Onkyo PR-SC886P Pre/Pro Official thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3245 Old 11-25-2008, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
could anyone be kind enough to email me or PM me the discrete codes for the 886 (or 9.9)?

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3245 Old 11-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did the ones I emailed you not work for the 886?

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #63 of 3245 Old 11-25-2008, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post

Did the ones I emailed you not work for the 886?

some did, some didn't....it's wierd. I wonder if there are some differences between the 9.9 and 886 codes, and also between them and the 885/9.8 you sent me

Are there any codes to turn EQ (Audyssey) ON/OFF?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #64 of 3245 Old 11-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

I wish there were discrete codes to toggle between EQ settings but I haven't seen any.

What codes didn't work for you? Did you try the HEX codes from all three #### columns?

Quote:
post #65 of 3245 Old 11-26-2008, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post

I wish there were discrete codes to toggle between EQ settings but I haven't seen any.

if there are codes for triggering the 12V triggers on/off, there has to be some to enable/disable EQ. where did you get the codes from originally?

post #66 of 3245 Old 11-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

It was a while ago but I think I got it from someone over at remotecentral.com forums. I never tried the 12v triggers but the few discrete codes I did try from that list worked so I figured they were all good. I've emailed it to several people over the last year and never heard anything back, so again I figured they were all good. This is for my 885 of course.

Good luck with the discretes for EQ. I'd love to know if you can find some. One way would be to do some experimenting with a HEX editor and trying variations on some existing codes. Probably take a long time but you may stumble across some other things along the way. I can't upload codes to my Harmony or Monster remotes so I've never done it, but I see people over at remotecentral do that kind of stuff all the time.

Quote:
post #67 of 3245 Old 11-26-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I have now had the last couple Onkyo generation receivers and of course was a previous owner of the 885 PRO. I have now had the 886 in my set up for a little over a week. I just recently came from the 906 receiver. The 886 is definitely a step above the 885 and last gen of Onkyo receivers. I have been very impressed with the THX Loudness and Dynamic EQ features. The sound still is enveloping but also has slightly better clarity. Especially while watching with lower volumes. As always the THX Ultra2 Cinema mode still remains my favorite for Dolby TrueHD 5.1 titles. I am still playing with the sound modes for sports (mainly football) but am still liking the PLIIx. Also the new GUI looks pretty cool. And it is very easy to navigate. Speaking of the GUI it is also very nice to be able to calibrate each HDMI input with the various picture settings to your liking. That was really missed on the last gen and much welcomed here. Another cool addition is the microphone has changed. This newer one really works well and I felt doing Audyssey was more accurate which led to better sound structure. You can see it in pic 3. As you can see the 886 looks pretty much exactly like the 885. (pic 1). They do sound a lot alike and if you never heard the 886 then you could easily be content with keeping your 885. Breaking glass and rain does have more clarity as does bullets flying and bombs exploding. The 886 PRO is exactly what you would expect for their second gen Pre/Pro. Terrific sound, a lot of adjustment options, and cool new features like THX Loudness and Dynamic EQ.
LL
LL
LL

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #68 of 3245 Old 11-26-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Joe,
some interesting thoughts. I'm curious about your preference for THX Ultra2 Cinema, as the manual states that THX Ultra2 was designed for 7.1 setups (see page 79's table for TruHD, and page 84 for THX ultra2 cinema description):
Quote:
Originally Posted by 886 manual, page 84 View Post

THX Ultra2 Cinema
This mode expands 5.1-channel sources for 7.1-
channel playback. It does this by analyzing the composition
of the surround source, optimizing the
ambient and directional sounds to produce the surround
back channel output

I assume you are expanding the trueHD 5.1 native source to 7.1 since you have a 7.1 setup, correct?

I switched between THX Cinema(engages THX loudness and Re-EQ) and regular (Audyssey DynamicEQ engaged), and found that under normal Audyssey dynamicEQ, the surround dynamics were better for my room, since I'm using 5.1 at the moment.

post #69 of 3245 Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Oh yes, I would use Ultra2 for 6.1/7.1 set ups. I always leave OFF Re-EQ. Each room will be different of course. I have had almost every receiver and now both of their Pre/Pros and have always liked using the Ultra2 Cinema mode with most 5.1 titles. It is the sweet spot!

post #70 of 3245 Old 11-26-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have now had the last couple Onkyo generation receivers and of course was a previous owner of the 885 PRO. I have now had the 886 in my set up for a little over a week. I just recently came from the 906 receiver. The 886 is definitely a step above the 885 and last gen of Onkyo receivers. I have been very impressed with the THX Loudness and Dynamic EQ features. The sound still is enveloping but also has slightly better clarity. Especially while watching with lower volumes. As always the THX Ultra2 Cinema mode still remains my favorite for Dolby TrueHD 5.1 titles. I am still playing with the sound modes for sports (mainly football) but am still liking the PLIIx. Also the new GUI looks pretty cool. And it is very easy to navigate. Speaking of the GUI it is also very nice to be able to calibrate each HDMI input with the various picture settings to your liking. That was really missed on the last gen and much welcomed here. Another cool addition is the microphone has changed. This newer one really works well and I felt doing Audyssey was more accurate which led to better sound structure. You can see it in pic 3. As you can see the 886 looks pretty much exactly like the 885. (pic 1). They do sound a lot alike and if you never heard the 886 then you could easily be content with keeping your 885. Breaking glass and rain does have more clarity as does bullets flying and bombs exploding. The 886 PRO is exactly what you would expect for their second gen Pre/Pro. Terrific sound, a lot of adjustment options, and cool new features like THX Loudness and Dynamic EQ.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your observations.

Could you please respond to my questions in posting #38?

Thanks again.

Larry

post #71 of 3245 Old 11-26-2008, 12:25 PM

Hi Guys,

I got my 886 yesterday and finally have it set up and configured. Hopefully tonight I'll get a chance to watch a movie and do some further evaluation.

But I've run into a weird problem and I'd like to hear if other's have it.

I connected the 7.1 un-balanced preamp outputs to my amplifiers. When I put the unit into "standby" I get a buzzing sound from all speakers. It's actually quite loud. Not movie soundtrack loud mind you, but definitely very annoying.

Has anyone else run into this??? Any ideas on how to solve it (other than powering off the amps before powering off the pre/pro?

The buzzing goes away after the unit comes on and the relays "click".

As an aside, my previous Meridian 568 5.1 surround processor didn't do this...

Thanks!
post #72 of 3245 Old 11-26-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Larry, I use a Sencore OTC 1000 ColorPRO so believe me when I say the levels are perfect.

post #73 of 3245 Old 11-26-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Larry, I use a Sencore OTC 1000 ColorPRO so believe me when I say the levels are perfect.

Hi Joe,

Thanks very much.

Larry

post #74 of 3245 Old 11-26-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkuster View Post

Hi Guys,

But I've run into a weird problem and I'd like to hear if other's have it.

I connected the 7.1 un-balanced preamp outputs to my amplifiers. When I put the unit into "standby" I get a buzzing sound from all speakers. It's actually quite loud. Not movie soundtrack loud mind you, but definitely very annoying.

Has anyone else run into this??? Any ideas on how to solve it (other than powering off the amps before powering off the pre/pro?

The buzzing goes away after the unit comes on and the relays "click".

this...

dkuster,

I had a similar problem with my 805 when using it as a pre-pro with a NHT Power5 amp. If I powered off the 805 and left the Power5 on by itself I got a hum. It was not really that loud but I could hear it if I got within 2' of my speakers. Power the 805 back up and no hum, dead quiet.

Does your amp have balanced inputs? If your amp does have balanced inputs you could try using balanced connections to eliminate the buzz. Does your amp have a 12v trigger? That way you could set it so the amp powers off with the 886. I had the 805 set so I could trigger the Power5 off with the 805. I never did find out what was causing the hum (ground loop?) but it did not concern me as it was not present when my system was up and running.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #75 of 3245 Old 11-26-2008, 04:07 PM

Hi Bill,

No, my amps are unbalanced and have no triggers.

Interestingly, the hum is loudest in my front L/R speakers. The amp driving them is fed by my longest run of RCA interconnects (12 feet). So it makes sense that they're picking up the most noise and amplifying it.

I just purchased a small, active, XLR to RCA converter. I'm going to try and replace the long runs of unbalanced interconnect with a long run of balanced + a super short run of RCA unbalanced.

Hopefullly this will help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

dkuster,

I had a similar problem with my 805 when using it as a pre-pro with a NHT Power5 amp. If I powered off the 805 and left the Power5 on by itself I got a hum. It was not really that loud but I could hear it if I got within 2' of my speakers. Power the 805 back up and no hum, dead quiet.

Does your amp have balanced inputs? If your amp does have balanced inputs you could try using balanced connections to eliminate the buzz. Does your amp have a 12v trigger? That way you could set it so the amp powers off with the 886. I had the 805 set so I could trigger the Power5 off with the 805. I never did find out what was causing the hum (ground loop?) but it did not concern me as it was not present when my system was up and running.

Bill

post #76 of 3245 Old 11-27-2008, 02:36 AM

I have the same humming problem if I turn on my power amp (NAD 973) before the 886 is fully up and running.

When the 886's relay kicks in, no hum at all.
post #77 of 3245 Old 11-27-2008, 01:56 PM

Hi,

I have the european version of 886. It is connected with a BR Panasonic BD55 in HDMI.
The BD55 is set with Bitstream Audio out, but the 886 cannot display the wonderfull logo DTS HD MTR on the display.

Could you help me please ?

Thanks !

Par Toutatis !
Asterix !
post #78 of 3245 Old 11-27-2008, 03:44 PM

Tried posting this in the dedicated 9.9 thread, but didn't get any response. I've noticed that my 9.9 can't apply and video adjustments to Blu-ray playback from my PS3. Immediate display also doesn't seem work. The only thing I can think of is that 1080p source material is completely passed through and won't allow any changes to the picture.
Has anyone had the chance to play with the video adjustments in their 886's to confirm if the same thing is happening?
post #79 of 3245 Old 11-27-2008, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix007 View Post

Hi,

I have the european version of 886. It is connected with a BR Panasonic BD55 in HDMI.
The BD55 is set with Bitstream Audio out, but the 886 cannot display the wonderfull logo DTS HD MTR on the display.

Could you help me please ?

Thanks !

I can verify that with a US version of the 886 and using a Panasonic BD35 that the red log DTS HD MSTR does light up and the information is also in the display when I have selected DTS-HD audio on the only BLU-RAY disc I have at this point that includes a DTS-HD as one of its audio options.

Bob
post #80 of 3245 Old 11-27-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

I also get the BD35 and the 886 combo to show the DTS-HD logo on the 886's front display. You must make sure the audio is set correctly in your Panny's menu.

post #81 of 3245 Old 11-28-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grae View Post

Tried posting this in the dedicated 9.9 thread, but didn't get any response. I've noticed that my 9.9 can't apply and video adjustments to Blu-ray playback from my PS3. Immediate display also doesn't seem work. The only thing I can think of is that 1080p source material is completely passed through and won't allow any changes to the picture.
Has anyone had the chance to play with the video adjustments in their 886's to confirm if the same thing is happening?

Well, I can at least confirm that OSD is disabled on 1080p24 material.
post #82 of 3245 Old 12-01-2008, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

anyone get a confirmation yet on the FW upgrade for enabling Audyssey Pro?

post #83 of 3245 Old 12-01-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

anyone get a confirmation yet on the FW upgrade for enabling Audyssey Pro?

I got this response from Onkyo Europe (Germany):

Quote:

The Audyssey Pro measurement kit is basicly only for trained dealers or professional installers.
The equipment provider should know to use this kit with our AVR including the pre amplifier.
Please notice that this tool is an accessory not sold or supported by ONKYO.
To use the Audyssey installer kit it might be necessary to update the units firmware. Regarding to our information the firmware for using Multi EQ pro will be available beginning of next year.

post #84 of 3245 Old 12-01-2008, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying to snow View Post

I got this response from Onkyo Europe (Germany):

hmm...that sucks (next year).

on another note, where are the manufacturer codes to control other equipment (dvd players, tv, etc) via the onkyo remote? it's not in the manual

post #85 of 3245 Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 AM

In your box it should have come with another manual just for the remote. It has the codes in there.
post #86 of 3245 Old 12-02-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retate View Post

I can verify that with a US version of the 886 and using a Panasonic BD35 that the red log DTS HD MSTR does light up and the information is also in the display when I have selected DTS-HD audio on the only BLU-RAY disc I have at this point that includes a DTS-HD as one of its audio options.

Quote:

I also get the BD35 and the 886 combo to show the DTS-HD logo on the 886's front display. You must make sure the audio is set correctly in your Panny's menu.

Thanks for you help.
I reset my BD55, I can see the DTS-HD, strange because the audio settings are the same before the reset...
Yesterday I watched Iron Man in DTS-HD (Logo on the 886's display ON) and after I put Spiderman 1 in DD True HD -> No Logo ? ? ?
I restart 886 and BD55... still no Logo, I look into the setup menu of BD55 and I see that the Secondary Audio was set to ON, I change it to OFF, and now the True HD logo appear...

Par Toutatis !
Asterix !
post #87 of 3245 Old 12-03-2008, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix007 View Post

Yesterday I watched Iron Man in DTS-HD (Logo on the 886's display ON) and after I put Spiderman 1 in DD True HD -> No Logo ? ? ?
I restart 886 and BD55... still no Logo, I look into the setup menu of BD55 and I see that the Secondary Audio was set to ON, I change it to OFF, and now the True HD logo appear...

correct. Many players, including the Denon 3800 flagship, will default to LPCM or some other format when doing secondary audio. If you are not using it, which most people don't, I would turn off secondary Audio, and just let it bitstream.

post #88 of 3245 Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

anyone see this behavior on the tuner: when locking into HD stations, it flips back and forth between analog and digital, even though the signal strength is perfectly fine?

post #89 of 3245 Old 12-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A couple questions:

1. How many people are experiencing the hum issue described here and in the Integra 9.9 thread? Most people with hum say it disappears when they unplug their HDMI cables.

2. Has anyone been able to confirm whether the Reon automatically (and unavoidably) stretches 4:3 material to 16:9, if the 4:3 is sent without side bars? If so, does this mean the Reon has to be bypasssed for 4:3 material, which seems like a shame.

Jeffnebraska
After 7 Years With a JVC RS1 - Starting to Get the Upgrade Itch
post #90 of 3245 Old 12-03-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNebraska View Post

2. Has anyone been able to confirm whether the Reon automatically (and unavoidably) stretches 4:3 material to 16:9, if the 4:3 is sent without side bars? If so, does this mean the Reon has to be bypasssed for 4:3 material, which seems like a shame.

2) Yes, unfortunately the Reon automatically (and unaviodably) stretches 4:3 material to 16:9 if the 4:3 is sent without side bars. However, you can get around this if your source can send 4:3 content with the sidebars already in place.

Apparantly Onkyo thinks that everyone wants their purty big new TV picture to be filled-up at all times.

Owners have been complaining about this for two years now but Onkyo still persists in doing it this way.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page