Panasonic SA-BX500 Small Light Powerful - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 699 Old 05-07-2011, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was tweaking my Harmony 550--adding a new activity for streaming MP3 files from a computer upstairs. I was having trouble getting the SA-BX500 to go to the correct input. When I started troubleshooting, I was informed that an update is available to the Harmony for this AVR, and that applying the update would not affect my button customization, etc. Taking them at their word, I applied the update, thinking it might solve my issue. Oh, crap. All my input settings were reassigned. Two activities lost volume and mute on the AVR. Those are the issues I've fixed so far, maybe there are more. So, be very sure you really need this update before applying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 699 Old 08-20-2011, 11:14 AM

Liked: 10
UGH! I've lost video output (HDMI) on my SA-BX500 this week (possibly storm-related, even with surge proctection). To make matters worse, my 42" Panasonic plasma *only* turns on before it goes unresponsive to physical and remote commands.

I'm still getting sound from the receiver (FM, cable DVR HDMI input). My video sources (cable, AppleTV, and BR MegaChanger) all still work when directly connected (via HDMI) to another display.

What are the chances of a "relatively" simple fix like a fuse replacement?

-SUO, not looking forward to checking non-HDMI functionality

AVS files: GoogleDocs
Threads: AVR | Blu-Ray Audio | Wash/Balt HDTV | Wii
post #663 of 699 Old 08-20-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOrangeman View Post

UGH! I've lost video output (HDMI) on my SA-BX500 this week (possibly storm-related, even with surge proctection). To make matters worse, my 42" Panasonic plasma *only* turns on before it goes unresponsive to physical and remote commands.

I'm still getting sound from the receiver (FM, cable DVR HDMI input). My video sources (cable, AppleTV, and BR MegaChanger) all still work when directly connected (via HDMI) to another display.

Master Reset everything.

Disconnect everything and connect only 2 things together and see what still works. Maybe connect a known good component directly to the TV. Try with RGB Component cables if HDMI is down.

Get a good APC Battery Backup/UPS (even if just a computer model). They have better surge protection than any "power strip" model.

post #664 of 699 Old 09-14-2011, 04:07 PM

Hey out there fellow SA-BX500 owners! If any of you are still following this thread, and use a Harmony remote, I have a question. Is there a way to go directly to the CD input, without toggling through the inputs? I'm able to go directly to the 3 inputs associated with my HDMI devices (note that these have discrete buttons on the original Panny remote), but not with the digital coax input associated with CD. Anybody have a solution? Thanks.
post #665 of 699 Old 12-03-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Its kind of strange that they still sell the sa-bx 500 in the UK as a current model but not in the USA.
post #666 of 699 Old 12-03-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz View Post

Its kind of strange that they still sell the sa-bx 500 in the UK as a current model but not in the USA.

Here I would have thought that the supply had dried up, but it is still available via Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-SA...2942846&sr=1-1

but that is close to the old retail list price. Then there is a probable electrical problem with the unit and plugging it in in the US. The unit had to have been modified for the UK.
post #667 of 699 Old 12-15-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOrangeman View Post

I finally had a local repair shop take a look at my SA-BX500. They've determined that I need a new HDMI board (REP4392A-T), and are willing to acquire the part for $130 with an additional $100 to install it.

I've already moved on to the Samsung AVR with the built-in 3D Blu-Ray player (it's not the greatest, but it does what I need). However, I could easily find a use for the SA-BX500 ... if I could easily find a new HDMI board, preferably for less than the cost of a new, adequate receiver. Web searches on the part number haven't been promising.

-SUO

AVS files: GoogleDocs
Threads: AVR | Blu-Ray Audio | Wash/Balt HDTV | Wii
post #668 of 699 Old 02-05-2012, 05:10 PM
dm
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I am selling my BX-500 on ebay.....do a search if you are interested.
post #669 of 699 Old 05-17-2012, 08:05 PM

Well I have two of these, but post divorce I only have one room for HT gear, so the extra has to go. You can find it on ebay if you are interested......
post #670 of 699 Old 05-30-2012, 03:39 PM

Man, I'm really sad reading about all this. I have a SA-XR70 in my closet that I was thinking about selling and trying to upgrade. I have a SA-XR700 as my main HT receiver and love it, potentially moving it to the game room and replace it with a SA-BX500 (that I've never heard of until now).

That Panasonic got out of this market and that no one really addresses this space/price range is kind of frustrating. Chalk me up as one of those that really hears and appreciates the clarity of the Class D receiver.

So, if anyone has a line on a SA-BX500 I'd be much obliged. Depending on how that works out I'll offer up my SA-XR70 or SA-XR700 (both in excellent condition w/ boxes) afterwards.
post #671 of 699 Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abulia View Post

That Panasonic got out of this market and that no one really addresses this space/price range is kind of frustrating.

Yes, it is. Would have been a nice match for my Panny plasma and BD player but oh well, life goes on.

I'm really happy with my Onkyo. If you don't like that brand, there are plenty of others.

post #672 of 699 Old 05-30-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Man, I'm really sad reading about all this. I have a SA-XR70 in my closet that I was thinking about selling and trying to upgrade. I have a SA-XR700 as my main HT receiver and love it, potentially moving it to the game room and replace it with a SA-BX500 (that I've never heard of until now).

That Panasonic got out of this market and that no one really addresses this space/price range is kind of frustrating. Chalk me up as one of those that really hears and appreciates the clarity of the Class D receiver.

So, if anyone has a line on a SA-BX500 I'd be much obliged. Depending on how that works out I'll offer up my SA-XR70 or SA-XR700 (both in excellent condition w/ boxes) afterwards.

I had an SA-BX500 about two and a half years ago. I would suggest, in today's marketplace, getting a newer AVR with more than 3 HDMI inputs and that has much better room correction than the SA-BX500. That and my SA-BX500 has begun to develop quirks for the person who now has it. Some of the AVR manufacturers have their own version of room correction. The standard these days is Audyssey that comes in varying levels of refinement - more or less dependent upon how much one is willing to spend and what your other hardware is and whether or not one thinks that it is worth the cost. With that in mind, at least look at a Denon whose price range is huge.
post #673 of 699 Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 PM

I'm happy to consider a Denon or Onkyo, I've no strong brand loyalty/aversion. In general, having been impressed with the two Panasonics previously, I'd like to stay with a Class D receiver. I guess I should let that go and prepare to return to the realm of 40lb receivers?
post #674 of 699 Old 05-30-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The Onkyo 515 and 616 just came out or last year's 609 might be a little cheaper. Be sure to watch the "brochure videos" for a nice intro.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

Check Amazon for pricing.

post #675 of 699 Old 05-30-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm happy to consider a Denon or Onkyo, I've no strong brand loyalty/aversion. In general, having been impressed with the two Panasonics previously, I'd like to stay with a Class D receiver. I guess I should let that go and prepare to return to the realm of 40lb receivers?

It will probably be very difficult to find a Class D amp in a receiver from a major brand. The amazing thing about the Class D amp was that it ran exceptionally cool. If you can afford it, go with at least Audyssey XT in your new AVR. I have a Denon AVR and have never really had any great problems with it (mostly trying to decipher the manual). Just be sure that you have enough wattage to drive whatever speakers you might have. As to Onkyo, I have fond memories because my first home theater system was an Onkyo HTIB, but then I began to upgrade the components.
post #676 of 699 Old 06-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

It will probably be very difficult to find a Class D amp in a receiver from a major brand. The amazing thing about the Class D amp was that it ran exceptionally cool. If you can afford it, go with at least Audyssey XT in your new AVR. I have a Denon AVR and have never really had any great problems with it (mostly trying to decipher the manual). Just be sure that you have enough wattage to drive whatever speakers you might have. As to Onkyo, I have fond memories because my first home theater system was an Onkyo HTIB, but then I began to upgrade the components.

The high-end Pioneer receivers have Class-D amps but they operate with analog signal as input, where as the Panny works with digital input signal. That is why the Panny is considered a "pure digital" amplifier.
I have had my SA-BX500 for 2 years before I paid $1.5k for an used Tact Digital Integrated Amp (S2150) which was not very different in presentation except that the bass was little bit more tight and nimble.
I am now retiring the Tact and putting the Panny back into action because my family would be happy with one remote for volume/input rather than using a HDMI switcher AND a digital input selector for using the TV/Home Theater with the TACT amp.
I tested the Panny yesterday (resurrected from my garage) and it seems fine driving a pair of Magnepan planar on-wall speakers (MGMC1).
post #677 of 699 Old 06-01-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftwireEngineer View Post

The high-end Pioneer receivers have Class-D amps but they operate with analog signal as input, where as the Panny works with digital input signal. That is why the Panny is considered a "pure digital" amplifier.
I have had my SA-BX500 for 2 years before I paid $1.5k for an used Tact Digital Integrated Amp (S2150) which was not very different in presentation except that the bass was little bit more tight and nimble.
I am now retiring the Tact and putting the Panny back into action because my family would be happy with one remote for volume/input rather than using a HDMI switcher AND a digital input selector for using the TV/Home Theater with the TACT amp.
I tested the Panny yesterday (resurrected from my garage) and it seems fine driving a pair of Magnepan planar on-wall speakers (MGMC1).

If it does what you want it to do, that is all that counts.
post #678 of 699 Old 09-08-2012, 02:17 PM

Just moved, and after auditioning a stack of expensive modern receivers, went back to the SA-BX500. The sound is just so great and runs cool enough to sit in a cabinet.

Over time I've had good luck getting it to decode new formats and interface with various equipment.

But I might have hit the wall here with 3D.

Using various tricks, like handshaking the TV and BD first, then connecting the SA-BX500, I can occasionally get sound and picture, but not in proper 3D. Sometimes it's blank, sometimes, degraded, sometimes U701 error.

Before I spend too much time on it, can anyone confirm whether they've found a way to pass through 3D with this receiver?

I've heard ideas like a dual-output BD player, but haven't found an affordable 3D model with dual outputs.

Also wondering if someone can vouch for an affordable HDMI splitter that will allow 3D picture with lossless audio on this receiver.
post #679 of 699 Old 09-08-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neild View Post

Just moved, and after auditioning a stack of expensive modern receivers, went back to the SA-BX500. The sound is just so great and runs cool enough to sit in a cabinet.
Over time I've had good luck getting it to decode new formats and interface with various equipment.
But I might have hit the wall here with 3D.
Using various tricks, like handshaking the TV and BD first, then connecting the SA-BX500, I can occasionally get sound and picture, but not in proper 3D. Sometimes it's blank, sometimes, degraded, sometimes U701 error.
Before I spend too much time on it, can anyone confirm whether they've found a way to pass through 3D with this receiver?
I've heard ideas like a dual-output BD player, but haven't found an affordable 3D model with dual outputs.
Also wondering if someone can vouch for an affordable HDMI splitter that will allow 3D picture with lossless audio on this receiver.

I doubt that the SA-BX500 will do 3D. Other newer receivers specify that they will do 3D and it is highly unlikely that you will find this on the spec sheet for this Panasonic. As a side note, the 2nd output on a 3D compatible AVR has nothing to do with 3D. Both outputs should output 3D onto your high definition screen. That second output is usually for those with projectors. So aside from a 3D ready BR player, you have to have a 3D compatible AVR.
post #680 of 699 Old 09-09-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

I doubt that the SA-BX500 will do 3D. Other newer receivers specify that they will do 3D and it is highly unlikely that you will find this on the spec sheet for this Panasonic. As a side note, the 2nd output on a 3D compatible AVR has nothing to do with 3D. Both outputs should output 3D onto your high definition screen. That second output is usually for those with projectors. So aside from a 3D ready BR player, you have to have a 3D compatible AVR.

I'm aware about newer receivers stating they are 3D compatible. But i was hoping for someone with direct experience on this receiver who could say they have definitely done this or definitely ruled it out.

I've made this receiver do things not on the spec sheet and was hoping this would be another undocumented capability.

For the dual ouput BD play my intention would be to have one output go to the TV which could provide the EDID answer back to the movie that yes 3D is compatible, and the other output to the SA-BX500 to receive lossless audio. Wouldn't that work?

If a dual output BD player won't work or can't be found, what about a 3D compatible HDMI splitter? Something like monoprice item 8204 or 7522? Ideally someone with SA-BX500 is doing the same thing and has already found a compatible splitter.
post #681 of 699 Old 09-09-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Good luck. Give it a try.
post #682 of 699 Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM

I'm still running my Panasonic. Newer receivers only get you 3D and room correction right?
post #683 of 699 Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSatch View Post

I'm still running my Panasonic. Newer receivers only get you 3D and room correction right?

It's been so long, I'm not sure others remember exactly what yours has to make comparison. It would be better if you looked at others because I'm sure you know what yours does.

I have an Onkyo 607. To try to answer you ...

On-Screen Programming (I use it a lot and love it), HDMI v1.3 (deep color and 1080p), HD Master Audio, Audyssey, and more power (I think a nicer amp circuit). For something like my brother's 609, add to those ... HDMI v1.4, 3D, ARC, THX, ethernet networking, streaming music. VGA-PC input (but I don't think anyone uses that ... use DVI->HDMI instead).

http://www.onkyousa.com/download/brochure.cfm

New 616 ... even more stuff. 717 and 818 are even nicer.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR616&class=Receiver&p=i

Denon and others have comparable amps.

post #684 of 699 Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

. . . . . On-Screen Programming (I use it a lot and love it), HDMI v1.3 (deep color and 1080p), . . . . .

Nice to see some activity on this thread, and that I'm not the only one still using my SA-BX500. Since I have no intention of ever going 3D (unless we someday get holographic "real" 3D instead of this cheesy-looking cut-out figure type stuff we have now), I'll probably keep using it until it dies.

As for deep color, isn't it true that there are no deep-color sources, so this is a useless feature? Tesla, I'm not being snide, I'm checking to see if my understanding is correct.

There is also something I'd like to confirm about the SA-BX500. Does the "surround" button on the front of the receiver duplicate the "surround off" button on the remote, and is the function of these buttons merely to toggle on/off between "plain vanilla" DD 5.1 (or whatever) versus the various processed sound field modes such as movie, news, action, etc., or for music, jazz club, rock and so on?
post #685 of 699 Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

Looks like i am going to have to start the thread on this product.

No frills, no OSD, no Multi-Eq, allegedly great sound from the Class D

amps.

The big question are those digital amps as good or better than in the

SA-XR55 in this 11lb. midget? Could they break the "Ice"? Sorry, had to

give one under the belt

What got me right away is that its depth is only 12" unlike the SA-XR700 which expands backwards to keep slim. My Sony XBR910 only allows max 13" depth on the A/V shelf, no other HD receiver of the

current crop can fit in there.

Relatively light, yet it did well in some reviews, as you would expect from a basic HD decoding receiver, biamping/biwiring included.

Trilingual notes on the back, likely reflecting the expected mix of users, as EU regulations require

Manual:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SABX500.PDF

Reviews:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-c...AV-Receiver/p1

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/revi...asonic+sabx500

SA-BX500

Power Output Power Output at 20Hz-20kHz

Each Ch. Driven Front (L/R) 130 W x 2 (6ohms, THD 0.7%)

Center 130 W (6ohms, THD 0.7%)

Surround (L/R) 130 W x 2 (6ohms, THD 0.7%)

Surround Back (L/R) 130 W x 2 (6ohms, THD 0.7%)

Total Harmonic Distortion 0.7 % (6ohms)

(at 20Hz- 20kHz)

Frequency Response Input*1 4Hz-40kHz, ±2dB

BD PLAYER 8CH 4Hz-40kHz, ±2dB

S/N (IHF A) Digital Input 97dB

FM Frequency Response 87.9-107.9MHz (200kHz Steps)

87.5-108.0MHz (100kHz Steps)

AM Frequency Response 520-1710kHz

Dolby Digital Decoder (Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus,

Dolby Digital EX)

Dolby Pro Logic (IIx)

DTS Decoder (DTS-HD Master Audio,

DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Low Bit Rate,

DTS ES, Neo:6, DTS 96/24)

Auto Speaker Setup

VIERA Link™ (HDAVI Control 3)

HDMI Inputs/Outputs 3-in, 1-out

Component Video Inputs/Outputs 3-in, 1-out

S-Video Inputs/Outputs 6-in (Front 1-in, Back 5-in), 1-out

Video Inputs/Outputs 6-in (Front 1-in, Back 5-in), 1-out

Video Rec Output 1-out (with S-Video)

Front Audio Input/Video Input 1-in (with S-Video)

Digital Inputs 4 (3-optical, 1-coaxial)

8-ch Discrete Inputs

Audio Inputs/Outputs 6-in, 1-out

Subwoofer Output

Digital Synthesizer Tuner

Universal Dock for iPod® /SH-PD10*2

Remote Control (Universal)

Weight (lb.) (Approx.) 11

Dimensions (W x H x D) (inch) (Approx.) 16-15/16" x 6-1/4" x 13-11/32"

*1 CD,AUX,TV,GAME,CABLE/SAT,VCR, DVD RECORDER,BD/DVD PLAYER,Option Port

*2 With the purchase of SH-PD10.

*Notes: Total harmonic distortion is measured by digital spectrum analyzer.

Total harmonic distortion is measured by using AES 17 filter.

I ordered mine tonight, we'll have to see it beats the revered SA-XR55.

I have been using an SA-XR70 for 3 years now in the kids room. This replaces it, i have nothing but high expectations.

Will post impressions.

Don't get me wrong though, i am still keeping my balanced separates system in the basement 3 row HT

i have got one similar thread. It works awesome
post #686 of 699 Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 AM

Yes, the surround button on the front panel has remote "surround on" and "surround off" buttons that turn the front panel button on/off.
post #687 of 699 Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLittleTimeZZZ View Post

Yes, the surround button on the front panel has remote "surround on" and "surround off" buttons that turn the front panel button on/off.

Hey TLTZZZ--

Thanks for responding, but I'm not following you and I think you might be incorrect. There is no "surround on" button on the remote. There is a field on the remote labeled "surround" that contains 5 buttons, which are labeled: 1) OFF; 2) DD PLIIx; 3) NEO:6; 4) SFC MUSIC; 5) SFC MOVIE.

If you watch the front panel illuminated display on the receiver, buttons 4 and 5 turn on, and cycle you through, the various sound field effects. Pressing button 1), i.e., "OFF", cancels the SFC and takes you back to unprocessed Dolby Digital -- 5.1, 2 channel, or whatever is coming into the digital input. Pressing the OFF button again does NOT toggle SFC back on, it does nothing. To turn SFC back on, you have to hit music or movie again (or, press the "surround" button on the front panel). Unlike the "off" button on the remote, the surround button on the front panel is a toggle on/off for the SFC, but I do not know how you cycle through the various modes using the front panel buttons.

The buttons on the remote do not "turn the front panel button on/off," although I guess you could think of it that way. I think of it as, the buttons duplicate the same function on the AVR; except in this case not exactly, since the 'surround off" button on the remote does not toggle SFC on/off like the front panel button does, it only works as an "off."

I believe I have confirmed my understanding by referring to pages 28-29 of the manual, following the oft-repeated advice in these forums to RTFM. However, something very confusing to me on page 29 is: "The factory setting is 'MOVIE' of Dolby Pro Logic IIx." I don't know if this means that pressing the DD PLIIx button on the remote is the same as turning on the movie SC modes, or something different. It seems like it should be the latter, which is what makes this statement so confusing to me. Any AV rocket scientists out there that can explain this?
post #688 of 699 Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM

Hi Goes to 11,

Sorry, but I was referring to the "buttons" programmed on my Harmony One remote, not the manufacturer's remote. There are often IR codes you can use that the manufacturer doesn't put on their own remote, and this is such a case. Those on/off IR codes turn on/off the last surround setting you used without changing which surround you've chosen. In that way it's the same as the button on the front of the receiver.
post #689 of 699 Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLittleTimeZZZ View Post

Hi Goes to 11,
Sorry, but I was referring to the "buttons" programmed on my Harmony One remote, not the manufacturer's remote. There are often IR codes you can use that the manufacturer doesn't put on their own remote, and this is such a case. Those on/off IR codes turn on/off the last surround setting you used without changing which surround you've chosen. In that way it's the same as the button on the front of the receiver.

Got it! Now I need to check how I have my Harmony programmed. I think I have separate on and off buttons, a toggle would be better. Since I don't use the SFC modes much if at all, it's never been an issue. But now I'm curious.
post #690 of 699 Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

Hey TLTZZZ--
Thanks for responding, but I'm not following you and I think you might be incorrect. There is no "surround on" button on the remote. There is a field on the remote labeled "surround" that contains 5 buttons, which are labeled: 1) OFF; 2) DD PLIIx; 3) NEO:6; 4) SFC MUSIC; 5) SFC MOVIE.
If you watch the front panel illuminated display on the receiver, buttons 4 and 5 turn on, and cycle peimar led lights you through, the various sound field effects. Pressing button 1), i.e., "OFF", cancels the SFC and takes you back to unprocessed Dolby Digital -- 5.1, 2 channel, or whatever is coming into the digital input. Pressing the OFF button again does NOT toggle SFC back on, it does nothing. To turn SFC back on, you have to hit music or movie again (or, press the "surround" button on the front panel). Unlike the "off" button on the remote, the surround button on the front panel is a toggle on/off for the SFC, but I do not know how you cycle through the various modes using the front panel buttons.
The buttons on the remote do not "turn the front panel button on/off," although I guess you could think of it that way. I think of it as, the buttons duplicate the same function on the AVR; except in this case not exactly, since the 'surround off" button on the remote does not toggle SFC on/off like the front panel button does, it only works as an "off."
I believe I have confirmed my understanding by referring to pages 28-29 of the manual, following the oft-repeated advice in these forums to RTFM. However, something very confusing to me on page 29 is: "The factory setting is 'MOVIE' of Dolby Pro Logic IIx." I don't know if this means that pressing the DD PLIIx button on the remote is the same as turning on the movie SC modes, or something different. It seems like it should be the latter, which is what makes this statement so confusing to me. Any AV rocket scientists out there that can explain this?

This is much better way.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page