Yamaha RX-V861 not playing nice with a new PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-06-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a PS3 and I have been struggling to get the audio to output correctly on the RX-V861. We have the PS3 set to put out Linear PCM 5.1 (our setup) up to 192kHz (which the V861 is supposed to be able to handle). The V861 *seems* to be handling the MPCM just fine, except for the fact that it kicks out center channel audio through the left speaker at times (like when you hear the *clicks* of going through onscreen menu choices). It also does this in instances of any in-game audio that is not 5.1.

I clearly have something set wrong, but for the life of me I can't figure out what, nor have I been able to find one online. We've had this receiver for a while now, and have not had this or any other issue with any of our other setups.

And yes, I have the unit set to Linear PCM output and not Bitstream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-06-2008, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

This is fun, the front right speaker won't put out audio under the PS3's Linear PCM as well.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-06-2008, 06:56 PM

Hmm sounds odd...never heard of the center channel sound coming from the left or right speaker. Maybe theres a defect in the Reciever itself? Doesn't sound like a PS3 issue. Does the center audio come through the left speaker during movie playback? or just the menus? Anyways make sure your PS3 is up to date and that if yamaha has firmware updates to update that. It also could be a setting on your reciever that is playing it in stereo...or a setting in the PS3 that needs to be changed....I know there are mutiple audio settings in the PS3....

Good Luck!!!
post #4 of 4 Old 11-07-2008, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

It resolved itself. Don't know why, don't know how. I was fiddling with cables and wires and settings for around 2 hours. I had all but given up, sitting there watching a DVD I had put in to test out sound settings, and then the full 5.1 just kicked in. Totally out of the blue. MPCM. And thankfully, it hasn't regressed. Very odd, very strange.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page