Forum Jump: 

post #1741 of 5068 Old 03-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshane View Post

I recently got a Logitech Harmony 1 remote.. I really like this remote, works great and gets rid of all my other remotes. I was wondering if there is a way to press one button to get the temperature reading on the display. Rather than pressing display, standby, then tone. Anyone know a way I could add this to the remote?? Thanks

Do you have to hold down all three buttons at once or do you press them in sequence? If you have to hold them all down, I have no idea how to do that with a Harmony. I don't think it's possible.

But if it's a sequence of buttons, you can do that with a macro. Pick an activity, click on 'customize buttons'. At the bottom left corner there's a button that says 'Add Sequence'. Click that, then you can specify the key presses that you want to happen. Then it'll save the sequence as a new command. Then just assign that command to button; as a soft-button on the screen or a hardwired one, your choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 5068 Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 PM

thanks for the reply.. on the receiver you have to hold down Display for 3 seconds or so, then press standby. Then release those buttons right away and press Tone within 3 seconds. I read about the macro previously and wasn't sure if it was possible to do such a sequence. It would be a bonus if I could program it a button
post #1743 of 5068 Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 PM

Hmmm. I'm not going to claim that I'm a Harmony expert, but I don't think there's a way to do that.

I hope someone more knowledgeable than me chimes in! I'd be curious to see if this is possible.

Good luck.
post #1744 of 5068 Old 03-17-2009, 03:32 AM

Hello, are all the settings in the openingspost also usuable
for my Onkyo PR-SC886?
Thanks for the help
post #1745 of 5068 Old 03-17-2009, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlands View Post

Hello, are all the settings in the openingspost also usuable
for my Onkyo PR-SC886?
Thanks for the help

I had a quick browse through the manual for the PR-SC886 and it looks
like they are about 95% equal...
Everything about Audyssey, video adjustments, THX, listening modes etc are the same.
I noticed it had more bands for the manual equalizer though but
that doesn't matter since we all are using Audyssey, right?
But everything in the first post will probably apply for the PR-SC886 as well.
post #1746 of 5068 Old 03-17-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

I had a quick browse through the manual for the PR-SC886 and it looks
like they are about 95% equal...
Everything about Audyssey, video adjustments, THX, listening modes etc are the same.
I noticed it had more bands for the manual equalizer though but
that doesn't matter since we all are using Audyssey, right?
But everything in the first post will probably apply for the PR-SC886 as well.

Superb i will have a go with the settings, thank you
post #1747 of 5068 Old 03-17-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStig View Post

Do you have to hold down all three buttons at once or do you press them in sequence? If you have to hold them all down, I have no idea how to do that with a Harmony. I don't think it's possible.

But if it's a sequence of buttons, you can do that with a macro. Pick an activity, click on 'customize buttons'. At the bottom left corner there's a button that says 'Add Sequence'. Click that, then you can specify the key presses that you want to happen. Then it'll save the sequence as a new command. Then just assign that command to button; as a soft-button on the screen or a hardwired one, your choice.

It's not exactly a sequence, because the power button is pressed AFTER the display button, but both are pressed at the same time (albeit briefly) before releasing both and then quickly pressing tone (no dilly-dally). Rumor has it though that the Harmony support can create commands by request that would otherwise not exist. I think you just need to call them and ask for their assistance. No guarantees, though.

...the DUDE abides.
post #1748 of 5068 Old 03-17-2009, 08:19 PM

I'll give that a try, thanks
post #1749 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 06:29 AM

I've had the 876 for about a week now and am absolutely loving it. Just waiting for my new B&W CM9s to arrive to really give it a workout!

I do have a quick question though. Has anyone found a way to pass AV thru the HDMI interface while the receiver is in standby mode? I would like to have the option of going from my cable box right thru the 876 to my Pioneer plasma without turning the receiver on for certain TV broadcasts. It really isn't necessary to use all the power of the receiver (up to 9.5A draw) when just watching a news broadcast or a weather report. My wife would feel a lot better about my "investment" if I could show her the ability to use the HT in a bit more of a "green friendly" manner. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Ken
post #1750 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddis78 View Post

I've had the 876 for about a week now and am absolutely loving it. Just waiting for my new B&W CM9s to arrive to really give it a workout!

I do have a quick question though. Has anyone found a way to pass AV thru the HDMI interface while the receiver is in standby mode? I would like to have the option of going from my cable box right thru the 876 to my Pioneer plasma without turning the receiver on for certain TV broadcasts. It really isn't necessary to use all the power of the receiver (up to 9.5A draw) when just watching a news broadcast or a weather report. My wife would feel a lot better about my "investment" if I could show her the ability to use the HT in a bit more of a "green friendly" manner. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Ken

From what I remember you can't do that but maybe someone else can chime in.
post #1751 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 06:47 AM

No way to do that with just the 876.
You could get an active HDMI splitter and have the TV and The 876 receive the TV signal. Then you can chose TV on the splitter and bypass the 876.
Or maybe the cable box can output cable and digital at the same time...in which case you can connect HDMI to the 876 and the coax cable from box to tv and p ut your tv on channel 3 or 4, In this case you would loose HD capability.

QUOTE=Gaddis78;16068358]I've had the 876 for about a week now and am absolutely loving it. Just waiting for my new B&W CM9s to arrive to really give it a workout!

Ken[/quote]
post #1752 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Ken

You will probably need to make a separate connection to your tv, using the component video for hd signal (or s-video for sd signal), plus the analog audio white and red cables.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #1753 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 AM

mrted46, dalumrt & shelly,

Thanks a bunch for the quick responses. I figured that I would have to use some type of splitter but was hoping that I just missed something on the receiver. I think I will order the device listed below & hope it works as advertised.

Ken

hdtvsupply.com/1x4hdsphdand.html

(sorry I cannot post the actual hyperlink as it seems you need at least 3 posts in the forum to do so.)
post #1754 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Thanks a bunch for the quick responses. I figured that I would have to use some type of splitter but was hoping that I just missed something on the receiver. I think I will order the device listed below & hope it works as advertised.

Ken

(sorry I cannot post the actual hyperlink as it seems you need at least 3 posts in the forum to do so.)

Since cable can only output 1080i or less, I use Component + analog audio directly to TV and HDMI to my AVR. Then use another HDMI input from AVR output to TV.

Nice Stuff!
post #1755 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

thanks for the reply.. on the receiver you have to hold down Display for 3 seconds or so, then press standby. Then release those buttons right away and press Tone within 3 seconds. I read about the macro previously and wasn't sure if it was possible to do such a sequence. It would be a bonus if I could program it a button

How does one interprete the display read out after doing this? Is it F or C for temp? I assume fan speed is simply RPM's, not sure about the other text on screen. THANKS, very COOL tip, pun intended!
post #1756 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some feedback which might interest some...

I had the firmware recently updated for my Onkyo TX-SR876
to Main1.05 including DSP1 and I reran Audyssey aftwards since the
DSP update resets everything.

Crossovers, distances and levels were the same or very close to the
same so there was no change there but the sound has improved somehow!

It is not a night and day difference but is more than just subtle!
Hard to describe it but it is a more distinctive/clearer/cleaner/crisper/punchier
sound and when using surround modes, it is a more enveloping surround ambience
post #1757 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

How does one interprete the display read out after doing this? Is it F or C for temp? I assume fan speed is simply RPM's, not sure about the other text on screen. THANKS, very COOL tip, pun intended!

I would also like to know how to interprete the temperature display. I think its measured in C.

I just did the audyssey setup and got these settings for my speaker channels..

F Left -6 DB
Center -7.5 DB
F Right -7 DB
R Left - 6 DB
R Right -11 DB
Subwoofer -15 DB

Do these settings seem right?? I followed the audyssey guide listed on this forum.

In a previous post regarding THX audio setup, the OP said to turn Loudness plus OFF and Preserve THX settings to NO. Does it matter if I change this before or after the audyssey setup??

Which settings is everyone using for movies, tv, gaming???

Thanks
post #1758 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would also like to know how to interprete the temperature display. I think its measured in C.

F Left -6 DB
Center -7.5 DB
F Right -7 DB
R Left - 6 DB
R Right -11 DB
Subwoofer -15 DB

Do these settings seem right?? I followed the audyssey guide listed on this forum.

In a previous post regarding THX audio setup, the OP said to turn Loudness plus OFF and Preserve THX settings to NO. Does it matter if I change this before or after the audyssey setup??

Thanks

It appears that you have the gain knob on your subwoofer set too high. Audyssey has compensated the maximum amount, and even that may not be enough. Dial it down and try again. Repeat until it sets the level calibration for your sub to plus or minus 3db. If you want to do it the easy way, calibrate the sub gain with a sound meter.
post #1759 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 04:43 PM

The only problem you may have with multiple connections is that many cable or satellite boxes will not output component, s-video or composite if you plug into the HDMI output. Cox Cable's Scientific Atlanta box is like this. Once I plug in my HDMI, all other analog outlets(except coax cable carryings tv signal) stop putting out a signal. There is no setting in the cable box to change to make it possible. That is why I suggested the coax cable and channel3 on the TV. The pic quality will suck, because it will not be in HD but you will not have to turn on the 876.
Before you buy anything, connect to both your HDMI and analog from your TV source and see if they work at the same time. You can connect to different inputs directly on the TV and switch back and fort.
Another possible option is to split your cable signal before the cable box. Then connect one to TV directly and the other to the cable box. Ten you can select from the TV either HDMI from the 876 or antenna from the cable. With this option if you TV has a QUAM tuner you will be able to get an HD picture. No HD sound but HD picture. The only disadvantage is that you will not have the cable guide.

If you decide on the splitter here is a much cheaper source with a good return policy.
I read in other forums that these devices work well as long as devices are HDCP compliant

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
or

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton View Post

Since cable can only output 1080i or less, I use Component + analog audio directly to TV and HDMI to my AVR. Then use another HDMI input from AVR output to TV.

post #1760 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

F Left -6 DB
Center -7.5 DB
F Right -7 DB
R Left - 6 DB
R Right -11 DB
Subwoofer -15 DB

Thanks

As Kplex said, your sub is too loud since it is at the min trim level.

You can change THX Loudness and Preserve THX Settings after setup.

For listening modes, 5 Listening Mode Preset, select your favourite listening mode
for each input depending on type of input format, such as these for DVD or CBL/SAT:
Analog/PCM PL IIx Movie (any analog or PCM signal)
Dolby Digital Ultra2 Cinema (any (5.1/6.1) Dolby signal except 2.0)
DTS Ultra2 Cinema (DTS probably not likely for CBL/SAT?)
D.F. 2ch PL IIx Movie (for 2.0 digital sources)
D.F. Mono Mono Movie (for 1.0 digital sources)
post #1761 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 04:56 PM

Gaddis: please see response 1769

Quote:

Ken

post #1762 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 05:32 PM

appreciate the replies.. I do have a radio shack analog spl meter I can use to adjust my SVS PB13 Ultra.. I have the gain set to half way so its not that high. I don't know how to use the spl meter to calibrate.. could someone provide me a link. I really like the Dolby Digital THX Cinema DTS Neo: 6 setting.

I'm kind of in the same situation as a previous poster regarding using the 876 all the time when watching tv. Is there any other options then using an HDMI splitter??

@dalumrt I think you meant 1759
post #1763 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

appreciate the replies.. I do have a radio shack analog spl meter I can use to adjust my SVS PB13 Ultra.. I have the gain set to half way so its not that high. I don't know how to use the spl meter to calibrate.. could someone provide me a link. I really like the Dolby Digital THX Cinema DTS Neo: 6 setting.

I'm kind of in the same situation as a previous poster regarding using the 876 all the time when watching tv. Is there any other options then using an HDMI splitter??

@dalumrt I think you meant 1759

Set your meter to C weighting, slow. Go into the setup, go the level calibration screen, and set the sub level to 0. Then with the test tone playing, adjust the gain knob on your sub until the meter reads 75db from your primary listening position. Then rerun Audyssey.
post #1764 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 06:00 PM

Can anyone give me some advice on how to set up my speaker settings? I know it's a personal preference but I like to know what some of you are setting your speakers to. Like mainly what is your frequency settings for each speaker, the decibels for each speaker. Basically everything in speaker configuration. I like to get the most out of my system. I have Klipsch speakers all around. B3, S2, and 12 inch sub. c2 for center. Can any one post there speaker settings? I would greatly appreciated.
post #1765 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalumrt View Post

The only problem you may have with multiple connections is that many cable or satellite boxes will not output component, s-video or composite if you plug into the HDMI output. Cox Cable's Scientific Atlanta box is like this. Once I plug in my HDMI, all other analog outlets(except coax cable carryings tv signal) stop putting out a signal. There is no setting in the cable box to change to make it possible. That is why I suggested the coax cable and channel3 on the TV. The pic quality will suck, because it will not be in HD but you will not have to turn on the 876.
Before you buy anything, connect to both your HDMI and analog from your TV source and see if they work at the same time. You can connect to different inputs directly on the TV and switch back and fort.
Another possible option is to split your cable signal before the cable box. Then connect one to TV directly and the other to the cable box. Ten you can select from the TV either HDMI from the 876 or antenna from the cable. With this option if you TV has a QUAM tuner you will be able to get an HD picture. No HD sound but HD picture. The only disadvantage is that you will not have the cable guide.

If you decide on the splitter here is a much cheaper source with a good return policy.
I read in other forums that these devices work well as long as devices are HDCP compliant

or

I used this with Comcast and ATT-Uverse and worked fine. HD was HD on all Inputs.

Nice Stuff!
post #1766 of 5068 Old 03-18-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andonakis View Post

Can anyone give me some advice on how to set up my speaker settings? I know it's a personal preference but I like to know what some of you are setting your speakers to. Like mainly what is your frequency settings for each speaker, the decibels for each speaker. Basically everything in speaker configuration. I like to get the most out of my system. I have Klipsch speakers all around. B3, S2, and 12 inch sub. c2 for center. Can any one post there speaker settings? I would greatly appreciated.

Hi andonakis,

This is of preference, for sure.
But your manual does recommend all speakers set to Small, and the x-overs
set at 80hz. Good to set the LFE (.1) channel at 120hz.
This is an excellent starting point, as recommended by THX.

You can also let Audyssey choose for you, and then adjust to your own preference. It also depends of the bass capability of your speakers. Let Audyssey take care of the levels too, and delays. Audyssey is pretty good on these.

Also, I will suggest that you read more from the beginning of this thread, and also in the 805, 905 and 906 threads for more speaker setups by various members. Also check
Audyssey Setup Guide, in the official Audyssey thread, post #5701, page 191.

In the end, it is a personal choice.

Cheers,

______
Bob
post #1767 of 5068 Old 03-19-2009, 07:03 AM

Thanks Bob I will check it out
post #1768 of 5068 Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 AM

dalumrt,

Just wanted to test my understanding here....I assume that one of the hdmi splitters that you recommended (unfortunately out of stock until April) connected from the output of my cable box going to both my receiver and my TV will allow me to watch in HD resolution, provide audio to the TV and keep the cable guide functionality in tact? I really would like to avoid going with component, composite or s-video if possible for all the reasons that you already noted. Thanks!

Ken

Quote:

post #1769 of 5068 Old 03-19-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post

Hi andonakis,

This is of preference, for sure.
But your manual does recommend all speakers set to Small, and the x-overs
set at 80hz. Good to set the LFE (.1) channel at 120hz.
This is an excellent starting point, as recommended by THX.

You can also let Audyssey choose for you, and then adjust to your own preference. It also depends of the bass capability of your speakers. Let Audyssey take care of the levels too, and delays. Audyssey is pretty good on these.

Also, I will suggest that you read more from the beginning of this thread, and also in the 805, 905 and 906 threads for more speaker setups by various members. Also check
Audyssey Setup Guide, in the official Audyssey thread, post #5701, page 191.

In the end, it is a personal choice.

Cheers,

______
Bob

That was the guide I used as well.. I have klipsch speakers also. RF-82 fronts, RC-62 center, RS-52 Surrounds.

In speaker Config 2-2 My fronts are set to Full Band, Center and surrounds are at 80Hz THX and I changed the LFE to 120 Hz and DoubleBass is OFF. Should I set my fronts to 80Hz as well and is it ok to change LFE to 120 Hz. I am pretty sure it said to do that.

How do I set all my speakers to small?? Kind of confused about that.

I will rerun audyssey thanks for the tip kplex

Thanks,

Shane
post #1770 of 5068 Old 03-19-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was the guide I used as well.. I have klipsch speakers also. RF-82 fronts, RC-62 center, RS-52 Surrounds.

In speaker Config 2-2 My fronts are set to Full Band, Center and surrounds are at 80Hz THX and I changed the LFE to 120 Hz and DoubleBass is OFF. Should I set my fronts to 80Hz as well and is it ok to change LFE to 120 Hz. I am pretty sure it said to do that.

How do I set all my speakers to small?? Kind of confused about that.

I will rerun audyssey thanks for the tip kplex

Thanks,

Shane

Large = Full Band
Small = any numeric crossover value

LFE of 120 is fine although you probably won't hear any difference. If you happen to pick up a hum, set it back to 80.

Try your fronts at 80 and see if you like it better than full band. You could also try them at 40 or 60.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page