The Official Sherwood Newcastle R-972 With Trinnov Optimizer Thread - Page 38 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1111 of 1133 Old 07-25-2013, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Entire thread dedicated to Trinnov user notes:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1397757/r972-trinnov-user-notes

Link to the PDF in third post.
Thanks for the link, and the heads up on this thread! My Sherwood Newcastle 972 just arrived via FedX. I removed it from the box, to have a look at it.
It is a rather big receiver, nothing really to write home about. The power transformer and power supply caps reveal this is probably not going to be an end all be all piece for rap music fans, or those who listen to loud explosions.
Of course, I will have to listen to it, because I am more interested in sound quality, then reproducing explosions.
I picked up a Sherwood 771 awhile back cheap from Parts Express, and I was very impressed with the warm sounding amp in it.
No real worries if the amps in this receiver are not up to snuff. It has pre outs, and I have several amplifiers I can enlist, if need be.

The Trinnov Microphone is cool looking, and I can hardly wait to get this receiver installed in my system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1133 Old 07-27-2013, 02:48 PM

Liked: 11
Cool this is an interesting receiver with so many problems and so much potential, keep up posted.
post #1113 of 1133 Old 07-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post

Thanks for the link, and the heads up on this thread! My Sherwood Newcastle 972 just arrived via FedX. I removed it from the box, to have a look at it.
It is a rather big receiver, nothing really to write home about. The power transformer and power supply caps reveal this is probably not going to be an end all be all piece for rap music fans, or those who listen to loud explosions.
Of course, I will have to listen to it, because I am more interested in sound quality, then reproducing explosions.
I picked up a Sherwood 771 awhile back cheap from Parts Express, and I was very impressed with the warm sounding amp in it.
No real worries if the amps in this receiver are not up to snuff. It has pre outs, and I have several amplifiers I can enlist, if need be.

The Trinnov Microphone is cool looking, and I can hardly wait to get this receiver installed in my system.
Please update us on the performance.
post #1114 of 1133 Old 07-27-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcollector25 View Post

Cool this is an interesting receiver with so many problems and so much potential, keep up posted.
I let it "cook" from the time I got it a day or 2 ago, and just put it into my system a few hours ago.
I have not tried it in surround yet, nor have I done the Trinnov optimization.
I wanted to listen to it in 2 channel stereo first.
I live near Tampa, and we have been getting a TON of rain that is effecting what I do for a living so I have had some extra time on my hands lately. The Sherwood 972 in 2 ch mode has a warm, clean sound, with pretty darn good imaging too.
There is no extra brightness that I have been able to hear so far. I hate brightness, it literally drives me through the roof!
The electrical power here in Tampa seems to go off sometimes when we get Thunderstorms, and I wonder if this new toy of mine is gonna piss me off by "forgetting" all I have taught it ?

I have owned a smaller Sherwood 771 receiver, and this Sherwood seems to have "The Sherwood Family Sound", in that it is a tad laid back, vs forward and bright. Right now, I have my JSE Model 2 Speakers hooked up (Google Them). They have 5 drivers per speaker, and have 2 woofers per side.
They are quite "current hungry", and also quite revealing and intolerant of **** in the chain. The Sherwood 972 drives them with ease, however there is not quite as much bass to them, as when I have them bi amplified, with a monster power amp driving only the woofers.

Because Black Sabbath will be here in Tampa Florida on Monday 7-29-2013, and I am going to the concert, we spent a lot of time listening to both old and new Black Sabbath. Ozzie's voice was well rendered, as was the bass line on Paranoid. The new song they do called "God Is Dead" really sounded wonderful.

Good clean 2 channel is very very important to me, I am an audiophile first, and a movie watcher second. I think it is safe to say the Sherwood 972 sounds quite good, in 2 ch mode, and will satisfy those who have all but the most crazy load, and inefficient speakers, in the largest of rooms.

I can not clean roofs in the rain, LOL, and if this rain here in Tampa keeps up, I will have more time this week to do the Trinnov Thing.
OH, I just wanted to add I have Brighthouse Cable TV Box, and a Sony Blu Ray Player, and no "issues" so far, though I am not real fond of HDMI at times. I HATE that stupid ass delay you seem to get on all the HDMI equipped receivers I have owned !
post #1115 of 1133 Old 07-31-2013, 05:54 PM

I have been getting problems watching TV. I have Brighthouse Cable, and sometimes, there is no picture, even though I have the correct HDMI selected!
Sometimes, I have to shut the Sherwood or the Cable Box on and off, to get either picture or TV Sound!
I haven't had the chance to go into the Sherwood 972 to set it's upscaler yet, so that may be the problem ?
I have a 5 ft camera tripod on the way, to set the TRINNOV mike at ear level.
post #1116 of 1133 Old 08-14-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcollector25 View Post

I still can not make this receiver work with my Brighthouse Cable Box and Mitsubishi 73' HDTV through the HDMI
I am running HDMI from the cable box to the Sherwood 972, and then to the TV with HDMI
Sometimes, I get sound, but then no picture on the TV!
I just played with it for nearly an hour, and still no picture!
And, when I did get a picture with sound, it took nearly an act of God!
I am sick of this ****, and plan to go right from the cable box to the TV, instead of through the Sherwood.
My G/F could not watch Duck Dynasty on TV tonight, and nearly killed me!

Beware guys, this thing is quirky as all hell.
But still, it has awesome sound quality.
It is an overly complicated bitch to use, set up, and operate, be warned.
Not for the faint of heart, that;s for sure.

I have just begun to scratch the surface of what this thing is capable of, and it is truly mind boggling.
The remote sucks, and the display is hard, if not impossible to read, even inches away!
The silver buttons on the front are not clearly marked, and it is all too easy to push the wrong one, and drive yourself nuts.

I can see it will probably take me a year or 2 to even come close to mastering this thing, and even then, it is far from a family friendly device!
It is kind of like owning a very mean, one person Dog.
My G/F and my 32 year old Son were able to operate my previous receivers, but not this thing.
They constantly call me into the living room, for this and that, all caused by this receiver.
No picture, no sound, no surround, no nothing, 1/2 the time!

Do NOT buy this receiver, unless you are the most hard core, technically proficient audiophile, and can see well too!
It will test your patience, and nearly make you give up.

We had a power failure here in the Tampa area today. I played with it for over an hour, and still could not watch TV, because of the HDMI Issues!
No matter what, I could not get a picture to come over the HDTV, but I did get sound.
I got tired of messing with it, and tomorrow, I will bypass the Sherwood, and go direct from the cable box, to the TV.
post #1117 of 1133 Old 08-15-2013, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I still can not make this receiver work with my Brighthouse Cable Box and Mitsubishi 73' HDTV through the HDMI
I am running HDMI from the cable box to the Sherwood 972, and then to the TV with HDMI
Sometimes, I get sound, but then no picture on the TV!
I just played with it for nearly an hour, and still no picture!
And, when I did get a picture with sound, it took nearly an act of God!
I am sick of this ****, and plan to go right from the cable box to the TV, instead of through the Sherwood.
My G/F could not watch Duck Dynasty on TV tonight, and nearly killed me!

Try the Redmere HDMI cable from Monoprice. I too was having problems like yours until swapped out to these. Good luck.
post #1118 of 1133 Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpon View Post

Try the Redmere HDMI cable from Monoprice. I too was having problems like yours until swapped out to these. Good luck.
I have tried 2 brands of HDMI Cables, with the exact same results.
Today, I was planning to go right from my Brighthouse Cable Box to my HDTV with the HDMI Cable, but I am concerned that if I go the HDMI Cable to the TV, it might mute the optical digital out of the cable box audio that will go into the Sherwood ?
post #1119 of 1133 Old 08-17-2013, 03:14 PM

Liked: 10
Decided to take a chance on this unit, and have spent the last few weeks in an intense love/hate relationship with this piece of gear. So much potential and yet the implementation is enough to make you want to pull your hair out. So many issues that I would not know where to begin, but I still love this receiver.

I have read the trinnov thread and the notes about trinnov, but have not been able to read this thread in its entirety so I apologize in advance if this has been covered. The question I have is: when does a reset need to be done? I have not had issues getting "good" calibrations but I am having a hard time getting results I am happy with, plus I am prone to tweaking my set-up a lot, which has resulted in a lot of recalibrating.

So, if anyone has been down this road and I'm sure a few have, how often are you doing a reset, and what was the rationale for doing so?
post #1120 of 1133 Old 08-19-2013, 04:39 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 336

Hello,

I am planning to buy one just to use for Audio, I feed the video straight from my Oppo to my projrctor so I could care less about video?

How does it compare with Audyssey XT32?

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1121 of 1133 Old 08-19-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Hello,

I am planning to buy one just to use for Audio, I feed the video straight from my Oppo to my projrctor so I could care less about video?

How does it compare with Audyssey XT32?
I just got my 5ft adjustable tripod, to do the TRINNOV measurements, but to be honest, I haven't done them yet. I have simply been enjoying the sound of ihe Sherwood 972 in 2 ch stereo.
In the last 4 years, I have had several flagship (or close to it) type receivers here, including a Pioneer Elite with MACC, an Onkyo w/Audyssey, and a Yamaha RX V1 with the Yamaha YPAO system.

In 2ch stereo, going on my memory, the Sherwood 972 beats them all for 2ch sound quality, except the Yamaha RX V1.
I am talking about 2ch stereo listening with NO equalization, or processing of any kind.

I feel the big Yamaha RX V1 was noticeably more powerful, and had a little better overall sound, but not by much.

I would rate the Onkyo last, followed by the Pioneer Elite, the Sherwood 972 a close second, and The big older Yamaha RX V1 the best.
Of course, all this will change with the TRINNOV hopefully!
post #1122 of 1133 Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Hi guys,
I was using Sherwood successfully before but then I hooked up yesterday with my system and for some reason it supporess Center speaker to a great level. I can hear a very little sound coming from center speaker. Left are Right are working normal. There is no issue with cable or speaker becasue I chaged wires to test in Left Speaker and it worked fine and also used Center speaker as Left and worked fine. I also ran calibration and could clearly hear the test tones from center speaker. But, when I use cable box, it suppress the center channel.
Any ideas???
thx.
post #1123 of 1133 Old 10-28-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post

Hi guys,
I was using Sherwood successfully before but then I hooked up yesterday with my system and for some reason it supporess Center speaker to a great level. I can hear a very little sound coming from center speaker. Left are Right are working normal. There is no issue with cable or speaker becasue I chaged wires to test in Left Speaker and it worked fine and also used Center speaker as Left and worked fine. I also ran calibration and could clearly hear the test tones from center speaker. But, when I use cable box, it suppress the center channel.
Any ideas???
thx.
Well, the test tones tell us the center is working, so why not try a DVD that we know has surround information on it ?
Also, are you sure the receiver is in a surround mode, and has been TOLD that it has a Center Channel.
The Sherwood is a stupidly thought out receiver, very hard to use, and full of little quirks.
On the display, when it is in a surround mode, you should see the little icons that indicate how many speakers are active, in that mode.
This is a real bitch for me to see, since I am 59 years old, and the receiver is sitting UNDER my 73 inch HDTV, on the TV Stand.
This means I must literally get down on the floor, to see whats up.

But, even with all it's quirks, I just love these receivers, for the outstanding sound quality.
post #1124 of 1133 Old 10-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, the test tones tell us the center is working, so why not try a DVD that we know has surround information on it ?
Also, are you sure the receiver is in a surround mode, and has been TOLD that it has a Center Channel.
The Sherwood is a stupidly thought out receiver, very hard to use, and full of little quirks.
On the display, when it is in a surround mode, you should see the little icons that indicate how many speakers are active, in that mode.
This is a real bitch for me to see, since I am 59 years old, and the receiver is sitting UNDER my 73 inch HDTV, on the TV Stand.
This means I must literally get down on the floor, to see whats up.

But, even with all it's quirks, I just love these receivers, for the outstanding sound quality.

thx for your reply. I did check in setup to make sure Center is set to Yet. Funny thing is that even though I didn't have subwoofer connected, it says Yes there and it didn't even let me change it. But that's not the issue and just one of those little quirks. I tried Surround and also digital. Same result. I think playing dvd thru a different player will isolate the issue. Its hard to imagine if cable box will for some reason stop sending center speaker channels and send only left and right. It sounds more like a receiver issue.
Quote:
Will check it and update tonighit.

thx.
post #1125 of 1133 Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:

thx for your reply. I did check in setup to make sure Center is set to Yet. Funny thing is that even though I didn't have subwoofer connected, it says Yes there and it didn't even let me change it. But that's not the issue and just one of those little quirks. I tried Surround and also digital. Same result. I think playing dvd thru a different player will isolate the issue. Its hard to imagine if cable box will for some reason stop sending center speaker channels and send only left and right. It sounds more like a receiver issue.
Will check it and update tonighit.

thx.
Also, be sure the direct mode is not on, it might switch it into 2ch stereo.
LOL, never put anything past a Cable Box!
It very well might have decided not to output a surround signal ?

I have found Sherwood Tech Support to be really good, and easy to get to. Just call, and ask for the technician!
post #1126 of 1133 Old 10-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, be sure the direct mode is not on, it might switch it into 2ch stereo.

I have a strong feeling that this the culprit. I think I left it on.
post #1127 of 1133 Old 10-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

It was Trinnov. If I have it on, it suppress the center speaker. Does anyone know how to enable trinnov but disable re-mapping? Some told me that disabbling with keep center speaker enabled. The only options I get is Cinemetic or Music.
post #1128 of 1133 Old 10-29-2013, 04:36 PM

If Trinnov is working correctly, then the relative sound level you hear coming from any one speaker is irrelevant. Trinnov uses ALL of your speakers in your room TOGETHER to recreate the proper sound balance and localization when you are seated in the "sweet spot" you placed the microphone at when you ran the calibration.

Try this: play a surround (5.1 or 7.1) movie. Sit in the sweet spot and CLOSE YOUR EYES while listening. From that location, does it sound like you have a solid center channel signal of proper loudness? If so, Trinnov is doing its job; don't force the center speaker to go any louder or you'll really mess up the Trinnov mapped soundfield.
post #1129 of 1133 Old 10-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaleita View Post

If Trinnov is working correctly, then the relative sound level you hear coming from any one speaker is irrelevant. Trinnov uses ALL of your speakers in your room TOGETHER to recreate the proper sound balance and localization when you are seated in the "sweet spot" you placed the microphone at when you ran the calibration.

Try this: play a surround (5.1 or 7.1) movie. Sit in the sweet spot and CLOSE YOUR EYES while listening. From that location, does it sound like you have a solid center channel signal of proper loudness? If so, Trinnov is doing its job; don't force the center speaker to go any louder or you'll really mess up the Trinnov mapped soundfield.

I don't have 5.1 system. Its a 3.1 system. Trinnov was on but there was no sound in center speaker at all. Listening at MPL didn't sound well either.
post #1130 of 1133 Old 12-18-2013, 11:56 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:

I don't have 5.1 system. Its a 3.1 system. Trinnov was on but there was no sound in center speaker at all. Listening at MPL didn't sound well either.

Sorry to post this so long after the fact, but I had the same issue and resolved it. Trinnov only does 2, 5, or 7.1 setups. 3.0/1 causes it to revert back to 2.0. The solution isn't fun, but it works. Run the calibration, then just as its approaching the rears, turn the mic around and swap the FR to the RL and the FL to the RR. It'll trick Trinnov into thinking you're running 5.0/1 and will let you take full advantage of your 3.0/1 setup.
post #1131 of 1133 Old 12-20-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post

...then just as its approaching the rears...

Or borrow a pair of speakers to temporarily hook up to the rear channels.

Noah
post #1132 of 1133 Old 12-21-2013, 08:27 AM

Hey all,

I am considering this unit. I see the specs indicate it is over 19" deep.

Can anyone who owns it please do a couple of quick measurements for me?

1. From the front of the cabinet to the rear (NOT including front panel controls or rear connections, just the cabinet itself)
2. Depth from the outer edges of the feet, front to rear

Thanks in advance!!

"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music." ~ Keith Richards
post #1133 of 1133 Old 12-22-2013, 05:51 AM

If anyone can help with my above question, I'd really appreciate it. I need to know this today if possible. Thanks!

"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music." ~ Keith Richards
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherwood Newcastle R 972

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page