B&K Reference 70 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1410 Old 10-16-2008, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got the unit in. My first impression of the sound, was impressive.

But.....
Well, here is what I did last night:

1. Tired the Factory Reset.. did not work.
2. Unplugged for 20 minutes, tried to bring up normally, also tried the factory reset... did not work. (Tried this 4 times..I'm stubborn) Also tried with power button in and out.
3. Left the unit plugged in all night but had the power button turned off.
4. Came in this morning, turned the power button back on and hit the Factory reset codes again... wallaaaaa... magic flying everywhere, it came up stating Factory Reset, Video Reset.
5. Now it seems to be working but I have not had a lot of time to play with it.

***** 1 problem, I have a Panasonic 65PF9UK Plasma. I am going from my Dish Network DVR (1080i out) to the BK Ref 70 and out to the Panasonic using a HDMI to DVI (Blue Jeans Cable). When I switch from 1080i output to either 1080p 50 hz or 60hz, the video is "jumping"/"staggering".

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/pdf/B_TH-9Series.pdf

Anyone else running into this???

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1410 Old 10-16-2008, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone else find it strange that the HDMI's start at Input 9? And you have to "Page Down" on the remote to ge to the first input? I have not started to program the remote yet and I am hoping that this is not a permanent situation or I may just have to go to a different remote.

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #3 of 1410 Old 10-16-2008, 09:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Congrats, i would love to hear more. Can you tell us where it was manufactured?

Sounds like major FUBAR, needs exchanged.
post #4 of 1410 Old 10-16-2008, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

The remote, the B&K, the Panny, the Cable?

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #5 of 1410 Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have discrete codes that I can use to program my Philips Pronto?
post #6 of 1410 Old 10-16-2008, 03:05 PM

I figured out how to set the video to 1080P. The prompt said to hit Enter and I was hitting the center of the navigation wheel instad.

Sound quality is outstanding. I'm using the B&K 200.7 amp and Paradigm Reference speakers in a 7.1 configuration.

My wife and both boxer dogs agree that the SQ is a huge step up from our 6 year old receiver.
post #7 of 1410 Old 10-17-2008, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
that remote can be totally customized to almost anything you want. Its a old design from universal remote but still good. I have sold b&K for years with that remote (since they switched into it, probably 4-5 years now) and we usually just make the remote totally custom and start over from scratch.
post #8 of 1410 Old 10-17-2008, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Couple things I learned....

1. This unit will take in 1080p 24, but will not output it... outputs everything upconverted to whatever you have it set to (ie: 1080p 60 hz (or 50z for PAL)

2. I am having communication issues between sources and the tv..I may have more time today to play. What I was instructed to do from B&K is unplug all units. then plug in the plasma, then the B&K. Then set the output of the B&K to 1080p 60 hz. After that is completely done, then turn on the power to the DVR. This did not work. What I will do today is use other sources like my Sony PS3 and see if the same thing is happening or its my VIP 622 Dish DVR. The manufacturers were supposed to come up with standards of communication.. that's the problem. I also saw this with other units outside B&K.. aka Onkyo and others

3. None of the size or positioning is working on the unit. Was watching Survivor last night in 1080i and the local news is HD this morning, tried the horizontal and vertical adjustments..nothing actually moves. Doesn't matter if I am in 1:1 Pixel mode or not.

4. Version 4 was released on Monday (as B&K told me yesterday)..but when I got home, I can't see it on the site anywhere. Is this a "dealer only" version right now? Was told there are some video processor corrections.. hmmm

5. Dolby Pro Logic II: When I was watching Survivor last night the rear channels were pretty loud. I switched audio modes and then back to DPLII.. I could have sworn that the back channels went down is loudness.

6. Programming, what I can't figure out is how o assign an input to a button. For example, assigning the now labeled DVR button to Input 9 (the HDMI input).. must be simple but did not readily see it in the manual. Seems simiar to programming a Pronto.

Again, the sound is very very good and the video looks decent. If I can get past these qwerks

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #9 of 1410 Old 10-17-2008, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

How close are the B&K Ref 50 remote control codes to the B&K Ref 70 remote control codes? I was thinking about buying the Logitec Harmony 1000 remote but they do not have the 70 codes but do have to 50 codes.

I just don't want to spend a lot of time programming remotes

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #10 of 1410 Old 10-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael James View Post

Couple things I learned....

1. This unit will take in 1080p 24, but will not output it... outputs everything upconverted to whatever you have it set to (ie: 1080p 60 hz (or 50z for PAL)...

Again, the sound is very very good and the video looks decent. If I can get past these qwerks

Is 1080p/60 the only choice for output here in the states? If so, surprised it cannot at least pass 1080p/24
post #11 of 1410 Old 10-17-2008, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

For 1080 output you have 1080i, 1080p 50 and 1080p 60hz. There are other options and variance at 720, etc...

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #12 of 1410 Old 10-17-2008, 01:11 PM

I got mine on Monday, and finally got around to hooking it up on Tuesday night. The sound quality is quite good, but the operation of the unit is a little sporadic. I think a real manual, not just the Quick Start thing will definitely be a help. I don't really understand all the Audio Preferences, and the video adjustments (vertical/horizontal shift) don't seem to work for me.

I did, however, get the remote completely programmed for my system. I have been using an MX-500 for years, so the remote was really intuitive for me. I just had to figure out the ins/outs of using a PC to do the programming.

Sound wise, the only thing I've not been able to completely figure out is playback of my SACD discs. I have an Oppo DVD/SACD player that is capable of sending the MPCM over HDMI, or DSD over HDMI. When playing back a DVD-A, I choose DVD-A as the sound mode, and the display shows PCM 7.1. Cool! The problem is when I put in an SACD, there is no sound what so ever, when the sound mode is set for DVD-A. If I put it to DolbyIIX, I can hear the disc, but it doesn't sound to me like it is playing the 5.1 discrete channels. The display shows PCM 2.0. Maybe I'll have to break down and give a call to B&K.
post #13 of 1410 Old 10-17-2008, 01:19 PM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=262

After seeing the pics of the hardware I will not be looking at the ref 70 anymore, I have seen high end empty boxes before but this took the cake.
post #14 of 1410 Old 10-17-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:

After seeing the pics of the hardware I will not be looking at the ref 70 anymore, I have seen high end empty boxes before but this took the cake.

Doug,

I'm glad you won't be considering a Ref. 70. Now we shouldn't need to read any more of your posts in the "owners thread" right? Good luck with your Onkyo.
post #15 of 1410 Old 10-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I'm glad you won't be considering a Ref. 70. Now we shouldn't need to read any more of your posts in the "owners thread" right? Good luck with your Onkyo.

I do not own an onkyo, did you even look at the pictures? This is a very poor example of anything "audiophile" poor power section, poor video section, poor analog section. I wonder how much B&K pockets from a sale of a single unit.
post #16 of 1410 Old 10-17-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWinsor View Post

I do not own an onkyo, did you even look at the pictures? This is a very poor example of anything "audiophile" poor power section, poor video section, poor analog section. I wonder how much B&K pockets from a sale of a single unit.

Again, I'm not sure why you are commenting in an "owners thread". I have already purchased the unit and really am not concerned about what it looks like on the inside. I'm more interested in how it sounds, and how it interacts with my audio/video components. I think the idea of an owners thread is for all of us that purchased the unit, despite its internals, can make the most of our buying decision. Your comments in this particular forum are not helpful, since you are not an owner.
post #17 of 1410 Old 10-17-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:

I have already purchased the unit and really am not concerned about what it looks like on the inside. I'm more interested in how it sounds, and how it interacts with my audio/video components.

How it sounds and the placebo effect seem to go hand in hand with this unit.

Quote:

I think the idea of an owners thread is for all of us that purchased the unit, despite its internals, can make the most of our buying decision. Your comments in this particular forum are not helpful, since you are not an owner.

My comments can be taken as a warning to any potential buyers, like my self who was interested in this unit and the SSP 800 before the detailes come out.
post #18 of 1410 Old 10-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Doug, please stay out of the owners thread. No need to bother people who own the unit.

Kyser

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #19 of 1410 Old 10-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Hi,
Can anyone give me the dimensions of this unit?
How's the SQ for actual HT use? I have a separate pre for 2/ch so I would not be using it for music.

Thanks.

Jose.
post #20 of 1410 Old 10-18-2008, 04:24 PM

The sound quality is great for HT. My expectations have been exceeded for SD DVD's and cable TV and sports. Bass is significantly better.

I'm using my Ref 70 with a B&K 200.7 amp.

Jim Lunden
post #21 of 1410 Old 10-18-2008, 04:29 PM

The unit measure 6.5" high (with feet) by 17" wide x 14.5" deep.
post #22 of 1410 Old 10-18-2008, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Any news on the new manual?
post #23 of 1410 Old 10-19-2008, 04:17 AM

This unit is so intuitive a manual is really not a necessity. I easily set mine up without one.

Jim Lunden
post #24 of 1410 Old 10-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerboy View Post

The unit measure 6.5" high (with feet) by 17" wide x 14.5" deep.

Thanks Boxerboy. It looks like I'll only have about 1/2" clearance on top in my rack. How's the heat situation?

Jose.

Jose.
post #25 of 1410 Old 10-19-2008, 06:51 PM

I haven't noticed any heat. I replaced a Marantz receiver that pumped out heat due to its Amp section.

You may have noticed from my previous posts that I really like this piece. I watched the Giants football game and really appreciated the improvement from my old receiver.

Jim Lunden
post #26 of 1410 Old 10-20-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

If the PS3 or HD DVD is doing the decoding, what should the B&K be set to? On the remote, under Audio, there is a DVD-A button, also various modes like Game, Neo 6, PLIIx..

So if I want the movie to play in 7.1 Uncompressed PCM, Dolby TrueHD & Dts-HD Master, do I push the DVD-A button? what happens then if I then push the Neo6 or PLII?

When I push the DVD-A, the rear channels sound a lot louder too...

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #27 of 1410 Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Would love to read a detailed review from one of the owners on this bad boy.. Anyone here plan on writing one?

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #28 of 1410 Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 AM

I'm a first time BK owner. Got the Ref70, and it sounds great.

However, I notice a huge difference between the DVD Movie setting and the DTS setting, moreso than anything else I've owned.

The DVD Movie has the surrounds MUCH more active, but I'm not sure if not too overactive. The DTS is much more subtle, but maybe too subtle?

What do you guys prefer?

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
post #29 of 1410 Old 10-22-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWinsor View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=262

Doug,

B&K hears you loud and clear. They decided to change the layout of the multi layer layer boards in order to fill the box. For instance, they used a 4 layer board on the up conversion section. They calculated that if they use a 2 layer board they can really fill in the gaps and actually reduce their manufacturing costs (4 layer boards are more expensive).

Additionally, they are going to use an analog power supply which will increase the weight, heat, and fill in the box. They are still picking the capacitor colors. Short fat ones fill more real estate than tall skinny ones. B&K realizes that there are technically challenged individuals out there and they value that uneducated customers business.
post #30 of 1410 Old 10-25-2008, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Been working all week and no time to investigate some remaining issues...

1. On DVDA, using an HDMI cable carrying Dolby TrueHD from a Toshiba XA2 HDDVD, the sides and rears are way too high (my guess to 10-15 db too high) Also, on network TV OTA for Survivor in HD, same thing, in DVDA rears and sids way too high. Test tones are all calibrated at 75.. I've checked these multiple times. Haven't had time to checkout Dolby Digital Plus or DTS-HD, DTS-HD Master Audio or HR, PCM..but my guess is we will see the same results

2. When the on screen menus come up, you get a noticeable jitter on the video side. (1080p 60 hz output, either 1080p 24 or 1080i input, doesn't matter)

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page