On-Screen Display from Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2008, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The last time I did any set-up with the receiver, I was using my old analog CRT TV. Now I am trying to get the OSD (on-screen display) to appear on my Pioneer Elite Pro-910HD, and so far, I can't get it to work. First off, I know that on this receiver, OSD is not available through the component inputs, but is supposed to be available through composite and S-video. Normally I don't route video through my AV receiver at all, preferring to go to directly to the plasma TV. What I've done is connect the composite video output of the receiver to Input 4 of the TV, on the front of the TV's separate electronics box. To make sure it worked, I connected a DVD player to the DVD input on the receiver, and sure enough, with the receiver on, the DVD was playing on the TV Input 4. That's the only video component connected to the AV receiver. I slid the switch on the receiver remote to Setup and pushed the System Setup button. System Setup appeared on the receiver's display, but no on-screen display on the TV. I tried using S-video, and the DVD played OK on the TV, but I couldn't get the AV receiver OSD to appear. I followed the receiver manual's instructions about using the same kind of connection (composite or S-video) from the component to the to receiver and from the receiver to the TV, but no luck. I also made sure the the receiver was set to put the OSD out in NTSC format. Is there something I'm overlooking, or is there something about the HD TV that keeps it from displaying the AV receiver's OSD? Should I try the old CRT set to get the OSD for receiver setup?

SI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 11:11 PM

I've done everything you just said and had the same outcome! Have you been able to figure it out?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I have. Reaching around the back, without enough light to properly see what I was doing, I had mistakenly connected the TV's input to the VCR2 video output of the receiver, rather than the Monitor video output, which was the one I was aiming at. It was actually email help from Pioneer's tech support, asking me which output I was using, that made me go back to first principles and really LOOK at what was plugged into what. I felt rather silly. Once I moved the video cable down one jack, where it was supposed to be, the OSD was available. There was some video noise on the OSD when using S-video, but not with composite. Perfectly useable either way, though.
Were you trying to reproduce my problem, or just setting up your stuff? What's your equipment? (TV and receiver.) Just curious.

SI