TX DS989 multi-channel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-30-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just bought the sony bdp-s550 because of the 7.1 analog out capability.
I was reading under the blu-ray forum that if you use multi-channel on the receiver, it ignores the receiver settings like speaker distance and level and passes what the bluray/hddvd player sends.
Is this correct ?
I hope so seeing the sony only goes down to 4 feet.
I have my hd-a1 set to 0 thinking the receiver is handling the distance and level.
Techno whiplash all over again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-05-2009, 11:21 AM

Liked: 10
I know this is a pretty old thread, but I couldn't find anything else that was related to my question.

A friend of mine recently got a Panny BD55 and connected it to his Onkyo TX DS989 via a RCA to DB25 cable (the multi audio input for the Onkyo). He got no sound at all. Is there any reason this method of connection won't work?

He doesn't live in my area so I'm trying to help him out over the phone when we get a chance, which can be a little difficult.
At this point it seems that the settings on both the Onkyo and the Panny are correct and the cable is new. Any thoughts?

"Some people are like Slinkies--not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."
post #3 of 6 Old 03-05-2009, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyUSP40 View Post

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I couldn’t find anything else that was related to my question.

A friend of mine recently got a Panny BD55 and connected it to his Onkyo TX DS989 via a RCA to DB25 cable (the multi audio input for the Onkyo). He got no sound at all. Is there any reason this method of connection won’t work?

He doesn’t live in my area so I’m trying to help him out over the phone when we get a chance, which can be a little difficult.
At this point it seems that the settings on both the Onkyo and the Panny are correct and the cable is new. Any thoughts?

When your using the multi channel input on the TX-DS989, press the "audio" button on the Onkyo remote control. Pressing it will let you change from using the digital or analog inputs to the multi channel input. Look on the display of the TX-DS989 as you press the 'audio' button and you'll see it change.

Try that.

Cheers from the Great White North.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-05-2009, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the response fuzzy... when I talk to him tomorrow I'll see if he knows/tried that. It's not anything that we've talked about that I remember.

"Some people are like Slinkies--not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."
post #5 of 6 Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 AM

Man this can be very frustrating trying to troubleshoot long distance, I have a new found respect for over the phone technical support .

OK, he did get sound when he changed the setting with the remote as advised by fuzzy. Now, he is running a 5.1 system and is only getting sound from the front and center speakers, nothing from the surrounds.

After looking at both manuals on-line and going over the settings with him, I don't see any reason for the lack of sound from the surrounds.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any help....

post #6 of 6 Old 03-06-2009, 11:28 AM

RowdyUSP40

check out the S550 forum search for 7.1 analog it has the settings you need to set on the S550 to make everything work. I'm not home right now or I would copy my settings. Also the speaker level test only seems to work on the 989 if you have a movie paused then hit the home button on the sony remote and then go into speaker setup. I have mine set to 5.1 but i was told from onkyo that it will accept 7.1 I found a cable and have it on order from canada that someone told me worked for their Onkyo.

If you still have problems let me know maybe I can talk to him directly and tell him what my settings are on both units.

Joe
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page