Questions for Yamaha owners; Yamaha RX-V1800? RX-V2700? other? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-22-2008, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for any advice you provide. And sorry about the long read.

Narrowed it down to two; Yamaha RX-V1800 or older RX-V2700. (something else?)

I've been reading up on all the threads here and the more I read the more I realize that I don't know.

. I'm without a receiver. and fairly inexperienced when it comes to amps/receivers.

My primary goal is good sound for home theater and music.

Do I need the codec that come with the HDMI version 1.3a (1800) and skip the extra 10 watts of rated power on the 2700? Or should I go with more POWER! I want good sound processing, and enough clean power for my speakers.

Currently the Yamaha 1800 and 2700 are about the same price (just under 800) and I'm not sure which one of the two would be best.

The only differences that between the two that I think I care about
1) HDMI 1.3 for the audio codec,
2) difference in power 130watts (1800) vs 140 watts(2700).
3) the 1800 is a newer model but at the end of it's life; the 2700 is discontinued.

I'm more concerned with sound quality than all of the extra novelties; I don't need the receiver to do internet radio or to play mp3s.

My setup:

I have paradigm studio 60s for the front two, studio 100 for center and the back surround are cheaper paradigms. A Sony XBR3 for the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-23-2008, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Go with the 1800, you wouldn't notice the difference of only 10 watts. Also, the 1800 has more HDMI inputs and 1.3A. I'm using an older 2600 with Paradigm Reference 40's, 20's and Center and it has plenty of power for those. It's also 130 watts. Usually using a Parasound HT2250AT amp for power but its in the shop right now and I hardly notice a difference between it and the amps in the 2600. The only problem that has been brought up with the 1800 and 2800 is its clipping of whites and below blacks with its video processing. Read all about it on the 1800 & 2800 threads. Also, may want to consider the Onkyo 875 or 805. Those can be had at great prices right now also.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I was on the phone and ready to order the 1800 and...

The sales rep recommended that I take a look at the Yamaha 1900 and Denon 3808. So here i go again researching two more receivers.

The only difference that "I think I care" about is the Audyssey in the Denons. Or 8 point "YPAO" on the 1900. (much easier for me to configure/setup ? )

So I'm down to three. Yamaha RX-V1800; Yamaha RX-V1900; or the Denon 3808

As far as price... the 1800 is about $350 cheaper than the RX-V1900 and Denon 3808 (the quote for the last two is the same).

So now I have to figure out if the RX-V1900 or Denon 3808 will be worth the extra $350.

- This receiver stuff is complicated. -
post #4 of 6 Old 09-24-2008, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Simple really. Find someone(dealer) in your area who will let you take your choices home to try out. Then you can decide which you like best. I still think you should also add one of the Onkyo's in your choices just for the options and power available for these receivers. You also may want to look at the emotiva site as they are giving incredible buys for separates, and their equipment is top-notch. You are also going up in price range and there are many more options as you go up. If you keep going up you will start getting more opinions as what to buy,which is good. As for the Denon 3808 you could also be looking at the Marantz units for ~ the same money and a better product to boot. This process should not be complicated but fun. Buy what you can afford after trying out your choices to avoid buyers remorse. Good luck in whatever you choose. One other thing to remember is with those Paradigm speakers get as much power as you can to make them sound their best.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-24-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I would go with the 1800 (and did). You can get a great price at 6th ave.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-24-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 118
This is how I see all these receivers -

2700 (I own one)
Pros
- Very affordable these days, probably under $700 or close
- Seems powerful enough for most people
- Versatile receiver. Handles all my needs
Cons
- Runs very hot
- Music streaming feature so clunky, I never use it (and you may need a firmware update before it even works correctly)
- Only three HDMI inputs
- Does not decode HBR audio such as TrueHD

Pros -
- Runs cooler than the 2700 near as I can tell
- Decodes HBR audio
- Four HDMI inputs
- Should start to get discounts now that the 1900 is out
- Adaptive DRC (The 2700 lacks this potentially nice feature)
Cons -
- No internet radio (I personally like internet radio for parties)
- Clips Blacker than Black over HDMI; this would be annoying if you using something like Digital Video Essentials as you can't use it properly through the receiver. You can work around that with a direct connection though

Pros -
- May run cooler than that 2700? (hopefully)
- HD Radio
- A2DP over Bluetooth? (hard to tell how useful this will be)
- Multi-point YPAO? (No data on whether this is an important improvement)
- Decodes HBR Audio
- May NOT clip BTB; I am waiting for any feedback on this still!
Cons
- Pricier than the 1800 but does not add a ton of goodies
- New, so any quirks are unknown and there always seem to be quirks with recent receivers due to their complexity

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page