1Likes

post #1801 of 5107 Old 03-20-2009, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalumrt View Post

Try reselecting the input on your display. I found a very few times the HDMI handshake between the disply and the 876 doesnt connect. cycling through to reselect the HDMI input on th TV will work.

the onkyo menu is being displayed on my monitor. I am having problems getting the 876 to show a signal on the hdmi input. any ideas? i.e "no signal" is being displayed on the front of the units display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 5107 Old 03-20-2009, 03:57 PM

I have finally got a picture coming through but it seems to be showing up as 30 bit rather than the usual 36 bit being displayed on my pioneer krp from my bd30?

any ideas?
post #1803 of 5107 Old 03-20-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalumrt View Post

Hey Guys: I've read about people adding external fans to the 876, some people have added multiple fans to keep things cooler. I did not want to chime in because I did not want to appear to be ignorant, but I don't' get the obsession some people have with heat. I understand that heat could deteriorate electronics and people mentioned that keeping it cooler will extend the life to over a decade. If this is true, isn't this a whole lot of trouble to extend the life of a receiver for decades, when in a couple of years this receiver will become obsolete and most of us will be replacing it anyway?
Why it is that Onkyo did not design the receiver to include an internal fan for the video processor if indeed it gets too hot. . I have had this receiver operating for many, many hours at a time on numerous occasions with the processor in operation (watching DVD's most a day and into the night). Yes it gets hot to the touch, but so do my cable box and my computer. Don't all processor get hot? I have an old AKAI receiver in my basement that after a few minutes of operation will literally burn you if you touch the top, yet its still working after over 20 years.
Then I question the effectiveness of fans blowing air on the outside of the case Aren't the fans only cooling the receiver case? The heat you feel on the case is being transferred via conduction from the processor. The temp you see in the display is only the temperature of the power amp, not the processor. So how do you guys know that you are actually cooling the processor? Just because you are cooling the case and it feels cooler, doesn't mean the processing chip is getting cooled. I could understand the guy that actually opened the case and mounted a fan directly blowing on the chip, but I cannot understand cooling the case. I could see if the receiver is mounted in closed quarters. Am I missing something? I though fan were used in rack mounted components because they are all close together in a poor circulation environment. Can someone shed some light on this for me? I am not trying to be a smart ass or anything like that, I truly want to understand the issue and if a legitimate explanation can be provided, I will gladly join the fan club. I love tinkering with things, but I like to be able to accomplish something when I do. Thanks

My fans blow the heat away from the onkyo, its in a cabinet. So it gets quite hot fast without any fans. When I put the fans on it stays about 10-15 C cooler and takes longer for it to reach a higher temp. The fans were only 10 bux each, definately worth it IMO to prolong the life of this pricey unit. If I had an open style tv stand I don't think I would be too concerned about putting fans on it. It all comes down to your setup I guess. Some people have mentioned that the unit shuts off after getting to hot. I played it safe and added a few fans, wasn't that much trouble to wire a few fans up.. it was kind of fun and turned out quite nice. Looks like it was meant for the 876, I should slap an onkyo sticker on there
post #1804 of 5107 Old 03-21-2009, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usman24 View Post

I have finally got a picture coming through but it seems to be showing up as 30 bit rather than the usual 36 bit being displayed on my pioneer krp from my bd30?

any ideas?

Yes, turn the OSD Immediate Display OFF.
post #1805 of 5107 Old 03-21-2009, 04:29 AM

I have tried to follow the guide to view Firmware/DSp on my TX-SR876. I get as far as displaying 87 1.01/08801A but I can not seem to view and toggle through the DSP versions using the tone buttons. I must be missing something?

"Firmware
On the front panel, press 'DISPLAY' and 'Standby' to display the main firmware:
Main 1.00/08703A (latest: 1.05 / 09116A)
then press the arrows buttons below the 'Tone' button repeatedly to go through the other versions:
DSP 1st SR9061 08611A (latest: 08919A)
DSP 2st SR9062 08605C
DSP 3rd SR9063 08506A
HDMI: 1.00/08627A
VIDEO 08703E01293"
post #1806 of 5107 Old 03-21-2009, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedee View Post

I have tried to follow the guide to view Firmware/DSp on my TX-SR876. I get as far as displaying 87 1.01/08801A but I can not seem to view and toggle through the DSP versions using the tone buttons. I must be missing something?

"Firmware
On the front panel, press 'DISPLAY' and 'Standby' to display the main firmware:
Main 1.00/08703A (latest: 1.05 / 09116A)
then press the arrows buttons below the 'Tone' button repeatedly to go through the other versions:
DSP 1st SR9061 08611A (latest: 08919A)
DSP 2st SR9062 08605C
DSP 3rd SR9063 08506A
HDMI: 1.00/08627A
VIDEO 08703E01293"

It is the arrow button BELOW the 'Tone' button... marked red in the picture.
LL
post #1807 of 5107 Old 03-21-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

It is the arrow button BELOW the 'Tone' button... marked red in the picture.

Thanks. I knew that but my problem was I was not releasing from the Display and Standby buttons. Daft me.
post #1808 of 5107 Old 03-21-2009, 11:49 AM

I checked my fw and all of them are up to date except for the main which is on fw 1.01. What are the differences or updates from 1.01 to 1.05??

Updating the fw seems fairly easy.. has anyone ran into any problems and had warranty issues cause of this??

After updating the fw, does it reset everything and will I have to run audyssey again??

rickardl, thanks for post#1.. lots of great info.
post #1809 of 5107 Old 03-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshane View Post

I checked my fw and all of them are up to date except for the main which is on fw 1.01. What are the differences or updates from 1.01 to 1.05??

Updating the fw seems fairly easy.. has anyone ran into any problems and had warranty issues cause of this??

After updating the fw, does it reset everything and will I have to run audyssey again??

rickardl, thanks for post#1.. lots of great info.

Gamma bug is fixed (which I found exceedingly helpful). It will not reset your audyssey, but some have said that running audyssey after the 1.05 update yields an even better result. I have yet to re-run audyssey though. Give it a shot. If for no other reason than to know that you are getting the "most" out of your 876.

...the DUDE abides.
post #1810 of 5107 Old 03-22-2009, 09:59 AM

While specific prices cannot be discussed on this forum, those looking for a great new lower price should go to Newegg!
post #1811 of 5107 Old 03-22-2009, 10:19 AM

Howdy. I've had my 876 for 4 days and am absolutely loving it with the exception of ONE THING.

I have my "listening mode preset" for my CD player (connected via Toslink) set to analog/PCM --> DPLII Music.

Strangely, when I power-up the 876 and select "CD" as my source, the 876 automatically selects DTS T-D as the default listening mode. As soon as I begin PCM playback on the CD player, the mode switches to DPLII, but NOT before there's a delay in the 876, causing an audio dropout -- the first 0.5sec of a track is not heard as the 876 ID's the signal and switches to the preset listening mode.

HOW do I get rid of the DTS T-D default when the 876 powers up while still utilizing a Toslink connection? When I put the 876 audio selector into analog, the unit powers-up in DPLII mode and there's no delay when beginning playback. All well and good, but I want to use the DACs in the 876, not in my CD player.

I've spent an hour+ on trying to figure this out, and am humiliated in my failure to find the solution. Please help.
post #1812 of 5107 Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 AM

Quite impressed with the sound on this receiver. Do have a question though -- when listening to Kung Fu Panda, the best sound I got was when setting the receiver to Dolby HD which, based on the Dolby HD 5.1 track utilized on the disc, didn't allow me to take advantage of the 7.1 setup I have. Using any of the other settings that used the 7.1 speakers (Ultra THX, PLIIx, etc.) just didn't have the same effect as there seemed to be some detail missing.

Do these other formats "overlay" on top of Dolby HD or do they completely alter the sound? What is the best option(Ultra THX, etc.) on formats such as the lossless 5.1 tracks on Blu-Ray that would allow me to use all 7.1 speakers? Appreciate any advice/suggestions.
post #1813 of 5107 Old 03-22-2009, 12:45 PM

I'm having a hard time finding a RS232 USB cable thats compatible with vista 64. I have access to a laptop with xp, would it be ok to use this to upgrade my fw??

@RBats I read your post in the audyssey thread.. what exactly is the 1' - 2' pattern that you were talking about??
post #1814 of 5107 Old 03-22-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm having a hard time finding a RS232 USB cable thats compatible with vista 64. I have access to a laptop with xp, would it be ok to use this to upgrade my fw??

Laptop (IBM Thinkpad T60) with XP worked fine for me
post #1815 of 5107 Old 03-22-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makelegs View Post

Gamma bug is fixed (which I found exceedingly helpful). It will not reset your audyssey, but some have said that running audyssey after the 1.05 update yields an even better result. I have yet to re-run audyssey though. Give it a shot. If for no other reason than to know that you are getting the "most" out of your 876.

I would recommend the DSP1 update as well.
It fixes the DTS "bomb" issue.
I am not sure if it brings anything else to the table.
After that update, every setting is reset and you have to re-run Audyssey.
post #1816 of 5107 Old 03-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:

I would recommend the DSP1 update as well.
It fixes the DTS "bomb" issue.
I am not sure if it brings anything else to the table.
After that update, every setting is reset and you have to re-run Audyssey.

Ricardl, as I mentioned before it does not fix the DSD garbage issue at the start of newly inserted SACDs for me. I had also reported earlier that I thought the new firmware (1.05) fixed some double images under certain DVD playback situations, but I now see the problem sporadically reoccurring (but it seems less so than before).

The reason I mention these things is hopefully to keep them at the forefront of possible future fixes - if others happen to see the same issues...
post #1817 of 5107 Old 03-22-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmack View Post

Ricardl, as I mentioned before it does not fix the DSD garbage issue at the start of newly inserted SACDs for me. I had also reported earlier that I thought the new firmware (1.05) fixed some double images under certain DVD playback situations, but I now see the problem sporadically reoccurring (but it seems less so than before).

The DSP1 update is fixes the DTS "bomb" issue with blu-ray DTS-MA tracks.
Too bad that your SACD/DSD problem remains, even with DSP1/Main 1.05.
post #1818 of 5107 Old 03-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:

@RBats I read your post in the audyssey thread.. what exactly is the 1' - 2' pattern that you were talking about??

The details of the 1' - 2' pattern are earlier in the audyssey thread. Try this link for example http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post15995929
post #1819 of 5107 Old 03-23-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:

This cable will work just fine, and the price is right.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback
post #1820 of 5107 Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celbsolstice View Post

This cable will work just fine, and the price is right.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

Anyone been able to connect a MacPro tower using this cable or any cable to a 906 to do firmware updates? I can BOOT and run Windows XP from my tower, but it has NO RS232 connector on tower to interface with Onkyo 906, I assume they use this OLD connector not found on too many computers these days, to make it even more difficult to do home updates, and I know how we all feel about this, and carrying the 60 pound unit to an Onkyo service center!
post #1821 of 5107 Old 03-23-2009, 10:09 AM

Great.. thanks for the tips
post #1822 of 5107 Old 03-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

Anyone been able to connect a MacPro tower using this cable or any cable to a 906 to do firmware updates? I can BOOT and run Windows XP from my tower, but it has NO RS232 connector on tower to interface with Onkyo 906, I assume they use this OLD connector not found on too many computers these days, to make it even more difficult to do home updates, and I know how we all feel about this, and carrying the 60 pound unit to an Onkyo service center!

This cable is a USB to RS 232. RS 232 connects at the receiver and usb to computer. Not sure if it will work with your mac setup, but I thought I read somwhere that it did.
post #1823 of 5107 Old 03-24-2009, 01:51 AM

I have read through countless posts (because im too lazy to count them ) and i have a question. I am buying a house. I plan on using my second hdmi output running to a projector on my deck by my pool. I know i cannot use this at the same time as the main hdmi out in my living room.

My question is about using zone two to control two outdoor speakers on the deck. Will sound over hdmi (ie everything i have hooked up to the onkyo) inputs be output to zone two. Some say no and some say yes. I am hoping yes. if not i guess i can just run rca cables to unused inputs and select the zone two source that way.
post #1824 of 5107 Old 03-24-2009, 01:51 AM

I just got my 876 and I've been trying to get this thing to work. From factory reset settings / fresh out of the box, I've set the monitor to "HDMI main", and set my HD DVR to use HDMI input 1. I haven't touched anything else. Regular SD channels work fine, however as soon as I go to a HD channel I get no picture ( just sound). I've also tried my PS3, and my HDMI enabled computer, and all get no sound / picture. However without the receiver in the way (eg direct connect the device to a HDMI switch, and then the switch to the display device I have no problems at all)
The on screen display works. And I have used two 1080p display devices (projector and LCD tv) with both the same results. So is this a defective receiver, or am I missing something in the setup, or is it finicky with the cables I am using (they are several years old but worked perfectly with 1080p signals before).

I even tried factory resetting it, and same results.

Thanks!
post #1825 of 5107 Old 03-24-2009, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achangb View Post

I just got my 876 and I've been trying to get this thing to work. From factory reset settings / fresh out of the box, I've set the monitor to "HDMI main", and set my HD DVR to use HDMI input 1. I haven't touched anything else. Regular SD channels work fine, however as soon as I go to a HD channel I get no picture ( just sound). I've also tried my PS3, and my HDMI enabled computer, and all get no sound / picture. However without the receiver in the way (eg direct connect the device to a HDMI switch, and then the switch to the display device I have no problems at all)
The on screen display works. And I have used two 1080p display devices (projector and LCD tv) with both the same results. So is this a defective receiver, or am I missing something in the setup, or is it finicky with the cables I am using (they are several years old but worked perfectly with 1080p signals before).

I even tried factory resetting it, and same results.

Thanks!

In HDMI Input, have you assigned HDMI1 to whatever Input you are trying to use?
(so there is no "---" for that input)
Have you tried the changing the RESOLUTION for Monitor Out->HDMI Main
to Through, Auto, 480p, ... 1080p? (you need to exit the OSD GUI for the
change to take effect)
What input is your receiver is getting? Press down 'DISPLAY' on the front panel until it shows
1) the sound format, such as Dolby Digital 5.1, and then
2) the input and output video resolution, such as 1080i/50 -> 1080p/50
Have you tried taking the HDMI switch out of the loop?
post #1826 of 5107 Old 03-24-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:

In HDMI Input, have you assigned HDMI1 to whatever Input you are trying to use?
(so there is no "---" for that input)
Have you tried the changing the RESOLUTION for Monitor Out->HDMI Main
to Through, Auto, 480p, ... 1080p? (you need to exit the OSD GUI for the
change to take effect)
What input is your receiver is getting? Press down 'DISPLAY' on the front panel until it shows
1) the sound format, such as Dolby Digital 5.1, and then
2) the input and output video resolution, such as 1080i/50 -> 1080p/50
Have you tried taking the HDMI switch out of the loop?

OK I did a bit of troubleshooting.
With a 480p signal from my HD PVR, the receiver works fine passing along the signal. I can increase the resolution to 720p, and it still passes it along. At 1080i, no picture, only sound. This is also what happens when I use 1080i.
I would like to add, that my cables are 6ft and 9ft long, and I have tested using a bunch of 6ft cables and same results. The unit has only been on for a few minutes each time, so its hard to blame heat, unless something is wrong internally with the unit.

However when I change to a HD signal from my pvr (1080i) I only get sound and no picture. The funny thing is, is when I first turn the receiver on, everything works normally. If I switch to another output (any output, even one that has nothing connected), and switch back, I lose all my HD signal input capabilities.

The display shows what I expect, eg when HDMI monitor resolution is set to through, a 1080i/60 signal -> 1080i / 60. When HDMI monitor resolution is set to 720p, a 480p signal -> 720p/60.

I also tried setting the HDMI monitor resolution to through, then adjusting the resolutions manually with my PS3. At first, 480p and 720p worked, but changing the input and back now only 480p mode works.

I am thinking either a defective unit, or I need new cables. But its strange that the cables work fine when connected directly or through my switch. All my testing has been without the switch.
post #1827 of 5107 Old 03-24-2009, 03:54 PM

I am selecting a new AVS reciever. After reading this Thread it seems that the SR876 will meet all of my functionality and performance requirements. My remaining questions concern the compatibility of the SR876 with other components.

I have a Samsung LCD LN46A650 HDTV and am using a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC DVR for Comcast HDTV. My plan is to connect these to the SR876 via HDMI.

Is anyone having any compatibility issues using these devices with the SR876?

Thanks and thank you all for the valuable information provided in this Thread.
post #1828 of 5107 Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by achangb View Post

OK I did a bit of troubleshooting.
With a 480p signal from my HD PVR, the receiver works fine passing along the signal. I can increase the resolution to 720p, and it still passes it along. At 1080i, no picture, only sound. This is also what happens when I use 1080i.
I would like to add, that my cables are 6ft and 9ft long, and I have tested using a bunch of 6ft cables and same results. The unit has only been on for a few minutes each time, so its hard to blame heat, unless something is wrong internally with the unit.

However when I change to a HD signal from my pvr (1080i) I only get sound and no picture. The funny thing is, is when I first turn the receiver on, everything works normally. If I switch to another output (any output, even one that has nothing connected), and switch back, I lose all my HD signal input capabilities.

The display shows what I expect, eg when HDMI monitor resolution is set to through, a 1080i/60 signal -> 1080i / 60. When HDMI monitor resolution is set to 720p, a 480p signal -> 720p/60.

I also tried setting the HDMI monitor resolution to through, then adjusting the resolutions manually with my PS3. At first, 480p and 720p worked, but changing the input and back now only 480p mode works.

I am thinking either a defective unit, or I need new cables. But its strange that the cables work fine when connected directly or through my switch. All my testing has been without the switch.

Are you sure that you have the hdmi out setting on Main and not Sub or analog? The button to toggle through these is under the drop down panel on the front of the 876, top row just left of center.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #1829 of 5107 Old 03-24-2009, 07:39 PM

Anyone having issues with FOXHD channel, I am getting lots of choppy looking pixels everywhere and audio drop out like crazy. I have a motorola dct6416 with hdmi. All the other hd channels are fine. The tv upstairs has component to the cable box and that HD channel is fine.
post #1830 of 5107 Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 AM

Last night I joined the club of Onkyo 876 lovers!!! Absolutely love the quality of this avr - very happy indeed with this purchase. Thanks to these posts and a quick read through the manual I was able to get everything connected last night (although further Audyssey tweaking will happen this weekend) except for my Xbox 360. I have the non-hdmi version in my theater room and couldn't seem to get any picture last night via component. Everything else I connected via hdmi in and hdmi out worked. Also, i tried connecting my directv box via component in hdmi out and it worked as expected. Any ideas why my xbox isn't showing a pic? Connected to my old receiver worked fine component in component out... Thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page