Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1410 Old 07-23-2009, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver700 View Post

Well the video, which you touched on. My projector, hooked straight to the source looks good. Hooked through the receiver looks so so. Volume varies, loud on -20 one day, not loud enough another and so on..

I was just thinking about hooking my player direct to the pj!

Same issue with the volume but I've always blamed it on my changing sources. I'll have to pay closer attention.

ck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1410 Old 07-27-2009, 11:13 PM

All the issues aside, I love the sound of my REF 70 and 200.7 driving my Sequel II's. Can't wait for the upgrade. I sure hope it is not false hope.
post #453 of 1410 Old 08-02-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

I have a 7.1 system (front, Center, Right, 2 sides, 2 rears) I am feeding the Ref 70 with a Toshiba HD DVD .. When I have the movie set to Dolby TrueHD and the Ref 70 set to DVD-A, 7 channel, I only get 5.1 (no rear channels).

When I play a Dolby Digital film from Dish network, System Setup, Dolby Digital and set it to Dolby Digital/PCM, line mode or Dolby Digital only, line mode or even if I change to RF Mode..it doesn't matter. If I have selected DVD-A on the Ref 70 I get no side or rear channels. I am connected via HDMI.

On Dish, you can run a test on the HDMI connecction:
VideoFmt= 1080i
Timebase= BAVC_Timebase-e0
Output Port= HDMI
OutputFormat=HDMIMode
AudiSamplingRate= 48k
AudioFormat=AC3

On the Ref70=
Surround Mode= Auto
All Input= HDMI
MultiChannel Analog Type = 7.1 Analog

Ugghh. Any ideas?

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #454 of 1410 Old 08-03-2009, 06:17 PM

When I switch the reference 70 to DTS Movie or Music it makes the sound cut in and out until I unplug the HDMI cable from the Panasonic Blu Ray and then plug it back in. Then it fixes it until I change the audio from say stereo and back to DTS and only DTS. Any suggestions?

Also, is it better to just keep the ref. 70 set to DVD-A and let the blu ray decode everything? Will it play non blu ray (DTS or Dolby) properly set this way?
post #455 of 1410 Old 08-03-2009, 07:24 PM

Very few Dolby True HD soundtracks use 7.1 channels, the vast majority of them are 5.1. The DVDA input only passes through the 5.1 soundtrack, there is no information available to sent to the back speakers. Try to find a 7.1 soundtrack and see if it works properly. This is one of many reasons I hope for the upgrade that will allow the Ref 70 to process these signals. I expect it will be able to convert the 5.1 signal to a 7.1 signal

If you want to get the surround channels out of your Dish receiver, don't use the DVDA input. Use the Ref 70 to process the Dolby digital (or AC-3). This should get you the full surround sound.
post #456 of 1410 Old 08-06-2009, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know of any 7.1 soundtracks I can test DVD-A with?

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #457 of 1410 Old 08-07-2009, 08:28 AM

I believe "Rush Hour 3" is in 7.1
post #458 of 1410 Old 08-07-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael James View Post

Does anyone know of any 7.1 soundtracks I can test DVD-A with?

Just got The Arrival and it shows 7.1 on the cover.

ck
post #459 of 1410 Old 08-07-2009, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Are you folks hearing all 7.1, including the rear channels?

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #460 of 1410 Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 PM

I hear 7.1 if I use a DVD that is encoded at 7.1 channels. You must have your DVD player properly set up to do this. The B&K is only passing through what is sent to it from the player. If the player or satellite receiver is set up incorrectly, there is nothing the Ref 70 can do about it.
post #461 of 1410 Old 08-08-2009, 03:09 PM

Hey Ref 70 owners,

I have a question that should be pretty simple to answer. I just want to confirm that mine is operating they way that it should. Have had the unit since January. Anyway, the other day was the first time I powered the unit down using the Power button on the front. In the past I have always put the unit in sleep/standby mode. The Ref 70 was powered off for less than a minute. When I turned it back on, all my settings were gone. Is there no battery backup to maintain settings when the unit is off? I really don't want to have to download my settings from the B&K software every time the unit is shut off or there is a power interruption.

Can someone confirm whether or not their Ref 70 does this.

Thanks.

Mike
post #462 of 1410 Old 08-09-2009, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

No, you should not be losing the settings

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #463 of 1410 Old 08-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
When is the upgrade for the new audio codecs coming out? I figured B&K would have them out by now.
post #464 of 1410 Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGOLFER View Post

When is the upgrade for the new audio codecs coming out? I figured B&K would have them out by now.

Given B&Ks history, combined with the smoke and mirrors thus far, I think it's safe to assume an answer of "never". Start saving up for the Ref. 90 ladies and gentlemen.

I just wonder how many dealers are going to be willing to sell B&K products on the next release...
post #465 of 1410 Old 08-10-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGOLFER View Post

I thought I'd share some information I just received from the engineering manager at B&K.

The bulk of this message was removed at the request of B&K. The 1.06 firmware release is imminent, and they would prefer to make the announcement themselves.

"We are just about to release our 1.06 code update. Let us put together a formal statement of this update and our planned DSP introduction. I'll then email for addition to the forums...

Again, thanks for your support and I hope going forward to have enhanced updates to our A/V line on a more timely basis."

Personally, I am excited to see what they have come up with the last 6 months.
post #466 of 1410 Old 08-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_f View Post

Given B&Ks history, combined with the smoke and mirrors thus far, I think it's safe to assume an answer of "never". Start saving up for the Ref. 90 ladies and gentlemen.

I just wonder how many dealers are going to be willing to sell B&K products on the next release...

Probably all of them. Its not like this is the first time B&K has done this. B&K makes great gear. But all that upgradeability is hogwash and always has been. They routinely leave customers behind and have always been slooooow to add features. Not a knock an observation based on fact. What you buy is what you get. If you look at it that way you won't have any reason to get frustrated. But if you buy based on you thinking about them giving you a credit for already purchased gear, or because they will be "adding" features down the line, or because you believe that upgrades will always be available making sure your gear never becomes obsolete, then you are in for some rough times.

And based on the post above it looks like newer codecs are months away, at best, and any sort of EQ has been relegated to "future plans" Wow what a great deal the Ref 70 is proving to be

post #467 of 1410 Old 08-10-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnikurt View Post

I thought I'd share some information I just received from the engineering manager at B&K....

OK,

Were you able to get a ballpark ETA on the next fw update? I hope they're making the black crush a priority.

Thanks,

ck
post #468 of 1410 Old 08-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kane View Post

OK,

Were you able to get a ballpark ETA on the next fw update? I hope they're making the black crush a priority.

Thanks,

ck

I copied every tidbit from his e-mail. No definitive dates, just what you see. To me it seems as if firmware 1.06 will come out soon, then hopefully the hardware upgrade in the Oct./Nov. time frame. Just a guess of course.
post #469 of 1410 Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Did they say room correction?

Looking forward to that. Hope they don't do the Audyssey thing where you have to hire an installer to run the more advanced version.

I'll start saving my pennies.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #470 of 1410 Old 08-11-2009, 01:03 AM

The upgrades will come in January 09........Spring 09............early summer 09.........late summer 09............Oct - Nov 09............????????

Anyone see a pattern here?

Other manufacturers will be releasing their third generation products before we see a first generation product (if we see it at all). B&K has yet to officially state any of this is in the works.
post #471 of 1410 Old 08-12-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlary View Post

The upgrades will come in January 09........Spring 09............early summer 09.........late summer 09............Oct - Nov 09............????????

Anyone see a pattern here?

Other manufacturers will be releasing their third generation products before we see a first generation product (if we see it at all). B&K has yet to officially state any of this is in the works.

I feel your pain. I'm an owner too, that is very tired of waiting for what seems like an eternity. That being said, my recent e-mails from B&K have at least given me some solace that there still is work being done, and that the work isn't on some next generation product...
post #472 of 1410 Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Guys,

I'm not an owner but since the Ref 70 is HDMI 1.3 and you own a player that will decode the HD codec then you can at least play back the decoded audio signal via HDMI as PCM. At the end of the day it's pretty much the same thing. I'm sure it's probably a matter of principal for most of you at this point but I'm sure B&K will come through.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #473 of 1410 Old 08-12-2009, 01:59 PM

It's not pretty much the same thing. In order to use HDMI as PCM, you have to use the DVD-A input selection. This disables room equalization, lip sync correction, etc. If B&K would allow the Hi Def audio to be processed after it arrives via HDMI, native decoding would not be that big of a deal. I don't know if other products allow this or not.
post #474 of 1410 Old 08-12-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not pretty much the same thing. In order to use HDMI as PCM, you have to use the DVD-A input selection. This disables room equalization, lip sync correction, etc.

The Ref 70 has room eq? Can you elaborate on room equalization?

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #475 of 1410 Old 08-12-2009, 05:13 PM

Actually it has notch filters that allow some control over room acoustics. B&K calls it equalization in the manual.
post #476 of 1410 Old 08-12-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually it has notch filters that allow some control over room acoustics. B&K calls it equalization in the manual.

So the Ref70 won't let you apply notch filters to a PCM signal?? Seems odd to me..

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #477 of 1410 Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 PM

"Multi-channel PCM - Use this audio mode with the HDMI outputs of a Blu-Ray player or SACD 5.1 or 7.1 audio source device. The Multi-channel
PCM or SACD may be selected simply by selecting the DVD-Audio mode while listening to an HDMI source capable of reproducing Multi-Channel
PCM or SACD content (see the specific players users manual and disc software title for further details). From the remote control, press the DVD-A
button. Currently, no equalization or Lip-Sync correction is applied while set to use the DVD Audio input"

This is from the Ref 70 manual. B&K insists on using the DVD-A input for HDMI. I guess this input is really for the small numbers of users that play SACDs or DVD-A. The DVD-A input does not add any processing so as not to affect music played via the DVD-A input.
post #478 of 1410 Old 08-13-2009, 07:21 PM
EL

when using DVD-A input selection there is no bass management (well on the avr707 so I assume ref70 is the same) plus you cannot apply prologicIIx on it to have 7.1 from 5.1 source (most of the movies)
post #479 of 1410 Old 08-14-2009, 08:44 AM

I have a call into B&K tech support but haven't heard back yet so thought I would throw to you guys first.

I have a Panasonic BLu-ray that will decode hi-res audio (PCM) but also have a separate SACD player that needs to use the MC analog inputs. If I am reading the manual correctly I need to set up the HDMI connection for Blu-ray to DVD-A in order to get hi-res audio but then I am out of luck for the SACD input.

Confused! Please enlighten. New customer.

post #480 of 1410 Old 08-14-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriffin99 View Post

I have a call into B&K tech support but haven't heard back yet so thought I would throw to you guys first.

I have a Panasonic BLu-ray that will decode hi-res audio (PCM) but also have a separate SACD player that needs to use the MC analog inputs. If I am reading the manual correctly I need to set up the HDMI connection for Blu-ray to DVD-A in order to get hi-res audio but then I am out of luck for the SACD input.

Confused! Please enlighten. New customer.

You can use the HDMI output from your Panasonic Bluray set for PCM. On the B&K set the input mode as DVD-A, as previously mentioned. The HDMI cable can go to any one of the 6 HDMI inputs (Inputs 9-14).

For your SACD player, use its analog outputs to the B&K, after you have activated them in the setup menu (page 13 of the manual). Using the multichannel Analog inputs on the B&K kills (4) of your analog input channels (Inputs 5-8 as shown). You will select Multi-Channel Analog as the input mode.

I'm doing the same thing, since the B&K cannot decode the multi-channel DSD stream that my SACD player can send over HDMI. Hopefully this will be implemented sometime in the near future.

Hope this helps...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page