Panasonic SA-BX500 Small Light Powerful - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 699 Old 06-10-2009, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRph View Post

Hello everyone!!
Just pulled the trigger on this Panny receiver. Got at FRY's tonight here in Las Vegas for $249 + tax. They only had 3 left in stock, so I jumped on it.
The associate at FRY's who helped me in the A/V dept said they had 20 of these in stock on Memorial Day weekend.......I guess these are selling well at $249! He also told me that NOBODY returned any of them (hope he was being honest)......and he said these were patterned after the Pioneer ELITE series A/V receivers.
I figured, why not? I can try it out and see what happens.
I needed a NEW receiver for my Panasonic BD80K Blu-Ray player (which I LOVE) to decode the HD Audio........my current 3 year old Yamaha 5.1 A/V receiver is moving upstairs now.

Wish me luck hooking it up!! I will post my thoughts after it is up n running!!

Very cool. Sounds like your new AVR & your BD player will be very happy together!
Looking forward to hearing your impressions of it when it's all hooked up .
Congrats!
christoofar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 699 Old 06-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Member
 
MARTINIGUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: LasVegas
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not to say you got a bad deal, but I returned mine at FRY'S in Vegas two weeks ago. I liked the Panny but the wife said the voices on the Denon 1909 sounded clearer and more natural. She does have a real hearing problem, but I also noticed the Panny sounding more "digital" and the Denon "warmer". Just may be in the setup or the speakers I am using causing this. Shes happy now she has her own setup to enjoy "her" programs! I picked up the Denon at Ultimate. Best of luck with your new unit!!
MARTINIGUY is offline  
post #453 of 699 Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Member
 
VegasRph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok. Good to know. I am replacing a Yamaha 363 series receiver (3 years old) with this one. The Yamaha was pretty good to me over the years, but I need an AV receiver to decode the HD Audio from my BD player.
If this Panny doesn't sound good, I will return it as well. The only other receiver I am looking at is the Pioneer 819H receiver ($253.99 at Amazon) but the Panny uses DIGITAL AMPS and pushes 130w x 7. That had my attention!
VegasRph is offline  
post #454 of 699 Old 06-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Member
 
VegasRph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everyone out there, I just finished hooking up my Panasonic SA BX500 that I bought the other night at FRYs for $249 + tax.

It took about 2 hours from start to finish. Set up was EASY using the included microphone. Did some BASS/TREBILE adjusting after. I am also running it in Virtual 7.1 surround, since I have a 5.1 set up.

Here is what I am running:

Mitsubishi WD-60737 (60" HD 1080p DLP w/120Hz refresh) HDMI IN.
Panasonic BD80k Blu-Ray player (via HDMI)
Cox Cable HD/DVR box (via HDMI)
**Soon = Nintendo wii (via HDMI)

So far, I have watched: Saving Private Ryan SD/DVD, The Matrix SD/DVD, The Fast and the Furious SD/DVD, Pirates of Carribbean Blu-Ray.

My impression: WOW. Way, WAY better than my 3 year old Yamaha 363 series receiver!! Night n Day DIFFERENCE. This SA BX 500 just CRANKS out the sound......very CRISP/CLEAR/LIFE LIKE in all the movies.
Music (Tuner & Ipod) sounds awesome as well.

Best $249 receiver I have EVER heard. I think I would have been happy with it if I had spent $400 for it. Glad I bought it, my wife even said she thinks it plays LOUDER and CLEARER as well (she is NOT an audio/video buff what so ever)........overall A+.
VegasRph is offline  
post #455 of 699 Old 06-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Member
 
pwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I hope this receiver is as good as I think it will be. Pulled the trigger on an open box unit on E-bay today. $279 delivered. I had an open name your price from 6th Ave of $260 delivered on an Onkyo 507 which I let go. Keeping my fingers crossed and my ears open.

I'll be hooking up a Panny BD-55, an Oppo 981 as well as DirecTV HD to a Sammy PNA50A550. It will be replacing A Pioneer VSX-52TX Elite which I have been happy with. The analog input was not adjustable which made the blu-ray audio not as good as it could be.

I'll let you know my first impressions when I get it hooked up.
pwagner is offline  
post #456 of 699 Old 06-13-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRph View Post

Everyone out there, I just finished hooking up my Panasonic SA BX500 that I bought the other night at FRYs for $249 + tax.

It took about 2 hours from start to finish. Set up was EASY using the included microphone. Did some BASS/TREBILE adjusting after. I am also running it in Virtual 7.1 surround, since I have a 5.1 set up.

Here is what I am running:

Mitsubishi WD-60737 (60" HD 1080p DLP w/120Hz refresh) HDMI IN.
Panasonic BD80k Blu-Ray player (via HDMI)
Cox Cable HD/DVR box (via HDMI)
**Soon = Nintendo wii (via HDMI)

So far, I have watched: Saving Private Ryan SD/DVD, The Matrix SD/DVD, The Fast and the Furious SD/DVD, Pirates of Carribbean Blu-Ray.

My impression: WOW. Way, WAY better than my 3 year old Yamaha 363 series receiver!! Night n Day DIFFERENCE. This SA BX 500 just CRANKS out the sound......very CRISP/CLEAR/LIFE LIKE in all the movies.
Music (Tuner & Ipod) sounds awesome as well.

Best $249 receiver I have EVER heard. I think I would have been happy with it if I had spent $400 for it. Glad I bought it, my wife even said she thinks it plays LOUDER and CLEARER as well (she is NOT an audio/video buff what so ever)........overall A+.

Congrats & welcome to "The Club"
christoofar is offline  
post #457 of 699 Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Senior Member
 
SUOrangeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRph View Post

...
**Soon = Nintendo wii (via HDMI)
...

Given that the Wii doesn't have HDMI, are there any easy means of doing this? The wife bought herself a Wii for her birthday and I wouldn have liked to connected it via HDMI. I've settled for an $8 component connection instead. Works fine.

-SUO

AVS files: GoogleDocs
Threads: AVR | Blu-Ray Audio | Wash/Balt HDTV | Wii
SUOrangeman is offline  
post #458 of 699 Old 06-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Newbie
 
arrakian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: S.E.M.
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
Are the amps inside the BX500 the same/better as in the XR57?

How much power does it draw when idle? when at full power?
arrakian is offline  
post #459 of 699 Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Senior Member
 
sdv5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Page 51 of the manual:

Note for speaker detection and size setting

When you set the front speakers ("L", "R") as "LARGE"
- The subwoofer also makes audio output in the bass range when you perform stereo playback of analogue and PCM sources.
- The subwoofer sends out only the LFE (low frequency effect channel) signal contained in 2-channel Dolby Digital or DTS sources when you play them in stereo.

It appears that all Panasonic receivers have the same design flaw. I verified the same problem with SA-XR55 (optical or coaxial connection) and SA-XR700(HDMI connection). Essentially, if you have a 5.1 system with front speakers set as Large, Panny receivers are unable to play 2-channel sound (e.g., stereo PCM such as compact disc) properly. You will notice that sub is active even for 2.0 content that contains no LFE information, e.g., compact disc. The only option is to manually turn off the sub whenever you listen to stereo music on your HT system.

Sub cannot be active when you play stereo music over Large speakers. By definition, sub signal should be zero. It is not clear what kind of signal Panny sends to the sub in this case; however, it cannot serve any purpose other than to muddy the sound. What is "bass range" that Panny refers to in the manual? Front speakers should be in charge of reproducing the entire frequency range, and no other speaker should be active in this situation.

It is remarkable that Panny engineers could be this clueless about 2-channel playback. Clearly, not every customer will have front speakers set as Small and many customers will want to use their HT system for both movies and music. Those with front speakers set as Large will have to manually turn off sub whenever they listen to music. Totally ridiculous.
sdv5 is offline  
post #460 of 699 Old 06-16-2009, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Veda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Asia
Posts: 2,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 View Post

Those with front speakers set as Large will have to manually turn off sub whenever they listen to music. Totally ridiculous.

Yea but with the price feature ratio it's obvious they made their receivers to cater for budget class d fans. Their products are focused either 2 ch playback or HT so those looking for a true plug and play receiver should get a real receiver. I'd get the BX500 to replace my aging XR57 at the office. For $300 it's still the best choice out there for either critical listening or better than average HT. I just couldn't get over the taller profile and the inclusion of a fan.
Veda is offline  
post #461 of 699 Old 06-16-2009, 05:48 AM
Senior Member
 
TooLittleTimeZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the LFE thread Roger Dressler points out that it's an intended "feature"

Quote:


They are doing this because folks have complained that their subwoofers go silent when L/R are set to large and 2-ch sources are played. As you point out, this causes bass duplication so it is not optimal. The specs state the subwoofer output response as 7-200 Hz, so it's possible the sub could be duplicating to that extent. Or they might be defaulting to wherever the crossover frequency is set. No way to tell without measuring.

Since there is apparently no opt-out choice like Denon offers, the only way to avoid it in this case is to set L/R to Small.

It's apparently what panny calls "Subwoofer Output for Extended Bass Reproduction" on their features page for the BX500.

Can you tell whether it's bass duplication, or if not what the crossover frequency might be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 View Post

... Essentially, if you have a 5.1 system with front speakers set as Large, Panny receivers are unable to play 2-channel sound (e.g., stereo PCM such as compact disc) properly. You will notice that sub is active even for 2.0 content that contains no LFE information, e.g., compact disc. The only option is to manually turn off the sub whenever you listen to stereo music on your HT system.

Sub cannot be active when you play stereo music over Large speakers. By definition, sub signal should be zero. It is not clear what kind of signal Panny sends to the sub in this case; however, it cannot serve any purpose other than to muddy the sound. What is "bass range" that Panny refers to in the manual? Front speakers should be in charge of reproducing the entire frequency range, and no other speaker should be active in this situation.

TooLittleTimeZZZ is offline  
post #462 of 699 Old 06-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Member
 
pwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can the crossover be manually set if you set the speakers to small?
pwagner is offline  
post #463 of 699 Old 06-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Member
 
pwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwagner View Post

Can the crossover be manually set if you set the speakers to small?

I downloaded the manual while waiting for delivery of my receiver. It looks the crossover can be set in increments of 20 when set to small. My question would be does the receiver override the crossover setting with 2 channel playback? From what I read Dressler said he thought that the bass enhancement should read DTS and DD 5.1 modes played in stereo. I guess I'll find out when it finally arrives in a few days.
pwagner is offline  
post #464 of 699 Old 06-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
TooLittleTimeZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The "Subwoofer Output for Extended Bass Reproduction" feature is only enabled with front speakers set to Large, so won't override that crossover setting since it's only active when front speakers are set to Small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwagner View Post

I downloaded the manual while waiting for delivery of my receiver. It looks the crossover can be set in increments of 20 when set to small. My question would be does the receiver override the crossover setting with 2 channel playback? From what I read Dressler said he thought that the bass enhancement should read DTS and DD 5.1 modes played in stereo. I guess I'll find out when it finally arrives in a few days.

TooLittleTimeZZZ is offline  
post #465 of 699 Old 06-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Member
 
rutgersftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had mine for about two months now, and it's still impressing me. I think it might be too good to be true. I need to plug in my NAD integrated and a power amp combo to see if it really sounds as powerful as I imagine it does. Either way, Panasonic has a great receiver here.

To everyone concerned about the receiver "only" putting out 40 to 75 watts under certain test conditions... that's still a ton of power, and it's clean and makes way for dynamics. This thing rocks.
rutgersftw is offline  
post #466 of 699 Old 06-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Member
 
VegasRph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update for everyone-

I have had the Panasonic SA BX500 up and running for about 5 days now. The SOUND QUALITY is impressive.......it blows my Yamaha RX363 receiver out of the water HANDS DOWN. Now, I understand that my Yamaha RX363 receiver was about 3 years old......but IT DID have HDMI inputs (2 in/1 out) and was supposed to be 75w X 5 channels. If it was.......I TRULY, TRULY believe this Panny pushes out 130w X 7 channels!! I will NEVER doubt Panasonic's claim compared to the Yamaha. The SOUND this Panny puts out is something else........never heard something so CLEAR/CRISP & powerful for $249. (Heck......I have heard $400-$500 Onkyo receivers that don't sound as good as the Panasonic)

I watched Pirates of the Carribbean, Curse of the Black Pearl in Blu-Ray last night.......WOW. I had to dial BACK the receiver to -32db. Anything past that volume was borderline deafening........it was so clear/crisp/LOUD. WOW. Honestly, at -34db to -38db is LOUD enough. I tried the receiver at -26db and it was so LOUD, my wife started to complain that it was TOO LOUD.(she NEVER has done before while watching a movie!!!)
***I am ONLY running it in 5.1 surround (with virtual 7.1 mode ON)
***Even my Onkyo 10" powered sub sounds BETTER now......I am looking into getting a newer 12" powered sub (Polk or JBL)

The remote is crap, very similar to my Panasonic BD80k blu-ray player. I cannot figure out how to "link"/program the remote.......it should be able to work my Panasonic BD80k player.
I will most likely look for a good/solid UNIVERSAL remote (backlit) that will control my: TV, DVR, CABLE, Receiver.

All in all......A++ (10/10) for this Panny SA BX500 receiver. Best $249 I have spent on a receiver......ever.
VegasRph is offline  
post #467 of 699 Old 06-18-2009, 01:33 AM
Member
 
Freeze Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking about getting this receiver at Fry's today. Does anyone recommend some good, cheap speakers? My HTIAB died and so I am left with 4 ohm speakers. I do not want to spend more than like $100 on speakers if that is possible. I do have a sub that has been being used for my comp but I realize that I do not need a sub for my comp so maybe I can just use it for my new Panasonic receiver.

Sorry for any dumb questions I may have asked but I used to go the easy route with the HTIAB but have learned from my mistakes. I'm also getting the Panny 42x1 Plasma today or tomorrow for $599 plus tax so I would like to keep my TV and surround sound setup under a grand.

One more thing, does anyone have their PS3 hooked up to this receiver? Any signal degration from the switching? I will also be hooking up a Wii into it via component cables. Thanks!!
Freeze Time is offline  
post #468 of 699 Old 06-18-2009, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze Time View Post

I am thinking about getting this receiver at Fry's today. Does anyone recommend some good, cheap speakers? My HTIAB died and so I am left with 4 ohm speakers. I do not want to spend more than like $100 on speakers if that is possible. I do have a sub that has been being used for my comp but I realize that I do not need a sub for my comp so maybe I can just use it for my new Panasonic receiver.

Sorry for any dumb questions I may have asked but I used to go the easy route with the HTIAB but have learned from my mistakes. I'm also getting the Panny 42x1 Plasma today or tomorrow for $599 plus tax so I would like to keep my TV and surround sound setup under a grand.

One more thing, does anyone have their PS3 hooked up to this receiver? Any signal degration from the switching? I will also be hooking up a Wii into it via component cables. Thanks!!

So you are looking to spend only $100.00 for a total of 5 speakers (L,C,R, and surround)? And that you have learned from your mistakes with the HTIAB?hmm...doesn't sound like that to me.

Fry's usually has sales on Polk speakers each weekend, you might be able to find some that are *decent*, but even then , your $100 price limit will only bring you disappointment in the end, trust me.
christoofar is offline  
post #469 of 699 Old 06-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Member
 
Freeze Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Again, I have no idea what decent speakers cost since I am new to the whole building everything. What decent speakers can I can for the cheapest price?
Freeze Time is offline  
post #470 of 699 Old 06-18-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Like I said, check Fry's Friday ads tomorrow. They usually sell Polk or Infinity speakers at a decent price

these are $68 each on their website only

http://www.frys.com/product/4005092

Maybe you can buy a pair for your mains to get started, and add a center & surrounds later on but you owe it to yourself to get the best speakers you can afford. You will thank yourself later.
christoofar is offline  
post #471 of 699 Old 06-18-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
moxie1617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago Metro
Posts: 2,429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze Time View Post

Again, I have no idea what decent speakers cost since I am new to the whole building everything. What decent speakers can I can for the cheapest price?

Had to edit, they sell the combo for less than $200.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-692

The set up is good for home theater in a small 14x16x8 room. It can get you going right away to enjoy your system.
moxie1617 is offline  
post #472 of 699 Old 06-18-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

Had to edit, they sell the combo for less than $200.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-692

The set up is good for home theater in a small 14x16x8 room. It can get you going right away to enjoy your system.

This!
christoofar is offline  
post #473 of 699 Old 06-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Newbie
 
arrakian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: S.E.M.
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

... they sell the combo for less than $200.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-692

Go ahead and splurge! Add an extra $50 or so to the pot... ACTION/SCI-FI MOVIES!!!!!

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-696
arrakian is offline  
post #474 of 699 Old 06-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Goes to 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It is remarkable that Panny engineers could be this clueless about 2-channel playback. Clearly, not every customer will have front speakers set as Small and many customers will want to use their HT system for both movies and music. Those with front speakers set as Large will have to manually turn off sub whenever they listen to music. Totally ridiculous.

I will point out that many years ago, when 5.1 HT systems were just catching on, many owners of simple 2-channel stereo receivers were adding subwoofers to give their bass a little more "oomph," particularly if their speakers didn't have as deep a bass response as their sub of choice. Now, if you're lucky enough to have front speakers so large that you really don't need a sub for accurate reproduction of all two-channel music (a recording of a pipe organ would be an interesting test), I envy you. If the doubling of the bass added by the sub is troubling you--and that is certainly a matter of your personal preference--forcing you to manually turn off the sub, you could get one of those remote-controlled AC outlet adapters X-10 and others sell. You could turn off the power to the sub by pushing a button instead of fiddling with a tiny switch on the back or bottom. l don't think they muck up the AC when in use, but I'm not an electrical engineer, nor am I a big believer in the need for power conditioning, especially where LFE are involved.
Goes to 11 is offline  
post #475 of 699 Old 06-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Member
 
VegasRph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze Time View Post

I am thinking about getting this receiver at Fry's today. Does anyone recommend some good, cheap speakers? My HTIAB died and so I am left with 4 ohm speakers. I do not want to spend more than like $100 on speakers if that is possible. I do have a sub that has been being used for my comp but I realize that I do not need a sub for my comp so maybe I can just use it for my new Panasonic receiver.

Sorry for any dumb questions I may have asked but I used to go the easy route with the HTIAB but have learned from my mistakes. I'm also getting the Panny 42x1 Plasma today or tomorrow for $599 plus tax so I would like to keep my TV and surround sound setup under a grand.

One more thing, does anyone have their PS3 hooked up to this receiver? Any signal degration from the switching? I will also be hooking up a Wii into it via component cables. Thanks!!



You are going to really enjoy the Panny Receiver......hope FRYs has some left when you get there! The "word" is out about these now......and how GREAT the reciver is for $249.

Try www.newegg.com for some speakers. $100 is a SMALL budget, maybe too small for the new Panny receiver that you are getting. Newegg has POLK Monitor 50's for $99 EACH with FREE shipping.......M20 for $69 EACH.
VegasRph is offline  
post #476 of 699 Old 06-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Senior Member
 
sdv5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLittleTimeZZZ View Post

Can you tell whether it's bass duplication, or if not what the crossover frequency might be?

After setting up front speakers as Large, I played a variety of test tones (1/3-octave warble tone) ranging from 40 Hz to 200 Hz. The sub was active on all of them.

It's definitely bass duplication, and it's a complete mess.
sdv5 is offline  
post #477 of 699 Old 06-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Newbie
 
gnoohcbd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Freeze Time/VegasRph, if you want really good sound, get good speakers. The BX500 or any other amp, will never be running at its best if you're using poor speakers.

Spend your budget wisely... put a lot more of your budget for speakers than the amp.

Loving every minute of the BX500...
gnoohcbd is offline  
post #478 of 699 Old 06-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Member
 
Movie Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRph View Post

Update for everyone-

I have had the Panasonic SA BX500 up and running for about 5 days now. The SOUND QUALITY is impressive.......it blows my Yamaha RX363 receiver out of the water HANDS DOWN. Now, I understand that my Yamaha RX363 receiver was about 3 years old......but IT DID have HDMI inputs (2 in/1 out) and was supposed to be 75w X 5 channels. If it was.......I TRULY, TRULY believe this Panny pushes out 130w X 7 channels!! I will NEVER doubt Panasonic's claim compared to the Yamaha. The SOUND this Panny puts out is something else........never heard something so CLEAR/CRISP & powerful for $249. (Heck......I have heard $400-$500 Onkyo receivers that don't sound as good as the Panasonic)

I watched Pirates of the Carribbean, Curse of the Black Pearl in Blu-Ray last night.......WOW. I had to dial BACK the receiver to -32db. Anything past that volume was borderline deafening........it was so clear/crisp/LOUD. WOW. Honestly, at -34db to -38db is LOUD enough. I tried the receiver at -26db and it was so LOUD, my wife started to complain that it was TOO LOUD.(she NEVER has done before while watching a movie!!!)
***I am ONLY running it in 5.1 surround (with virtual 7.1 mode ON)
***Even my Onkyo 10" powered sub sounds BETTER now......I am looking into getting a newer 12" powered sub (Polk or JBL)

The remote is crap, very similar to my Panasonic BD80k blu-ray player. I cannot figure out how to "link"/program the remote.......it should be able to work my Panasonic BD80k player.
I will most likely look for a good/solid UNIVERSAL remote (backlit) that will control my: TV, DVR, CABLE, Receiver.

All in all......A++ (10/10) for this Panny SA BX500 receiver. Best $249 I have spent on a receiver......ever.

Hey Vegas, is the receiver bright or warm? I had a Technics SA-DX930 5.1 DD/DTS receiver and it was 100 watts per channel. The receiver had lots of power but it was kind of on the bright side as far as sound goes and when I cranked it to high volume levels it would start to distort. But I still thought it sounded great. But when the right channel on the Technics blew out I replaced it with a Yamaha RX-V559 and to be honest the Yamaha blew it clear out of the ballpark as far as sound quality goes. I could turn the Yamaha up to very high levels with literally zero distortion. However, being my Yamaha doesn't support the newer High Def Audio formats such as DTS Master Audio I became interested in the Panny SA-BX500. However, being Panasonic is basically the same as Technics I'm a little skeptical about buying the SA-BX500. Not to say that it's not a good receiver but for a little more money there are other receivers out there such as Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, or Harmon Kardon. Also, I have a few questions:

1. Is the SA-BX500 on the bright side? If so, how bright?
2. Does the SA-BX500 sound distorted at high volume levels?
3. Does the virtual 7.1 really make a difference on a 5.1 speaker setup?
4. Being the SA-BX500 has digital amps does it sound processed in any way? I'm worried about how light [11 lbs] this thing is!

Like I said, I'm interested in this receiver because of it's price but mainly because it can decode the new HD audio formats. However, I don't wanna sacrifice quality either. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Movie Guy is offline  
post #479 of 699 Old 06-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Newbie
 
pmiller056's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering getting a Universal Remote Control to use with my BX500 and other connected items. What do people like, and what is it like to program, given that the BX500 is still relatively new and that downloaded codes may not be available.

Thanks

Peter
pmiller056 is offline  
post #480 of 699 Old 06-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Member
 
lynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Logitech Harmony. Very easy to use and program and the BX500 is in their database. Simply the best IMO
lynx is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off