
I can't think that covering the bottom slots will improve things (the cooler air has to come from somewhere) but am interested to hear your results.
post #735 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Good point.
The fans should only support the natural flow of hot air and still leave margin for malfunctioning without overheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post

The fans I am using are very quiet at 12 volts so I did not see any point in reducing their CFMs by running at a slower speed.
I am hesitant to cover the top slots because if for some reason the fans aren't working you will have crippled the OEM passive cooling system.
I can't think that covering the bottom slots will improve things (the cooler air has to come from somewhere) but am interested to hear your results.

post #736 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CB,

Hi Toolwarrior,

I am still not to happy with the sound Scythe makes when music volume is low.
So i am still looking for other fans, even i was happy with the ticking $7 fans at first, but now i start to worry what this sound will do in the coming month.
So i will be happy to get any advice in sillent fans.............
My biggest neg to Noctua is the color :-(
post #737 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Cooler Master Ultra Silent 120 mm
13dbA @ 720 rpm @ 12VDC

Quote:

Hi Toolwarrior,

I am still not to happy with the sound Scythe makes when music volume is low.
So i am still looking for other fans, even i was happy with the ticking $7 fans at first, but now i start to worry what this sound will do in the coming month.
So i will be happy to get any advice in sillent fans.............
My biggest neg to Noctua is the color :-(

post #738 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

Cooler Master Ultra Silent 120 mm
13dbA @ 720 rpm @ 12VDC

Thanks,

13dB is not very silent, and it pulls only 11.27 CFM at 720 rpm......

I just looked at Toolwarriors advice for Enermax Cluster and Everest.

Cluster: from 8dB 500 rpm, 23.86 CFM, to 14dB 1200 rpm, 53.02 CFM

Everest: from 8dB 500 rpm 26.51 CFM, to 14dB 1500 rpm, 46.10 CFM

And they look great :-)
post #739 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CB,

Ooooooeps, just found some not to good reviews on the Cluster:

Quiet and some bad
Reviewed By: fan fan on 1/2/2009 Tech Level: somewhat high - Ownership: 1 week to 1 month
This user purchased this item from Newegg
Pros: Quieter than the S-stone black f12, and a few others, in terms of turbulence noise. Glossy, lighted eye candy. PWN.
Cons: Noisier than sleeve bearing. Low pressure and side openings hampers dense-finned heatsink efficiency. Weak plastic frame. Why the new frame when black frame is good?
Other Thoughts: There is a cheaper alternative. For the price you can get couple of fan controllers and keep your S-stone fans. I'll keep you posted when I get the rebate.
Did you find this review helpful?

Reviewed By: Smasherguy18 on 12/21/2008 Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 month to 1 year
Pros: I've had these fans about 3-4 months now. They're silent for sure compared to other fans I've owned. They move good amount of air at full speed. Cool white lights, nice and bright.
Cons: Besides the cool looking and easy to clean, not impressed for the price. Never got the rebate, which I could care less, but for one out of 2 I bought to die, sucks. I ran 1 at full speed on my CPU cooler just for the heck of it and what do you know, I look in my case couple days later, and the fan is barely moving.
Other Thoughts: Over all, not happy at all and I was hoping to buy more for the whole case, after this, I doubt I will.
Did you find this review helpful?

Wasted money
Reviewed By: Zman on 12/13/2008 Tech Level: somewhat high - Ownership: 1 week to 1 month
Pros: Seems to be a decent fan
Cons: No quieter than the fans that came with the case. (HEC 6XR8) I don't know if that means the fans aren't very quiet or if it means HEC puts primo fans in their cases.
Other Thoughts: If your looking for an ultraquiet fan, this is not it.
post #740 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 03:56 PM

Got a quick question.. I'm thinking about getting an onkyo 876 but keep reading about cooling issues. Do you recommend I look for a different model?? If So which models are similar to this that have THX in the same price range??

I also wanted to know about upscaling. I have an older LG Divx DVD player and was thinking about buying a new upscaling Divx DVD player by LG. My current Divx player does not support HDMI... if I go for the onkyo 876 and plug my current player into the components and then transfer out to hdmi to my TV, is that correct?? Would there be any difference in doing this with my current one then using an upscaling divx player in terms of quality?? To me it seems like I am doing the same thing but using the receiver to upconvert. My tv supports 1080p its an Samsung LN52A750 which I am still waiting to recieve
post #741 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

####################################################

Swopping to Noctua will make no differents in not having the ticking sound i have with Scythe !!
Seen a review about the Noctua NF-S12 and when you go down in voltage, and they tested on 5 volts, also here ticking sounds from the bearing !
It seems when a fan is powerd lower then 12 volt, it start to produce sounds you will not get on 12 volt, the design and testing voltage for all brands............
So i do not like the (very low dB) ticking sound, but better to have it on a $7 fan, then on a $19 fan.

nice fans...but after a period of time how would u eliminate the dust build-up on the underside of the Onkyo from where the cool air and floating dust are drawn in?
Do u put a layer of felt/filter so that the dust is trapped b4 it gets sucked into the grates of the unit and causing a mess?
thanks,
alan
post #742 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks,

13dB is not very silent, and it pulls only 11.27 CFM at 720 rpm......

I just looked at Toolwarriors advice for Enermax Cluster and Everest.

Cluster: from 8dB 500 rpm, 23.86 CFM, to 14dB 1200 rpm, 53.02 CFM

Everest: from 8dB 500 rpm 26.51 CFM, to 14dB 1500 rpm, 46.10 CFM

And they look great :-)

Just get the Scythe Flex SFF21D already! 800rpm/8.7dBa/33.5cfm
http://www.coolerguys.com/sff21.html

No clicking. No sound at all. I just ordered 2 additional Scythe's. Very impressive. (For a fan)

"They that would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #743 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 05:06 PM

I did my research on a new receiver, and my choice came down to the 876 and the Denon AVR-2809CI . No doubt about it, the Onkyo is the price/performance leader... but lengthy discussions about keeping the unit cool to avoid cut-outs or shortened component life are very discouraging.

It seems like this should have been part of the design of the product. It shouldn't be up to us to track down the quietest fans and appropriate heat sinks for the REON - we're talking about parts that might have cost Onkyo a few cents (a couple of dollars at most) per unit to have built into it themselves.

So, I'm wavering on the issue of build quality. Anyone want to talk me down from the ledge?
post #744 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 05:19 PM

Yep. I'll talk you down from the Onkyo heat non-issue. This great post was made a day or two ago...
Quote:

For what Onkyos offer in the price/performance and price/feature ratio, I'd say they are well worth the possibility that it MIGHT run hot in your setup and you MIGHT have to add some cooling or re-arrange the location. You don't hear major complaints of heat issues with high-end A-Biased AB Amps, but I guarantee you it's not because they don't run hot... it's because those users understand that heat is a byproduct of the design and amount of power those amps produce. The design and amount of power the SR805/875/876/905/906 produce are new to the sub-$1000 receiver market... if you're upgrading from a $300, or even an older $1000 receiver the heat associated with the design and power produced is going to be new to you... and we're always afraid of what we don't understand.

Could a more robust cooling design keep the SR805 and up from running as hot as they do? Yes. Is the heat they generate unusual for their design and the amount of power they produce? No.

post #745 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 05:22 PM

I've had my 876 for ~3mos now and I absolutely love it. This has by far exceeded my expectations for both video and audio-the upscaling of SD channels is phenomanal, sound quality is fantastic, no heat issues at all. I upgraded from a 7yr old Sony DB840-so it's taken some time to get used to all the new capabilities, but boy what a difference. I'm a bit perplexed by all the heat related concerns, this thread seems to have gone from an Onkyo 876 thread to a fan/cooling thread. I've yet to see/hear anyone having any issues due to overheting. I've got mine sitting on top of my DVD/SACD player, about 1'' from the top of a shelf holding my cable DVR and power conditioner and I've seen no heat issues whatsoever. The back of my entertainment center is open so it's not completely enclosed. I use the Reon at all times for TV viewing and have had no issues. I researched and debated for about a year-glad I held off on the Denon 3808 over the 875 and recommed the 876 1000%. You will absolutely love this reciever.
post #746 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 06:08 PM

Folks, I think you are missing what the discussion about the heat and extra cooling fans is really all about. For starters, I am an engineer that works in the semiconductior world. I understand what is going on with these devices down to the chip level. If you follow what folks like myself or CBdicX are saying about the use of extra fans, you will see that we do not do this because the unit requires it, we do it because we go overboard to protect our equipment. What the extra cooling fans do is simply extend the long-term life of the AVR. It is a fact that heat breaks down electronic components. So what are we doing by adding fans? Who knows. The hope would be that you might take the life of the AVR from lets say 10 years to maybe 15 or more before some component inside fails. Excessive? You bet. But for us, we like it. As an engineer, I like the fact that I am improving another engineers design, however small.

So, to those that we may have scared from the Onkyo due to heat, have no fear. As many posters have said, this is a great unit for the money. The competition can not touch it in the same price range, as far as features go. If you are going to be concerned about anything, be concerned about Onkyo's crappy customer service, or the lack of ease to change the aspect ratio of because the Onkyo does not automatically do this. These are the real issues. If they don't bother you, then I would not hesitate on this purchase.
post #747 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
'I've got mine sitting on top of my DVD/SACD player, about 1'' from the top of a shelf holding my cable DVR and power conditioner and I've seen no heat issues whatsoever."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I don't know what else to say. I'm speechless.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #748 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 08:16 PM

those comments are re-assuring, it is a great unit they just should have put some fans in it to make it a complete package. Ah well no biggie.. I am still going to get one within the next few weeks.

Could someone answer my questions about using the 876 to upscale to 1080p...

Would there be any difference in picture quality between these two setups???

1st one would be my original divx dvd player component into 876 hdmi out at 1080p

2nd buying an upscaling divx dvd player

Sorry if its a newb question but I don't want to be wasting my money on a new upscaling divx player if it will be the same as I already have, Thanks
post #749 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 08:37 PM

The only way an upscaling DVD player could output as good as the Onkyo is if it had a Reon or equivalent - and any inexpensive one doesn't have a Reon.

I wouldn't waste your money on an upscaling DVD player. In fact, if you have one that puts out good 480i, you're probably all set. Let the Onkyo do the heavy lifting.
post #750 of 5065 Old 01-10-2009, 09:06 PM

Thanks.. I found out it is 480i but also came across this..

Good player, good price.

Pros
* Good menu system, easy to use
* Rich color and picture quality, but only on standard tv. (480i)
* Plays all kinds of medias including DVD+R DL
* Plays all kinds of DIVX. It plays more files than my Philip DVP-642. But occationally there is some loss in the decoded video. I saw a big black block instead of picture.
* Good subtitle support. It supports srt format and dvd idx/sub format.

Cons:
* Horriable picture quality on HDTV. It produces the worst pictures comparing to my other dvd players.
* Progressive Scan is not completely working. I saw a lot of noises under Progressive Scan mode. That is, this player can only output 480i signals.

That does seem like some heavy lifting.. wonder if the 876 will be able to handle it. If not no big deal I picked 2 of these up for a great deal about 2 years ago and haven't had any problems with them yet. I'll see how they look when they get setup with the new tv and receiver. Thanks again for your help
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page