Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 1410 Old 04-13-2012, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

You should be running the latest (or at least latest - 2) code since it has HDMI info that can useful when debugging. You should save (and review) your settings before doing anything else. Fortunately the save format is simple XML text.

Thanks for the feedback, bodosom!

I'm not sure what you mean by the "latest code". Are you referring to the last firmware update for the 70 or the latest BK Suite software? I believe I have the latest fw but I'll double check. That said, I wouldn't know what to look for as far as the HDMI info is concerned.

I have to say that I'm getting the feeling that it's the B&K that's the problem. I'll try a reset and if that's unsuccessful then I'll be contacting George.

ck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1410 Old 04-13-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Try audiogon.com

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #1383 of 1410 Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Verify that it's not the sub.

You can do this by connecting a disk player that has analog out directly to the sub (they're both analog). Be sure to turn the gain on the sub way down to start with.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did just that and it was indeed the sub.
post #1384 of 1410 Old 04-19-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:

You should be running the latest (or at least latest - 2) code since it has HDMI info that can useful when debugging. You should save (and review) your settings before doing anything else. Fortunately the save format is simple XML text.

Thanks again bodosom!

Unfortunately I've had very little time to dedicate to this problem. Consequently, it's looking like I'll have to do a reset. Would updating the fw be equivalent?

It turns out that my current fw is 1.09. As far as the BK suite is concerned, I can only hope that it's on my old laptop as I haven't utilized it in ages.

Does anyone know if the latest fw and/or BK Suite can be found online?

Also, I've put three calls and one email in to Eastern in the last four days and no joy. I hope George is still there!

ck
post #1385 of 1410 Old 04-19-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Chris,

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.bkcomp.com/support/software/

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #1386 of 1410 Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kane View Post

Consequently, it's looking like I'll have to do a reset. Would updating the fw be equivalent?

I believe so.

Quote:
It turns out that my current fw is 1.09. As far as the BK suite is concerned, I can only hope that it's on my old laptop as I haven't utilized it in ages.

Does anyone know if the latest fw and/or BK Suite can be found online?

As noted the BK site and archive (if you want to downgrade) are still up. 1.09 was the latest firmware although there was at least one complaint about it.

By the way my 707 has been retired for a while so I no longer have first-hand experience.
post #1387 of 1410 Old 04-21-2012, 01:26 PM

Thanks, JimP & bodosom!

Rather than downgrade, I'll take notes and do a reset. If it ultimately comes down to sending it in to Eastern (assuming I can reach George) I'll post an update on my experience.

ck
post #1388 of 1410 Old 10-31-2012, 07:25 AM

Anyone have a Ref 70 they'd like to sell? Please email stdarbin@gmail.com.

Thanks.
post #1389 of 1410 Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

stdarbin,

Just looking around, there's one on audiogon. Seems a bit high but you may be able to negotiate.

post #1390 of 1410 Old 05-11-2013, 12:16 PM

Hello, being a long time lurker and owner, I have just listed my unit on ebay , very reasonably priced in case anyone is interested
thanks

Sal
post #1391 of 1410 Old 09-23-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the B&K Ref 70 will passthru 3D? I have a Playstation3 .. can I feed an HDMI cable to the HDMI 1.3b input of the B&K and then out to the TV? Or do I need a 1.4 HDMI splitter and send 1 HDMI feed to the B&K and the other HDMI to the 3D ready TV?

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #1392 of 1410 Old 10-07-2013, 04:43 PM

Hi everyone, I've owned all three B&K processors linked to the same 200.7 amp. The ref 70 is a great piece. The problem I have is repairs, which they need rather regularly. I sent it in to eeav electronics , George, this last time and got it back with pieces rattling inside. I need someone to repair it and do the work and bill me accordingly. It's a shame when you spend good money 3500.00 and can't get good service. The guys in California haven't returned a call or email after several attempts. George cut me off at eeav because he doesn't understand my anger at what they did to my unit. I need help getting it repaired, I also have a ref 50 for sale, make offer! If someone wants this ref 70 make offer maybe George will fix it for you! I am pissed off , sorry it's a great piece, I just need it fixed or I'm pitching it off a bridge.
post #1393 of 1410 Old 10-12-2013, 08:55 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgusted View Post

Hi everyone, I've owned all three B&K processors linked to the same 200.7 amp. The ref 70 is a great piece. The problem I have is repairs, which they need rather regularly. I sent it in to eeav electronics , George, this last time and got it back with pieces rattling inside. I need someone to repair it and do the work and bill me accordingly. It's a shame when you spend good money 3500.00 and can't get good service. The guys in California haven't returned a call or email after several attempts. George cut me off at eeav because he doesn't understand my anger at what they did to my unit. I need help getting it repaired, I also have a ref 50 for sale, make offer! If someone wants this ref 70 make offer maybe George will fix it for you! I am pissed off , sorry it's a great piece, I just need it fixed or I'm pitching it off a bridge.

I too love my B&K 20 and 50 moved on. I held off on the 70 for the ensight I had when I saw little to no support given with bugs in the new 70 when it was released. I feel your pain and hope you can get the problems resolved.

Front - Mythos ST
Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gems
Sub - Supercube Ref

There can never be enough music
post #1394 of 1410 Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 AM

The biggest problem I have is the fact the guy who was supposed to be helping the B&K family is a flat out crook. ee-av electronics, George,and Tabitha. They've built there own unit and I am here to say buyer beware!!!! If they'll do it to us they'll do it to anyone. I don't know where to begin to look for a comparable unit. I have a hole in my system and it can't be used, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone I hope my experience helps thy next guy.
Disgusted
post #1395 of 1410 Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 AM

I ran a cable thru my ref 70 from my play station 3 and out to the tv, but I never used my 3d signal. I don't think they considered 3d when they designed the ref 70. 3d came out long after the ref.
post #1396 of 1410 Old 10-13-2013, 09:47 AM

I've got a ref50 that's perfect with all the papers and Manuel's and the remote and all packaging if your interested.
post #1397 of 1410 Old 10-13-2013, 09:49 AM

Good luck I hope it works out for you!
post #1398 of 1410 Old 02-15-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

HELP HELP HELP!!

So by mistake today, I hit the Sleep Up and then Volume button. Now I am stuck in an endless loop of Powering UP..Please wait... then it goes blank.. then about 10 second later it goes into a "Resetting Video" loop that just repeats itself....

On the back of the receiver is the word Restore and I think an area right before it for a pin hole? Is that a reset? Is there a combo of buttons on the front to reset?

I can't figure out how to do a reset. I can't get into any menus at all.

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #1399 of 1410 Old 02-15-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael James View Post

Does anyone know if the B&K Ref 70 will passthru 3D? I have a Playstation3 .. can I feed an HDMI cable to the HDMI 1.3b input of the B&K and then out to the TV? Or do I need a 1.4 HDMI splitter and send 1 HDMI feed to the B&K and the other HDMI to the 3D ready TV?

I have an AVR707 that easily does the 3D my Samsung BD player puts out. I have all sources run through the receiver to the TV, and it works fine.
post #1400 of 1410 Old 02-16-2014, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to reset the Ref 70 or get out of this inifinite loop of Resetting Video?
What are all the types of hard and Soft resets when you can't get into the Menu settings?
Would unplugging the HDMI's in back help or unplugging anything else?

I tried leaving the unit unplugged all night and plugging back in and hitting power button, no joy.
I did get to 1 point yesterday where it went to Input 9 but the remote nor the front panel buttons were working.

When I hit the Sleep, Up and right master volume button and held them for 3 seconds was supposed to mute the front speakers according to ATI. (So I could listen to headphones) What did it actually do? Maybe initiate a restore or Reset?

I believe that the unit is on Version 8 of firmware

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #1401 of 1410 Old 07-09-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SW/FW Version Update Desired

Hello valuable forum members. I have been viewing for a long time and finally decided to join and become an active member.

I have read through all 1400+ messages relating to the Ref 70 so I am not just looking for a quick answer without doing any research.

I have recently acquired a Ref 70 which is a significant upgrade from my early '90's vintage Nakamichi AV2. Yes I understand the history with the Ref 70 and the broken promises from B&K regarding the DSP upgrades etcetera.

Basically what I am looking to do is upgrade my SW/FW from 1.06 to 1.09 and whatever other updates are included (video version etc.)

I went to the BK website and I believe I have all the necessary BKSuite files (lite setup 3.10.1) to install and setup on my computer so that I can communicate with the Ref 70 but I did not find the actual 1.09 version for the Ref 70.
If I install the appropriate BKSuite tools on my computer, communicate with the Ref 70 and tell the unit to upgrade, will it find 1.09 hidden in the BK website or do I need to have the 1.09 file located on my hard drive for the upgrade to work? I don't want to blindly try the upgrade process and risk bricking the unit. If I need the 1.09 file, does any current or former Ref 70 owner have a copy of it (and any other necessary files) they would be willing to share with me?
I did call ATI and the person I spoke with said the software is probably not on the website because people were having troubles updating their units. That seemed like an excuse to me because throughout these 1400 posts, most people didn't have problems updating and even the people who did have problems updating were able to successfully complete the update after a couple tries.

If I am able to proceed with this update I would also like to know of any helpful hints for the process. Can this be done on my Windows8 system, my Mac or will I have to pull out an old WinXP system?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
I look forward to learning more about this hobby and keeping up with how quickly it progresses.

looserowels
post #1402 of 1410 Old 07-09-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looserowels View Post
If I install the appropriate BKSuite tools on my computer, communicate with the Ref 70 and tell the unit to upgrade, will it find 1.09 hidden in the BK website or do I need to have the 1.09 file located on my hard drive for the upgrade to work?
It looks the firmware directory is gone so BKSuite will probably fail. It won't brick your device. You can install the image from disk. I have a 707 (in a box) so I don't have final wrapped Ref 70 code although it turns out the images are nearly the same and are interchangeable. I think the default BKS behavior was to delete the image after update but it's been a while.

My notes say the images used to be here: http://www.bkcomp.com/BKPrg/BK_FLASH_UPDATES/
post #1403 of 1410 Old 07-09-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
It looks the firmware directory is gone so BKSuite will probably fail. It won't brick your device. You can install the image from disk. I have a 707 (in a box) so I don't have final wrapped Ref 70 code although it turns out the images are nearly the same and are interchangeable. I think the default BKS behavior was to delete the image after update but it's been a while.

My notes say the images used to be here: http://www.bkcomp.com/BKPrg/BK_FLASH_UPDATES/

bodosom,
Thank you for your response. I recall reading countless posts from you within this thread and value your feedback.

I do have the original CDs (from 2009 - BK tools and SR10.1). Are you saying the CD contains the image that my unit came with? If so, it sounds like I could always reimage using the CD so as not to brick my unit.
If the image is contained on the CD would I be able to use a CD from someone who bought a unit from late 2010 that may have come with 1.09 from the factory?

Are there any other recommendations you (or anyone else) have for updating my unit? Is it even worth attempting to upgrade given the uncertainty of the location of a 1.09 image file?

Thank you again,
looserowels
post #1404 of 1410 Old 07-09-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I do have the original CDs (from 2009 - BK tools and SR10.1). Are you saying the CD contains the image that my unit came with?
I don't think so.

Quote:
Are there any other recommendations you (or anyone else) have for updating my unit? Is it even worth attempting to upgrade given the uncertainty of the location of a 1.09 image file?
There's nothing useful in the 1.09 image. The "newest" Ref70 image I have is 1.07_101909. Someone may have REF70_VER_108_030310.zip on a disk or you could try AVR707_VER_108_030310.zip (the "newest" image I have). The Eastern Elite AV website seems to be gone but you might be able to track someone down. They had all the images.
post #1405 of 1410 Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I don't think so.

There's nothing useful in the 1.09 image. The "newest" Ref70 image I have is 1.07_101909. Someone may have REF70_VER_108_030310.zip on a disk or you could try AVR707_VER_108_030310.zip (the "newest" image I have). The Eastern Elite AV website seems to be gone but you might be able to track someone down. They had all the images.

I remembered reading on page 31 of this thread the various SW versions and what they offer and the person from B&K saying that 1.09 just added features to the Creston functions to align with their other products (product consistency) - or something to that effect. He also stated that 1.07 or 1.08 would be the ideal version to get for features specific to the REF70. I would entertain 1.8 if I could find a copy of it because I do not plan on using keypads (thus making use of 1.09) and don't have any other B&K gear (although I would love to have a 200.7!).
The ATI guy did refer me to Stargate Electronics (631-465-0900) in NY to perform the upgrade for me. The person I spoke with there seemed very honest and said it would not be worth the expense to send it to him just to upgrade the SW. Although I did not explicitly ask him, he did not offer to send the newer SW version to me. EEAV has been out of business for about 1.5 years.
I would like to take advantage (read: experiment with) of some of the diagnostic, display, and picture alignment features of 1.08. Does anyone have any experience using these?

Just out of curiosity bodosom, what do you plan on doing with your 707?

Thanks for your input. Now I need to scour the 47 pages for specific setup info - does anyone know how to search within all the pages of a multi-page thread? Going through one at a time is time consuming.

Regards,
looserowels
post #1406 of 1410 Old 07-10-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
EEAV has been out of business for about 1.5 years.
I would like to take advantage (read: experiment with) of some of the diagnostic, display, and picture alignment features of 1.08. Does anyone have any experience using these?
I've used most of the features particularly the ones I lobbied for. The diagnostics are very useful and if you have a Kuro monitor you'll notice that the color space quantization error doesn't happen. The patterns are nice but they don't reflect the true source so not so helpful.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity bodosom, what do you plan on doing with your 707?
Well back in May 2011 I was going to hand it off to George who was going to check it out (it's fine) and flash a remote with stock B&K entries and find a buyer. He'd was going to take some commission for this. I guess I waited too long before following up on that. It's been sitting in the box since then.

Quote:
Thanks for your input. Now I need to scour the 47 pages for specific setup info - does anyone know how to search within all the pages of a multi-page thread? Going through one at a time is time consuming.
If you're logged in you should be able to search the entire thread.
post #1407 of 1410 Old 07-10-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Well back in May 2011 I was going to hand it off to George who was going to check it out (it's fine) and flash a remote with stock B&K entries and find a buyer. He'd was going to take some commission for this. I guess I waited too long before following up on that. It's been sitting in the box since then.
Let me know when you decide to let it go, I may have an interest.

Quote:
If you're logged in you should be able to search the entire thread.

I have been logged in during the search but I end up getting results from the entire forum. I'm sure it is operator error. I'll manage.

Thanks,
looserowels

No laughing: B&K REF 70 pre/pro, NAD 906 6ch bridgeable amp, Infinity Overture II fronts, KEF UniQ Model 90 center, KEF UniQ Q30 surrounds, B&W ASW1000 sub, Nakamichi MB-3s CD, PS3..........and dreaming of resuming my intended upgrades
post #1408 of 1410 Old 07-16-2014, 11:15 AM

bodosom, or anyone else,

Have you been successful using Windows 8 to connect to the SR10.1 remote? If so, what USB->RS232 adapter did you use? I would like to delete the programming the previous owner had and set it up for my uses.

On a related note, what do you recommend to be the best way to connect to the REF70 using the same PC? USB->Ethernet->REF70 or USB->RS232->Ethernet->REF70 or PC->wifi router->Ethernet->REF70?
I would like to explore the setup and backup options for the REF70 on the PC.
My only other PC option to use to connect is a Mac Air but I figured using that might require a couple more hoops to jump through to get it to work. I am willing to do that if it is more reliable though.

Thanks for helping me catch-up with hifi technology.
looserowels

No laughing: B&K REF 70 pre/pro, NAD 906 6ch bridgeable amp, Infinity Overture II fronts, KEF UniQ Model 90 center, KEF UniQ Q30 surrounds, B&W ASW1000 sub, Nakamichi MB-3s CD, PS3..........and dreaming of resuming my intended upgrades
post #1409 of 1410 Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:

By the way my 707 has been retired for a while so I no longer have first-hand experience.
May I ask what processor you are using these days?
Thanks,
looserowels

post #1410 of 1410 Old 07-17-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
May I ask what processor you are using these days?
Thanks,
looserowels
I have a Denon 4311 - which has been waiting a long time for a patch. It's deja vu all over again.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page