Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 699 Old 05-05-2009, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post

So nobody can answer these simple questions about this receiver?

It's a sparse thread.

There are 3 or 4 dedicated input buttons on the remote, you have to cycle through with the input button to get to 7.1 analog though. EDIT - ah, yes, the press and hold routine.

No clicking for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 699 Old 05-05-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:

This receiver do make clicking sound while switching between 2 ch and stereo but they are not very loud, still audible though.

There is a dedicated button for 8 ch analog input but it is shared with BD/DVD input and comes up as a secondary function by pressing the button for couple seconds.
post #243 of 699 Old 05-05-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnaive View Post

This receiver do make clicking sound while switching between 2 ch and stereo but they are not very loud, still audible though.

There is a dedicated button for 8 ch analog input but it is shared with BD/DVD input and comes up as a secondary function by pressing the button for couple seconds.

Onething though, I have bi-wire/bi-amp setup and since Bi-amp works only in stereo operation it is quite possible that clicking sound phenomenon may occurs only in a bi-amp setup switching between surround and stereo. Perhaps someone else could confirm it.
post #244 of 699 Old 05-05-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Does this receiver make the same very loud clicking sounds when it switches from 2 channel to surround?

Clicking as in (fairly large sounding) relays clicking internally, or clicking sounds coming from the speakers (probably louder depending on the current setting of the volume control)?

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #245 of 699 Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgersftw View Post

OK, I've been unplugging, replugging, rerouting, and generally doing everything in my power to combat this high frequency whine/feedback/digital distortion I get at any volume, anywhere in the room. Any ideas on how to combat this, if this is normal, or if my receiver is messed up?

Help please!

Are you using a APC battery backup, line conditioner, or power strip? A long heavy duty 3-prong extention cord (like for yard work) might help you to easily try another outlet.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #246 of 699 Old 05-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
rutgersftw...the only thing I can think of, unless you have a bad unit, is groundloop hum. I can't remember if the power cord is 3 or 2 pronged. If it's 3, try a cheater 2 prong adapter. If it's groundloop hum that should take care of it.
post #247 of 699 Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm currently using an APC C9 power conditioner type device and it doesn't seem to do much. The power cord is a two prong, so the ground shouldn't be a problem, right?

I was able to reposition the APC, Xbox 360 power adapter, and wireless router further away from the BX500 and, as of now, I seem to have cut the noise down markedly. I've never seen an AVR so sensitive to interference. The whining/feedback sounded very much like a cell phone coming through a car radio or a morse code beep like a fax machine sending (but quieter). Very very weird. I know Panny makes a good unit, and now that I seem to have slayed this noise beast I hope to have many great years of use with this unit. Not the most auspicious beginning to our relationship, though.
post #248 of 699 Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 PM

Any ideas on whether using the panny SH-PD10 iPod adapter with the BX500 is a good way to go?

I'm guessing that it has a direct digital input from the iPod, so would be good. Any thoughts on that, or perhaps other alternatives?
post #249 of 699 Old 05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm currently using an APC C9 power conditioner type device and it doesn't seem to do much. The power cord is a two prong, so the ground shouldn't be a problem, right?

I was able to reposition the APC, Xbox 360 power adapter, and wireless router further away from the BX500 and, as of now, I seem to have cut the noise down markedly. I've never seen an AVR so sensitive to interference. The whining/feedback sounded very much like a cell phone coming through a car radio or a morse code beep like a fax machine sending (but quieter). Very very weird. I know Panny makes a good unit, and now that I seem to have slayed this noise beast I hope to have many great years of use with this unit. Not the most auspicious beginning to our relationship, though.

If you have a connected cable box in your system, chances are that you indeed have a ground loop issue. I had this come up with a pair of subs (horrible noise) until I bought a $9 video filter at parts express that screwed onto the output cable plug on the back of the box. Stopped the noise instantly. This can happen when some components have 3 prong plugs, & others in your system only have 2
Just a thought...
post #250 of 699 Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLittleTimeZZZ View Post

Any ideas on whether using the panny SH-PD10 iPod adapter with the BX500 is a good way to go?

I'm guessing that it has a direct digital input from the iPod, so would be good. Any thoughts on that, or perhaps other alternatives?

Does anyone know if this add on unit is ipod only (as in proprietary connector), or can you use any player that has a mini stereo headphone output jack?
post #251 of 699 Old 05-05-2009, 10:41 PM

Guys, I'm think of upgrading my Sony STR K900 to this receiver because my current one doesn't do audio over hdmi.
My current speakers are, Polk monitor 40's fronts, plk cs1 center and polk monitor 30's surround, Acoustic Audio HD-SUB12 12".
What is this biamping?
post #252 of 699 Old 05-06-2009, 02:13 AM

OK, so before I jump on the Panny wagon, this BX500 is a decent receiver for the price? It'll be in a small room now and when I got to university and my speakers will probably be one year old Klipsch LCRs all around.

From what I've read of the early adopters, it's a win-win for the price and quality. Anyone else have anything to add before I decide to jump in the Panny wagon?
post #253 of 699 Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The only real negative I had with the unit was that I needed more that 3 hdmi inputs and the panny and hdmi switcher I use don't play well together.
post #254 of 699 Old 05-06-2009, 07:12 AM

The SH-PD10 is a full iPod dock that plugs into the panny's "Option port" jack on the back and provides DC power to the iPod as well as gets the audio. I can't confirm whether the audio is feeding to the panny digitally or as analog though. Can any of you tell?

Panasonic SHPD10 iPod Dock

it's compatible with the following types of iPod:
Name Memory size
iPod nano 2nd generation (aluminum) 2GB, 4GB, 8GB
iPod 5th generation (video) 60GB, 80GB
iPod 5th generation (video) 30GB
iPod nano 1st generation 1GB, 2GB, 4GB
iPod 4th generation (color display) 40GB, 60GB
iPod 4th generation (color display) 20GB, 30GB
iPod 4th generation 40GB
iPod 4th generation 20GB
iPod mini 4GB, 6GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

Does anyone know if this add on unit is ipod only (as in proprietary connector), or can you use any player that has a mini stereo headphone output jack?

post #255 of 699 Old 05-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

If you have a connected cable box in your system, chances are that you indeed have a ground loop issue. I had this come up with a pair of subs (horrible noise) until I bought a $9 video filter at parts express that screwed onto the output cable plug on the back of the box. Stopped the noise instantly. This can happen when some components have 3 prong plugs, & others in your system only have 2
Just a thought...

Hmm. Silly question, but is this what the cable input/output on the side of my power conditioner will do? I guess it's worth a shot since they're just sitting there anyway.
post #256 of 699 Old 05-06-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

Hmm. Silly question, but is this what the cable input/output on the side of my power conditioner will do? I guess it's worth a shot since they're just sitting there anyway.

Probably not. Anyway, try disconnecting your cable from the wall. If the noise goes away, then you can buy a ground loop isolator. If that is the problem, I can send you a link to where to get one.

xnappo
post #257 of 699 Old 05-06-2009, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The cycling through inputs is a joke. Why is there no "CD" button on the remote to directly access your CD (or Squeezebox)? There is on the 55/57. Now I have to connect my Squeezebox to the button "DVD Recorder". Come on, there's room for a CD button, and if there isn't put a CD button and not a DVD Recorder button. What percentage of people have a CD player versus a DVD Recorder? I know it doesn't matter what the button says, but I'd rather have it say CD if I want to listen to music.
post #258 of 699 Old 05-06-2009, 06:07 PM

My feedback problem seems to be at bay. If it resurfaces I'll try the loop killing strategies, thanks. It's weird but I'm going to try to not freak out.

I switched out the fronts to Infinity Betas and, well, this is a system of beauty. I think I might become a Panny herder too. I was scared they were done making receivers after the 57, and when they came back with this model I was excited (but a little dismayed by the initial price). Now that it's affordable Panasonic can reclaim the affordable hi-fi crown.
post #259 of 699 Old 05-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Does this receiver upconvert analog singals to HDMI, and if so, at what resolution?
post #260 of 699 Old 05-07-2009, 07:43 AM

I'm a noob at this, but I've been really happy with Panasonic. I have two CRT's that never gave a problem, I have a 5085u that is wonderful. I should be picking up a BD60 at the end of the month because of the outstanding reviews. So now I come across this receiver.... I'd like a new receiver, as mine does not do HDMI. Everything else Panasonic does is raved about, how come there is such little talk about this receiver? I've read this thread a few times, but can someone do a real world summary of this receiver? Pros, cons, why this over say an HK 247, or a Pio 918/1018, or a Yamaha 663? Thanks in advance for your help.
post #261 of 699 Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@C&C View Post

I'm a noob at this, but I've been really happy with Panasonic. I have two CRT's that never gave a problem, I have a 5085u that is wonderful. I should be picking up a BD60 at the end of the month because of the outstanding reviews. So now I come across this receiver.... I'd like a new receiver, as mine does not do HDMI. Everything else Panasonic does is raved about, how come there is such little talk about this receiver? I've read this thread a few times, but can someone do a real world summary of this receiver? Pros, cons, why this over say an HK 247, or a Pio 918/1018, or a Yamaha 663? Thanks in advance for your help.

I think the lack of excitement was because up to a few months ago it cost $500-800, a price range at which many people felt it was lacking features it should have - RoomEQ, more HDMI inputs, analog upconversion, and an on-screen display. OTOH, the use of D-amps means it weighs 12 pounds, runs super cool even crammed into tight spaces, and only draws 150 watts of electricity at peak.

Even with those problems, however, this Panasonic and the previous generation of Panasonic receivers with Class D amps are felt by many to outperform the weak, traditional amps of competing receivers by Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. The sound itself is open, clear, fast, precise, beautiful, and easy on the ears.

Set up is easy as long as you read the manual. For me, I love the simplicity. I don't have any analog video devices in my signal chain, but even if I did I'd simply connect the video through the receiver and run another cable to the back of the TV (or just run video straight to TV) - no big deal for me. The lack of video processing is nice because it keeps its hands off the signal.

I've owned a HK 247 - stay away at this point. The Panasonic has an additional HDMI input. The video processing is terrible and a nightmare from the HK - anything below 720P is automatically upconverted and resent to the TV for reconversion - this leads to jaggies, noise, muted colors, etc. No fun. While the remote on the Panasonic is spartan, the HKs is overkill to the extreme. There are buttons which don't even do anything, and they're all tiny. Build quality is not so great either - I had three RCA connectors pull out when I disconnected it (and I pulled/twisted gently). It weighs a ton, which many people like, but since the Panasonic brings just as much power to the table (likely more, and likely cleaner) there's no reason to pay the same for a refurb from Harman as you can get this Panny new.

The Yamaha and Pioneer are both very nice units that have some of the features reviewers complain about the Panasonic lacking, but they both cost more. These Panasonic digital receivers are poorly understood by consumers and reviewers alike, and to those of us they appeal to they are simply the best deal around, even at higher prices.

For more information, you can consult the XR55/57 or XR70 owners threads. Those models are very similar to this one, just without/with fewer HDMI jacks, a smaller chassis, and less power.

Buy with confidence, Panasonic fan.
post #262 of 699 Old 05-07-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post

Does this receiver upconvert analog singals to HDMI, and if so, at what resolution?

No. HDMI will only output HDMI sources.
post #263 of 699 Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 AM

rutgersftw,

Thanks for the great explanation - it makes me feel assured in my purchase - as I was close to getting an h/k 254 - but started reading about the issues esp. with not being able to bypass conversion, as I understand it, in some instances. So I was pleased to come across the BX500 again (as I had instantly discounted it due to price before), esp. as my plasma and DVD recorder will be Panasonic also.

I do have analog sources - but as long as they can pass through I'm happy - I'm keeping an old monster CRT for my SD sources - that's the resolution VHS and DVD were made for - right?!

Haven't set mine up yet (apart from wiring the speakers) as I await cables and then I'm going to try my PS2 as CD through optical(which I've never done) and have to await my plasma to try BD.

Thanks again for the info!

Rob

Kuro for (at least half) life!
post #264 of 699 Old 05-07-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSatch View Post

The cycling through inputs is a joke. Why is there no "CD" button on the remote to directly access your CD (or Squeezebox)? There is on the 55/57. Now I have to connect my Squeezebox to the button "DVD Recorder". Come on, there's room for a CD button, and if there isn't put a CD button and not a DVD Recorder button. What percentage of people have a CD player versus a DVD Recorder? I know it doesn't matter what the button says, but I'd rather have it say CD if I want to listen to music.

Maybe you can glue on a little sticker...?

Yeah, that IS kind of lame. Just keep reminding yourself how much it cost you.
post #265 of 699 Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post

NO upconversion, only passthru
post #266 of 699 Old 05-07-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the lack of excitement was because up to a few months ago it cost $500-800, a price range at which many people felt it was lacking features it should have - RoomEQ, more HDMI inputs, analog upconversion, and an on-screen display. OTOH, the use of D-amps means it weighs 12 pounds, runs super cool even crammed into tight spaces, and only draws 150 watts of electricity at peak.

Even with those problems, however, this Panasonic and the previous generation of Panasonic receivers with Class D amps are felt by many to outperform the weak, traditional amps of competing receivers by Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. The sound itself is open, clear, fast, precise, beautiful, and easy on the ears.

Set up is easy as long as you read the manual. For me, I love the simplicity. I don't have any analog video devices in my signal chain, but even if I did I'd simply connect the video through the receiver and run another cable to the back of the TV (or just run video straight to TV) - no big deal for me. The lack of video processing is nice because it keeps its hands off the signal.

I've owned a HK 247 - stay away at this point. The Panasonic has an additional HDMI input. The video processing is terrible and a nightmare from the HK - anything below 720P is automatically upconverted and resent to the TV for reconversion - this leads to jaggies, noise, muted colors, etc. No fun. While the remote on the Panasonic is spartan, the HKs is overkill to the extreme. There are buttons which don't even do anything, and they're all tiny. Build quality is not so great either - I had three RCA connectors pull out when I disconnected it (and I pulled/twisted gently). It weighs a ton, which many people like, but since the Panasonic brings just as much power to the table (likely more, and likely cleaner) there's no reason to pay the same for a refurb from Harman as you can get this Panny new.

The Yamaha and Pioneer are both very nice units that have some of the features reviewers complain about the Panasonic lacking, but they both cost more. These Panasonic digital receivers are poorly understood by consumers and reviewers alike, and to those of us they appeal to they are simply the best deal around, even at higher prices.

For more information, you can consult the XR55/57 or XR70 owners threads. Those models are very similar to this one, just without/with fewer HDMI jacks, a smaller chassis, and less power.

Buy with confidence, Panasonic fan.

excellent summation post for this unit! I have one due here tomorrow & am looking forward to installing it. It has more HMDI inputs than I need & will suit my needs perfectly, adding the excellent HD audio playbak when I finally break down & buy a BD player. Hoping to feel the love for this one as I still do for my XR55
post #267 of 699 Old 05-07-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Open box available for $250. I couldn't resist and put in an order.

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

post #268 of 699 Old 05-07-2009, 02:36 PM

So what's the deal with 8 ohm not sounding good on this receiver? Will it be a problem down the line? I'm planning on buying some Klipsch RVX-42 and 45 speakers which I believe are rated at 6-8 ohm impedance. Can someone help?

Am I gonna have to search for 4 ohm speakers for this receiver to sound good?
post #269 of 699 Old 05-07-2009, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettzysdaddy View Post

So what's the deal with 8 ohm not sounding good on this receiver?

Who has said this? This AVR is rated for 6-16 ohm load for each speaker, per the back panel markings
post #270 of 699 Old 05-07-2009, 05:13 PM

Could someone tell me:

if you unplug it for a few minutes while on, then plug it back in, does it come on without having to power it on remotely?

Thinking about using it with a switched power supply, and want it to come on by itself when power is supplied.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors