Need a 7.1 RCA Multichannel Audio Cable - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2008, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in need of an analogue multichannel audio interconnect cable for 7.1 surround sound. Most of the cables I find are of the 5.1 (6 channel) variety and the only place that I know of that makes 8 channles (7.1) is Blue Jeans Cables, but the cost is rather high.

I have checked Atlona (Lenexpo Electronics) and Searched for Steren Python but to no avail. Are there any other alternatives of similar quality to Blue Jeans Cable but for less money? Second, where can I find a quality cable in about a 1ft length?

EDIT: Asking for a cheaper alternative to BJC is like a bit of an Oxymoron. After all, they are supposed to be the cheaper high quality alternative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
At the risk of stating the obvious, you can add a stereo 2 channel cable with a 5.1 cable set to handle 7.1 audio, so I don't know why you are so concerned that the cable set be 8 joined or matching cables. That said, check with Monoprice, which has an extensive selection of cable sets. Also, Blue Jeans cables and Markertek can make custom cables for you if you so desire.

"The truth is out there!"
Old 10-28-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I would buy 4 stereo cables from Monoprice.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 10-28-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I would buy 4 stereo cables from Monoprice.

I think the OP wants the color coding on 5.1 HT cable bundles that help avoid wiring mistakes. But then he could use some colored tape or something to help label the connectors and avoid wiring mistakes.

"The truth is out there!"
Old 10-28-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 467
4 pairs of these would cost your $10.20.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Then just label each cable. This is what I did for my analog output on my SACD and also HD-DVD player to my receivers. I only needed 3 pair for each system. They are very well built cables for cheap.

Unless you have to have each cable color coded this is a very inexpensive solution.

And if you need some labels, get these!
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...0-LABEL/1.html

Afro GT
Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

I think the OP wants the color coding on 5.1 HT cable bundles that help avoid wiring mistakes. But then he could use some colored tape or something to help label the connectors and avoid wiring mistakes.

Yes, colour coding really helps reduce mixed up wiring and configuration and labels can fall off. It's Easier to live with and will pay up to $50-60-ish for an 8 channel setup. Belden or Canare Wire preferred but open to other quality options.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:40 PM

So the only advantage of buying a set of 7.1 cables would be to keep it all better organized from a wiring perspective?
Old 11-15-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes808 View Post

So the only advantage of buying a set of 7.1 cables would be to keep it all better organized from a wiring perspective?

Yes and less troubleshooting as well, plus it's much tidier than stands of individually tangled cables. Besides, I need to buy cables for this anyways so they may just as well match the colour coded plugs on my receiver.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
organization : zipties / velcro straps
color coding : you can probably get each color in electrical tape separately plus normal cables for less than the cost of the fancy pants cables, then just use the colored tape on each end, it won't fall off
Old 11-16-2008, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht View Post

organization : zipties / velcro straps
color coding : you can probably get each color in electrical tape separately plus normal cables for less than the cost of the fancy pants cables, then just use the colored tape on each end, it won't fall off

Still a bit messy and tape does loose it's tackiness as it ages.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't know what low grade electrical tape you use, but I've pulled quality tape off of my 20 year old car and had to work at it ! Get the good 3M stuff.

If anything the problem would be once you get it off, it leaves a sticky residue - but if we're talking 'cheap' cables then replacing isn't an issue if that becomes necessary.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht View Post

I don't know what low grade electrical tape you use, but I've pulled quality tape off of my 20 year old car and had to work at it ! Get the good 3M stuff.

If anything the problem would be once you get it off, it leaves a sticky residue - but if we're talking 'cheap' cables then replacing isn't an issue if that becomes necessary.

I still have to buy eight rolls of different colour tape, which amounts to about $20-30. I'd be better off buying purpose made cables from BJC or Atlona.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8086 View Post

I still have to buy eight rolls of different colour tape, which amounts to about $20-30. I'd be better off buying purpose made cables from BJC or Atlona.

$20 to $30 for electrical tape. You need to go to Home Depot. Also another choice that I have used is colored twist ties or colored locking ties.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm posting this to help others in their search. Do a Google search for HOSA CRA-802. The 6' version lists at $36 but can be had for around $20 if you look around.

http://www.hosatech.com/search?q=CRA-802

Took me a while to find this excellent option, and as it turns out, another older model (CRA-802MTL) was available already in 2007, i.e. before this thread was originally created...
Old 02-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bumping an older thread after finding this via a Google search for 7.1 cable options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nielsen View Post

I'm posting this to help others in their search. Do a Google search for HOSA CRA-802. The 6' version lists at $36 but can be had for around $20 if you look around.

http://www.hosatech.com/search?q=CRA-802

Took me a while to find this excellent option, and as it turns out, another older model (CRA-802MTL) was available already in 2007, i.e. before this thread was originally created...

Can you/anyone vouch for Hosa Technology product quality? Is this a "good" cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8086 View Post

Yes, colour coding really helps reduce mixed up wiring and configuration and labels can fall off. It's Easier to live with and will pay up to $50-60-ish for an 8 channel setup. Belden or Canare Wire preferred but open to other quality options.

In case anyone else is also looking for a 7.1 Belden product:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/product.aspx?zpid=3032