Panasonic SA-BX500 Small Light Powerful - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 699 Old 09-28-2010, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
haha. There is another one up on Ebay now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 699 Old 09-28-2010, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkhead13 View Post

haha. There is another one up on Ebay now!

No, there are two of them.
post #633 of 699 Old 09-28-2010, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Looks like it has reached cult status. $605??

Yeah that is just crazy! Wasn't there another one a few months ago that ended at like $580 or something? I think they are excellent AVRs, but not really worth THAT high a price.
Man Panasonic could make a killing releasing a "Limited Edition" version now..lol
post #634 of 699 Old 09-28-2010, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

Yeah that is just crazy! Wasn't there another one a few months ago that ended at like $580 or something? I think they are excellent AVRs, but not really worth THAT high a price.
Man Panasonic could make a killing releasing a "Limited Edition" version now..lol

I remember before buying mine on a big sale that the SA BX-500 was uniformly trashed by various professionals, yet the actual consumers who bought it were quite enthusiastic about it which is why I bought it and haven't really been disappointed in its performance. Obviously money talks and there are enough people out there who did bid up the price into the low stratosphere.
post #635 of 699 Old 09-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Wow, that is a lot of money for an older receiver.

Silence is Golden
but Duct Tape is Silver
post #636 of 699 Old 09-29-2010, 11:15 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tensleep View Post

Wow, that is a lot of money for an older receiver.

It was one of the best bargains in town when they were being dumped/discontinued. For a brief time you could get the SA-BX500 for $300.00 at J&R Musicworld.
post #637 of 699 Old 09-29-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

That's what I paid for mine. Didn't even know about them till Steve Satch mentioned them in another thread. I owned the older XR-55 (?) & still do, so I jumped on this one too.
post #638 of 699 Old 09-29-2010, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I so wish Panasonic would bring another one soon. When they introduced the SA-XR500, their spokesperson did say they had two other models in the pipeline, but they never materialized.

I want a slim one, with updated HDMI, true powered Zone 2 and A/B speaker selector, and Room Correction

But the SA-BX500 is sure a good receiver, too.
post #639 of 699 Old 09-29-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

I so wish Panasonic would bring another one soon. When they introduced the SA-XR500, their spokesperson did say they had two other models in the pipeline, but they never materialized.

I want a slim one, with updated HDMI, true powered Zone 2 and A/B speaker selector, and Room Correction

Agree. It's only real weak point is the room correction, it needs a good Audyssey level system in it. It's funny , having a simple pass thru of HDMI signal in standby is something lots of higher end receivers still can't seem to manage.
post #640 of 699 Old 09-29-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

If Panasonic were to release another class "D" tomorrow, it would be trashed by all those on this site who buy their receivers/amplifiers by the pound. In short, the general consensus is: if it doesn't weight at least 30 pounds, it can't be any good.
post #641 of 699 Old 09-29-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadmaa View Post

If Panasonic were to release another class "D" tomorrow, it would be trashed by all those on this site who buy their receivers/amplifiers by the pound. In short, the general consensus is: if it doesn't weight at least 30 pounds, it can't be any good.

I think you underestimate people's intelligence. I think it's common knowledge class D amps are lighter?

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #642 of 699 Old 09-29-2010, 06:30 PM

SA-BX500 is getting a bit trashed right here in another thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=panasonic

I love mine and I'm glad I bought more than one for a spare. Room correction would be nice, but my HT sounds great without it. I love the XR-55 also and use it for two channel setups.
post #643 of 699 Old 09-29-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I think you underestimate people's intelligence. I think it's common knowledge class D amps are lighter?

I'm not sure I understand your reply. Yes, Panasonic class "D" receivers are much lighter than standard receivers. They also perform as well as any other class of receivers on the market.
post #644 of 699 Old 09-29-2010, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agree. It's only real weak point is the room correction, it needs a good Audyssey level system in it. It's funny , having a simple pass thru of HDMI signal in standby is something lots of higher end receivers still can't seem to manage.

The only other glaring problem is only 3 HDMI inputs and it was a bear to find a switch box that was compatible with it.
post #645 of 699 Old 09-30-2010, 07:07 AM

I just bought a Panasonic plasma and bluray and would love to have a good Panasonic receiver to match them. I am currently using an older JVC AVR (missing HDMI) and it has truly surprised me. It is the first "modern" class D design that I have used. I won't discount light receivers again.

Silence is Golden
but Duct Tape is Silver
post #646 of 699 Old 09-30-2010, 12:55 PM

Having used this AVR now for the last 6 months I can say I'm pretty happy with it. I think I mentioned I got it as part of a Panasonic consumer experience package, in June, right out of the box, brand new. Yes, the 3HDMI ports are almost starting to get limiting, and since the package included a VT25 and th BDT300, both 3D capable components, and this AVR isn't HDMI 1.4 compatible, I have the BR Player connected directly to the VT25 (even though I do have audio connected from the HDMI-Sub port to the BX500). I have a pretty decent Paradigm speaker system connected to it, and even though I could probably adjust the sound levels somewhat, I think the Audissey setup did a pretty admirable job. Streaming Tru-HD and DTS sound has delivered some really excellent audio experiences so far.
post #647 of 699 Old 09-30-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't aware that the SA-BX500 uses the Audyssey calibration system.
post #648 of 699 Old 09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wasn't aware that the SA-BX500 uses the Audyssey calibration system.

I don't think that it does, but whatever is in the SA BX-500 seems to do an OK job that I don't have any complaints about, contrary to some objections in some reviews. Audyssey has to be licensed and it would be highly doubtful that a big corporation like Panasonic would blend it into the SA BX-500 and not pay for it.
post #649 of 699 Old 10-01-2010, 05:51 AM

You are correct, I shouldn't have used that term, it is an automated speaker setup similar to Audisey (which I use on my Onkyo SR607).
post #650 of 699 Old 10-01-2010, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Wow I never even knew this Panasonic receiver existed, nor did I realise they were making receivers again. Just stumbled on this thread today, looks like it started back in 08 though.

Not that I'm interested in the receiver per se, but I found it funny that they used the same old 1990s Technics front panel design, LOL. Now just without the Technics name (I wonder why they dropped that name anyway?).

I have an old (read: Pro-Logic days) Technics SA-AX920 lying arond at home and the front panel design and even the LED display are not that far off this thing. Obviously it's not exactly the same but anyone that owned a late 90s Technics receiver should know what I'm talking about. You think they would have changed the general design after all these years!
post #651 of 699 Old 10-01-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

I have an old (read: Pro-Logic days) Technics SA-AX920 lying arond at home and the front panel design and even the LED display are not that far off this thing. Obviously it's not exactly the same but anyone that owned a late 90s Technics receiver should know what I'm talking about. You think they would have changed the general design after all these years!

The basic design has dramatically changed with the SA BX-500. Technics SA-AX920 has no HDMI inputs, no HDMI output, no component video inputs, no Toslink connection, no coaxial digital audio input, weighs more, processes a lot fewer audio formats, does not allow for bi-wire fronts, no LFE, no room acoustic calibration, and looks totally different from the front. There is no comparison between the two with respect to today's home theater demands. Unless one had no other choice, one isn't likely to use it today as an AVR in a home theater setup.
post #652 of 699 Old 10-01-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The basic design has dramatically changed with the SA BX-500. Technics SA-AX920 has no HDMI inputs, no HDMI output, no component video inputs, no Toslink connection, no coaxial digital audio input, weighs more, processes a lot fewer audio formats, does not allow for bi-wire fronts, no LFE, no room acoustic calibration, and looks totally different from the front. There is no comparison between the two with respect to today's home theater demands. Unless one had no other choice, one isn't likely to use it today as an AVR in a home theater setup.

Uhhh yeahhhhh. Thanks? I think I realised all that, LOL.

All I was saying was the physical looks and front panel design are similar.

Take another look:
Quote:

I have an old (read: Pro-Logic days) Technics SA-AX920 lying around at home and the front panel design and even the LED display are not that far off

Emphasis added.

Nowhere did I say or attempt to say they could be compared functionally. As for they look totally different, I beg to differ. This unit looks much the same as the Technics receivers of the 90s, just as I stated. From the cheap/basic display to the speakers A/B icons in the display, to the indent at the bottom, to the various lights on the left (which on my old AX920 are across the middle, illuminate red, and are for source indication, are quite similar in theme nonetheless). Trust me there are some definite resemblances here, otherwise I would never have thought about the old Technics days in the first place.
post #653 of 699 Old 10-01-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uhhh yeahhhhh. Thanks? I think I realised all that, LOL.

All I was saying was the physical looks and front panel design are similar.

Take another look:

Emphasis added.

Nowhere did I say or attempt to say they could be compared functionally. As for they look totally different, I beg to differ. This unit looks much the same as the Technics receivers of the 90s, just as I stated. From the cheap/basic display to the speakers A/B icons in the display, to the indent at the bottom, to the various lights on the left (which on my old AX920 are across the middle, illuminate red, and are for source indication, are quite similar in theme nonetheless). Trust me there are some definite resemblances here, otherwise I would never have thought about the old Technics days in the first place.

OK, I get excited when someone seems to put down the SA BX-500. Now it isn't the world's greatest AVR, but price has its compensations.
post #654 of 699 Old 10-01-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:

OK, I get excited when someone seems to put down the SA BX-500. Now it isn't the world's greatest AVR, but price has its compensations.

It may not be the world's greatest but it is one hell of a good AVR.
post #655 of 699 Old 10-01-2010, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha, no I wasn't really putting it down just commenting on it's looks. I've never heard it or used it to be able to put it down. In fact I did kinda miss Technics receivers once they stopped making them (I think in the early 2000s).

I mean most other brands they change their looks entirely every few generations. There are often still some similarities, but when I saw this it was like going back into the past, lol. It really seems like they could have released this in 2001 and had it fit right in with their lineup.

Now I'm just sidetracking (backtracikng?) down memory lane, lol. The AX920 generation and those just before and after that, they did have the problem of the overheating (they have a cooling fan but it is controlled by output level, not heat, and they get quite hot at idle which led to many heat-related failures of those receivers back then). The failures can still be read about on old user-review sites like Audioreview, I believe. The fix was to open it up and then connect up the fan to +12V inside the receiver or connect it externally to an adapter plugged into one of the switched outlets, so the fan ran all the time and kept it cool

Today my AX920 I have plans to put it into action in a bedroom after having it sitting doing nothing for years. Of course it seems rather like a toy in comparison to my more modern receivers, but back in the day when I was younger how awesome I thought it was, lol. It's still a competent receiver though, well competent enough to power a bedroom sound system--better than bothering with an HTIB at least, I think. Oh and it's free since I have it already

Anyway back on topic is this BX500 model (or a newer one) still sold? I've never seen it before this as I said. It'd be interesting to try one out in a store or something...
post #656 of 699 Old 10-01-2010, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyway back on topic is this BX500 model (or a newer one) still sold? I've never seen it before this as I said. It'd be interesting to try one out in a store or something...

No, the SA BX-500 is the most recent AVR from Panasonic and there doesn't seem to be any followup to it.
post #657 of 699 Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 AM

I was wondering if any BX500 owners have modified the receiver for better performance? Power supply, clock, connectors, etc.

I have read many posts on other forums about different modifications performed on previous Panasonic receivers XR55, XR57, etc.

Just wanted to find out if there are any success stories to share.

Thanks,

Nick
post #658 of 699 Old 11-12-2010, 05:53 AM

Maybe the SA-BX500 owners are happy with the receiver 'as is', so they feel that there is no need for any mods (that's me). I'd be reluctant to drag mine out of the rack to do anything because of the large pile of wiring going into the back of it that would need to be disconnected then reconnected each time it comes out for a mod.

The only change I would like is to be able to re-name some of the inputs shown on the display from the default to what is actually connected. I have a Panasonic TV of the same generation and all the AV inputs can be re-named by the end user.

Peter
post #659 of 699 Old 01-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Does anyone here have any experiences or comments about the SA-BX500 randomly shutting down when used with HDMI connected inputs. It appears to be particular brands/types of connected equipment that causes problems. I've just started to experience this having re-vamped my setup and it has been noted in other forums.

Thanks

Peter
post #660 of 699 Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 PM

I've had no problems with mine (hooked to a samsung tv & panny blu-ray) but turned off the CEC (viera link) early-on because I didn't like the "viera" interaction between the blu-ray and tv. No point in using viera link when I have a harmony remote.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page