Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 3245 Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
more info:

My old bluray is hooked up to HDMI 1 and my new bluray is hooked up to HDMI 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3245 Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon summit View Post

Forgive my noobness, there may be an obvious answer.

I bought a new bluray player tonight and am demoing it side by side against my old one that I think is dying. For some reason the on screen display isn't showing up on screen. The volume, etc that showed up on my old bluray are not showing up now.

the movie is 1080p/24, not sure why that would matter, just putting as much info as I can out.

any idea why my on screen display isn't working??

The video section of the Onkyo is effectively in bypass mode with any 1080p/24 source... No on-screen display (or any ISF functions).

Commercial AV Design Engineer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #3153 of 3245 Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

The video section of the Onkyo is effectively in bypass mode with any 1080p/24 source... No on-screen display (or any ISF functions).

Thanks again jcalabria!

Good thing I mentioned it was a 1080p/24 situation. I didn't really think that would matter.
post #3154 of 3245 Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Does anyone know if the 886 has an option to Skip video processing? The PR-SC5508 has the ability to by-pass video upconversion with a front panel procedure that toggles to "skip." This is procedure is located on page 25 of the 5508 manual. I don't find the same in 886 manual. It basically just indicates to set resolution to Through in Monitor Out. The 5508 procedure has no effect on the 886.

I thought I would fly this by here to see if anyone had discovered some other way to do this.
post #3155 of 3245 Old 03-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hooked up an Oppo BDP-93 to my 886.

I have a HDMI cable going from HDMI 1 on the Oppo to HDMI input #3 on the 886. I also have all the analog outputs connected from the Oppo to the multi channel inputs on the Onkyo.

I want to run the video to the 886 via HDMI, however, I want to use the analog connections for the audio (DVD Hi-def soundracks, CDs, SACDs, and DVD-A discs.

I have tried numerous settings on the Oppo and the 886 to use the analog connections (and not thru the HDMI connection) for all audio. So far I have not been able to do so.

I posted a similiar question a few months ago using an Oppo 95, and I couldnt get that to work either. I replaced the 95 with a 93 and Im banging my head against a wall!

Any suggestions?
post #3156 of 3245 Old 03-06-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Assuming the BDP-93 is outputting multichannel audio and they are connected to the multichannel inputs on the 886... there are two settings that should control whether you hear the multichannel analog for a particular input (For this example, we'll assume that the BDP is associated with the DVD logical input, but it could be any of the logical inputs):

First, the multichannel input needs to be assigned to the DVD logical input. This is on Menu 1-5, Analog Audio Input. Make sure that "DVD" is shown next to the "Multich" entry on that menu.

Second, you need to use the AUDIO SEL function to select the desired audio sub-input for the current logical input (DVD). Choices are:
  • HDMI - selects audio from the HDMI input assigned to the DVD logical input via menu 1-2
  • AUTO - selects audio from whatever optical or coax digital audio source is assigned to the DVD logical input audio via menu 1-4
  • MULTICH - selects audio from the multichannel analog input IF you have previousuly assigned it to the DVD logical input as described above
  • ANALOG - selects audio from the 2-channel analog input normally associated with the DVD logical input
You could actually have all four audio sub-inputs being fed simultaneously and select between them with the AUDIO SEL function without disturbing your video path at all. This is handy for comparisons or you can use it as an audio breakaway to switch audio only to a completely different source (handy for some dual display or PiP setups, or to combine different audio feeds with slide shows).

Also know that if you have a programmable remote, the 886 does support discrete selection of the audio sub-inputs... but with the OE remote you are stuck with wrapping/scrolling through the inputs.

Finally, be aware that when using the analog multichannel inputs you will lose most 886 DSP functionality, including Audyssey and bass management.

PS... Sorry, gotta mention this, but... are you SURE that you are connected to the 886 multichannel INPUTS and not the mutichannel preamp OUTPUTS? They look very similar and are right next to each other! (You would not be the first to get caught by that one!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3157 of 3245 Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Finally, be aware that when using the analog multichannel inputs you will lose most 886 DSP functionality, including Audyssey and bass management.

Right and you are also subjecting the high-quality analog output of the 95 to the mediocre analog input stage of the 886.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #3158 of 3245 Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info gentleman. I will try what is suggested, including making sure I have the cables going to the correct "inputs" and not "outputs" (I have XLR cables going to my amp).

I was also hoping that when making the correct settings, I could just select the input and listen regardless if its a CD, DVD with DTS -MA, or a DVD-Audio disc without having to manually change anything.

I also have a Harmony One remote.
post #3159 of 3245 Old 03-07-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1966 View Post

Thanks for the info gentleman. I will try what is suggested, including making sure I have the cables going to the correct "inputs" and not "outputs" (I have XLR cables going to my amp).

I was also hoping that when making the correct settings, I could just select the input and listen regardless if its a CD, DVD with DTS -MA, or a DVD-Audio disc without having to manually change anything.

I also have a Harmony One remote.

Once the Multichannel sub-input is assigned and then Selected, it should not change for that logical input unless you change it. The 886 won't care about the source format because all it sees is analog audio coming in. It doesn't even know how many channels are active at a given time... it just passes each of them from the BDP straight to the power power amp, with pretty much only volume control in the path. There will be no decoding modes to choose or listening modes to set.

post #3160 of 3245 Old 03-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

"Once the Multichannel sub-input is assigned and then Selected, it should not change for that logical input unless you change it. The 886 won't care about the source format because all it sees is analog audio coming in. It doesn't even know how many channels are active at a given time... it just passes each of them from the BDP straight to the power power amp, with pretty much only volume control in the path. There will be no decoding modes to choose or listening modes to set"

So if I want to listen to a CD, I can set the 886 to accept the analog 2 ch signal, but if I then throw in a SACD I need to switch listening modes?

I would be fine if movies always accepted audio from the HDMI input....
post #3161 of 3245 Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
[quote=cp1966;21747822]
Quote:

So if I want to listen to a CD, I can set the 886 to accept the analog 2 ch signal, but if I then throw in a SACD I need to switch listening modes?

If the SACD is 2CH no but if it is a MCH SACD you would want to use the Audio Sel button to select the Multich input or you could use HDMI. As mentioned earlier you do not have use of any listening modes when using the Multich analog input. With the 2CH analog input (eg: CD input) you would have the use of listening mode presets as well as Audyssey. But when using either the Direct or Pure modes Audyssey is disabled.

Quote:

I would be fine if movies always accepted audio from the HDMI input....

The 886 will but again you would need to use Audio Sel button to switch to the HDMI input.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3162 of 3245 Old 03-11-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I have a question. I haven't visited this thread in a long time. My 886 has worked perfectly since the day I installed. I still have no reason to upgrade nor plan to.

Anyway, I am about to enter the world of headphones. I've owned a pair of Hd280s for years. I am getting a pair of akg q701s shortly. They require a lot of power from what I've read. I am leaning towards getting a little dot mkiii to pair with it. My question is how do I connect a headphones amp to the 886? Most of my equipment is connected via hdmi. Can i connect the headphones amp to the tape monitor output of the 886 and get all audio from all hdmi connected components? I've got a bad feeling that isn't the case and I'll have to connect analog cables from all sources to the 886. if that's the case I will probably just run analog cables from my oppo player directly to the headphones amp.
post #3163 of 3245 Old 03-12-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

I have a question. I haven't visited this thread in a long time. My 886 has worked perfectly since the day I installed. I still have no reason to upgrade nor plan to.

Anyway, I am about to enter the world of headphones. I've owned a pair of Hd280s for years. I am getting a pair of akg q701s shortly. They require a lot of power from what I've read. I am leaning towards getting a little dot mkiii to pair with it. My question is how do I connect a headphones amp to the 886? Most of my equipment is connected via hdmi. Can i connect the headphones amp to the tape monitor output of the 886 and get all audio from all hdmi connected components? I've got a bad feeling that isn't the case and I'll have to connect analog cables from all sources to the 886. if that's the case I will probably just run analog cables from my oppo player directly to the headphones amp.

bm,

I would try the Q701s with the 886 before buying a HP amp. You never know as the 886's HP output might provide all the power you need. I use the HP output of my 886 with my Denon AHD2000s and I find there is plenty of power. The Q701s might require more power than the AHD2000s but it is worth a shot.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3164 of 3245 Old 03-12-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

bm,

I would try the Q701s with the 886 before buying a HP amp. You never know as the 886's HP output might provide all the power you need. I use the HP output of my 886 with my Denon AHD2000s and I find there is plenty of power. The Q701s might require more power than the AHD2000s but it is worth a shot.

Bill

I plan on trying the 886's HP output with the 701s. I have used it with my HD280s and it works well enough. A friend of mine has a very nice Woo audio tube HP amp. He has been trying to get me to buy one. I am not prepared to spend that much money. The Little Dot MKiii seems like a decent amp for @250.

Anyway, if I did get an amp is there a way to connect it to the 886 so all audio is transmitted through it like the headphone jack does? I believe there is a tape monitor output, or whatever it's called, that should be able to do that. I'll read the manual tonight when I get home.
post #3165 of 3245 Old 03-12-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:

I plan on trying the 886's HP output with the 701s. I have used it with my HD280s and it works well enough. A friend of mine has a very nice Woo audio tube HP amp. He has been trying to get me to buy one. I am not prepared to spend that much money. The Little Dot MKiii seems like a decent amp for @250.

Anyway, if I did get an amp is there a way to connect it to the 886 so all audio is transmitted through it like the headphone jack does? I believe there is a tape monitor output, or whatever it's called, that should be able to do that. I'll read the manual tonight when I get home.

I'm sure there is a way to do this. It also depends on the headphone amp though. Maybe you could connect the headphone amp to zone 2?
post #3166 of 3245 Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I checked the manual tonight. It doesn't give me a solid answer. There is a tape monitor out but it doesn't say if it will output audio regardless of the input. I did read that zone 2 and 3 may be an option as well. But again it doesn't state if they will ouput all audio regardless of the input type. I would like to verify that one of them will ouput all audio regardless of the input, like the headphone output does, but with no gain.

I did order the AKG Q701's today. I have been reading about HP amps all day. Just like anything else in home audio/theater, it is overwhelming how much info there is. I am gonna wait until I break in the 701's before I order anything. Maybe the 886's HP output will be powerful enough and I won't bother with a HP amp. I doubt that but it is a possibility.
post #3167 of 3245 Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

... Maybe the 886's HP output will be powerful enough and I won't bother with a HP amp...

The Onkyo HP output will be more than enough. My AKGs are even more efficient than my Sennheisers, which also work just fine from the HP jack on my 886.

Good idea to hold off on buying a dedicated HP amp until you decide if you like the bright sound of the AKG. If you do get a HP amp, connect it directly to your (Oppo?) disc player.
post #3168 of 3245 Old 03-13-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I would prefer to run everything through the 886 and have it output to the headphone amp if that is possible. I mainly use my Oppo player for music but I would like the ability to use all of my components connected to the 886.
post #3169 of 3245 Old 03-14-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I would prefer to run everything through the 886 and have it output to the headphone amp if that is possible. I mainly use my Oppo player for music but I would like the ability to use all of my components connected to the 886.

Which Oppo do you have? Even if it is the 93 that only has one (7.1) analog output you could use that for the HP amp if you do get one. That is if you are using only HDMI to the 886. I would think you wouldn't get the best SQ by using the tape monitor but I've never tried it. I believe that with Zone 2/3 it does not allow the use of digital sources (HDMI, optical or coaxial). I really think for the best possible SQ that running the HP amp direct off the Oppo would be the best way to go. When I listen to my HP's with the 886 I use the MCH analog input to get the least amount of processing from the 886.

Bill

post #3170 of 3245 Old 03-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have my OPPO BDP-93 connected by it's HDMI 2 to my 886's HDMI input 1.
I do not have an HDMI display connected to the output of the 886.
I cannot get the processor to display Dolby or DTS TRUE AUDIO on the display.
It sounds like it's playing basic DD and DTS. I do have the 7 channels of audio cables going to the 886 in analog mode but would really like the 886 to handle the HD audio format processing.
My OPPO HDMI 1 is going to the Lumagen video processor then to a projector.
I want to use the 886 for audio only.
Is there any setting I am missing or does the 886 have to recognize a handshake from an HDMI video display to process the HD audio signal.
Any thoughts are really appreciated.
post #3171 of 3245 Old 03-18-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Winslow View Post

I have my OPPO BDP-93 connected by it's HDMI 2 to my 886's HDMI input 1.
I do not have an HDMI display connected to the output of the 886.
I cannot get the processor to display Dolby or DTS TRUE AUDIO on the display.
It sounds like it's playing basic DD and DTS. I do have the 7 channels of audio cables going to the 886 in analog mode but would really like the 886 to handle the HD audio format processing.
My OPPO HDMI 1 is going to the Lumagen video processor then to a projector.
I want to use the 886 for audio only.
Is there any setting I am missing or does the 886 have to recognize a handshake from an HDMI video display to process the HD audio signal.
Any thoughts are really appreciated.

This doesn't make sense to me. If you are using the analog out then the Oppo is doing all of the decoding right? If you are using the HDMI to transmit audio than it would decode on the 886.
post #3172 of 3245 Old 03-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaschm View Post

This doesn't make sense to me. If you are using the analog out then the Oppo is doing all of the decoding right? If you are using the HDMI to transmit audio than it would decode on the 886.

I want the 886 to do all the decoding. The Oppo 93 is bitstream outputting and displaying HD audio signals. The 886 is decoding the signal only as basic dd and DTS.
The front display of the 886 does not display Dolby or DTS TRUE HD words.
post #3173 of 3245 Old 03-19-2012, 04:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Winslow View Post

I want the 886 to do all the decoding. The Oppo 93 is bitstream outputting and displaying HD audio signals. The 886 is decoding the signal only as basic dd and DTS.
The front display of the 886 does not display Dolby or DTS TRUE HD words.

Alan,

You need to select the listening modes for each input which is on page 107 of the 886 manual. You do not want the presets set to to Last Valid. If you have the 93 on the DVD input choose that input and set all audio formats to that specific format. In other words set Dolby TrueHD to Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio to DTS-HD Master Audio and so on. If all the presets are set to Last Valid and the 886 was last on DD 5.1 that is the audio format that will be displayed by the 886 no matter what audio format the 93 is outputting.

Bill

post #3174 of 3245 Old 03-19-2012, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Bill, I will try it tonight. Thank you.
post #3175 of 3245 Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried out the headphone output of the 886. It didn't sound bad but it didn't wow me either. I had to raise the volume to max to get decent volume with my AKG Q701's. I order a little dot I+ which is rated highly for low impedance headphones like the q701's. I will try it with the 886 tape monitor output as well as with my oppo bdp-80 stereo outputs and compare them. Hopefully the amp helps a lot. So far I am not impressed with headphones. I never have been. I am trying to find an altrnative for late night listening that still provides the same satisfaction as my speakers. So far i am doubting headphones will be able to come close to my speaker setup.
post #3176 of 3245 Old 05-23-2012, 06:37 AM

IS there any way to make BOTH hdmi outputs active at the same time on this unit?

Thanks,
SCott
post #3177 of 3245 Old 05-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacarmic View Post

IS there any way to make BOTH hdmi outputs active at the same time on this unit?

Thanks,
SCott

Have not heard of it being done, don't think it is possible.
post #3178 of 3245 Old 05-23-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as I know that is not possible. You may be able to buy a cheap monoprice hdmi switch and turn it into a dual splitter. It requires some soldering but from what I've read it is fairly easy to do.
post #3179 of 3245 Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Happy with my 886 but I'm wondering what I'm missing by not having Audyssey Multieq xt32. Any 886 guys on here made the move to the 5508? I'd probably get more response on the 5508 thread but I thought I'd start here.
post #3180 of 3245 Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon summit View Post

Happy with my 886 but I'm wondering what I'm missing by not having Audyssey Multieq xt32. Any 886 guys on here made the move to the 5508? I'd probably get more response on the 5508 thread but I thought I'd start here.
I went from an 886 to a DHC-80.2 (Integra equivalent to 886), and the audio quality in my environment is much improved.

Bob
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page