Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 63 Old 09-25-2014, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrdog2 View Post
Honestly I tried the cheap UPS route, and it didn't work. Before I was using the ups, I would notice that I was loosing settings without a full power loss (brown out maybe). None of the clocks in my house needed to be reset, but my settings were gone. I got out a UPS that I already had and it still didn't work - I'd hear the UPS do a single "beep" from time to time, indicating that it was running on battery power for a brief moment. Of course I'd find that the receiver settings had been lost. It seems like even the slightest loss of power causes the thing to loose it's mind.

I too had difficulty locating a pc with a serial port on it. If you our a friend family member has a good relationship with their IT department, ask if they have an old loaner laptop (business PCs are much more likely to have a serial port on it).

That said, while harman recommends against it, people have reported that the usb to serial adapters work fine. A review for the one linked below, even suggests that harman recommended it (search for harman and you'll find a review updating his 254):
.amazon.com/StarTech-RS232-Serial-Adapter-Cable/dp/B000067SNB
Thanks brrrdog2. Hoping somebody else will confirm it's working before I try to figure out how in the hell I'm going to apply this update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 Old 10-15-2014, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryewhiskey View Post
Thanks brrrdog2. Hoping somebody else will confirm it's working before I try to figure out how in the hell I'm going to apply this update
Sigh. I went to the trouble of borrowing an old desktop PC from a friend so I could apply the firmware upgrade to my AVR 635 in the hope of fixing its memory issue. Alas, the upgrade does not appear to have fixed the problem.

After successfully updating my firmware from 4.12 to 4.15, I entered a name for one of my components, turned the unit to standby and then pulled the plug for about 30 seconds. When I turned it back on, it was back to factory settings. Then I tried it again but unplugged the cord for just a few seconds. Same result. All settings lost.

I'm not sure why you're having better luck than me, brrrdog2. Maybe your capacitor isn't as bad as mine. All I know is I'm really bummed out. I love the AVR 635, but not enough to re-enter all my settings every time there's a power outage.
post #63 of 63 Old 10-20-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryewhiskey View Post
Sigh. I went to the trouble of borrowing an old desktop PC from a friend so I could apply the firmware upgrade to my AVR 635 in the hope of fixing its memory issue. Alas, the upgrade does not appear to have fixed the problem.

After successfully updating my firmware from 4.12 to 4.15, I entered a name for one of my components, turned the unit to standby and then pulled the plug for about 30 seconds. When I turned it back on, it was back to factory settings. Then I tried it again but unplugged the cord for just a few seconds. Same result. All settings lost.

I'm not sure why you're having better luck than me, brrrdog2. Maybe your capacitor isn't as bad as mine. All I know is I'm really bummed out. I love the AVR 635, but not enough to re-enter all my settings every time there's a power outage.
Total bummer. I'm really sorry to hear that. My brother has a 635 with a screwy dsp board, but maybe it's good enough to test it on a third one (although he never had the problem to begin with). So maybe I'll give that a shot and let you know.

B
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 635 7 1 Channel Surround Sound Audio Video Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page