The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR876 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 5078 Old 10-02-2008, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is the Onkyo global site. You can find a unit that is for your area. It also has better information about the receivers than the US site: http://www.onkyo.com/. In your case I guess Asia, Oceania.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5078 Old 10-02-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfats View Post

Surround.

Thanks! That is what I went with on my hookups.
post #93 of 5078 Old 10-03-2008, 12:10 AM

I posted this over in the 906 thread, but thought folks here might want to read up on the toroidal transformer if you're still on the fence, like I am, between the 876 and the 906

Quote:

Interesting write-up on the toroidal transformer. So if I read this correctly, it has a great deal of benefit for Onkyo by providing a smaller size and more efficient package. The only benefit I see to the user is reduced chance for "hum". However, I have not heard anyone in the 876 camp report any "hum" issues and they don't get the toroidal. I think it may well be possible that the toroidal transformer in the 906, while a good thing, may not provide a discernable difference to the user as compared to the 876. Can one of you audio experts clarify what I am missing in my thinking?
post #94 of 5078 Old 10-03-2008, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahalic View Post

Side note: Has anyone tried using the Onkyo DS-A2 or DS-A2x ipod docks. I have been reading up on another forum and it appears that these docks do a poor job on video (e.g. displaying pictures) and have just okay performance for music - the menus and the access of these menus seemingly was the problem. Any feedback?

Yeah, most reviews say it's a bit crappy, but has to be better than what I'm doing now which is to do it all by hand on the iPod.
I have one on the way, can do a small write-up next week once I get it.
post #95 of 5078 Old 10-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwarrior View Post

Interesting write-up on the toroidal transformer. So if I read this correctly, it has a great deal of benefit for Onkyo by providing a smaller size and more efficient package. The only benefit I see to the user is reduced chance for "hum". However, I have not heard anyone in the 876 camp report any "hum" issues and they don't get the toroidal. I think it may well be possible that the toroidal transformer in the 906, while a good thing, may not provide a discernable difference to the user as compared to the 876. Can one of you audio experts clarify what I am missing in my thinking?

I have an 875 (I know, not a xx6), but the 905 was supposed to sport a toroidal tansformer as well and I have never heard a hum from my 875 when running it alone. I did have a ground-loop hum when I ran it with my Sherbourn 7/2100A on certain outlets, but when I switched them all to the same circuit the hum went away--thankfully! FWIW...

creative>energy

post #96 of 5078 Old 10-03-2008, 11:54 AM

the iPod dock is better than using the actual iPod to contol your music, but the GUI leaves something to be desired. I had one and took it back to get the AppleTV, stream all my music from iTunes...Looks just like iTunes (including cover art) but on your tv playing through the 876. About 130.00 more, but you will love it! I dont really use it for much other than streaming music, but you can youtube and rent/download movies and music.
post #97 of 5078 Old 10-03-2008, 12:37 PM

I was all set to pull the trigger on the 876, when the 906 dropped in price to a more palatable $200 difference. Is the 876 missing anything other than the toroidal transformer and network capabilty? I'm still not 100% convinced that it's worth even a $200 difference, but if there are other factors it may be.
post #98 of 5078 Old 10-04-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson1749 View Post

the iPod dock is better than using the actual iPod to contol your music, but the GUI leaves something to be desired. I had one and took it back to get the AppleTV, stream all my music from iTunes...Looks just like iTunes (including cover art) but on your tv playing through the 876. About 130.00 more, but you will love it! I dont really use it for much other than streaming music, but you can youtube and rent/download movies and music.

Just took my first look at the Apple TV device. Its looks good, really good! My only question on this unit was how it would hook up to the sr876. The Apple website info appears to say that the unit would plug directly to your TV via hdmi (alternatively - it nevers says it can hook hdmi to your stereo) then can be heard on your stereo speakers. I would interpret this to mean that Apple would have you connect this device to your tv via hdmi, then use other output (e.g. analog connectors) to the sr876. My hope is...If the Apple TV hooks up via hdmi, component, etc. I would assume one could hook directly to the sr876 via hdmi, then feed video out via hdmi connect to your tv...Correct?!?!
post #99 of 5078 Old 10-04-2008, 10:46 PM

Has anyone interfaced the 876 with a sony bravia TV? does the RHID work with the bravia sync?
post #100 of 5078 Old 10-05-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by torkibe View Post

I was all set to pull the trigger on the 876, when the 906 dropped in price to a more palatable $200 difference. Is the 876 missing anything other than the toroidal transformer and network capabilty? I'm still not 100% convinced that it's worth even a $200 difference, but if there are other factors it may be.

the 906 is also supposed to use bus connectors...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #101 of 5078 Old 10-07-2008, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is there a way to find the correct crossover setting?
According to http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post14464623, Onkyo sets speakers to "Full Band" incorrectly.
Audyssey doesn't "set" the speakers to "Large" or "Small". It measures the -3 dB point of the speakers in the room and reports it to the receiver. The receiver *manufacturer* decides what constitutes a "Large" or "Small" speaker. Onkyo uses 80 Hz. IOW, any speaker that has *any* response below 80 Hz is set to "Full Range", (AKA "Large"). Audyssey actually recommends that they be reset to have a crossover engaged, which is Onkyo's terminology for "Small". When they are first reset off "Full Range", the suggested crossover should come up. You should not reset the crossover below this setting as Audyssey will not correct below the -3 dB point of the speakers. This would involve boosting the levels below the -3 dB point, which could be dangerous to amps and speakers. The crossover can be *raised* and Audyssey will still EQ the entire system. However, it should not be *lowered*.

Audyssey is working with the numbskull's at the manufacturers to get them to change how they determine whether a crossover will be engaged or not. So far, they've convinced Denon to use 40 Hz. Onkyo is a little behind on this one, as are some of the other manufacturers.

I am wondering if the highlighted part above is correct: that if you step away from "Full Band", will it say what crossover setting Audyssey reported?

I am not at home this week so I can't check for myself and the manual doesn't seem to cover it.
post #102 of 5078 Old 10-08-2008, 05:36 AM

Yes the Apple can hook directly into your 876 via HDMI, sound then plays through your stereo, and surround modes if you so choose to. there are 2 versions of the apple...160GB, and 40GB, I chose the 40GB to just stream my music from my computer to the device. I suppose if you have less than 160GB you could just load all of you music to the apple. With the 40GB, you always have to have your iTunes running on your computer for this to work properly. Let me know if you have any further questions.

tyson
post #103 of 5078 Old 10-08-2008, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi to all the 876 owners. I currently have a new 875 within the time window of return/exchange. I have read 90% of the thread on 875 and all of the 876/906 threads. I would like to ask the opinion of the 876/906 owners about how well the dynamic eq+volume function works. On paper it looks great. I also read about it on Audyssey site. I would like to know how well it has been implemented and on a day to day TV watching with commercials how good it is.

It is unlikely that Onkyo would update the 875 with that feature. So, I would like to find out now rather than wishing I had done it.

Thanks in advance.
post #104 of 5078 Old 10-08-2008, 02:15 PM

I came from the 875 to the 876, honestly I dont think that volume function works that great!? I find myself still turning up and down during commercials then back to show.
post #105 of 5078 Old 10-08-2008, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the reply. That helps me in a decision making and takes one factor out.
post #106 of 5078 Old 10-09-2008, 08:44 AM

Has anyone spotted any "official" reviews of the 876 online or elsewhere, for that matter (the only one I've found is from What Hi-Fi? from the UK).

P.
post #107 of 5078 Old 10-09-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Not yet and I've spent time looking; the call of the 876 and 906 is strong. But when we do find one let's hope that it reads more like a hardware evaluation than a wine review.

What the devil did the reviewer mean by "...something of a blunt instrument next to rivals boasting superior agility, clarity and accuracy."

With no apology to those who hear air and transparency, the ne plus ultra of amplifiers is to have no audible artifacts. Speakers, rooms and source material have so great an impact that only a very poorly designed amplifier or one intended to replicate something like the euphonic distortion of vacum tube amps can be heard.

Some information on how he tested would be helpful. What are we to make of "It's still hugely powerful (if not quite as muscular as the company's slightly generous power ratings suggest)...?

Now I recall why I don't bother with the What Hi-Fi reviews.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #108 of 5078 Old 10-09-2008, 09:36 AM

Yes, I found the review at What Hi-Fi somewhat suspect myself, as did the owners who posted replies to the review on the website. I am so ready to buy this thing, I just need ever-so-slightly more convincing by a proper review on this side of the Atlantic to finally commit.

P.
post #109 of 5078 Old 10-09-2008, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Life is short, my 401K is shrinking at a terrible rate, so I just ordered the 906.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #110 of 5078 Old 10-09-2008, 12:39 PM

Running 5.1 config on my 876. Now and then when watching ordinary TV, the sound from my surround speakers gets too loud compared to my center/fronts. Seems like speech which should be heard from the center is sent to the backs instead, and the center is almost muted.

The sound is fed from my HD cable tuner via the coaks. The problem appears both for Neo:6 and PLII. To normalize the sound I have to standby or switch to DVD or a HD channel (with Dolby Digital decoding), and then back again.

Others who have experienced similar??
post #111 of 5078 Old 10-09-2008, 05:37 PM

Got my ONKYO SR876 and connected to my new JBL CS480.
The right front speaker-no sound (:
So I thought maybe speaker problem-tried connecting that speaker
to another output-not a speaker/wire problem-sound comes thru ok.
Tried connecting different speaker to Front Right output-no sound
Called up onkyo-they said reset may help-it did not, then they said
return back to where I got it. The problem is I got it from newegg, and on
their site it says manufacturer warranty only. Not sure what to try/do next

Any input is appreciated.
post #112 of 5078 Old 10-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrutikJr View Post

Call newegg and tell them that it arrived DOA... they may be sympathetic and make an exchange.
post #113 of 5078 Old 10-09-2008, 06:01 PM

If Newegg will not honor the DOA, then notify Onkyo that one of their authorized distributors said they will only honor mfg. to warrant. One or the other must assist. If that does not work, and you bought it on your visa card, call your card member service and put a hold on the charge. That will get Newegg's attention and the visa card service folks will do all the work to resolve the issue. Great tool that visa has.

Rich
post #114 of 5078 Old 10-09-2008, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

A good reason not to buy from NewEgg. They have a long and detailed warranty page and hidden behind a tab on each item page is the coverage for that item. For the 876 it is--

Return Policies
This item is covered by Newegg.com's Manufacturer Warranty.

Return for refund within: non-refundable
Return for replacement within: non-replaceable

It looks as if the OP can only beg Newegg or prepare the item for shipping to an Onkyo service site (at his expense).

-Bertrand Russell
post #115 of 5078 Old 10-09-2008, 06:36 PM

I also ordered from new egg..... I saw their return policy and was skeptical but pulled the trigger anyway. Luckily, my unit doesn't seem to have any major deficiencies. With that return policy, I was disappointed to see that when it was delivered it was not double boxed. Only in the mfg packaging! The styrofoam was pretty cracked up from it's UPS journey... not cool IMO.
post #116 of 5078 Old 10-09-2008, 07:25 PM

Just got mine. Haven't had time to get it going, yet!!!!!!

I feel thin...sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread. I need a holiday...a very long holiday. - Bilbo B.
post #117 of 5078 Old 10-11-2008, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
think I found a bug with the Source setup->Picture Adjust, the set Gamma setting does not take effect until touched again.
1. set Gamma to something, let's say -3 which makes the picture brighter
2. switch input source to something else
3. switch input source back and the picture looks darker again, like the Gamma = 0 setting
4. go into Source Setup->Picture Adjust and Press Enter to view picture
5. scroll down to Gamma and the Gamma setting is still -3 but the picture looks like Gamma is 0.
6. verify by setting Gamma to -2 and the Gamma setting suddenly kicks in and makes the picture brighter.
Tested it with both component and HDMI video sources.
The RGB Brightness/Contrast settings does seem to work as they should, settings remain in effect when switched back.

Can anyone verify/reproduce this?
post #118 of 5078 Old 10-11-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman79 View Post

Just got mine. Haven't had time to get it going, yet!!!!!!

mine too arrives today! Thanks to all in this thread who helped make a purchase decision.
post #119 of 5078 Old 10-11-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrutikJr View Post

I had exactly the same problem. called NewEgg on Monday they emailed me a PREPAID shipping label and RNA number, I returned the unit on Tues, had a replacement unit on Fri which works fine.
Phil
post #120 of 5078 Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prpfeif View Post

I had exactly the same problem. called NewEgg on Monday they emailed me a PREPAID shipping label and RNA number, I returned the unit on Tues, had a replacement unit on Fri which works fine.
Phil

Good to know they will exchange under DOA circumstance. Thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page