1Likes

post #991 of 5075 Old 01-25-2009, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andonakis View Post

Is there anyone out there that is happy with this 876 receiver? I mean I have ordered this thing 2 days ago and these posts are terrifying. Can someone post something positive or I will just send it back and keep my 604 that has worked flawless.

I've had the unit a month now and overall I am very happy with it.

First, considering I paid 1k for this unit, shipped it is an absolute bargain, but it's only a bargain if you like it right?

Pro's.

1. Sound quality - for both music and movies it is an absolute beast with dynamic power, and for me the sound quality it is outstanding. I have it paired with NHT speakers (ST-4's are my mains, SC 2, and rear in celings along with a velodyne spl 12 sub). It sonically is a great match for the NHT's, not too bright.

2. Audessey Multi XT, Dynamic EQ. - Definitely is great for movies, and all music at lower volumes. The Dynamic EQ really helps a lower, and frankly more day to day volumes. For Movies, this thing is awesome. The only time I have not liked Dynamic EQ is at high volumes with real hard rock/heavy metal (ozzy, megadeth) stuff like that. However for more mellow music (dave mathews, the eagles etc) I even tend to like dynamic EQ for those sources. When I turn off dynamic EQ for pure audio at high voulmes with metal I like it better, but my speakers are bi-amped (through the reciever, awesome) and have 8 inch passive subs built in.

But even at higher volumes I like dynamic EQ with more mellow sources.

3. On-Screen menus - for the most part pretty darn easy to use.

4. The Reon Chip - it does do a nice job upscaling, that said I typically watch HD sources.

5. the remote is pretty easy to use, though I use a harmony for day to day use.

6. ability to decode DTS and DD on board along with other sources is a nice to have.

7. Build quality - it's a tank.

So, what are potential cons thus far?

1. It is slow switching sources, and slow with changing DTV channels if you run it through the reciever.

2. I think it has some slight difficulty when running something like ESPN through the reciever with upscaling on, regarding the scrolling ticker at the bottom of the screen. Not a deal breaker at all. I had massive problems with a sony XBR6 LCD with the tickers stuttering... but I also returned that TV due to backlighting issues. Now with a panasonic plasma, it's pretty much perfect. That could be the TV, could be the reciever. Never a problem when running the DTV direct into either TV. But, I really, really wouldn't consider this a major issue and with the panasonic plasma it's 98% perfect. Could have been that Sony with the onkyo produced a problem since the sony by itself with DTV was perfect, but the plasma is good either way. Regardless, I'm happy with it in combo with the Panasonic plasma.

3. It runs warm as has been talked about ad-nasuem. Is this an issue long term? - only time will tell. My cabinet has decent ventilation (open back, perferated door salamader designs). So far, it has NEVER been a run time issue.

4. The dynamic volume feature when turned on destroys music, not a big deal as you can turn it off. I do wish there was a remote key that let you toggle between multi-dynamic eq-dynamic volume that would be NICE. TV watching the dynamic volume would be nice but I do think it would compress a Dolby Digital source. Not an Onkyo issue as I suspect anything with dynamic volume would act the same.

Otherwise, for what this unit sells for, it is outstanding. I've not had any dsp issues, any popping issues etc. It may exagerate when you get a weak DTV signal from your dish, when I do get snow up there, or interference it pops and pixelizes a bit more on my set either vs the DTV HDMI directly into the set, but either way there is a problem and it's with the signal.

With DVD's and a strong source - never, ever a problem.

Seriously, for 1k I'm awfully happy and Im picky and anal retetntive about things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 5075 Old 01-25-2009, 10:03 AM

Liked: 17
One thing I still don't understand for the life of me is why the LFE levels are varying so much from time to time.

If any remember, I complained that output was nonexistant at times on the LFE and I reset the unit which cleared the issue. Then it came back. Now the rep told me that it's a possibility that there is a power issue in my neighborhood that could be causing this bass fluctuation.

But I swear that something is not right. Just a few minutes ago the bass was really strong on material I know. But yet the other day when I increased the volume closer to MV the bass just sounded compressed.

Weird.

How would I be able to test to make sure that the LFE is alright ?

Regards,
post #993 of 5075 Old 01-25-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post

Now the new reciever has just started doing the same exact crap my first was, see this thread here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15345336
I've seriously tried different sources, different hdmi cables, they all do it when ran through the 876. The receiver did it the moment I turned it on this morning. It can in no way be hot, has never really got to hot. It's 65 in the room nice and cool. What in the hell could be causing this to red pixel.

Bummer.

If you have the same problem with the DVD player, let's focus on it as the simplest case. What is the player make and model and what are the player's output settings (resolution and any picture control settings)? Does the problem manifest with both HD and SD sources?

What are the source and monitor out settings on the 876? Does changing them have any effect on the problem?

Do you have the problem no matter which HDMI out jack you use on the 876?

What are the makes and model numbers of the displays and if the problem is seen in one of the default settings which one is it?

You may have mentioned it but it the problem visible with component video or a VGA connection?

Can you borrow another HDMI repeating receiver and try it?

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #994 of 5075 Old 01-25-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First thanks for helping, I really need input at this point.

What are the source and monitor out settings on the 876? Does changing them have any effect on the problem?
I don't have anything changed it's set to through, changing them doesn't do anything

Do you have the problem no matter which HDMI out jack you use on the 876?
Yes, both outs do it, to two different displays, different sources , different cords it does not matter, it just does it.

What are the makes and model numbers of the displays and if the problem is seen in one of the default settings which one is it?
dell 24 inch montior and a mits hd1000 projector, but again if I run video hdmi right to displays it does not do it.

You may have mentioned it but it the problem visible with component video or a VGA connection?
No vga straight into the displays doesn't do it, hdmi using exact same cord just unplugging it from reciever in right into displays the red dots go away. So straight into the displays bypassing reciever using same cords they work perfect. It's ONLY through the receiver does it do this, and it doesn't matter what source. DVD, pc or ps3 ALL do it.

Can you borrow another HDMI repeating receiver and try it?
No , I don't know of anyone who has one.

It might be the same exact unit I sent them. It has exactly every firmware version is identical to the one I sent in I can now confirm that, so what they might've done is held my unit for few days and just put it in different box, gave me back wrong remote and sent it back to me for my troubles.....

I am uploading a video clip of what it's doing since my pics were awful with webcam. Vid's aren't much better but will give you a better idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yimcSrsCMdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF4xor60bAw

I'd almost say since no one here or in my thread I started on this issue has seen this effect. I say Onkyo sent me back my defective unit trying to pass it off as a replacement. They were supposed to replace it, not box it back up in another box and send it back. They just wasted two weeks of me having ZERO audio in the entire apt.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #995 of 5075 Old 01-25-2009, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

HDTV--

Couple of points I'm unclear about.

Isn't the Mits 1000 a 720p box with a max input of 1080i? If that's right then we are talking about 480p/720p and 1080i having the problem using HDMI in to the 876 and HDMI out to the display.

Is your player an SD BD or HD player and are you up or down converting in the player? That is what is the program material resolution and what is the player output?

Do you have the problem with a component feed to the 876 and both HDMI and component out to the display, or does it only manifest when the connection is HDMI all the way?

If no combination of video in/out on the 876 with any setting on the displays works, the 876 does look like the problem. But the Mits is not a current design and it could be that it does not play well with repeaters. The monitor might also be problematic. You might want to try using your 876 with a newer display.

Did you send Onkyo a copy of the screen capture?

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #996 of 5075 Old 01-25-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

mits is native 720p yes but it does accept 1080p. Besides that the dell monitor that is my main display can do 1080p with pixel mapping.

The dvd player gets used ONLY for SACD and DVD-audio. The pc is the main hub of home theater it does everything.

It only does it using hdmi. Component out dvd player into 876 then upconverted to 1080p it does not red pixel. It's normal looking video. But I don't use component for anything. Only thing thats plugged into onkyo at all is 3 hdmi in's two out hdmi for video, and one sub in cable, that's it.

I'm not buying another $1000 display because this POS receiver has issues. PERIOD.

Yes I sent onkyo pics I posted in my thread I started about it. They said nothing abouti it, just supposed to replace the unit. Which at this point I'm not even sure they did, I'd say it's much more likely the sent back the exact same unit I sent in and just put a different refurb prebunble of remote/manual and accessories.

So the only thing that works is component in upconverted to 1080p and output hdmi, that doesn't have the red pixel issue. Pure hdmi does.

As for if they just sent me back the one I sent in, they just put a white sticker over where the serial number would be, so they could remove and just place another sticker over the units serial. They might not have done even that I don't know. I hope they sent back the same one on purpose or mistake because it would mean that multiple units aren't showing this same issue.

post #997 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
TX-SR876:

Links for the new "Main" firmware updates 1.04 and 1.05 are now active
Don't forget the DSP update either...
post #998 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 06:51 AM

Hello

My new SR-876 came in this week end it replaced my old Yamaha RX-V3000, hooked it up and it sounds great now im just a little concerned with the temp. its running its reading 68/66fan. isn't this a to high?

Thanks.
post #999 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 07:07 AM

The prices of this receiver are pretty high in Canada. Would buying a new one off ebay be a bad idea?? How would the warranty work if its purchased from the US?? It might get damaged during shipping as well. I may have to give onkyo a call and see what they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_lara View Post

Hello

My new SR-876 came in this week end it replaced my old Yamaha RX-V3000, hooked it up and it sounds great now im just a little concerned with the temp. its running its reading 68/66fan. isn't this a to high?

Thanks.

Yes that does seem quite high.. is it in an enclosed space?? You could get some computer fans and place them on top of the receiver thats what a lot of people are doing to keep it cool. Search the last 10 pages or so and you will find lots of useful info. good luck
post #1000 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 08:14 AM

yes its a little cramped up, i think ill install a few fans and cut a hole in the back of the stand.
post #1001 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 09:39 AM

I've got a question. I've reset the Onkyo twice now and the second time I did, I find that some settings are never saved when the amp is set to standby. If I set the sub level a couple dB's lower and set to standby mode then those settings are not saved.

Is there a reason why this could be ? Should I reset the unit yet again ?

Regards,
post #1002 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

In what menu did you change the settings ?
If within the setup, it should be saved to persistent memory.
If from the remote as channel trim, it will return to its original state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

I've got a question. I've reset the Onkyo twice now and the second time I did, I find that some settings are never saved when the amp is set to standby. If I set the sub level a couple dB's lower and set to standby mode then those settings are not saved.

Is there a reason why this could be ? Should I reset the unit yet again ?

Regards,

post #1003 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 165
gurkey, thanks for the new 876 firmware update link. I notice in the instructions that are not necessary the flash writer "jig" interface? Only the RS232 cable for the main firmware update on the 876?

Thanks

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #1004 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 03:19 PM

For the 876 and Gurkey's firmware link...
No jig/dongle required. Hook up RS-232, unzip the file and run update.exe. Went quick and came back fine - all settings intact.

Before the update I was at
Main: 1.01
DSP: 1st 8919A

I didn't need to update the DSP because it seems they're current already. As for the main, I'm up to 1.05 now.
Is it mandatory to reset (hold VCR and press standby) after a firmware upgrade? I'm going to redo Audyssey anyway because I moved some furniture around but it would be nice not to have to rename all my inputs and write down the other settings...
post #1005 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaño View Post

gurkey, thanks for the new 876 firmware update
link. I notice in the instructions that are not necessary the flash writer "jig" interface? Only the RS232 cable for the main firmware update on the 876?

Thanks

post #1006 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I can try an update of firmware to fix my nightmare of a red pixel hdmi video issue.

It is currently not doing it, but it's never far away. The whole thing just doesn't make any damn sense to me.

post #1007 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 05:14 PM

To:AndrewS99: Hi, Just like to Know what's IMPROVEMENT did you notice after Updating to new FW-1.05?...Did it FiXED the Known BuGs in 876?...Thanks!...
post #1008 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 05:39 PM

I didn't have any bugs or issues with my Main 1.01 876, so I really didn't notice any changes.

Well...not 100% true. I'd like to see the Full/Zoom/Normal thing fixed where you can't really watch pillared 4:3 content and normal 16:9 content on the same setting. This will most likely be a video firmware update not a main firmware update - but I'll try it tomorrow anyway to see if it was fixed.
post #1009 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 View Post

I didn't have any bugs or issues with my Main 1.01 876, so I really didn't notice any changes.

Okay, thanks for the Info..if there's no issues on FW 1.01,Just thinking now if i do the same latest FW update to mine..coz my 876 is doin' fine as of now...:
post #1010 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 07:11 PM

Of course after posting yesterday that I am awfully happy with the unit tonight I tried to use the AM FM tuner for the first time. Well, after trying 3 different antenna's i can't get a single station on AM or FM to come in. I mean, dead as can be.

Anyone have this problem, any chance I set something up wrong? or is it possible something is wrong in my tuner section.

Not a make or break as I rarely listen to radio, but strange.

Any tips?
post #1011 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Was the cable length the same on all antenna's you tried? I had a real difficult time picking up stations, especially AM, with the included antenna. I switched to the antenna from my previous Pioneer receiver which has a cable length about 3 times longer and now I don't have any problems.
post #1012 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

In what menu did you change the settings ?
If within the setup, it should be saved to persistent memory
If from the remote as channel trim, it will return to its original state.

You're right, I used the channel trim button on remote. Strange, I almost recall that it was saved before then I tried it when I first got the receiver. Or perhaps my memory is worse than I thought.

Regards,
post #1013 of 5075 Old 01-26-2009, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofananatics View Post

Okay, thanks for the Info..if there's no issues on FW 1.01,Just thinking now if i do the same latest FW update to mine..coz my 876 is doin' fine as of now...:

There is at least one bug fixed in the video adjustments.
if you set the gamma to some value, it would still retain the value after you
came back to the same input selection, but the actual effect on the screen,
lighter or darker, would not be in effect until you touched the gamma setting again.
That was fixed in 1.04 and also 1.05 since they are accumalative.
post #1014 of 5075 Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

lighter or darker, would not be in effect until you touched the gamma setting again.

Well, it seems Worthwhile to upgrade to the New FW afterall... KEEP YOUR INFO FLOWING GUYS!...Thank You!...
post #1015 of 5075 Old 01-27-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efranzen View Post

Was the cable length the same on all antenna's you tried? I had a real difficult time picking up stations, especially AM, with the included antenna. I switched to the antenna from my previous Pioneer receiver which has a cable length about 3 times longer and now I don't have any problems.

yes, approximately the same length, the length of the one provided. I've used one of the antenna's before.

I mean, I didn't even get a hint of a station to pick up, not anything.
post #1016 of 5075 Old 01-27-2009, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Between 1.01 and 1.05 a little more must have changed for certain.
It is four steps up
Unfortunately no changelog or anything available, so we don't really know, what else has been fixed.
Still waiting for feedback from other users, who installed it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

post #1017 of 5075 Old 01-27-2009, 07:12 AM

Hi ,

Just a quick question. After i watched a movie i switch of all equipment including the 876 so it is complete powerless, can this be an issue regarding some settings? Or does it not matter.

thanks,

Ron
post #1018 of 5075 Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 AM

1.05 for the 876 does not fix the DVR HD/SD format issue we've been having.

Currently I've set my DVR to 480 pass through OFF so it upconverts everything to 1080i and I set the 876 to Through for my DVR source.

Ideally, as outlined earlier in the thread, we'd like to set the passthrough for 480i and the 876 for 1080p and let the Reon chip do the upscaling and deinterlacing.

I don't currently like this solution because it stretches 4:3 content if set to "Full" on the 876. 1.05 does not fix this.
I'm assuming if this is ever "fixed" it will be a Reon (video) firmware update not Main firmware.
post #1019 of 5075 Old 01-27-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migeye View Post

Hi ,

Just a quick question. After i watched a movie i switch of all equipment including the 876 so it is complete powerless, can this be an issue regarding some settings? Or does it not matter.

thanks,

Ron

No problem :-)
At my home all my stuff like TV, STB, Blu-ray, Onkyo, modem ect.
all are turned off for 6 hours, from 01.00 to 7.00 AM, and no problems with the settings............
post #1020 of 5075 Old 01-27-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

No problem :-)
At my home all my stuff like TV, STB, Blu-ray, Onkyo, modem ect.
all are turned off for 6 hours, from 01.00 to 7.00 AM, and no problems with the settings............

Thanks for your answer,

But because i have a dedicated HT it is sometimes powerless fore some days.
Not that i encountered any issue so far so i think it will be ok
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page