The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR876 Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 5107 Old 10-26-2008, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Did any of you read the What Hifi review of the 876 ? I think the reviewer is full of it but I would be interested to know what you guys think.

Apparently a much cheaper Yamaha receiver is more fun to listen to. Go figure. I just received my Onkyo 876, haven't opened it up yet. It has replaced an ancient Yamaha RXV-450 receiver.

Regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5107 Old 10-26-2008, 06:48 PM

Liked: 10
can you send the link to the review? I'm contemplating buying the 876 and have been waiting on reviews.....thanks!
post #183 of 5107 Old 10-26-2008, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The review, is a serious bit of fluff or fluffy crap or crappy fluff; the kind you write because your site gave the 875 a great review and you need to say something different.

What's wrong with 876? "Not as articulate, detailed or accurate as the new class best." What does that mean? Who the devil knows? But I can try to put in plain English the reviewer says--

Not as (able to express thoughts, ideas, or feelings coherently, not spoken or expressed clearly), (including all or many of the distinguishing features of something) or (giving a correct or truthful representation of something) or (precise or free from errors) as the new class (highest quality or standard that somebody or something is capable of).

Really? And he or she or they actually can hear this?

Read the review and ignore it.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #184 of 5107 Old 10-26-2008, 09:03 PM

With the onkyo, is there a mode to run the front speakers and the sub?

I have an ipod hooked up via a 1/8'' to rca and the sound is incredibly flat, not sure if the sub would help.
post #185 of 5107 Old 10-26-2008, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by expresse9 View Post

With the onkyo, is there a mode to run the front speakers and the sub?

I have an ipod hooked up via a 1/8'' to rca and the sound is incredibly flat, not sure if the sub would help.

What is you basis of comparison? For example is it the same speakers/room/listening setup, but with the Onkyo in place of something else? If the speakers/room are the same did you have any EQ applied with the former receiver?

Is bass OK with movies and CDs?

Have you run the Audyessy setup and do you have MultiEQ and Dynamic engaged?

But the short answer is yes of course the sub will work with ordinary stereo, although depending on the crossover set and the kind of music to listen to, there may not be much for the sub to do.

If your mains have good bottom end you can engage Double Bass and that might help.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #186 of 5107 Old 10-27-2008, 06:06 AM

The bass sounds great with other sources, I'm just wondering if it's impossible to get good sound from an ipod because of the compression in the audio involved. My car has a dock, with the sound coming from the bottom port, and that seems to sound flat as well.

I tried adding the bass, but it just doesn't seem to have the range of sound.
post #187 of 5107 Old 10-27-2008, 07:41 AM

Liked: 16
Hi, I currently have the 805 but really want the new features on the 876. Ordered today and I hope I made right choice. I think this is much better than the 806 and as good or better than the 805! Of course I will hold on to my 805 until I'm sure the 876 is a keeper or not.
Any thoughts?

Bill
post #188 of 5107 Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The bass sounds great with other sources, I'm just wondering if it's impossible to get good sound from an ipod because of the compression in the audio involved. My car has a dock, with the sound coming from the bottom port, and that seems to sound flat as well.

I tried adding the bass, but it just doesn't seem to have the range of sound.

IThe fidelity of MP3 files does vary with the degree of compression and it can be audible, but I don't think that is the problem.

I don't own an ipod but if you are not using a dock I wondered if you were connecting using the headphone jack. That raised the possibility of an output/input impedance mismatch which could effect the response curve. Onto Google and sure enough I found this- (edit: giving it some thought this might not be the issue given the 47kOhm input impedance of the 876/906.)

Bass response
The third generation iPod had a weak bass response, as shown in audio tests.[36][37] The combination of the undersized DC-blocking capacitors and the typical low-impedance of most consumer headphones form a high-pass filter, which attenuates the low-frequency bass output. Similar capacitors were used in the fourth generation iPods.[38] The problem is reduced when using high-impedance headphones and is completely masked when driving high-impedance (line level) loads, such as an external headphone amplifier. The first generation iPod Shuffle uses a dual-transistor output stage,[36] rather than a single capacitor-coupled output, and does not exhibit reduced bass response for any load.

-Bertrand Russell
post #189 of 5107 Old 10-27-2008, 04:12 PM

Good info Trekguy, however I still wonder if it's the bandwith of my connection-like perhaps it's just not able to carry the sound over such a small cable. These are not compressed mp3's, but I have tried using a 4th gen video ipod and 5th gen? itouch and the results seem to be the same-flat sound through semi-decent audio equipment. I have used the dock and the microphone jack for both of these.

The headphones do show an improvement, but it seems harder to accurately evaluate sound when it's right in your ear bud.

I also own an imac, and their is no suitable audio-out on this piece of equipment either. Their equipment is really driven towards the consumer, but I guess you have to get the pro stuff to get high-quality sound.

For now, I'm just burning cd's and taking them with.
post #190 of 5107 Old 10-27-2008, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... however I still wonder if it's the bandwith of my connection-like perhaps it's just not able to carry the sound over such a small cable.

Unless there is something really off with your cable it is not that. The smallest guage wire that you own will carry the full audio frequency range, and at line level the full voltage swing. Audio interconnects carry very little current and can be quite thin or quite long before something bad happens.

Quote:

These are not compressed mp3's, but I have tried using a 4th gen video ipod and 5th gen? itouch and the results seem to be the same-flat sound through semi-decent audio equipment.

I don't keep up with this but I think that all MP3 files are the product of a lossy compresion process. ACC is better and WAV better still, but if you're ripping it and the end file is smaller than the original it is compressed.[/quote]

Quote:

The headphones do show an improvement, but it seems harder to accurately evaluate sound when it's right in your ear bud.

Headphones do increase percieved bass because of the close coupling to you ear. But with most headphones, especially with buds, it is mid bass that you hear and not the lower harmonics of the bass drum or the piano.

Field Test--

I borrowed my wife's Zune (loaded with ripped CDs) and dock and plugged it into the front Aux2 input on the 906. I used the included audio patch cord (which seemed well made).

I immediatley noticed a drop in volume and raising the volume level on the Zune to the max it was still lower than I would have expected.

So I cranked the gain on the 906 to -5 dB (usually it is at -25 or so) and found the sound to be lacking in bass. I switched to the rip of a Telarc CD and it was "flat". The bass drum was there but it lacked bottom, almost as if there was a filter in place at about 80 Hz.

I listened to the CD itself and it was much more dynamic, a greater range and more punch in the bottom octaves.

A number of people on the web are saying things like this--

To create an MP3, a computer samples the music on a CD and compresses it into a smaller file by excluding the musical information that the human ear is less likely to notice. Much of the information left out is at the very high and low ends, which is why some MP3s sound flat. Cavallo says that MP3s don't reproduce reverb well, and the lack of high-end detail makes them sound brittle. Without enough low end, he says, "you don't get the punch anymore. It decreases the punch of the kick drum and how the speaker gets pushed when the guitarist plays a power chord."

I am inclined to think that this is not a 906 issue.

-Bertrand Russell
post #191 of 5107 Old 10-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt View Post

Hi, I currently have the 805 but really want the new features on the 876. Ordered today and I hope I made right choice. I think this is much better than the 806 and as good or better than the 805! Of course I will hold on to my 805 until I'm sure the 876 is a keeper or not.
Any thoughts?

Sell the 805. Just do it and don't look back.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #192 of 5107 Old 10-27-2008, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Helpful people, as far as the individual input settings go, how should I set it up? From what I've been able to tell, you can set each input source resolution, AND you can set the HDMI output resolution. I have DVD, DirecTv HD DVR, and PS3 input via HDMI, and I have XBOX 360 input via component. What should I do for settings? What good is it? If you have the receiver set to output whatever signal to 1080P via HDMI out, what difference does the input settings make?

Also, I've read that the THX modes use Loudness Plus only at volumes less than reference level (0, on the receiver) to compensate for lost dynamics (which makes sense). However, "THX Cinema" does crazy things to my sub with the 'copter blades at the beginning of the 2nd chapter of the "Transformers" Blu-ray (the scene where where the Decepticon flies into the military base and kicks butt)!!! If I go to "Direct", it sounds great - at the same volume level.

Any input, people? Thanks, in advance

I feel thin...sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread. I need a holiday...a very long holiday. - Bilbo B.
post #193 of 5107 Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 PM

Good points Trekguy, it just takes some of the fun out of taking your music with you considering the music is cut down so much. It's definitely not an issue with the receiver, I own an 875 and am very impressed by the sound on all qualities.

I have tried similar tests in my car, which has an Audi symphony bose system (generally ugh, but they did a decent job). It's nice to have the selection of music but it's missing the top end and bottom end. I suppose depending on the quality of the system, you might never miss that. Or maybe it just sounds tinny on the top end.

On a similar note, I had the same experience with XM Satelite radio--which is why I canceled the service. I believe this is compressed as well, similar to the HD radio channels that use more compression depending on how many times the station is split.
post #194 of 5107 Old 10-27-2008, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman79 View Post

Helpful people, as far as the individual input settings go, how should I set it up? From what I've been able to tell, you can set each input source resolution, AND you can set the HDMI output resolution. I have DVD, DirecTv HD DVR, and PS3 input via HDMI, and I have XBOX 360 input via component. What should I do for settings? What good is it? If you have the receiver set to output whatever signal to 1080P via HDMI out, what difference does the input settings make?

If nothing else the choice you make in menu 1-1 for HDMI out resolution will determine how 4x3 material is handled (stetch, side bars or window boxed) and perhaps whether or not your display can apply use its on board aspect choices. You also get choices about where and what video processing takes place, not just scaling and de or re-interlacing but color processing. There is a lot of info in connection flow diagrams and notes. So if you select 1080p it will be different than if you use Source or Through.

Quote:

Also, I've read that the THX modes use Loudness Plus only at volumes less than reference level (0, on the receiver) to compensate for lost dynamics (which makes sense). However, "THX Cinema" does crazy things to my sub with the 'copter blades at the beginning of the 2nd chapter of the "Transformers" Blu-ray (the scene where where the Decepticon flies into the military base and kicks butt)!!! If I go to "Direct", it sounds great - at the same volume level.

I'll have to give that mode a listen. Blackhawk Down "Irene" might do it. What mode are you using with the THX Cinema, PLIIx or one of the THX modes?

Is the LFE level too high? Too much boost at some frequency? Is your sub hitting its mechanical limits or pehaps giving the well known flub, flub display of large cone movement.

-Bertrand Russell
post #195 of 5107 Old 10-28-2008, 06:31 AM

Any one having crackeling coming from either of your surr back speakers? My left surr back is cracking...thought it was blown and hooked it to another unit and it works fine. Seems to only do this when viewing DirecTV. Any thoughts would be great. This makes me think that it has to be a source issue? Thanks
post #196 of 5107 Old 10-28-2008, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Just ordered last night. Was going to do the emotiva umc1 but went with the onkyo for Reon, Burr Brown, THX ultra 2 plus and HD Radio. I was disappointed that emotiva went with a lower end multi channel dac and video processor. I hope the onkyo lives up to all the good things I have heard about it Only problem is I mail ordered and have to wait. Should be a major step up from my onkyo 787
post #197 of 5107 Old 10-28-2008, 04:34 PM

I unpacked the receiver today and quickly connected it up. I have not calibrated my system but I can already tell that the sound quality has improved dramatically. I am upgrading from a Yamaha RXV-450 so I should expect an improvement.

Just a few questions. There is a clicking sound whenever I change sources connected to the receiver. Is that normal ? It is a bit frustrating at the moment. Otherwise first impressions although short are very high. I'll post a more thorough review later on in the week.

Regards,
post #198 of 5107 Old 10-28-2008, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The clicking sounds are normal.
post #199 of 5107 Old 10-28-2008, 05:18 PM

Is it something that can be fixed via firmware ? Or is it permanent and nothing can change it ? If the latter I'll be pretty disappointed.

Regards,
post #200 of 5107 Old 10-28-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

The sound of not so distant relays?

I agree that it is a normal sound and not something to worry about. It is not an Onkyo exclusive, in fact its fairly common, and I bet you will not even notice it after a time or when there is other noise such as someone talking.

I suspect that this is done to silence the amplifier when changes occur so as to avoid some of the noise that that is sometimes generated when processing has to change.

Could yours be exceptionally loud? My trusty RS SPL shows a noise level at the listening spot of 53 dB. Six inches from the 906 fan noise from the DVR raised the level to 55/56 dB. Cycling the power (the loudest control) produced a very brief peak of 68 dB (C weighted, fast, max).

-Bertrand Russell
post #201 of 5107 Old 10-28-2008, 11:09 PM

I currently have a full set of Magnepan's that I'd like to run - 1.6 fronts, center and rears with a powered Velodyne sub. Will the Maggies bring the 876 to its knees or does it have the balls to fend off the power hungry monsters? I'm using a very old Adcom GFA 7000 to power them currently. I need to upgrade my Outlaw preamp to something that has HDMI so I was hoping to consolidate.

TIA
post #202 of 5107 Old 10-29-2008, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

From what I've read, you need a solid 200W8ohm/300W4ohm RMSallchannels driven type amp to power 1.6's -- keep your amp and use one of the many HDMI capable receivers as a prepro -- a Yamaha 663 lists for only $499 -- or wait for the fortcoming Emotiva prepros or the forthcoming Outlaw prepro with Trinnov -- or spend more if your budget allows.
post #203 of 5107 Old 10-29-2008, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
so how does the pass through of video work on the 876; is this a global setting as in 875? or can specific inputs be selected for the pass through?
post #204 of 5107 Old 10-29-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View Post

so how does the pass through of video work on the 876; is this a global setting as in 875? or can specific inputs be selected for the pass through?

There is a helpful explanation at the beginning of pg 94 of the manual under Monitor Out. In brief selecting "Source" for resolution will output whatever resolution was selected under the Source Picture Adjust menu.

In Source Picture Adjust -resolution can be set differently for each input source.

-Bertrand Russell
post #205 of 5107 Old 10-30-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekguy View Post

There is a helpful explanation at the beginning of pg 94 of the manual under Monitor Out. In brief selecting "Source" for resolution will output whatever resolution was selected under the Source Picture Adjust menu.

In Source Picture Adjust -resolution can be set differently for each input source.

But remember if you are using the the best output from a
Blu Ray player 1080p 24 you will lose all the video adjustment tweaks as the 876 cant manipulate 24p!!!!!!!!!!!! or even display the OSD overlay when using the most preferred BD feed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They don't tell you this any where in the specification but its a fact

I was very annoyed to discover this

Paul

Panasonic AT6000 Projector, oppo BD-93 ,MR DVD + BD ,
Onkyo 1007,Humax" HDR (UPGRADED to 1TB ) 10 ft 2.35 screen
post #206 of 5107 Old 10-31-2008, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Just got my 876 last night and all I can say is wow It was a major sound upgrade from my 8 year old 787 One question though I was watching spider man 3 from my ps3 running dolby true hd as pcm. Should the 876 only show a 48khz pcm signal or should it be higher? The PS3 is showing that it can output 192khz to my 876. I couldn't find the sample rate anyplace for spiderman 3.
post #207 of 5107 Old 10-31-2008, 02:44 PM

Questions on how to get the true-hd and dts-hd logos to show up on the receivers display. I have got a ps3 and the hd-a35 hd-dvd player into receiver with an hdmi and both players are set to output pcm audio. On the ps3 I used F4 rise of silver surfer which outputs dts-hd 5.1 master lossless audio and it is selected on the screen but no dts-hd logo comes up on the receivers display. On the hd-dvd player I used Batman Begins and dolby true-hd is selected but also the true-hd logo does not light up on the receivers display. What gives? What am I missing and what should I do or what settings do I put in so that the logos light up on the receivers display? thanks!
post #208 of 5107 Old 10-31-2008, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lex, I'm not sure. That's what mine shows, as well.

HDPlas, as far as your question goes, you're NOT going to see the logos. The playstation 3 ONLY outputs via PCM (it decodes the TrueHD or DTS HD soundtrack internally). If it were to be able to send out the bitstream, the receiver would decode, and you would get the logos on the display. But, the receiver only sees that it's getting a PCM signal. What you're hearing is the same (or, at least almost: some would argue about which would be able to decode/process signals the best). But, you just won't get the logo. And, I'm with ya, man. I'd like to see it there, as well!

I feel thin...sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread. I need a holiday...a very long holiday. - Bilbo B.
post #209 of 5107 Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 PM

Liked: 16
After setting up and doing a lot of evaluations I ran across an audio glitch with my BD30 and the 876. I first discovered this with American Gangster and DTS master HD. The sound was so loud it reminded me of the DTS bomb, but not as bad. It only come from my right front speaker. I could pause play and the cracking and clicking would still come out of this speaker only. I of course checked connections and found all okay. I tried the same disc with the Sony S350 and could not duplicate. I tried another disc in the Panny BD30 and seems to be only with the DTS Master HD I get the right front speaker noise at random times. With Dolby, PCM, no problems with the noise from this speaker. Also, I tried my Oppo 983 and as I expected no problems with standard DTS, or DD. So I wish anyone else with a BD30 could chime in if they find any problems similar to what I get!

Bill
post #210 of 5107 Old 10-31-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul623 View Post

But remember if you are using the the best output from a
Blu Ray player 1080p 24 you will lose all the video adjustment tweaks as the 876 cant manipulate 24p!!!!!!!!!!!! or even display the OSD overlay when using the most preferred BD feed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They don't tell you this any where in the specification but its a fact

I was very annoyed to discover this

Paul

Agreed! If that was clearly stated anywhere on the Onkyo site, or in the press releases (some claiming to be reviews) I did not see it. The Reon is more than a de-interlacer and I find that I am able to usefully tweak the output of my HD-A30. When you add this to the SD aspect ratio annoyance, it might not be cause to return it, but its still a disappointment

-Bertrand Russell
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page