IR Extender for Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-12-2008, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to move my components into a cabinets where there will not e line of sight for the IR remote. Looking at buying a new receiver that I can plug an IR "eye" into and then place the "eye" on top of the cabinets. Seems like every receiver I look at that has this feature is around $600+. The one exception seems to be the Denon AVR-1708, which lists "IR Serial Remote In/Out terminals" as a feature. Does this mean I can plug an IR "eye" into the receiver? If not, what exactly is this feature? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-12-2008, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Um, I know little about home automation. However, I've been HIGHLY recommending a remote I got recently. Its about $50 shipped by itself, or in combo with the blaster + 6 stick-on emitters, its $83 (or less depending on the week). I was using a Harmony before, and I personally enjoy this one much more, and it costs a lot less.

URC RFS200 PowerPak Bundle w/ MasterControl RF20 and PowerBlaster

edit: only one left in stock, more coming on the way. I guess I've been promoting this thing a lot. A lot lot lot lot lot... here, the speaker forum, the setup forum, others forums, even wrote a review.

post #3 of 5 Old 10-12-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I had been looking at that remote as another option.

And I'm not really looking for home automation, just want to control my DirecTV box, a/v receiver, and DVD player w/out having line of sight, as I am putting in a large cabinet/shelving unit in my family room.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-12-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

You're welcome. I find it to be a tremendous value. It's not as advanced as some units that cost multiples more in terms of being able to handle multiple home theaters.... but really how many of us need that?

edit: since you edited . This thing, IMO, is more than enough for your needs. Use the learning command, not the preprogrammed.

After setting my brother's up (3-4 macros, 15 minutes), I taught him how to program and name buttons. The lesson lasted about 2-3 minutes, and I watched him program a code on a specific macro, and name it, in less than a minute. He happened to add the correct audio input for when he wants to game on his Xbox.

The emitters on his system, or on my system, can't even really be detected at any moderate distance. Since his cable box is silver, you do see a centimeter of thin black wire vertically.

post #5 of 5 Old 10-12-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
If you're happy with your existing remote solution, take a look at the Terk Leapfrog remote extenders. I have this version, which doesn't seem to be available any more. The current version looks like this.

It's never interfered with or been interfered by our cordless phones (5.8Ghz), WiFi (2.4Ghz), or even the baby monitor. My version included one corded stick on type flasher in addition to the receiver base that has an IR flood built-in. I'd assume the current version works the same with different aesthetics. With the flood on one shelf and the flasher laying loose on another shelf, I don't have any response problems with equipment spread over 4 shelves spanning 34" vertically inside a converted armoire. The flood's strong enough to even get decent response with the armoire doors open, forcing the IR signal to bounce off a DARK wall 4' away.

-Brent
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page