B&K Reference 70 Owners Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1456 Old 03-10-2016, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I recall this problem in earlier posts within this thread.
Just out of curiosity, did you connect to your unit using the instructions in the manual? (all devices powered off - bk not in standby but using disconnect button, connect Ethernet, power on everything, PC power on last, launch bksuite and update)

Also, since you didn't use the "live update" (which I believe pulls from the website that no longer exists) which selection did you use in the bksuite software?

I doubt this was your 1 and only chance....... some people went through multiple iterations of what you experienced and eventually succeeded.

james

No laughing: B&K REF 70 pre/pro, B&K REF 200.7, Infinity Overture II fronts, KEF UniQ Model 90 center, KEF UniQ Q30 surrounds, B&W ASW1000 sub, Nakamichi MB-3s CD, PS3..........and dreaming of resuming my intended upgrades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1456 Old 03-10-2016, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I followed the directions from this document. http://www.bkcomp.com/fileadmin/cont...103_071106.pdf

I was wondering also if it was because I am on a 64bit OS.
post #1443 of 1456 Old 03-10-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webweasal View Post
I followed the directions from this document. http://www.bkcomp.com/fileadmin/cont...103_071106.pdf

I was wondering also if it was because I am on a 64bit OS.
The flash update function is available as one of the icons in the BK Task application.
When you installed the latest BK suite, 2 versions are installed, 32bit and 64 bit. Both are placed on the desktop by default. The version to start is the red one for 64 bit.
After connecting to the unit per the manual, launch the 64 bit bktask then click on the "HTTP Flash Update" icon. See if that works better for you.

james

No laughing: B&K REF 70 pre/pro, B&K REF 200.7, Infinity Overture II fronts, KEF UniQ Model 90 center, KEF UniQ Q30 surrounds, B&W ASW1000 sub, Nakamichi MB-3s CD, PS3..........and dreaming of resuming my intended upgrades
post #1444 of 1456 Old 03-10-2016, 05:37 PM

I forgot to ask, did you select the zip file or something else for the flash file?

post #1445 of 1456 Old 03-10-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looserowels View Post
The flash update function is available as one of the icons in the BK Task application.
When you installed the latest BK suite, 2 versions are installed, 32bit and 64 bit. Both are placed on the desktop by default. The version to start is the red one for 64 bit.
After connecting to the unit per the manual, launch the 64 bit bktask then click on the "HTTP Flash Update" icon. See if that works better for you.

james
I did it that way, but when I went to click on the HTTP Flash Update it just went to a popup asking what .exe to run. It was like the x64 version or loader was missing. Just to be sure, I reinstalled the whole suite and the same thing happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looserowels View Post
I forgot to ask, did you select the zip file or something else for the flash file?
No, I used the zip. That is the file type it asks for when you go to flash it.
post #1446 of 1456 Old 03-10-2016, 06:19 PM

I wonder if there is something different with how Win10 installed BKSuite. When I click on the HTTP flash update, this opens up: see attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Update Screen.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	1306041  

post #1447 of 1456 Old 03-10-2016, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can connect to the AVR707 remotely via the Multi-Zone and Theater Quick Tools. I can not connect via the BLcSuite. Actually, it connects through the TCP Client, but immediately says the Suite has stopped working and must be shut down.

The error says: It is recommended that all BKcSuite product configurations be set using the Select a B&K "Virtual Product" icon. I have no idea what that means. I'm running Win10/64

I get the same downloader screen looserowls gets.
post #1448 of 1456 Old 03-11-2016, 07:47 AM

Yeah, I get that screen too. If you look in the program folder though, there is no x64 version of the flash software. Both the x86 and x64 load the same program. I saw another poster had success running Windows XP on a VM. I might give that a try.
post #1449 of 1456 Old 03-11-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydooit View Post
I can connect to the AVR707 remotely via the Multi-Zone and Theater Quick Tools. I can not connect via the BLcSuite. Actually, it connects through the TCP Client, but immediately says the Suite has stopped working and must be shut down.

The error says: It is recommended that all BKcSuite product configurations be set using the Select a B&K "Virtual Product" icon. I have no idea what that means. I'm running Win10/64

I get the same downloader screen looserowls gets.
When I 1st got my AVR I could connect over the wifi, but since then have not. I blame my extender though, its an unstable POS. So what it is asking you to do is select "Select Product For Operation Without A Connected Device" when you first start BKcSuite A/V Setup. You can make custom changes and save them to a file to upload later. I know that doesnt help with getting it connected, but that is what that message is all about.
post #1450 of 1456 Old 03-11-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
When I 1st got my AVR I could connect over the wifi, but since then have not. I blame my extender though, its an unstable POS. So what it is asking you to do is select "Select Product For Operation Without A Connected Device" when you first start BKcSuite A/V Setup. You can make custom changes and save them to a file to upload later. I know that doesnt help with getting it connected, but that is what that message is all about.
That is the reason I use a different router set up for a completely different network than my home network. I want to ensure only my computer and REF70 are talking to the router.
I do not have the "other" router connected all the time (in fact it is in the box in a cabinet) only when I want to connect to it to make a backup or hopefully soon, update the SW/FW.

james

post #1451 of 1456 Old 03-11-2016, 10:53 AM

Yeah, I should have gone that way too. It was a huge pain to drag the computer over to the AVR and then back. I think I might just get a super long CAT6 from work so I dont have to do that again.
post #1452 of 1456 Old 03-11-2016, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
That's sort of a catch 22 I guess. Just to be clear though, I'm strictly doing this over wifi. I found the IP from the TV menu and also my iPhone. I get good connectivity (ping response, and can see telnet service - port 23 - is open). The Multi Zone app connects easily, and when I launch the BK Suite, I put in the IP address, it connects, and then immediately crashes. When I use my old Win7 64 machine, it doesn't crash, it freezes.

From this I am gathering that I did the update before I installed Win 7 on this machine (would have been XP). Either way, I guess it's a 64 bit problem, not necessarily a Windows 7 or 10 problem.
post #1453 of 1456 Old 03-11-2016, 03:56 PM

It really is to bad B&K did not enable the USB connection. That would probably be the most reliable way to load setup files and SW/FW updates.
I am not a network or communication protocol guy so I couldn't even begin to guess what might be going on.
I will try to connect to my unit within a few days.....
james

post #1454 of 1456 Old 03-11-2016, 05:43 PM

I totally agree with the USB being the best route! This would be so much easier that way!

howdydooit, did you try to run the suite in compatibility mode?
post #1455 of 1456 Old 05-14-2016, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello guys.

For those of you that have bricked Reference 20, 30, 50 or 70 I have some very good news. I got somone on the phone over at ATI. My Ref 50 finally broke and I was hoping to find some way to rescue it. AS luck would have it, a repair center in Long Island, New York has acquired all the remaining parts from the old B&K facility.

They repaired my 50 and updated the FW with the latest stable version and replaced the power supplies and ICs which had been bricked by failing power supplies. He said it was a fairly common issue after all this time.

I don't know what the policy is here for posting numbers etc, so I will just say it's Stargate Electronics in Long Island, NY. Ship your B&K stuff to them and keep it going!

Truck? What truck?
post #1456 of 1456 Old 05-16-2016, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyE View Post
Hello guys.

For those of you that have bricked Reference 20, 30, 50 or 70 I have some very good news. I got somone on the phone over at ATI. My Ref 50 finally broke and I was hoping to find some way to rescue it. AS luck would have it, a repair center in Long Island, New York has acquired all the remaining parts from the old B&K facility.

They repaired my 50 and updated the FW with the latest stable version and replaced the power supplies and ICs which had been bricked by failing power supplies. He said it was a fairly common issue after all this time.

I don't know what the policy is here for posting numbers etc, so I will just say it's Stargate Electronics in Long Island, NY. Ship your B&K stuff to them and keep it going!
Manny Thanks, I will check them out. Several years ago my ref 50 started acting up. I've upgraded since then but held on to the B&K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page